Primed to Ignite :: NBA Live 10 | Rockets fall into 1-3 hole

Tell stories based on your franchise and career mode games here.

Primed to Ignite :: NBA Live 10 | Rockets fall into 1-3 hole

Postby [Hyperize] on Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:48 am

Roster

Starting Lineup

ImageImageImageImageImage

PG | Raymond Felton
SG | Ron Artest
SF | Shane Battier
PF | Boris Diaw
C | Yao Ming

Bench

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Tracy McGrady
Von Wafer
Carl Landry
Chuck Hayes
Brent Barry
Brian Cook
Carlos Arroyo

IR

Joey Dorsey

Settings

Game: NBA Live 10
Seasons: 82 games
Playoffs: 7-7-7-7
Injuries: On

So I finally received this frickin' game, and it has aged surprisingly well! :) I was utterly shocked tbh; kinda regret not getting it on PS3 though since the controller is way better and my X button is hella sticky.
Last edited by [Hyperize] on Mon Mar 22, 2021 11:47 am, edited 47 times in total.
[Hyperize]

Re: Primed to Ignite :: Houston Rockets | NBA Live 10

Postby Andrew on Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:53 am

Best of luck with it! Fun to see these throwback stories, hopefully it sparks some more activity here.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Artest signing

Postby [Hyperize] on Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:03 am

Artest, Ariza re-up with respective franchises
July 3, 2009

HOUSTON (AP) -- So yeah, I'm gonna break the fourth wall in some of these updates, but this is the only fantasy thing I'm doing before entering this story. This game is way more deep than I recall with the player customization and stuff, but yeah, Artest to the Rockets for $27.93M over 5 years and Ariza for $30M over 5 years. This makes Artest the second best player on the Rockets at an 84 (Yao 89), as T-Mac is on the decline with an 80 overall.

If some of you remember, this is the year Artest and Ariza essentially traded places as free agents; I always loved Artest on the Rockets more (made evident by my avatar [even though it was one season]); he really played well with Yao and knew how to feed him the ball in the post and stuff... respect. If the injuries didn't kill them in 08-09, they were a total powerhouse.

It will be very interesting to see what I can do with this team; I set the goal to contending (which this roster has every right to), but I can also experiment with a lot of stuff: a McGrady (point)-Artest-Battier backcourt; even though T-Mac is one of my favorite players, I love the defensive stalwarts of Battier and Artest starting together, so I could always package a declining T-Mac for draft picks... don't intend to, but just throwing some thoughts out there (I will not trade Breems favorite player!).

I also rightfully reversed that bullshit where T-Mac changed his number from 1 to 3 for some reason; we only associate #1 with greatness.

ESPN
[Hyperize]

Re: Primed to Ignite :: Houston Rockets | NBA Live 10

Postby [Hyperize] on Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:12 am

Andrew wrote:Best of luck with it! Fun to see these throwback stories, hopefully it sparks some more activity here.

Thanks a lot Andrew! :wink: I played a match for testers, and was utterly astonished at how playable it is; the last time I played it was maybe 2012. The controls are a pretty drastic departure from what 2K's currently offering, so it's totally gonna mess me up, not to mention balancing all that with whatever Live 19 has to offer... oh well.
[Hyperize]

Re: Primed to Ignite :: Houston Rockets | NBA Live 10 - Bringing back Artest

Postby Andrew on Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:46 am

Not a bad idea to inject a little fantasy into the situation. It's not like you're keeping both players, after all. Besides, I had Shawn Kemp make a comeback in my NBA Live 06 Dynasty.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby [Hyperize] on Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:09 pm

Andrew wrote:Not a bad idea to inject a little fantasy into the situation. It's not like you're keeping both players, after all. Besides, I had Shawn Kemp make a comeback in my NBA Live 06 Dynasty.

lol, how? Was he still in the game or something? I guess it would be the modern equivalent of every team signing Chris Bosh these days.
[Hyperize]

Postby Andrew on Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:26 pm

I added him to the Legends Pool in my roster update. I brought him back into the active rosters, with the appropriate downgrades, then signed him to a two year deal after I started my Dynasty game.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Breems on Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:36 pm

Yippee, it's here! I loved T-Mac's Rockets teams. Hope my favorite player can get a ring. Are you planning on playing all 82 games?

I'm not surprised that Live 10 still holds up. I was busy playing 2K11 at the time, but I remember enjoying Live 10 when I tried it. To me, most 2010+ basketball games are quite playable. I'd love to play it again, but I don't own a console. I'm thinking I might try Live 08 since it was the last PC release. I never tried 07 since it was slammed by the community and critics, but it seems like 08 was a little better.
Breems
Back in my day...

Postby [Hyperize] on Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:50 pm

Breems wrote:Yippee, it's here! I loved T-Mac's Rockets teams. Hope my favorite player can get a ring. Are you planning on playing all 82 games?

I'm not surprised that Live 10 still holds up. I was busy playing 2K11 at the time, but I remember enjoying Live 10 when I tried it. To me, most 2010+ basketball games are quite playable. I'd love to play it again, but I don't own a console. I'm thinking I might try Live 08 since it was the last PC release. I never tried 07 since it was slammed by the community and critics, but it seems like 08 was a little better.

The super bizarre thing is I remember being extremely frustrated with it at times when it came out, but it almost feels better now that it did then... watch me eat those words as a I start playing it. :lol: 82 games is a tall order; I imagine I'm gonna be simming some against bottom-feeders, etc.

I think 08 was my first game where I was legitimately into it.
[Hyperize]

Postby Andrew on Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:49 pm

Revisiting the better games from yesteryear is always an interesting experience. There's a mix of nostalgia, annoyance with old issues as you remember them, but often also a feeling that they're better than you remember.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby [Q] on Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:57 pm

Man I love NBA Live 10. Many good memories from that game
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Phil89 on Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:14 pm

Good luck with this. Hopefully McGrady and Yao can remain injury-free for you.

[Q] wrote:Man I love NBA Live 10. Many good memories from that game

Seconded. It's the game that brought me back into basketball video games. I must've spent hundreds of hours playing it (Y)
My Stories
LIVE 10 - Thunder I, Thunder II
2K13 - Wizards / 2K15 - Sixers / 2K16 - Sixers / 2K17 - Suns / 2K19 - Thunder
Phil89

Postby [Hyperize] on Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:15 am

Thanks guys; I wonder if there's an injury-tendency that's gonna make Yao and T-Mac walking tombstones. :lol:

What do you guys like for difficulty/quarters? And the game is really unpredictable when it decides to autosave, so I have to be super careful with multiple saves, etc.
[Hyperize]

Postby Andrew on Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:50 am

Multiple saves and backups are definitely recommended when it comes to franchise modes, especially when autosave is in the picture.

I've always preferred 12 minute quarters whenever possible. It's been a while since I played NBA Live 10, so I can't remember which difficulty level gave the best combination of challenging and enjoyable gameplay.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby [Hyperize] on Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:09 pm

Andrew wrote:Multiple saves and backups are definitely recommended when it comes to franchise modes, especially when autosave is in the picture.

I've always preferred 12 minute quarters whenever possible. It's been a while since I played NBA Live 10, so I can't remember which difficulty level gave the best combination of challenging and enjoyable gameplay.

Yeah, I was actually so paranoid about my 360 red-ringing that I made sure to save to an external hard drive as well.

My test runs proved the first game will be 12 min. quarters on Pro; probably the most I'll stray from that is shaving a minute off the quarters if it becomes too tedious, but it seems pretty solid. (Y)
[Hyperize]

Postby Breems on Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:39 pm

You guys and your reasonable quarter lengths.

With a baby in the house, I'm lucky to finish games with 8 minute quarters in one sitting.
Breems
Back in my day...

Postby Andrew on Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:59 pm

No doubt, it is harder to do that the older you get, and the more responsibilities you have. NBA Live really needs a stats normalisation option, to adjust stats from gameplay on shorter quarters for 12 minutes. Obviously there's the option to do that for simulated games, but these days NBA 2K's MyLEAGUE has the option for games you play as well, so that they fit in with simulated stats on full quarters. I'd love to see it in NBA Live moving forward.

As for the old games, well, we just make do. :)
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby [Hyperize] on Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:27 am

Hahaha... I will admit, I wish this game had the save & quit feature the new 2K's have.

Simulation intervention is always an option to jump in at say half-time of a close game if you aren't feeling up for the full 48.
[Hyperize]

Postby [Q] on Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:10 am

cavs4872 wrote:Thanks guys; I wonder if there's an injury-tendency that's gonna make Yao and T-Mac walking tombstones. :lol:

What do you guys like for difficulty/quarters? And the game is really unpredictable when it decides to autosave, so I have to be super careful with multiple saves, etc.

Iirc there were no in game injuries but I forget if there were injuries during simulation
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby [Hyperize] on Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:22 am

[Q] wrote:
cavs4872 wrote:Thanks guys; I wonder if there's an injury-tendency that's gonna make Yao and T-Mac walking tombstones. :lol:

Iirc there were no in game injuries but I forget if there were injuries during simulation

Okay; that's correct. There are injuries during simulation; I kinda wish they took place during the games, but at least it's something.
[Hyperize]

Postby [Hyperize] on Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:24 am

Rockets bring back Von Wafer at 1 yr/$5.85M
October 28, 2009

HOUSTON (AP) -- Wafer had a pretty decent bench role with the Rockets last season, who are in Portland tonight to take on the Trail Blazers. Houston was looking to add some bench scoring alongside Kyle Lowry, and pounced on Wafer with their MLE before another team could nab him. Houston briefly considered negotiating with ten-time All-Star Allen Iverson, but decided the baggage wouldn't be worth it.

ESPN
[Hyperize]

Re: Primed to Ignite :: Houston Rockets | NBA Live 10 - Bringing back Von Wafer

Postby Andrew on Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:14 pm

AI would've been an interesting acquisition, though there might not have been enough shots to go around.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby [Hyperize] on Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:50 am

Yao Ming posts triple-double in season opener
Houston 125 @ Portland 104
October 28, 2009

Yao swats Oden and tells him to stop trying Dirk-eque fadeaways.

Houston (AP) -- This game was not the blowout the final would lead you to believe; Houston trailed going into half-time (and led by only two going into the fourth), but a 38-19 fourth quarter spanking helped them take the game, not to mention a beastly triple-double by Yao Ming: 16 points, 10 assists, 22 boards, and nearly a quad-double with 7 blocks. :shock: Artest led the scoring column for the Rockets, with a nice 25-7-4-4 game himself. The Rockets had six players in double-figures.

Houston will be in Golden State tomorrow night to take on a Warriors squad who should be less of a threat.

Artest takes it to the cup after signing a fresh contract with the Rockets in the offseason.

Play of the Game

phpBB [video]

Artest swats the shit out of Roy.

Box Scores
[Houston]
[Portland]

ESPN

We goin' up to All-Star next game.
[Hyperize]

Postby [Hyperize] on Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:55 am

Andrew wrote:AI would've been an interesting acquisition, though there might not have been enough shots to go around.

True... the unwritten rule of All-Star lineups ruining stories echoed in my head as well.
[Hyperize]

Re: Primed to Ignite :: Houston Rockets [1-0] | NBA Live 10 - W @ Portland

Postby Andrew on Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:07 am

Definitely.

Meanwhile, that's an insane stat line for Yao to open the season.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Next

Return to Stories from the Virtual Hardwood