OKC: Part III - Tough ending in Milwaukee

Tell stories based on your franchise and career mode games here.

Re: OKC: Part III [63-17] - Pistons beaten + Injury

Postby Andrew on Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:33 pm

Hell of a second half for him, but great team effort in the second quarter!
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby wdt92 on Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:12 am

Foul trouble or not for Rus, Paul George must have been an easy target in the 2nd for Westbrook. 39 points for PG and 17 assists for Westbrook! Noel was awesome also shooting 80% and anchoring the defense with his 3 blocks. Very good game edging closer to the Playoffs!
wdt92

Postby Phil89 on Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:33 pm

Andrew wrote:Hell of a second half for him, but great team effort in the second quarter!

wdt92 wrote:Foul trouble or not for Rus, Paul George must have been an easy target in the 2nd for Westbrook. 39 points for PG and 17 assists for Westbrook! Noel was awesome also shooting 80% and anchoring the defense with his 3 blocks. Very good game edging closer to the Playoffs!

It seems to work really well for me when Westbrook is feeding George all game.

Noel has been surprising this season. I expected him to just be an athletic defender, but he has actually been my most reliable bench scorer.

Just looking beyond the playoffs, the timing is lining up pretty well for me here in terms of the real life off-season. Free agency should be under way by the time I finish the playoffs.

I implemented most real life trades this season (apart from trading Schroder to the Pacers). But I'm wondering if I should continue that into the off-season with free agency and the draft?

Free agency shouldn't be too difficult to replicate, but the draft picks will mostly be in a different order to real life and that would complicate things.

I could do a bunch of 'unofficial' trades to put the picks in the correct order. But that would make it weird with the in-game canon of where the teams finished. (E.g. the Pelicans look like having a pick around #10, but would be getting pick 1 for Zion. The Hornets would be the exact opposite, falling from a likely top 3 pick to #12.)

Also there are 4 of the 60 draft picks who aren't in my draft class right now. I could always create them, I guess. They are all second round picks though, so it's probably not vital how accurate I make them.

Basically I've got three options:
1) Keep the realism going by replicating real life free agency + draft selections and draft trades
2) Do major real life off-season moves but let the draft play out naturally (Picks stay where the teams finished in-game)
3) Diverge from real life completely and make up my own storylines for free agency and the draft

I should probably say that I do like the realism aspect. Having updated rosters/new draftees in the game is always a lure when a new version of the game comes out. Doing it myself will probably keep my interest in this game going longer.
My Stories
LIVE 10 - Thunder I, Thunder II
2K13 - Wizards / 2K15 - Sixers / 2K16 - Sixers / 2K17 - Suns / 2K19 - Thunder
Phil89

Postby Andrew on Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:25 pm

It sounds like realism is the way to go, even if you have to bend reality to mimic real life.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby wdt92 on Sat Jun 22, 2019 12:31 am

I'm in complete agreement with Andrew, though I wanted to give a suggestion or an idea I had reading your issue following the off-season. It's actually something that Cavs4872 suggested to me when I lost my Cavaliers save, so I want to give him credit for this advice.

The way we do stories proposes a distinct advantage in that the audience will not know anything that you do not tell us. So, with that in mind, while teams finish Playoff birth, or have whatever record, I think you can manipulate it so we can make "the draft is rigged" posts. You could even have it so a previous trade before this year had the pick swap. Like right now, in real life, no one expected the lottery (or crazy draft) that we got. It changed the entire expectation of how the results of the league will go moving forward. So, with that in mind, I think the best thing would be fitting your interest and manipulate the lottery to match real life.

Regarding the four second round picks you're missing, if it affects your interest I'd add them. If it doesn't, I'd ignore them until they prove interesting in real life. You could always add them as undrafted players in the game. Plus it will give them even more of a chip on their shoulder to prove themselves in your story. Hope this helps out with your decision making! :)
wdt92

Postby Phil89 on Sat Jun 22, 2019 3:16 pm

Thanks guys. I was leaning towards option 1.

I decided to download a more recently updated draft class (which ruined all the scouting that I'd done, but the picks are already set so it doesn't matter).

It had like 55 of the draftees, so I just quickly added the remaining ones. I think it also has some of the undrafted guys who got signed after the draft as well, so that's nice.

Swapping all the picks around will be a bit tedious, but it shouldn't be too difficult.

Maybe I can just put the draft order down to "drunk Adam Silver mixing-up paperwork", like I did when I accidentally moved Sacramento to the Northwest division for a season in my Phoenix game :lol: :oops:
My Stories
Phil89

Postby Phil89 on Sun Jun 23, 2019 12:15 am

9/4/19

Oklahoma City Thunder [63-17] vs Houston Rockets [63-18]

Thunder hold off late surge by Rockets to secure second seed

OKC | 35 | 25 | 36 | 28 | 124 |
HOU | 14 | 29 | 29 | 44 | 116 |

Player of the Game: Paul George
(37pts, 2reb, 2ast, 5stl, 1blk)

(16-26 FG, 1-2 3PT, 4-5 FT)

Simmed Game

MIL | 10 | 34 | 16 | 28 | 88 |
OKC | 14 | 31 | 22 | 26 | 93 |

POTG: Russell Westbrook (28pts, 8reb, 7ast, 2stl, 2blk)

Record: 65-17
My Stories
Phil89

Re: OKC: Part III [65-17] - Battle for second seed vs Rockets

Postby Andrew on Sun Jun 23, 2019 12:42 am

Good job securing the second seed. Hell of a run by the Rockets after that first quarter, though.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby wdt92 on Sun Jun 23, 2019 2:29 pm

Great game by all the guys. I am growing fond seeing Noel start pushing the score up and rebounding well. While his blocks aren't there in comparison to the Big Kiwi, but if Noel continues to produce well, are you considering moving Adams' contract?
wdt92

Postby Phil89 on Sun Jun 23, 2019 5:36 pm

Andrew wrote:Good job securing the second seed. Hell of a run by the Rockets after that first quarter, though.

When Paul George scored the same amount of points as the Rockets in the first quarter it did seem like it was going to be an easy victory.

But credit to them, they fought back and made us fight until the final buzzer.

wdt92 wrote:Great game by all the guys. I am growing fond seeing Noel start pushing the score up and rebounding well. While his blocks aren't there in comparison to the Big Kiwi, but if Noel continues to produce well, are you considering moving Adams' contract?

I have thought about trading Adams for a wing scorer and using Noel as a starter. But it would have to be for a good player. My ideal target would be Bradley Beal, although I'm not sure I have enough assets to get him.

Any trade would probably have to wait until a few months into next season though because I'm gonna try to stick as close to real life as I can this off-season. After that point I'm probably going to move away from copying real life transactions and create some original narratives.
My Stories
Phil89

Postby wdt92 on Sun Jun 23, 2019 10:41 pm

Phil89 wrote:I have thought about trading Adams for a wing scorer and using Noel as a starter. But it would have to be for a good player. My ideal target would be Bradley Beal, although I'm not sure I have enough assets to get him.

Any trade would probably have to wait until a few months into next season though because I'm gonna try to stick as close to real life as I can this off-season. After that point I'm probably going to move away from copying real life transactions and create some original narratives.

The interesting thing will be if you're forced to trade him, Roberson, or Schroder. I don't know if you've kept up with it, but OKC has been reportedly shopping those guys to drop salary. So, we'll have to see, but you may be making that trade you want soon enough. ;)
wdt92

Postby RMJH4 on Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:57 am

Hell of a season man. Just caught up on it. Great to see PG13 beasting still. Yeah I'd move Adams as Noel seems to be doing quite well for you. I'm always torn with draft picks etc when doing a modern season. I live on hoopshype and realgm so hard not to want to integrate any new transactions etc!
RMJH4
Retro NBA Nut

Postby Phil89 on Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:24 pm

10/4/19

2018-19 NBA Season Summary

Division Standings

Eastern Conference

-----

Western Conference

-----

Playoff Seeds & Power Rankings

Eastern Conference

Western Conference

Power Rankings

-----

League Leaders

-----

Monthly and Weekly Awards

-----

Rookies Ranking

-----

Injuries

Transactions

04/03/19 - Milwaukee re-signed Eric Bledsoe (4yr/$70m)

08/03/19 - Atlanta signed Jordan Crawford (1yr/$1.5m)
08/03/19 - New York signed Sean Kilpatrick (1yr/$1.5m)
08/03/19 - Toronto signed Al Jefferson (1yr/$1.5m)

19/03/19 - Detroit signed Joe Johnson (1yr/$1.5m)
My Stories
Phil89

Postby Phil89 on Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:39 pm

wdt92 wrote:
Phil89 wrote:I have thought about trading Adams for a wing scorer and using Noel as a starter. But it would have to be for a good player. My ideal target would be Bradley Beal, although I'm not sure I have enough assets to get him.

The interesting thing will be if you're forced to trade him, Roberson, or Schroder. I don't know if you've kept up with it, but OKC has been reportedly shopping those guys to drop salary. So, we'll have to see, but you may be making that trade you want soon enough. ;)

Yeah, I read today that apparently wanted to trade Adams to the Kings for Bogdanovic, but they weren't interested. Also that Boston may be interested in him. Hopefully Sam Presti doesn't screw me with a bad trade :lol:

I actually like Adams as a player. It's just that with OKC's cap situation, he is the most expendable because of his contract size and because he actually has some decent value being 25 years old.

seaboh13 wrote:Hell of a season man. Just caught up on it. Great to see PG13 beasting still. Yeah I'd move Adams as Noel seems to be doing quite well for you. I'm always torn with draft picks etc when doing a modern season. I live on hoopshype and realgm so hard not to want to integrate any new transactions etc!

That would be a plan. The only problem is that Noel has a $2 million player option for next season. He may opt out and try to get paid more.
My Stories
Phil89

Re: OKC: Part III [65-17] - 2018-19 Season summary

Postby wdt92 on Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:50 pm

I just watched Iso Joe vs. Greg Oden in the Big 3 League, so I may be biased in this, but it might turn out being a good signing by Detroit to get Joe Johnson. Though I wish he would have been signed by a championship contender just as another option off the bench. In the game, I imagine his ratings aren't great though.

Toronto getting Big Al is kind of meh to me. He's gained a bunch of weight, so his game has definitely slipped more than Joe. Also, with their big rotations (and I don't believe you've had any huge injuries to their squad), I don't think Al could really help them.

Back on our trade talk, I really like the Big Kiwi. I think Adams is great. It's primarily his contract vs. what he offers is what hurts the Thunder as you said. He is really good at what he does, but it is kind of like Capela for Houston. He's replaceable by someone who you could get for much less. I think given the right trade, even giving Noel $8 Million shouldn't hurt you too badly. I think even if need be, you could trade Roberson to make the cap room. If I recall correctly, you still have Grant and I know you have Ferguson who can offer a healthier production than Roberson in the 20 or so minutes you've given him. You actually are in a really good position moving forward (again, unless Presti throws a curveball this Summer :lol:).
wdt92

Postby Andrew on Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:41 am

For sentimental reasons, it'd be great to hold onto Adams. In real life he's a class act and by all accounts a great teammate on top of being effective in his role. He's also had quite a few great games for you here, so it'd be hard to give him up. Tough decision with Noel and the contracts, though.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Phil89 on Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:35 pm

10/4/19

Westbrook crowned MVP for second time in three years after outstanding season

Oklahoma City Thunder point guard Russell Westbrook was named the 2018-19 Most Valuable Player at the NBA awards show on Monday night.

The annual awards show was moved up to April this year after negative feedback from fans. Many had voiced their opinion on social media that it was absurd to have to wait until after the playoffs were over before learning who had won the regular season awards.

Westbrook, 30, narrowly came out on top of James Harden, Giannis Antetokounmpo and Stephen Curry in a four-way race to win the most coveted individual award on offer.

The voting was the closest in recent memory. Voters were in agreement that those four were the top four players in the league, just not as to which order they were.

James Harden will be feeling quite unlucky. This is the second time he has finished runner-up to Westbrook in this award, after 2017. He also finished second to Curry in 2015, but won it in 2018.

MVP Candidates Voting

MVP Candidates Stats

Westbrook couldn't quite match his triple-double average from the past two seasons this time around. But his efficiency increased and he led his team to 65 wins, which earned them second place in the extremely competitive Western conference.

It was perhaps the best season of Westbrook's career to date. In addition to winning his second MVP, he was also selected on the All-NBA First team for the third time and the All-Defense First team for the first time. He also participated in his eighth All-Star game in February.

The fact that Oklahoma City won so many games and pushed the overwhelming championship favourites Golden State right down to the wire in the race for the first seed really cemented Westbrook's claim.

He led the franchise to their greatest ever winning season, surpassing the 64 wins in 1995-96 when they were still based in Seattle. Or, if you like to keep that history separate, the 2012-13 season when they won 60 games.

Winning a second MVP trophy puts him level with Bob Pettit, Karl Malone, Tim Duncan, Steve Nash and Stephen Curry. It's a truly great achievement for a player who for a long time was considered the 'Robin' to Kevin Durant's 'Batman' during their time as teammates.

Now Russell has twice as many MVP trophies as Durant and there has been a full reversal in how both players are perceived by fans. It used to be said that Durant was the golden boy in Oklahoma City, who had a streaky high-volume shooter in Westbrook as dead weight holding him back from greatness.

But ever since Durant left the Thunder and joined Golden State, Westbrook has taken his game to another level and demonstrated that he can effectively lead a team himself. Whilst Durant is constantly ridiculed for taking 'the easy path' to championships by joining a historically stacked team.

Statistically this was Westbrook's lowest scoring output since the the 2013-14 season. However, the points appear to have been sacrificed in favour of getting better shots and getting his teammates involved on offense.

His assist average remained in double figures for the fourth straight season, whilst his turnover numbers were the second-lowest of his career.

Most impressive was his shooting efficiency across the board. He shot a career-best 51% from the field and 34% from the perimeter. Strangely though his free throw shooting was significant down on his career average at just 62%.

Defensively he was also improved. His 2.2 steals per game was another new career best. He recorded an unbelievable 11 steals in a 138-115 win against the Chicago Bulls on December 17th.

They came as part of his incredible quadruple-double effort which also saw him score 31 points, grab 12 rebounds and dish out 20 assists. It was undoubtedly one of the best games he has ever played.

Chicago point guard Ryan Arcidiacono will be having nightmares about that game for the rest of his life. It was the first quadruple-double in the NBA since David Robinson logged 34 points, 10 rebounds, 10 assists, and 10 blocks in a game against the Pistons back in 1994.

He also came incredibly close to a quadruple-double just a month earlier against Phoenix. He finished that game with 21 points, 11 rebounds, 11 assists and 9 steals.

Notable Games
My Stories
Phil89

Postby Phil89 on Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:43 pm

wdt92 wrote:I just watched Iso Joe vs. Greg Oden in the Big 3 League, so I may be biased in this, but it might turn out being a good signing by Detroit to get Joe Johnson. Though I wish he would have been signed by a championship contender just as another option off the bench. In the game, I imagine his ratings aren't great though.

Toronto getting Big Al is kind of meh to me. He's gained a bunch of weight, so his game has definitely slipped more than Joe. Also, with their big rotations (and I don't believe you've had any huge injuries to their squad), I don't think Al could really help them.

Back on our trade talk, I really like the Big Kiwi. I think Adams is great. It's primarily his contract vs. what he offers is what hurts the Thunder as you said. He is really good at what he does, but it is kind of like Capela for Houston. He's replaceable by someone who you could get for much less. I think given the right trade, even giving Noel $8 Million shouldn't hurt you too badly. I think even if need be, you could trade Roberson to make the cap room. If I recall correctly, you still have Grant and I know you have Ferguson who can offer a healthier production than Roberson in the 20 or so minutes you've given him. You actually are in a really good position moving forward (again, unless Presti throws a curveball this Summer :lol:).

I have a few players who are athletic but not great scorers (Noel, Grant, Diallo, Ferguson). If I can turn them into 10 ppg players I'll be very happy.

Andrew wrote:For sentimental reasons, it'd be great to hold onto Adams. In real life he's a class act and by all accounts a great teammate on top of being effective in his role. He's also had quite a few great games for you here, so it'd be hard to give him up. Tough decision with Noel and the contracts, though.

It's a tough one. I like him and he's a good player. But I'd love him to take a step up and become an all-star level player to earn his contract.
My Stories
Phil89

Re: OKC: Part III [65-17] - 2019 MVP Voting: Curry, Harden, Westbrook or Giannis?

Postby Andrew on Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:00 pm

Good to see Westbrook pick up the MVP. I reckon the real awards ceremony should be between the regular season and Playoffs, as in 2K. It'd make a lot more sense.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: OKC: Part III [65-17] - 2019 MVP Voting: Curry, Harden, Westbrook or Giannis?

Postby Phil89 on Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:13 am

Andrew wrote:Good to see Westbrook pick up the MVP. I reckon the real awards ceremony should be between the regular season and Playoffs, as in 2K. It'd make a lot more sense.

Russ definitely deserved it. He improved his shooting efficiency, his defense and and he basically dragged this team to 65 wins. Shame about the triple-double average though :doh:

The game doesn't do MVP voting, so I figured I'd do it myself to add a bit of story depth. Those 4 guys seemed to be the stand-outs when I combined their stats with their team records.

It is pretty silly that they delay announcing the award winners for so long. It just doesn't make sense from a PR standpoint to make fans wait so long that they lose interest or even completely forget about it.
My Stories
Phil89

Postby wdt92 on Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:16 am

The late MVP voting also allows easy access to criticize the eventual winner. I already saw Max Kellerman have the "neither Giannis or Harden deserved it" take in real life. When we all know a few months back he was singing Giannis' praises. It then seeps into the fanbase, which hurts the credibility of the award. At least, in my opinion.

I really liked what you did here with your post summarizing the Award show. I mean, it is missing Chris Tucker and Shaq in some goofy skits, a bit of awkward stand-up, and along with a Shaq rap that had only Giannis, Jerry West, Kenny, and Chuck care - but you know, it's a nice alternative. :lol:

It was awesome seeing our boy Rus get the MVP! I really liked the statistical breakdown and the logic as to why he deserved it over the higher scorers and better records. Out of curiosity, did you have anyone else close to getting another award? :)
wdt92

Postby Andrew on Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:42 pm

Averaging a triple-double is easier in MyCAREER, where the gameplay is anything but sim!

Still takes a bit of an effort, but in a way easier when you can focus on fudging your own stats.

wdt92 wrote:The late MVP voting also allows easy access to criticize the eventual winner. I already saw Max Kellerman have the "neither Giannis or Harden deserved it" take in real life. When we all know a few months back he was singing Giannis' praises. It then seeps into the fanbase, which hurts the credibility of the award. At least, in my opinion.

Agreed. And while it's inaccurate/unfair to say that about those players given the season they had, the award does lose its lustre when the season is over and done with, and the champion already crowned.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Phil89 on Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:06 pm

wdt92 wrote:Out of curiosity, did you have anyone else close to getting another award? :)

Billy Donovan won Coach of the Year. I think Nerlens Noel was in the top 5 for Sixth Man as well.

Paul George had a good season, but not good enough to be in contention for any awards sadly.

Andrew wrote:Averaging a triple-double is easier in MyCAREER, where the gameplay is anything but sim!

Still takes a bit of an effort, but in a way easier when you can focus on fudging your own stats.

Only 1.9 blocks per game? Your Wilt Chamberlain/John Stockton hybrid player is slacking on defense :wink:

Triple-doubles are hard because a lot of the PG that Westbrook has to guard are good perimeter shooters. So I can't sag off to grab rebounds too often. Also the sim engine.

We'll see what his numbers look like in the playoffs when I'm in control of every game.
My Stories
Phil89

Postby Andrew on Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:54 pm

Third highest total blocks in the league in Year 2, mind you! Managed to be top ten in each category though (tops in points, assists, and steals), so I was pleased with that. Utterly destroyed the league and its records. MyCAREER is not sim!

I definitely did wander a bit to pad my rebounding stats. As I said, it's easier in MyCAREER because you can only control your player, so you can pick your opportunities without giving up (too many) open shots.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Phil89 on Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:51 pm

11/4/19

2018-19 Season Awards

Most Valuable Player

Sixth Man of the Year

Defensive Player of the Year

Most Improved Player

Rookie of the Year

Coach of the Year

-----

2018-19 Team Honours

All-NBA Teams