What If...? | NYK 1999-2000: We Still Believe

Tell stories based on your franchise and career mode games here.

Re: What If...? | NYK 1999-2000: We Still Believe

Postby Andrew on Tue Aug 06, 2019 1:27 pm

Nice to see Ewing having some solid games in a supporting role.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

What If...? | NYK 1999-2000: We Still Believe | G12 vs. DET

Postby kibaxx7 on Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:58 am

ImageImageImageImage

There was a dynamic duo at Madison Square Garden tonight -- and it wasn't the league's highest scoring pair.

Latrell Sprewell and Patrick Ewing led the New York Knicks to a 104-81 rout of the Detroit Pistons -- New York was up by as many as 28 after combining for 61 points in the middle two quarters. Sprewell led four Knicks in double figures with 31 points, six rebounds and five assists, as Ewing scored ten of his 23 during a 15-4 spark in the third quarter, sealing the hosts' their fifth straight win. "Latrell did a great job carrying the game," said head coach Jeff Van Gundy. "He gave his teammates a lot of chances to score." Sprewell and Allan Houston combined to shoot a disastrous 1-of-11 from beyond the arc, but the stat was salvaged by the Knicks going 46-30 in the paint and 44-32 on the glass. Houston posted 16 points, seven boards and tied his season-high of seven assists. "You have to take a win any day over your personal stats," Houston said. "I didn't shoot well, but I was going to do whatever I could to help out my team."

The Pistons had six fast break points and 19 assists compared to 16 and 27 for the Knicks, falling to a conference-worst 1-8 record. Jerry Stackhouse stood up for the visitors with 28 points and five assists as Grant Hill had 21 and six -- but the NBA's best scoring combo was 4-of-19 from long range. "We were a little bit slow in everything we did,'' Hill said. "It was up for grabs at halftime, but in the third they came out guns blazing." After their eighth loss in nine games, Detroit head coach Alvin Gentry scolded his team for failing to show up. "We didn't have any energy, and that's unacceptable. Only a couple of players stand up. Who are we moving forward with while we're rebuilding this? It's tough." Lindsey Hunter chipped in nine points and six dimes while staying perfect from the floor. The Pistons play six of their next eight at their home floor, hoping to reverse their luck. "We are going to need every win that we can get," Stackhouse said.

The Knicks made eight of their first 11 shots to open a 18-8 lead midway through the first -- a 10-3 run in the second gave them a 50-39 intermission lead. Detroit never recovered, and trailed 85-61 heading into the final frame. "The entire team was amazing. We were off the charts tonight," said Ewing, who had four rebounds on the offensive end for a total of seven, and limited Christian Laettner to eight points. The Knicks legend made 8-of-12 shots from the field -- many being strong dunks and open layups that were the product of the Pistons' struggling defense; to make matters worst for the losing squad, he and Sprewell were perfect from the charity stripe, making all 14 of their attempts. "My teammates were moving the ball and everyone was getting open looks,'' said John Wallace, who went 4-for-4 from the field for nine points -- with New York up by 19 in the third and with 26 points to his name, Sprewell went to the bench and Wallace answered the call. Larry Johnson scored 11 and five rebounds as New York improved to an East-best 5-2 record at home, winning their last five overall by an average margin of 14.2 points -- two more games at MSG follow, against Golden State and Toronto.
Image Image Image
Image Image Image
× Club Atlético Independiente. ×
× Watching:
Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba, Echo ×
× Watched:
Drunken Master (1978), Romeo + Juliet (1996), Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba - To the Hashira Training (2024) ×
kibaxx7
炭治郎

Postby kibaxx7 on Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:59 am

Andrew wrote:Nice to see Ewing having some solid games in a supporting role.

It's great to see Pat contributing like this. :bowdown:
× Watching:
× Watched:
Drunken Master (1978), Romeo + Juliet (1996), Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba - To the Hashira Training (2024) ×
kibaxx7
炭治郎

Postby Phil89 on Sun Aug 11, 2019 2:47 pm

Nice win. Those Pistons jerseys are giving me Live 99 flashbacks (Y)
My Stories
LIVE 10 - Thunder I, Thunder II
2K13 - Wizards / 2K15 - Sixers / 2K16 - Sixers / 2K17 - Suns / 2K19 - Thunder
Phil89

Postby Andrew on Sun Aug 11, 2019 5:03 pm

Still some of my favourite jerseys, even though a lot of people don't care for the colour.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

What If...? | NYK 1999-2000: We Still Believe | G13 vs. GS

Postby kibaxx7 on Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:42 pm

ImageImageImageImage

Four days of rest, and the Knicks never missed a beat.

New York used a 54-26 lead in the paint to thump the Golden State Warriors at Madison Square Garden, 95-73. Latrell Sprewell led with 22 points and Allan Houston posted 17, five boards and a season-best eight assists. "I'm just doing what I do every game," said Sprewell, who made just 9-of-22 shots but registered four rebounds, three assists and five steals. "I'm just playing my game and I pride myself in being the best basketball player I can." The Knicks never trailed en route to their sixth win in a row and eighth in their last ten games, pulling away for good midway through the second period; after a Larry Hughes midrange jumper drew the Warriors within 24-21 with 2:40 left in the first, six different Knicks scored in a 14-6 run that bridged the two quarters, pushing the advantage to 38-27. The Warriors cut it to a 6-point game, 42-36, but a 14-5 spark erased any chance of a turnaround. "We've had four days to prepare. We felt confident,'' said Houston. "We always want to be aggressive, go inside and get easy looks. We wound up controlling the game early.''

The Warriors, winners of three straight before tonight, were able to grab 16 offensive rebounds but failed to replicate that in the final score, shooting just 34 percent from the field and 27 percent from 3-point territory. Hughes and Donyell Marshall had 14 points each, with Antawn Jamison notching in 13 and 11 rebounds. "We didn't provide much resistance," said Marshall. "The Knicks are starting to play at a high level. They are starting to really play." After a 26-point, 7-assist statline in the previous match between the teams in October, Mookie Blaylock shot 2-of-14 for a season-low five points; Hughes, Jamison and Blaylock combined to shoot 4-of-20 from beyond the arc. "We've got some work to do," said Golden State head coach P.J. Carlesimo. "They scored inside, we didn't. They took care of the ball, we didn't. We couldn't make our long range shots and that gave us no chance." The Warriors played without Chris Mills, suffering from plantar fasciitis; to make matters worse, Adonal Foyle was sent crashing to the floor by Marcus Camby on a blocked attempt in the third and didn't return -- he had five points and eight boards.

"When they start yelling at you to shoot, you better shoot," said Larry Johnson, who had perhaps his best game of the season with 14 points and was 7-of-9 from the field. "I told him to shoot every time I throw it to him," Houston joked. Patrick Ewing added 14 of his own and 10 rebounds for his fifth double-double of the campaign, as seven Knicks were able to block shots and the team had ten; three by Camby and two by Ewing. Camby and Chris Childs tallied eight and six points, respectively, as reserves, as the Knicks closed the evening with a 7-0 run -- leading by as much as 26. "We are on a groove right now," said Childs. "Hopefully we can keep racking up victories." The hosts close their four-game homestand this Sunday by hosting the up-and-coming Toronto Raptors (8-4), winners of four in a row, before flying to Washington (5-8) and Dallas (7-6) to play back-to-back away contests on Tuesday and Wednesday.
Image Image Image
Image Image Image
× Watching:
× Watched:
kibaxx7
炭治郎

Postby kibaxx7 on Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:49 pm

Phil89 wrote:Nice win. Those Pistons jerseys are giving me Live 99 flashbacks (Y)

Andrew wrote:Still some of my favourite jerseys, even though a lot of people don't care for the colour.

I always loved the look which won the 'chip in '04, this one, not so much...
× Watching:
× Watched:
kibaxx7
炭治郎

Postby Andrew on Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:11 pm

I liked it for the way it stood out from other jerseys. It was admittedly a radical departure from their traditional colour scheme. Probably their best logo, though. The blue and red version was great as well.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Phil89 on Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:19 pm

Obviously it's a different era, but it must be fun beating the Warriors :)

Andrew wrote:I liked it for the way it stood out from other jerseys. It was admittedly a radical departure from their traditional colour scheme. Probably their best logo, though. The blue and red version was great as well.

I always thought the 90's era jerseys were cool looking. Phoenix, Detroit, Charlotte, Orlando, Seattle, Toronto and Utah especially.
My Stories
LIVE 10 - Thunder I, Thunder II
2K13 - Wizards / 2K15 - Sixers / 2K16 - Sixers / 2K17 - Suns / 2K19 - Thunder
Phil89

Postby Andrew on Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:36 pm

They were distinct. That's one of the things I liked best about them. Not every design has necessarily aged well, but they were creative and vibrant.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

What If...? | NYK 1999-2000: We Still Believe | G14 vs. TOR

Postby kibaxx7 on Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:55 pm

ImageImageImageImage

To Toronto's point guard rotation, Dee Brown and Alvin Williams: heal fast, your teammates are holding things down just fine.

Running away with a 19-point lead in the first moments of the third frame, the Raptors watched as New York crawled back and even were ahead again in the fourth, but ultimately ran out of fuel in a 89-82 setback. Latrell Sprewell led once again with 24 points and seven rebounds, with Allan Houston tallying 23 and a season-best 11, but the Knicks couldn't seal the deal down the stretch. "We found ourselves in a hole early," said Houston, "but we never gave up. It's a shame that we couldn't clinch the win but at least we fought until the very end." Larry Johnson added 13 points as the Knicks toppled the visitors on the fast break (20-4), inside scoring (38-26) and second chance points (14-2), but with the Raptors registering 24 assists on 33 field goals and season-bests in blocks (11) and turnovers (seven), it was a vast mountain to climb. "You start comparing our stats, you'd think we won," said Sprewell. "but we made a huge commitment in third quarter to come back and our legs felt pretty heavy." With the Raptors taking a 51-32 lead to start the third quarter after a 3-pointer by Doug Christie, New York finished the period with a 16-2 spark and took a 67-65 edge in the fourth, their first since 6-4, but could not maintain it.

The absences of its first and second point guard options, Brown (sore hamstring) and Williams (plantar fasciitis), obligated Raptors head coach Butch Carter to play Christie in the position and the decision proved to be fruitful, as he posted season-highs of 18 points and nine rebounds and limited Charlie Ward to just two points. Vince Carter shot 12-of-23 for a game-high 30 points as Toronto won its fifth straight contest. "We did what we had to do to win," said Carter, who grabbed six rebounds and dished four assists. Newcomer Antonio Davis had 12 points and limited Patrick Ewing to just eight. "I definitely wanted to be aggressive on both ends of the floor," said Davis. "Ewing got into foul trouble early and was never comfortable against me. That was a huge boost for us." Struggling with his jumper, as he made only 6-of-15 attempts for 15 points, Tracy McGrady contributed with season-highs of four rejections and seven dimes. "Whether it was taking my shot or looking for my teammates, it was about just making plays," McGrady commented. Acquired last year in the trade that sent Marcus Camby to the Big Apple, Charles Oakley notched in four points, six boards and five assists.

Ewing was never a factor as he sank just 4-of-15 from the floor and six of his eight points came in the first quarter, with the Raptors racing to a 32-19 advantage -- unable to play through him, New York fell behind and could not match Toronto's energy. With four fouls to his name in the first half, he was never able to recover and fouled out with 3:14 left in the evening. "We needed to go out there and handle business and we didn't do that. I didn't do that," said Ewing. "I was not as focused on offense as I should be." Sprewell, Houston and Johnson made just three Knicks in double figures as the team's bench scored only 12 points -- seven by Chris Childs and four by Camby. "The problem was how well they moved the ball and played off each other," said head coach Jeff Van Gundy. "They did a great job of kicking our butt early and then handled their defense pretty well." The Knicks now play four of their next five away from Madison Square Garden, with stops at Washington, Dallas, Detroit and Utah.
Image Image Image
Image Image Image
Last edited by kibaxx7 on Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
× Watching:
× Watched:
kibaxx7
炭治郎

Postby kibaxx7 on Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:00 pm

Andrew wrote:I liked it for the way it stood out from other jerseys. It was admittedly a radical departure from their traditional colour scheme. Probably their best logo, though. The blue and red version was great as well.

That was their best logo, I'm with you on that.

Phil89 wrote:Obviously it's a different era, but it must be fun beating the Warriors :)

Thanks Phil. Yeah, it was fun. They have an athletic duo in Jamison and Hughes but they are still young.

Phil89 wrote:I always thought the 90's era jerseys were cool looking. Phoenix, Detroit, Charlotte, Orlando, Seattle, Toronto and Utah especially.

Andrew wrote:They were distinct. That's one of the things I liked best about them. Not every design has necessarily aged well, but they were creative and vibrant.

It was a unique era, I will tell you that. :mrgreen:
× Watching:
× Watched:
kibaxx7
炭治郎

Postby Andrew on Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:35 pm

Shame the rally fell short. Back then, I thought the Knicks and Raptors might be developing a rivalry. It'd be fun if it happened here.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

What If...? | NYK 1999-2000: We Still Believe | G15 @ WAS

Postby kibaxx7 on Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:44 pm

ImageImageImageImage

One, two, three -- it didn't matter how many Wizards joined forces to try and stop Latrell Sprewell.

Sprewell made 11-of-19 from the field, including three long range bombs, for 29 points as the New York Knicks stunned the Washington Wizards in a wire-to-wire 101-84 victory. It was a close one to start the contest, but the Knicks used a 13-4 spark in the second period to pull away for good and take a 47-37 lead. "Scoring isn't everything, but of course, I'm glad my shot is falling," said Sprewell, who added six rebounds and a season-best four blocks. "I try to do a little bit of everything and help my partners in crime get the job done." The Knicks needed to get back on winning ways after a 19-point comeback to Toronto fell short on Sunday. "I think we bounced back pretty well," Patrick Ewing said. "We played hard from beginning to finish, and we executed everything." Similarly to other games this season, New York was able to clinch the win despite allowing its opponent to grab a season-high number on offensive rebounds (19). The visitors countered that with a fast break fest (28-6) and with nine rejections by five different players. Ewing and Allan Houston notched in 14 points apiece for the winners, finishing with 48 percent shooting from the floor (37-of-77).

As mentioned, the Wizards collected a season-best 19 rebounds on offense -- four each by Lorenzo Williams, Jahidi White and Aaron Williams, but could not mirror that on their scoring. Mitch Richmond stepped up for Washington with 17 points but shot just 4-of-12. "It feels like we lost, much more than they won," said Richmond. "We had the opportunities in the paint but we had a tough time converting them, so we have a lot of work to do." Rod Strickland just missed a triple-double, with 12 points, nine rebounds and 10 assists, but the hosts counted just 3 of 18 attempts from beyond the arc and never led, struggling to contain Sprewell and New York's fast break power -- they have lost four of their last five games, all by double digits. "Getting wins in front of your fans is key. We couldn't defend when we needed it the most," Strickland said. "We have not been getting stops lately. We're not going to win games like that." Tracy Murray and rookie Richard Hamilton, as a reserve, made four Wizards in double figures with 11 and 10 points, respectively. President Bill Clinton attended the game.

For the Knicks, Larry Johnson posted 15 points, but suffered a bruised hip after colliding with White, 5:41 remaining in the fourth frame; he didn't return to the court and looks set to miss a week of action. "I'm getting re-evaluated tomorrow, but it doesn't look good," said Johnson, who will fly back to New York tomorrow morning. Off the bench, Marcus Camby and Kurt Thomas combined to supply the Knicks with 17 points and 11 boards; Charlie Ward was limited to just two points, but dished 12 assists. "I'm more than satisfied with my role," said Ward, 5th in the NBA in assists per game. "I'm not a scorer, but you can be sure I'm going to bring energy to the floor and assist my teammates." New York completes its fourth back-to-back of the season tomorrow at Dallas (7-7). "There's always room for improvement, but I think our intensity level for all four periods tonight was off the charts," head coach Jeff Van Gundy said. "It obviously hurts to not have Larry with us next week, but we will try to work around that."
Image Image Image
Image Image Image
× Watching:
× Watched:
kibaxx7
炭治郎

Postby kibaxx7 on Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:46 pm

Andrew wrote:Shame the rally fell short. Back then, I thought the Knicks and Raptors might be developing a rivalry. It'd be fun if it happened here.

Thanks 'Drew. It was a fun game, I would love to see the VC/T-Mac partnership continue here.
× Watching:
× Watched:
kibaxx7
炭治郎

Postby Andrew on Thu Aug 22, 2019 2:00 pm

Solid win, shame about LJ though.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Murat on Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:25 am

brother prove me wrong.
Murat
Contributor
Contributor

Postby kibaxx7 on Wed Oct 30, 2019 11:53 pm

Murat wrote:brother prove me wrong.

Think whatever you want to think, man. I won't hold a grudge. Six months with my girlfriend and counting, and I have a pretty demanding job, so my free time is almost zero. But I lost this files anyway -- I'm waiting for a cheaper 2k20 to try something new and sim most of it, because I really want to try and share something with the forum.
× Watching:
× Watched:
kibaxx7
炭治郎

Previous

Return to Stories from the Virtual Hardwood