Primed to Ignite :: NBA Live 10 | Rockets fall into 1-3 hole

Tell stories based on your franchise and career mode games here.

Re: Primed to Ignite [28-13] | Boston sends Pierce to OKC in blockbuster

Postby [Hyperize] on Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:54 pm

Rockets demoralized in San Antonio
January 22, 2010

It wasn't as bad as their loss in Cleveland, but the Rockets dropped this contest by 17. They trailed by over 20, but were able to trim it to single digits in the fourth, but ran out of steam. Rick Adelman elected to bring T-Mac off the bench again, who led the Rockets in points and minutes, with 29 and 30 respectively. He may be too good to consider this tactic in the future. Tony Parker led the Spurs with 22 points, 9 assists and 6 rebounds; in fact, the Spurs had trio of 22-point scorers, in Parker, Ginobili and Richard Jefferson.

The Rockets definitely have a penchant of losing big to the league's elite, but have a chance to bounce back at home tomorrow night against a sub-.500 Bulls squad; Yao Ming has been linked to Derrick Rose in trade rumors, so perhaps this will be something of a tryout for Rose, who comes in averaging 19 and 7. The Bulls have been without Luol Deng for the majority of the season, who is nursing a sore wrist, but has rehabbed his way into a bench role.

phpBB [video]

Yao with a hammer off a Diaw miss.
[Hyperize]

Re: Primed to Ignite [28-14] | Tough loss in San Antonio

Postby [Hyperize] on Sun Oct 07, 2018 5:04 pm

Rockets lose double-OT thriller to Bulls
January 23, 2010

Another day, another botched game winner for T-Mac, this time blocked by Brad Miller. Many were speculating this was D-Rose's tryout for the Rockets, and he did not fail: 37 points and 8 assists, but more importantly, Kirk Hinrich (a name who was also thrown in the deal) had 36 points himself.

This was a game that took two overtimes to decide, and the Bulls prevailed by a point: click here to check out the end of regulation (you can't stop that Hinrich BS, and we caught a break with Miller [I thought I won it with Yao; I wasn't paying attention]), and here for both OT's! (you also can't stop that Rose shot at 4:07, or the Hinrich shot at 7:43, and then my open shots don't go in - rebounding and shot contest physics are bad)

Another run of the mill night for Houston: T-Mac packed 32 points, Yao got his 23 & 12 double-double and a very nice surprise was Carlos Arroyo, who had 10 points off the bench; he was a throw-in in the Charlotte deal, but was thrust into the backup PG spot and has had a rocky go so far, but tonight was his best performance. He even nailed a three, which he particularly struggles at.

In reality, this game has hardly any implications on the trade rumor; Houston was aware of what Rose was capable of, and Hinrich once again proved he can still fill it up as a 1 or 2 (starter or backup).

phpBB [video]

T-Mac gets his own rebound and dishes out to Felton, who wisely passes up his shot to Artest for a better look.

phpBB [video]

Classic Noah.

There it is.

Around the NBA
:arrow: Stern forces Boston to send OKC consolation first-round pick in Durant deal
:arrow: After scorching start, Clippers drop below .500
:arrow: After overtaking Rockets as West's best (tied), Spurs lose Ginobili for 1 month with wrist problems

Editor's note: I have to drop back down to Pro; I'm getting blown out by teams in my tier, and just hanging around with worse.

I'm also having way too much fun with this game; I didn't know 2K19 would drop and I would spend more time playing this. :lol:
[Hyperize]

Re: Primed to Ignite [28-15] | Tough loss in San Antonio & double-OT loss to Bulls

Postby Andrew on Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:44 pm

That was indeed an embarrassing shot by Noah. With his lack of touch around the basket though, it's not exactly unrealistic.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: Primed to Ignite [28-15] | Tough loss in San Antonio & double-OT loss to Bulls

Postby [Hyperize] on Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:36 am

Rockets.com
Simmed Games

Rockets come up with big OT win over Hawks, 145-141: Diaw and McGrady score 28 each to fend off Johnson's 34 in classic. Three Hawks froncourt players (Horford, Josh Smith, Marvin Williams) have double-doubles, while Bibby drops 14 dimes.

Rockets thrash Nuggets, 114-80: Battier has 22 huge bench points.

Trail Blazers overtake Rockets as conference's best in 95-89 win: Felton scores 23, but Roy goes ballistic with 44; earlier in the season he dropped 45 on us at Toyota, so we better hope to not see him in the Playoffs.

Rockets with 121-97 statement win over Suns: Four Rockets (Diaw, Artest, T-Mac, Felton) score 20+, while Wafer adds an efficient 19 off the bench.

Rockets take care of Dubs, 98-89: T-Mac has an efficient 23 to hold off OG Splash Brothers, Curry and Ellis.

Rockets hold Grizzlies to franchise-low in 84-51 W: Grizzlies: 22 turnovers, Gay DNP.

Rockets hold back-to-back teams to franchise-lows in 67-54 victory over 6ers: Artest: 22 points and 10 boards.

Rockets go into ASW with disappointing road loss to lowly Heat, 91-76 All-Star Wade drops 39

Yao named All-Star, Kobe snubbed?
February 7, 2010

Bryant is a top 10 scorer in the league, leading the 32-20 Lakers with 22 PPG. He has only missed seven games this season, meanwhile, Portland has three All-Stars, but oddly LaMarcus Aldridge did not make the game over Oden, even though he is outperforming him in every category. LeBron will miss the game as he is expected to miss a month with a broken nose.

Results: East topples West 150-128, Soph's outlast Rookies 153-140 (forget to check who made the teams)

Around the NBA
:arrow: Rockets' bench takes hit: Wafer to miss a month with back spasms
:arrow: Milwaukee sends Gadzuric and Delfino to Spurs for Mason and Bonner
[Hyperize]

Re: Primed to Ignite [34-17] | Going into ASW

Postby Andrew on Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:50 am

The sim engine and its weird All-Star/Awards selection criteria strikes again!
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Breems on Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:06 am

Wow. 4 years later and Live still can't get Kobe in the All-Star game. Did you sim the All-Star game?
Breems
Back in my day...

Postby [Hyperize] on Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:25 am

Andrew wrote:The sim engine and its weird All-Star/Awards selection criteria strikes again!

lol, yup! I realized they have to choose a certain number of players per position, so that's probably why there were some odd choices, but even Andre Miller is having a solid season (like 18 points and 8 APG), and I think the Blazers are the best team in the west.

Breems wrote:Wow. 4 years later and Live still can't get Kobe in the All-Star game. Did you sim the All-Star game?

Yeah, I did sim it. I'm getting a little impatient; trying to plow my way into the playoffs, but I still have quite a ways to go.
[Hyperize]

Postby [Hyperize] on Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:40 pm

Bulls, Magic among remodeled teams at deadline
February 18, 2010

Movers and shakers at the deadline: Rose, Carter, Smith and Aldridge in their new duds.

Houston, TX (AP) -- Derrick Rose was linked to Yao Ming in trade talks, but that never materialized; the Rockets stood pat at the deadline, but apparently Chicago was dead set on ridding themselves of Rose. They found a buyer in the Atlanta Hawks, who packaged Josh Smith and Maurice Evans, but that was not all for the Bulls, as they packaged John Salmons and Brad Miller to the Orlando Magic for swingman Vince Carter earlier in the week.

Elsewhere in the league, another blockbuster took place, as the 40-20 Portland Trail Blazers sent LaMarcus Aldridge to the Toronto Raptors for Andrea Bargnani, who are hoping a Bosh/Aldridge frontcourt can do some damage in the East. The Magic themselves then sent Anthony Johnson and Justin Williams to the San Antonio Spurs for Michael Finley, who have retooled their role player core.

The new Bulls are compelling; they kind of remind me of the current Bulls (think Carter and Smith for LaVine and Parker): Hinrich-Carter-Deng-Josh Smith-Noah (Tyrus Thomas 6th man). They are currently the seventh best team in the East, at 29-27. Rose's Hawks are sniffing their tail at 28-29.

The Rockets prepare for a date with the new-look Magic (who again added Salmons, Brad Miller and Finely, and lost Vince Carter, Anthony Johnson and Justin Williams) Wednesday night in Houston, where conference-best centers Yao Ming and Dwight Howard will duel for the second time this season.

ESPN

Around the NBA
:arrow: Hawks sign Big Shot Bob after losing Smith
:!: Collapsing Clippers lose Iverson for 1 month with broken toe
:!: As LeBron nears return, Shaq goes down for 2-3 months with bone spur for 38-20 Cavs
:arrow: Thunder lose 13 straight after losing Durant :shock:

Rockets.com
Simmed Games

Williams leads Jazz over rival Rockets, 74-63: Okur has 16 & 11 double-double, while Deron Williams leads the way with 26 & 9 dimes

Rockets drop second matchup to Bucks, 87-69: All-Star Redd leads the way with 21

Rockets back on track with 126-99 drubbing of Pacers: Battier, Artest and McGrady each pass 20+ in scoring column; Battier contributes 6 steals, starting in place of the injured Boris Diaw.

Stojakovic's game-winning three downs Rockets in New Orleans, 73-70: Chris Paul: 21 points, 8 dimes

Up Next: V.S. Magic (31-26)

Injury Report
    Diaw: Sprained wrist (Out - DTD)
    Von Wafer: Back spasm (Out - 1 week)
[Hyperize]

Re: Primed to Ignite [36-19] | Bulls, Magic among remodeled teams at deadline

Postby Andrew on Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:27 pm

Definitely some weird deals there, though it always makes things interesting.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Phil89 on Sat Oct 13, 2018 2:51 pm

I remember once in one of my Live 10 games the Lakers traded Kobe to the Spurs for Manu and Tony Parker :lol:

AI trading in basketball games can be strange sometimes.
My Stories
LIVE 10 - Thunder I, Thunder II
2K13 - Wizards / 2K15 - Sixers / 2K16 - Sixers / 2K17 - Suns / 2K19 - Thunder
Phil89

Postby Andrew on Sat Oct 13, 2018 2:56 pm

It both enhances and detracts from the experience, depending on the situation. Unusual and lopsided trades do happen in real life, and for a variety of reasons, but some of the random "trades for the sake of having trades" in franchise modes can mess things up. At the same time, they can make things interesting and underscore the fantasy aspect of the experience, so whether they're a good or a bad thing depends on personal taste.

One of the most unusual that I can recall happening to me was in an NBA Live 2001 Franchise game when the Magic traded Tracy McGrady to the Bucks for Ray Allen. That would be unexpected enough to begin with, but of course NBA Live 2001 is set during the 2001 season, which was T-Mac's first in Orlando. Talk about giving up on your big offseason acquisition far too soon!
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby [Hyperize] on Sat Oct 13, 2018 3:17 pm

Phil89 wrote:I remember once in one of my Live 10 games the Lakers traded Kobe to the Spurs for Manu and Tony Parker :lol:

AI trading in basketball games can be strange sometimes.

Yeah, this was one of the bullshit trades I saw happen during my test run of having 'Modify CPU Rosters' on; it's like the game is trying to mock you.
[Hyperize]

Postby [Hyperize] on Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:30 pm

Speaking on the weirdness of these old games, I think I've reached the point in this story where I'm going to take a break and try to make some progress on my 2K19 Cavs: the regular season is starting, the save & quit feature, more depth gameplay-wise, etc. Andrew had also stated something to the effect of not really being as in-tune with the current NBA, which I can totally relate to; NBA Live 10 was totally in my wheelhouse for knowing every single player. I know way less about the current league, so it's a good way to be more in-tune.
[Hyperize]

Postby Andrew on Sun Oct 14, 2018 3:31 am

I'm finding working on some current roster updates for NBA 2K11 and a couple of the NBA Live games (still very much a work in progress at the moment) is helping out with that, as is playing NBA Live 19 and NBA 2K19. I'd like to get back to the point where I'm familiar with names at a glance and have a decent idea about the role players who have come along in the past few years. I think I'll enjoy watching the real games more, too.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby [Hyperize] on Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:02 am

Nelson drops 40 on Rockets in drubbing
Rockets 100, Magic 115

Shane Battier was tasked with a tough matchup in one of the league's premier big men tonight; after acquiring Brad Miller, the Magic run Howard at the 4.

Yao Ming, Tracy McGrady and even Ron Artest and Shane Battier all had nice nights, but it was all Magic, all night. Jameer Nelson got everything he wanted, which included 40 points and 9 dimes, while Dwight Howard had a monster 16 & 16 double-double, and Rashard Lewis had 16 points of his own. The starting five was rounded out by newcomers Brad Miller and John Salmons each scoring double figures; the Brad Miller dynamic is interesting for the Magic: Dwight Howard slides to the 4, and Lewis to the 3, so they become bigger, but more important is Brad Miller's ability to stretch the floor.

The Rockets themselves were without starter Boris Diaw and bench scorer Von Wafer, which hurt them.

Can the Rockets right the wrong Friday night with another home matchup against an elite team in San Antonio impending? Boris Diaw could possibly return, but it's looking unlikely; reportedly Yao Ming and Tracy McGrady have called a players-only meeting after the Rockets have fallen to 36-20, in hopes of lighting a fire under the team's ass, and igniting their rocket.

Editor's note: I lied when I said I was gonna give this a break; there's just something about the gameplay that appeals to me more than a modern story, but I will be dropping to Pro after this. I have one of the best team's in the league; it shouldn't be this difficult.
[Hyperize]

Re: Primed to Ignite [36-20] | Not a good look for the Rockets at home

Postby Andrew on Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:02 am

Good old point guard domination!
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby [Hyperize] on Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:29 am

This game is so cheese lol. I just messaged Kenny and Phil asking if there was a difficulty or sliders they used, because right now I'm stuck in the bind of Pro being too easy and All-Star too hard; I actually went back to the Live 10 section and checked out the official sliders thread and may try out something in there.

The rebounding/shot blocking physics are wack, but aside from that, this game has serious potential of still being playable in 2018.

I already played the next game on 8 min. quarters/Pro as a test... get ready for that bizarre outcome.
[Hyperize]

Postby Phil89 on Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:25 pm

I can't really recall messing with the sliders too much. I played on superstar difficulty for the entirety of my second OKC game and that took a while to get used to.

Basically I just played the game so much that I learned the game mechanics and that allowed me to score pretty consistently.

I never got the hang of rebounding though, even if one of my players did have the occasional 20+ rebound game.
My Stories
LIVE 10 - Thunder I, Thunder II
2K13 - Wizards / 2K15 - Sixers / 2K16 - Sixers / 2K17 - Suns / 2K19 - Thunder
Phil89

Postby [Hyperize] on Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:23 am

Yup, I agree there are some go-to scoring mechanics like trying to get the blow-by animation (in 2010 lol) by using crossovers with a player with good handles, or a post spin; I might have to try a game on Superstar incase there is some bizarre phenomenon where Superstar is easier than All-Star.

As much as I want to continue this story, so much of it is random that I might just put all my eggs into my 2K19 story.
[Hyperize]

Postby [Hyperize] on Sun Nov 18, 2018 7:03 am

February 26 - March 7, 2010
(4-2)

After a tough 15-point home loss to Dwight Howard and the Magic, the Rockets then hosted the might Spurs, and won that matchup by 23. The following day they trekked to Utah, where they themselves lost by 24 to the Jazz, a venue where they've struggled all season. Houston then had two comfortable home wins against the Raptors and Kings, but then fell in Minnesota by 13 to the Wolves; youngster Kevin Love led the way with 18 points and 9 boards. The following night, the Rockets made a pit stop at the Palace, where Ron Artest did not enter the stands, but made his mark by leading the Rockets with 21 points for an 11-point win over the .500 Pistons.

Up next: The Rockets head into the nation's capital to tangle with the best team in the league (tied with the Celtics), the 46-15 Washington Wizards. A big three of Jamison, Butler and Arenas is proving to get the job done, as well as a solid offseason addition in Mike Miller; tipoff 8 PM EST.

RJ was the lone bright spot for the Spurs, as the Rockets shut them down, 79-56.

Felton with the extension.

"Is it Deron? DeRon?"

phpBB [video]

1996 anyone? (Yes, that is Brent "Bones" Barry)
[Hyperize]

Re: Primed to Ignite [40-22] | Houston Rockets :: NBA Live 10

Postby [Hyperize] on Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:55 am

Rockets can't survive league's best in nation's capital

Wizards | 29 | 27 | 28 | 25 | 109
    Rockets | 25 | 23 | 27 | 25 | 100

Houston, TX (AP) -- A monster 18 & 21 double-double from Yao Ming, a monster 33 throwback points from T-Mac, but it was all for not, as the league-best Wizards go a game ahead of the Celtics after escaping the Rockets, 109-100. There was a definitely a playoff intensity in the house, as this team was expected to be a 4/5 seed (not the best in the league), especially after the Celtics broke the league after acquiring Kevin Durant (remember that?).

For the Wizards, it was once again their big three, led by Agent Zero tonight, who turned back the clock in a duel with T-Mac, dropping 35 points, 6 assists, and 4 boards. Caron Butler dropped an impressive 8 dimes while scoring 21 points of his own and Jamison topped things off with 22.

The Rockets have time to regroup; their next game is a home duel in four nights against a poor Nets squad. With 19 games left in the season some are questioning whether this Rockets squad can go deep in the playoffs after being unable to finish off some of the league's elite.

ESPN

Remember me?

phpBB [video]

I guess Shane has been studying T-Mac's artistry.

Editor's note: All in all, not a bad game; I feel like karma let me take the lead late in the fourth after trailing by double-digits. This is the type of game you want to break in half because even if you know what the CPU is gonna do you can't stop it, and the rebounding/blocking physics are jank. Good in small doses.
[Hyperize]

Re: Primed to Ignite [40-23] | Tough L in DC

Postby Andrew on Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:08 am

Point guard domination is something you could always count on in NBA Live 10. I'm surprised Arenas didn't have 15 assists to go along with his 35 points; I guess he's no Chris Duhon, who always seemed to be able to bust out games like that! Interesting that the sim engine has them at top of the league. It just goes to show how older games didn't always account for "better on paper" when it came to a team's talent.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby kibaxx7 on Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:28 am

I've always been a huge fan of Agent Zero. Nice to see him around!
× Club Atlético Independiente. ×
× Watching:
Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba, Echo ×
× Watched:
Drunken Master (1978), Romeo + Juliet (1996), Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba - To the Hashira Training (2024) ×
kibaxx7
炭治郎

Postby [Hyperize] on Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:18 pm

Andrew wrote:Point guard domination is something you could always count on in NBA Live 10. I'm surprised Arenas didn't have 15 assists to go along with his 35 points; I guess he's no Chris Duhon, who always seemed to be able to bust out games like that! Interesting that the sim engine has them at top of the league. It just goes to show how older games didn't always account for "better on paper" when it came to a team's talent.

Lol! :lol: The played results actually don't seem that bad, but it really shows in the sim engine; I can easily get 20 & 10 with Yao in a played game, but sometimes he only scores two points in simmed games that he may not even average double-figures scoring on the season.

spiderxx7 wrote:I've always been a huge fan of Agent Zero. Nice to see him around!

It's really an honor to play against him; if I ever get the chance to sign/trade for him, you better bet I'll give it my best shot. He's also coming to 2K19's MyTeam this year, which is thrilling. The card'll probably cost 300K though. :lol:
[Hyperize]

Postby Andrew on Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:22 pm

Centres really suffered in NBA Live 10's sim engine. Case in point, what do Dwight Howard's numbers look like right now in your season? He was a 20 and 10 player at that point, but he was generally putting up 12 and 12 in simulated games in NBA Live 10.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

PreviousNext

Return to Stories from the Virtual Hardwood