Scratching and Clawing: Saving the Grizzlies

Tell stories based on your franchise and career mode games here.

Scratching and Clawing: Saving the Grizzlies

Postby RMJH4 on Wed May 30, 2018 10:54 pm

Scratching and Clawing: Saving the Grizzlies.

Back in 1995, the NBA was looking to expand the league outside of America, and into Canada. The two cities they decided on were Toronto and Vancouver, two of the most populated cities in Canada. The former got the Raptors, with the latter receiving the Grizzlies.

While both franchises started off really bad, losing a lot of games, the Raptors were always a step ahead of the Grizzlies when it came to the basketball influence in their area.

Vince Carter catapulted the Raptors into fame and fortune, as he helped the team lead the NBA in attendance for three straight seasons in the early 2000s. Unfortunately, that has not been the case with the Grizzlies.

John McCaw Jr. was the owner of the team from 1995-1999, as well as the Vancouver Canucks. However, the operating costs were way too high, and the Canadian dollar was pretty weak so it just wasn’t profitable for him to own a team in that area, so he was forced to sell both the Grizzlies and Canucks.

The fact that McCaw was based on Seattle, did not help his situation. A lot of local businesses in Vancouver did not want to support the Grizzlies because it wasn’t owned by someone local. McCaw ended up selling the team to Chicago businessman Michael Heisley for $160 million in January of 2000.

The Grizzlies under Heisley’s ownership have not done any better so far. In 2000 and 2001, the Grizzlies saw their attendance drop significantly and continued to lose games. According to Dick Versace, the president of basketball operations for the Grizzlies, the team reportedly lost about $80 million in two years. That figure seemed ridiculous, but if you look at the bigger picture, it could be possible.

In the franchise’s first four seasons, the team actually had a decent attendance record. Not as good as Toronto’s obviously, but they were around the middle of the pack. But in the 1999-2000 and 2000-2001 seasons, the last two seasons, they have been the third worst in attendance for both years, averaging about 13,000 fans every game.

Of course the low attendance rates translated to lower revenue, but I mean, that’s not a huge deal. There’s been a lot of teams over the years that saw their attendance plummet if their team is losing a lot. But the thing is, with the Vancouver Grizzlies, the revenue loss has extended beyond just the lower fan attendance.

The team has struggled to get corporate sponsors and when they did, they weren’t worth that much anyway because the team has been losing a lot and had no All-Stars either. The NBA didn’t really promote basketball in Vancouver as much as they should have, as well.

Granted, the team itself has some solid players, like Big Country Bryant Reeves and Mike Bibby, and I guess Shareef Abdur-Rahim is their best player, but he was obviously not a household name. They have not had a single member of their team make an All-Star game in the six seasons in Vancouver.

Additionally, very few players have actually wanted to move to Vancouver in the first place. The most prominent example was Steve Francis. The Grizzlies drafted him with the 2nd overall pick in the 1999 NBA draft, but he did not want to play in Vancouver. Francis publicly stated that he did not like the city and did not want to move to Canada.

So now we are at a Crossroads in Vancouver. Heisley has applied to the NBA Board of Governors to move the franchise to Memphis for the 2001-02 Season. Many speculated that this was his goal from the moment he bought the Grizzlies from McCaw. We pick up the story here in April of 2001, right before the Board of Governors meeting to decide the fate of the Grizzlies..

Storyline:

NBA HQ April 2001
NBA Board of Governors Reject Grizzlies Relocation
Grizzlies staying put, Heisley to sell team.
Grizzlies sale to Aquilini and Johnson approved by NBA Owners
Grizzlies Front Office Handed Walking Papers
Grizzlies make Front Office moves.
Grizzlies Send Bibby to Kings for Williams
Wizards grab #1 Pick in NBA Draft
Kurt Rambis Hired as Grizzlies Assistant Coach
NBA Draft 2001
Grizzlies Trade Abdur Rahim to Hawks for #3 Pick
Last edited by RMJH4 on Wed Apr 14, 2021 5:45 am, edited 18 times in total.
RMJH4
Retro NBA Nut

Michael Heisley purchases Grizzlies.

Postby RMJH4 on Wed May 30, 2018 11:15 pm

Chicago business man buys Grizzlies, says they'll stay In Vancouver.

Chicago billionaire who made his fortune buying and rebuilding struggling companies may face his biggest challenge with his latest purchase -- the struggling Vancouver Grizzlies.

Michael Heisley stepped into the void left by Bill Laurie's recent exit, purchasing the Grizzlies on Monday. BCTV, citing an unidentified source, said the sale was for $160 million.

The deal still needs NBA approval, although Heisley has two things in his favor. He wants to keep the franchise in Vancouver, something Laurie wasn't prepared to do. And Heisley has already held discussions with NBA Commissioner David Stern, who suggested the Grizzlies would be a good fit for him.

At a news conference at GM Place, Heisley assured Vancouver and Grizzlies fans that he plans to make the team a winner. "I intend to do everything in my power to make this franchise a success in Vancouver. Having an owner that is committed to this market is an important part," Heisley said.

He becomes the Grizzlies' fourth prospective owner in the franchise's five-year history. Arthur Griffiths, the team's founder, eventually had to sell his interests to Seattle's John McCaw. McCaw tried to sell the Grizzlies for $200 million in September to Laurie. Laurie had to drop his bid because he was blocked by the NBA from moving the franchise to St. Louis, where he also owns the NHL St. Louis Blues and the Kiel Center arena.

Heisley, 62, is chief executive officer of The Heico Companies, whose holdings last year were estimated to be worth $1.5 billion. Heico, founded in 1979, is made up of about 30 companies covering a diverse set of industries, from making pre-engineered metal buildings to telecommunications and food production.
Last edited by RMJH4 on Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:25 am, edited 14 times in total.
RMJH4
Retro NBA Nut

Jordan joins Grizzlies front office.

Postby RMJH4 on Wed May 30, 2018 11:15 pm

Jordan joins Grizzlies front office.

Showing the command that allowed him to dominate the National Basketball Association for 13 years, Michael Jordan set the tone for his new job as president of basketball operations and part owner of the Vancouver Grizzlies yesterday, saying he would answer only to majority owner Michael Heisley, that his influence would be felt throughout the organization and that "until we get ourselves on track everybody is disposable."

After a five-month courtship, Jordan finalized a deal early yesterday morning that would give him five years to help transform the Grizzlies, who have not made the playoffs in their inaugural 4 years in the league, into a winner. Jordan said that Stu Jackson will remain with the team as general manager and that Susan O'Malley will continue as CEO and president of business operations.

"I'm going to have my imprints and footprints all over this organization," said Jordan, who will initally commute in his private jet between Vancouver and his home in Chicago. "I look forward to turning this thing around. Right now we're an underachieving team. I'll be moving to Vancouver full time soon, but for the moment I will commute. That will not effect my commitment to the job."

The deal gives Jordan a share of equity that could increase to 20 percent if new majority owner Michael Heisley ever decides to sell.

Jordan is the third black minority owner in the NBA – former superstar Magic Johnson owns a small piece of the Los Angeles Lakers; Edward and Bettiann Gardner are part owners of Jordan's former team, the Chicago Bulls. But Jordan's share, if it grows to the expected 20 percent, would give him a more substantial piece of an NBA team than any other black owner, a source said yesterday.

"This is new to me," said Jordan, whose duties will include drafting, trading and signing players and hiring and firing coaches. "Being in charge is something that I never had an opportunity to do. Maybe that's not the ingredient that may turn this team around. Then again, it may be. That's the beauty of trying.

"I won't be wearing the Grizzlies uniform. I have an attitude about the way I play. I have an attitude about the way I win, and my job and responsibility with this organization is to see if I can pass it on to the players in that uniform."

Heisley, who bought the team last week, has the majority ownership.

"He makes everybody better, I saw that first hand in the United Center all of those years." Heisley said of Jordan, who led the Bulls to six NBA championships. "He's a fierce competitor. He will not accept losing. He's going to get the best out of everybody. And that's why I've turned the basketball operations over to him."

Jordan's marriage to the Grizzlies comes months after his bid to purchase the Charlotte Hornets fell through. Jordan also has been linked to buying the Milwaukee Bucks and Denver Nuggets. NBA Commissioner David Stern prompted his interest in owning a team; however Jordan's decision to get into the hands-on, day-to-day operations was a relatively new-found aspiration, Jordan said.

"A lot of it had to do with the relationships I had with the people on this podium," Jordan said. "Michael being generous enough to allow me to make decisions based on basketball. It's a great city. I've spent a lot of time here recently. It's the closest thing to North Carolina besides Charlotte."

The first meeting was arranged in November of 1999 in New York with Falk, Jordan, Heisley and Falk's partner, Curtis Polk. In April of 2000, Falk brought Jordan and Heisley together. Jordan subsequently had dinner at Heisley's house, where further progress was made about Jordan joining the team.

Jordan and Heisley eventually agreed to join the team as president of basketball operations, pursuant to Heisley's ownership being approved by the league office.

"[Falk] was instrumental in making this happen," Heisley said. "Without David, it would not have happened. David was the guy that started all this. David was the guy who contacted Michael in the beginning."

The newfound relationship allowed Heisley to bring Jordan in just one step below him in the Grizzlies chain of command. Jordan said Stu Jackson would report to him but that he hopes they will carry on a joint relationship.

"There's been a lot of stories that have said Stu is going to get kicked to the curb, not have any input with the team, and that's not the case," Jordan said. "I've always respected coaches like Stu that have been around the before the league for years. . . . If it wasn't for them, the league wouldn't have been my platform to excel."

Jordan went on to say that if he and Jackson disagreed on some issues, he had the authority to overrule Jackson.

"I'm okay with everything," Jackson said.

The status of Interim Coach Lionel Hollins and some of Vancouver's players seems more uncertain.

"If everyone is looking over their shoulders making sure their necks don't get chopped off that's good – you go out there and do your job," Jordan said. "If any players are worried about being traded, go out there do your job and you won't have to worry about it. If Lionel is worried about what's going to happen he's going to go out and do his job. I'm not saying I'm going to fire or hire Lionel Hollins. I'm going to evaluate everybody."

Jordan's considerable power as a drawing card was in evidence yesterday. His late-afternoon news conference drew the largest media gathering at General Motors Place since the Grizzlies were launched a little more than four years ago.

O'Malley, president of Vancouver Sports and Entertainment, said the Wizards sold about 200 season-ticket packages before yesterday's news conference even began.

"The rumor has been building all week and we have been selling seats," she said. "We haven't been selling a lot for tonight. But, what we have been selling are season tickets. A couple of hundred today. Who knows tomorrow when they believe it? We expect a big hit."

District Mayor Anthony Williams said Jordan's arrival will have a positive effect on the entire city.

"This clearly is a big day in our city," Williams said. "We have someone here who not only is a great athlete, but he can show our children what it means to be an executive as a role model. Show what it means to make a commitment like it already has. It really is going to electrify our city and probably Canada too."
Last edited by RMJH4 on Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:31 am, edited 7 times in total.
RMJH4
Retro NBA Nut

Grizzlies staying put, Heisley to sell team.

Postby RMJH4 on Thu May 31, 2018 6:52 am

NBA Owners block relocation of Grizzlies, Heisley to sell team to Francesco Aquilini and Magic Johnson for $200 Million.

May 15th - Vancouver, BC -- NBA officials announced today the Grizzlies would be remaining in Vancouver. The NBA Board of Governors moved to reject the relocation in April. The NBA owners today voted against the relocation. With the proposal to reject the relocation expected, Michael Heisley will now move forward with the sale of the team.

Vancouver businessman Francesco Aquilini and his business partner Magic Johnson are at the front of the queue to buy the Grizzlies. AIG and Johnson have been purchasing shares in Orca Bay Sports and Entertainment group in recent months. AIG are also trying to regain the Canucks franchise into the Orca Bay Group.

In light of the NBA Owners vote, The Vancouver Grizzlies announced that controlling owner Michael Heisley has sent a formal notice to the NBA that he will be selling his controlling interest in the basketball team.

17 Months after Heisley bought the controlling interest in the team, he is in negotiation to sell the team for $200 million. A profit of $40 million, which allows Heisley to break even on his initial investment. It's amazing that Heisley didn't just wait it out another season and a half to relocate the team. The Board of Governors found documentation stating that a franchise could not be relocated until ownership had held the team for 3 years minimum. Thus putting Heisley in a predicament. Heisley lost $40 million dollars in the last year, and previous owner John McCaw Jr lost the same in the previous season.

There are a lot of questions to be asked and answered now if Aquilini and Johnson's proposed sale goes through. The Grizzlies finished in the bottom 4 in the standings with a 23-59 record. They are slated to probably pick between #2 and #6 in the NBA Draft in June. Bryant Reeves has been battling injuries, and with Sidney Lowe being fired, the franchise is in real turmoil. Its up to Aquilini and Johnson to steady the ship here, and quickly.
Last edited by RMJH4 on Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:19 pm, edited 7 times in total.
RMJH4
Retro NBA Nut

Grizzlies sale to Aquilini and Johnson approved by NBA Owners

Postby RMJH4 on Thu May 31, 2018 7:09 am

Grizzlies sold to Aquilini Investment Group and Magic Johnson.

May 22nd 2001

Vancouver, British Columbia - A group including former NBA player Magic Johnson has agreed to purchase Vancouver Grizzlies owner Michael Heisley's majority share in the team.

Heisley announced Monday that he will sell his 70 percent interest in Hoops, LP, the parent company of the Grizzlies and operator of the General Motors Place, to AIG Investment Group and Johnson.

A billionaire based in Chicago, Heisley bought the Vancouver Grizzlies for $160 million in 2000 and seventeen months later is selling the team after a failed relocation to Memphis Tennessee.

Magic Johnson famously played point guard for the Lakers for 13 seasons. After winning championships in high school and college, Johnson was selected first overall in the 1979 NBA draft by the Lakers. He won a championship and an NBA Finals Most Valuable Player Award in his rookie season, and won four more championships with the Lakers during the 1980s. Johnson retired abruptly in 1991 after announcing that he had contracted HIV, but returned to play in the 1992 All-Star Game, winning the All-Star MVP Award. After protests from his fellow players, he retired again for four years, but returned in 1996, at age 36, to play 32 games for the Lakers before retiring for the third and final time.

Johnson was a member of the 1992 United States men's Olympic basketball team "The Dream Team", which won the Olympic gold medal in 1992. After leaving the NBA in 1992, Johnson formed the Magic Johnson All-Stars, a barnstorming team that travelled around the world playing exhibition games. Johnson was honored as one of the 50 Greatest Players in NBA History in 1996. Getting Johnson on board with this bid was vital, as the franchise needs some positive PR to get back on track.

The remaining 30 percent of the Grizzlies belongs to a local ownership group that includes a range of local businessmen. The group has 60 days to decide whether to match the terms of the agreement between Heisley, AIG and Johnson.

"You have to engage the community and the city of Vancouver to believe in what you're trying to achieve," Aquilini said. "What I'm trying to achieve is to have a fantastic team that wants to win championships. The second thing you have to do is sit down with local leaders and municipalities and make this our team."

Listed among Forbes magazine's 400 richest Americans, Heisley was looking to relocate the team because it was losing money. When the NBA rejected the relocation, he felt he had no choice but to sell. Aquilini and Johnson were waiting in the wings to swoop in and buy the team.

Magic Johnson is now also rumored to take the role as President of Basketball Operations in Vancouver.

"Owning an NBA team has been one of my goals in my professional life," Johnson said. "I will be forever grateful to the people of AIG and Francesco for allowing me to come on board with this project. I am especially excited to connect with our great Grizzlies fans. I am sure they will support us from the very beginning. I am proud that we managed to keep this team in Vancouver and we are both confident that our future ownership will start building some success. We want to bring a new exciting and winning brand of basketball to the people of Vancouver."
Last edited by RMJH4 on Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:18 pm, edited 6 times in total.
RMJH4
Retro NBA Nut

Grizzlies Front Office Handed Walking Papers

Postby RMJH4 on Thu May 31, 2018 8:24 am

Grizzlies Front Office and Coaches handed walking papers.

June 1st, 2001

In a move that surprised many within the NBA, Francesco Aquilini has informed the Grizzlies front office and entire coaching staff that their contracts have been bought out. General Manager Billy Knight and Head Coach Sidney Lowe, who are both highly regarded in the NBA, would also be among those released.

“It’s a bold if not a dangerous move,” said Bill Simmons of ESPN “When you buy a team you generally want to surround yourself with people who know what they’re doing, which usually means holdovers from the last ownership group. This seems to fly in the face of that, but when you're one of the worst teams in the league year after year, heads are gonna roll.”

The news has been met with mixed reactions from around the league, notably from current front office executives. “I think doing it now, so close to the NBA Draft, is short-sighted,” said one Western Conference GM. “It’s disrespectful to have this done so soon in his tenure as owner. It’s going to make hiring replacements harder I think; no one wants to work for someone who won’t even give you a chance.”

One Eastern Conference executive disagreed. “Oh, no doubt some will hate this but this is a business that encourages taking risk, jumping on opportunities … there are plenty of young talents out there for the Grizzlies to reap. They drastically need to reshape how that franchise is being run, the bleeding needs to stop. Look at the Raptors, what a contrast. There is no reason why the Grizzlies can't be profitable.”

The Grizzlies have let it be known to the entire team that there will be some roster reshaping, be prepared to be moved. “It’s a relief to a lot of guys that we are staying in Vancouver, well at least for the moment” said Shareef Abdur-Rahim "It'll be a long offseason.”
Last edited by RMJH4 on Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:16 pm, edited 9 times in total.
RMJH4
Retro NBA Nut

Grizzlies make Front Office moves.

Postby RMJH4 on Thu May 31, 2018 8:35 am

Grizzlies hire Byron Scott as Head Coach, Appoint Magic as President of Basketball Operations.

The dust has barely settled with the ownership changeover in Vancouver, but that hasn't stopped the new ownership group putting their stamp on the franchise. As expected part owner Magic Johnson has been appointed President of Basketball Operations. It is unknown if Johnson will appoint a General Manager to work under him to navigate the muddy salary cap waters. However that did not hold Johnson back in making his first hire. Byron Scott, former teammate of Johnson with the Lakers has been given a bounce-back opportunity to re-start his coaching career with the Grizzlies.

Byron Scott began his NBA coaching career in 1998, when he began the first of two seasons as an assistant with the Sacramento Kings. He specialized in teaching perimeter shooting during his tenure with the Kings and helped to lead the team to an excellent three-point shooting percentage during a pair of playoff seasons. Scott took-over the New Jersey Nets as Head Coach this past season, but after a poor showing and a 26-56 record, Scott was fired.

"Obviously I have known Byron for years as a teammate. This is not just me hiring a friend for a get together. I believe Byron can be an excellent coach, and I wanted to hire him before any other franchise could snap him up. He never got a fair shot with the Nets, so I was quick to right that. He has always been a High IQ player, and knows what it takes to be successful, how to make sacrifices and how to lead others. It is going to be a pleasure to work with Byron, and I know he will get the most out of our roster."
Last edited by RMJH4 on Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:15 pm, edited 4 times in total.
RMJH4
Retro NBA Nut

Grizzlies Send Bibby to Kings for Williams

Postby RMJH4 on Thu May 31, 2018 8:51 am

Grizzlies trade Mike Bibby to Kings for Jason Williams, Nick Anderson.

Vancouver, BC. June 24 2001.

The Sacramento Kings concluded three years with Jason Williams, trading the flashy point guard to the Vancouver Grizzlies for Mike Bibby on Wednesday in a four-man deal. Nick Anderson was traded along with Williams to the Grizzlies, who have just recently been bought by AIG and Magic Johnson. Brent Price, who played just six games for Vancouver last season, was sent to Sacramento.

Williams and Anderson "contributed to a lot of our success here the last couple of years, but we think we made a good move for our team in the future," said Geoff Petrie, the Kings' vice president of basketball operations. Unhappy as his playing time and importance to the Kings decreased last season, Williams questioned his role with the team and suggested he wanted to be traded. Petrie duly obliged.

"The deal evolved during the course of the week, as things like this will during the lead up to the draft," Petrie said. "They are very excited about getting Jason, and we're real happy to be getting Mike. Petrie outmaneuvered several teams in the hunt for Bibby, who averaged 15.9 points and 8.4 assists in playing all 82 games last season. "When you get a chance to get a player you really like, you get him," Kings coach Rick Adelman said. In Williams, the Grizzlies acquired one of the NBA's most visible players who will be sure to sell many tickets for new ownership.

With behind-the-back passes and long 3-pointers, Williams became a fixture on national television highlight shows. As a rookie in the strike-shortened 1999 season, Williams brought immediate excitement with his razzle-dazzle style. He averaged 12.8 points and six assists as a rookie, and he teamed with Chris Webber to lead the Kings to the first of three straight playoff appearances. But Williams' effectiveness and playing time gradually decreased the next two seasons while Sacramento became one of the NBA's elite teams, finishing last season with the league's fourth-best record. On the Williams acquisition, President of Basketball Operations Magic Johnson added "We're bringing showtime to Vancouver Baby!"
Last edited by RMJH4 on Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:14 pm, edited 3 times in total.
RMJH4
Retro NBA Nut

Wizards grab #1 Pick in NBA Draft

Postby RMJH4 on Thu May 31, 2018 8:14 pm

Last edited by RMJH4 on Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:12 pm, edited 7 times in total.
RMJH4
Retro NBA Nut

Kurt Rambis Hired as Grizzlies Assistant Coach

Postby RMJH4 on Thu May 31, 2018 8:33 pm

Kurt Rambis Hired as Assistant Coach by Grizzlies.

The Vancouver Grizzlies are fast becoming the LA Lakers alumni. In particular the Showtime Era Lakers. After Magic Johnson was appointed the President of Basketball Operations, he swiftly moved to hire two former teammates. Byron Scott last week was appointed Head Coach, merely days after the New Jersey Nets decided not to renew Scott's contract for next season. Scott had requested experienced assistant coach Rambis to head his coaching staff. That now makes it a trio of former Lakers on the Grizzlies payroll.

As a player, he won four NBA championships while playing power forward for the Lakers. Rambis was a key member of the Showtime era Lakers and was extremely popular for his hard-nosed blue collar play. With his trademark black horned rim glasses, Rambis complemented the flashy Hollywood style of the Showtime era Lakers.

Rambis played college basketball for the Santa Clara Broncos. As a senior in 1980, he was named the player of the year in the West Coast Conference (WCC). Rambis was selected by the New York Knicks in the third round of the 1980 NBA draft, but began his career in Greece with AEK Athens before joining the Lakers. He also played for the Charlotte Hornets, Phoenix Suns, and Sacramento Kings. Rambis became a coach in 1994, and served as Head Coach for the Lakers in the 1998-99 season after 5 years of being the Assistant Coach.

It really does seem like Magic Johnson want's to bring showtime to Vancouver.
Last edited by RMJH4 on Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
RMJH4
Retro NBA Nut

Re: Scratching and Clawing: Saving the Grizzlies

Postby Solaris Phase Two on Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:26 pm

Loving this!
Solaris Phase Two

Re: Scratching and Clawing: Saving the Grizzlies 2001-02 Season

Postby RMJH4 on Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:42 pm

Hi Guys,

Rather than starting a new thread, I've rewritten and revamped this entire story. Have updated all of my posts. Have a read through, another retro dynasty here for people to enjoy hopefully!!

Solaris Phase Two, hopefully you don't mind the reboot!
RMJH4
Retro NBA Nut

Postby kibaxx7 on Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:03 pm

Always a follower of retro stories. (Y)
× Club Atlético Independiente. ×
× Watching:
Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba, Echo ×
× Watched:
Drunken Master (1978), Romeo + Juliet (1996), Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba - To the Hashira Training (2024) ×
kibaxx7
炭治郎

Postby RMJH4 on Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:22 am

spiderxx7 wrote:Always a follower of retro stories. (Y)

Thanks man! Had to go back to 2K18 as 2k19 I can't use the expansion or relocation uniforms properly still, such a bummer. It's amazing how the new games come out and we always use the older ones again, despite moaning about them when they were current!
RMJH4
Retro NBA Nut

NBA Draft 2001

Postby RMJH4 on Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:54 pm

Wizards Draft High Schooler Kwame Brown #1.

Round 1

1. Washington
Kwame Brown, F, Glynn Academy

2. L.A. Clippers
Tyson Chandler, F, Dominguez HS
(Rights traded to Chicago)

3. Atlanta
Pau Gasol, F, Barcelona
(Rights traded to Vancouver)

4. Chicago
Eddy Curry, F/C, Thornwood (Ill.) H.S.

5. Golden State
Jason Richardson, G/F, Michigan State

6. Grizzlies
Shane Battier, F, Duke

7. New Jersey
Eddie Griffin, F, Seton Hall
(Rights traded to Houston)

8. Cleveland
DeSagana Diop, C, Oak Hill Academy (Va.)

9. Detroit
Rodney White, F, Charlotte

10. Boston
Joe Johnson, G/F, Arkansas

11. Boston (from Denver)
Kedrick Brown, F, Okaloosa-Walton CC (Fla.)

12. Seattle
Vladimir Radmanovic, F/C, FMP Zeleznik (Yugoslavia)

13. Houston
Richard Jefferson, F, Arizona
(Rights traded to New Jersey)

14. Golden State (from Indiana)
Troy Murphy, F, Notre Dame

15. Orlando
Steven Hunter, C, DePaul

16. Charlotte
Kirk Haston, F, Indiana

17. Toronto
Michael Bradley, F, Villanova

18. Houston (from N.Y. via Phoenix and Orlando)
Jason Collins, C, Stanford

19. Portland
Zach Randolph, F, Michigan State

20. Cleveland (from Miami)
Brendan Haywood, C, North Carolina
(Rights traded to Orlando)

21. Boston (from Phoenix)
Joseph Forte, G, North Carolina

22. Orlando (from Milwaukee via Houston)
Jeryl Sasser, G, Southern Methodist

23. Houston (from Dallas via Orlando)
Brandon Armstrong, G, Pepperdine

24. Utah
Raul Lopez, G, Real Madrid (Spain)

25. Sacramento
Gerald Wallace, F, Alabama

26. Philadelphia
Samuel Dalembert, C, Seton Hall

27. Grizzlies (from L.A. Lakers via N.Y.)
Gilbert Arenas, G, Arizona

28. San Antonio
Tony Parker, G, Paris Basket Racing (Paris)

Round 2

30. Chicago
Trenton Hassell , G, Austin Peay

31. Golden State
Jamaal Tinsley, G, Iowa State

32. Orlando (from Washington)
Omar Cook, G, St. John's
(Rights traded to Denver)

33. Grizzlies
Willie Solomon, G, Clemson
(Traded to Atlanta)

34. Atlanta
Terence Morris, F, Maryland
(Rights traded to Houston)

35. New Jersey
Brian Scalabrine, F, Southern California

36. Cleveland
Jeff Trepagnier, G, Southern California

37. Philadelphia (from L.A. Clippers)
Damone Brown, F, Syracuse

38. Detroit
Mehmet Okur, F/C, Turkey

39. New York (from Boston via Seattle)
Michael Wright, F, Arizona

40. Seattle (from Denver via Boston)
Earl Watson, F, UCLA

41. Indiana
Jamison Brewer, G, Auburn

42. Seattle (from Orlando)
Bobby Simmons, G/F, DePaul
(Rights traded to Washington)

43. New York (from Seattle)
Eric Chenowith, C, Kansas

44. Dallas (from Houston)
Kyle Hill, G, Eastern Illinois

45. Chicago (from Charlotte)
Sean Lampley, F, California

46. Minnesota
Loren Woods, C, Arizona

47. Denver (from Toronto)
Ousmane Cisse, C, St. Jude High School (Montgomery, Ala.)

48. Grizzlies (from New York)
Antonis Fotis, F, (Greece)

49. Miami
Ken Johnson, C, Ohio State

50. Portland
Ruben Boumtje C, Georgetown

51. Phoenix
Alton Ford, F, Houston

52. Milwaukee
Andre Hutson, F, Michigan State

53. Utah
Jarron Collins, F Stanford

54. Dallas
Kenny Satterfield, G, Cincinnati

55. Sacramento
Maurice Jeffers, G, St. Louis

56. San Antonio (from L.A. Lakers)
Robertas Javtokas, F, (Lithuania)

57. Philadelphia
Alvin Jones, C, Georgia Tech

58. San Antonio
Bryan Bracey, F, Oregon

2001 Draft News and Trades

Bulls trade Elton Brand to Clippers for Brian Skinner and the rights to Tyson Chandler

Nets trade the rights to Eddie Griffin to the Rockets for the rights to Richard Jefferson, Jason Collins and Brandon Armstrong

Hawks agree in principle to trade Lorenzen Wright, Brevin Knight and No. 3 pick to Grizzlies for Shareef Abdur-Rahim.

Hawks trade rights to Terence Morris to Rockets for future first-round pick

Magic trade Michael Doleac to Cavaliers for rights to Brendan Haywood

Magic trade rights to Omar Cook to satisfy the conditions of a previous trade.

Washington acquires the draft rights to Bobby Simmons from Seattle for the 1997 draft rights to Predrag Drobnjak.

Clippers deal second-round pick to Philadelphia

Bulls acquire 45th pick from Hornets

Celtics exercise option on 11th pick from trade with Nuggets

Rockets, Magic swap first-round picks.
Last edited by RMJH4 on Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
RMJH4
Retro NBA Nut

Grizzlies Trade Abdur Rahim to Hawks for #3 Pick

Postby RMJH4 on Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:06 am

Grizzlies Trade Abdur Rahim to Hawks for #3 PIck, Select Pau Gasol.

The Vancouver Grizzlies agreed to trade Shareef Abdur-Rahim to the Atlanta Hawks for the No. 3 overall selection in Wednesday's NBA draft.

The Hawks also gave up forward-center Lorenzen Wright and point guard Brevin Knight, though the trade may not be formally completed until July 18. That's when Abdur-Rahim's base year salary increases, allowing the Grizzlies to fit Wright and Knight under their salary cap.

Hawks general manager Pete Babcock said he was not allowed to comment on any deals, but Grizzlies president Magic Johnson told the Vancouver Sun that the trade was completed the night before the draft took place.

"It was extremely difficult to trade Shareef because he's such a wonderful kid who has given so much to this franchise," Johnson said. "We called him and told him and thanked him for what he did for us."

The Hawks passed up a chance to make their highest draft pick in 26 years, instead going for a 6-foot-9 forward who was born in suburban Atlanta and went on to become the Grizzlies' career leading scorer.

Last year, Abdur-Rahim led the team with 20.5 points, 9.1 rebounds and 3.1 assists per game as the Grizzlies struggled to a 23-59 record.

The Hawks made the No. 3 pick for the Grizzlies selecting Pau Gasol and will then trade Gasol, since NBA teams are prohibited from giving up their first-round pick two years in a row.

Gasol the 7-0 Spanish Forward who plays with FC Barcelona is a super skilled athletic big man. His favorite position is Small Forward, but one would figure he would play Power Forward in the NBA. Gasol has a similar playstyle to fellow European Dirk Nowitzki. Magic Johnson will be hoping Gasol can reach similar levels to Nowitzki, only a lot quicker than Dirk did.

Vancouver wound up with three picks in the first round, also drafting at No. 6 and 27. At #6 The Grizzlies selected Small Forward Shane Battier, the John Wooden Award Winner who led Duke to the NCAA title this season. Battier somehow fell to the Grizzlies as teams gambled on High School players in the top 4 picks. Battier will bring a much needed defensive presence along with solid 3 point shooting.

At # 27 The Grizzlies picked Arizona Point Guard Gilbert Arenas. Arenas averaged 15.8 points and only 2.4 assists in his 2 seasons as a Wildcat. He helped lead Arizona to a Final Four appearance with Richard Jefferson who was drafted at #13. His scoring potential was probably the main reason the Grizzlies didn't let him drop out of the 1st round of the draft.

Atlanta already has agreed to trade its No. 1 pick next year to the Los Angeles Clippers as part of the deal that brought Wright to Atlanta two years ago.

The trade was the latest step in the Grizzlies' rebuilding process, which began after the team was taken over by AIG Investments and Magic Johnson earlier this month.
RMJH4
Retro NBA Nut

Postby Andrew on Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:31 am

It's weird seeing Gasol without a beard. Obviously I remember he used to be clean-shaven when he was...well, a fresh-faced rookie, but he's been sporting a beard so long it's a little strange when you look back at an old photo like that.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Grizzlies Roster and Rotation set for Season.

Postby RMJH4 on Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:10 pm

RMJH4
Retro NBA Nut

Grizzlies Schedule October 2001

Postby RMJH4 on Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:13 pm

RMJH4
Retro NBA Nut

Grizzlies announce rebrand for 2001-02 Season

Postby RMJH4 on Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:59 pm

RMJH4
Retro NBA Nut

Return to Stories from the Virtual Hardwood