Season yearbook and other association quirks and oddities

Tell stories based on your franchise and career mode games here.

Season yearbook and other association quirks and oddities

Postby Maxie the Miner on Sun Jan 27, 2019 8:59 am

I’ve really been enjoying the NBA 2K13 Vintage Mod (pat the head) and while getting my 1949-20xx association underway, it made me think of some of the strange ways I run my franchise. Below are a few of my goofy “rules” I try to stick by to make the game enjoyable for me. I’m curious to hear what others do for association modes.

*Based on Denver Nuggets historical teams
1. I try to stick with the team I’m dealt. (This makes the game challenging as I find I can abuse the trades too easily)
2. I must draft any players that come out of Colorado. (University of Colorado, Colorado State, Northern Colorado, Air Force, University of Denver) This usually means I get some scrubs but I like the concept of an all local team building hometown loyalty.
3. I’m allowed to draft former Nuggets or Nuggets coaches(Mutumbo, Issel, Doug Moe, George Karl, English etc)
4. I prefer cyber faces to portraits for immersion (not sure why) so I zero out the portraits in RED MC, just a preference
5. Cleared records in the roster file. All records are set as the seasons progress. Makes chasing records kind of fun.
6. No simming any games unless I’m ahead by +20. I let the assistants take aver after that.
7. No pausing if I need to grab a drink or use the restroom or take a call. (put in coach mode until I get back)
8. Create a “yearbook” after each year with the roster and season awards. (see image below)
As a person who plays association almost exclusively, the mods and tools here have been the best basketball gaming experience I’ve ever had. (first game was Lakers vs Celtics on SEGA Genesis so it’s been a while!) Thanks to the community for the content.
Hope your associations are going well!
Last edited by Maxie the Miner on Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
Hoops gaming favorites: Lakers vs Celtics (SEGA), NBA Live 95 (SNES), NBA Live 97 (PSOne) College Hoops 2K8 (XBOX 360), NBA 2K11 (PC), NBA 2K13 Vintage Mod (PC)
Maxie the Miner

Re: Your Association oddities, habits, quirks and preferences.

Postby [Q] on Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:59 am

I've always liked doing fantasy drafts to collect players that I like.
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Maxie the Miner on Sun Jan 27, 2019 1:06 pm

Yeah that's definitely a way to shake things up in the league. I also used to enjoy the auto generated players in CH2k8. Plenty of fun year over year with random players.
Hoops gaming favorites: Lakers vs Celtics (SEGA), NBA Live 95 (SNES), NBA Live 97 (PSOne) College Hoops 2K8 (XBOX 360), NBA 2K11 (PC), NBA 2K13 Vintage Mod (PC)
Maxie the Miner

Postby Andrew on Sun Jan 27, 2019 8:21 pm

I've preferred not to trade too much or stack my team, as I find myself losing interest. There are times when I've broken that rule and it's worked out, though on at least one occasion, it took some subsequent trades to fix the mess I'd created. I'm also not one for fantasy drafts as I find that shakes up reality too much out of the gate, though that's just personal preference. I can see how much fun they've been for other people over the years.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby sticky-fingers on Sun Jan 27, 2019 8:41 pm

Yet, I havent start a real association this year, with all the new sliders, it's perhaps harder to have a stacked team.
sticky-fingers

Postby Maxie the Miner on Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:48 am

I'm with you Andrew in that I try and keep the excessive trades to a minimum. I like the idea of struggling a bit and developing average players. Makes the victories much sweeter! As I mentioned above, I try and keep hometown players on the squad which makes things difficult as they typically aren't that great. It's the little things. :)
Maxie the Miner

Return to Stories from the Virtual Hardwood