Scratching and Clawing: Saving the Grizzlies

This section is for basketball video game story threads. Dynasty, Franchise, Association, MyPLAYER and Rising Star stories are all welcome here.

Scratching and Clawing: Saving the Grizzlies

Postby seaboh13 on Wed May 30, 2018 11:54 pm

Scratching and Clawing: Saving the Grizzlies.

Back in 1995, the NBA was looking to expand the league outside of America, and into Canada. The two cities they decided on were Toronto and Vancouver, two of the most populated cities in Canada. The former got the Raptors, with the latter receiving the Grizzlies.

While both franchises started off really bad, losing a lot of games, the Raptors were always a step ahead of the Grizzlies when it came to the basketball influence in their area.

Vince Carter catapulted the Raptors into fame and fortune, as he helped the team lead the NBA in attendance for three straight seasons in the early 2000s. Unfortunately, that has not been the case with the Grizzlies.

John McCaw Jr. was the owner of the team from 1995-1999, as well as the Vancouver Canucks. However, the operating costs were way too high, and the Canadian dollar was pretty weak so it just wasn’t profitable for him to own a team in that area, so he was forced to sell both the Grizzlies and Canucks.

The fact that McCaw was based on Seattle, did not help his situation. A lot of local businesses in Vancouver did not want to support the Grizzlies because it wasn’t owned by someone local. McCaw ended up selling the team to Chicago businessman Michael Heisley for $160 million in January of 2000.

The Grizzlies under Heisley’s ownership have not done any better so far. In 2000 and 2001, the Grizzlies saw their attendance drop significantly and continued to lose games. According to Dick Versace, the president of basketball operations for the Grizzlies, the team reportedly lost about $80 million in two years. That figure seemed ridiculous, but if you look at the bigger picture, it could be possible.

In the franchise’s first four seasons, the team actually had a decent attendance record. Not as good as Toronto’s obviously, but they were around the middle of the pack. But in the 1999-2000 and 2000-2001 seasons, the last two seasons, they have been the third worst in attendance for both years, averaging about 13,000 fans every game.

Of course the low attendance rates translated to lower revenue, but I mean, that’s not a huge deal. There’s been a lot of teams over the years that saw their attendance plummet if their team is losing a lot. But the thing is, with the Vancouver Grizzlies, the revenue loss has extended beyond just the lower fan attendance.

The team has struggled to get corporate sponsors and when they did, they weren’t worth that much anyway because the team has been losing a lot and had no All-Stars either. The NBA didn’t really promote basketball in Vancouver as much as they should have, as well.

Granted, the team itself has some solid players, like Big Country Bryant Reeves and Mike Bibby, and I guess Shareef Abdur-Rahim is their best player, but he was obviously not a household name. They have not had a single member of their team make an All-Star game in the six seasons in Vancouver.

Additionally, very few players have actually wanted to move to Vancouver in the first place. The most prominent example was Steve Francis. The Grizzlies drafted him with the 2nd overall pick in the 1999 NBA draft, but he did not want to play in Vancouver. Francis publicly stated that he did not like the city and did not want to move to Canada.

So now we are at a Crossroads in Vancouver. Heisley has applied to the NBA Board of Governors to move the franchise to Memphis for the 2001-02 Season. Many speculated that this was his goal from the moment he bought the Grizzlies from McCaw. We pick up the story here in April of 2001, right before the Board of Governors meeting to decide the fate of the Grizzlies..

Thursday April 18th, 2001

He checked his phone and glanced up at the dark clouds, he had no idea how this meeting would go. They had been asked to travel to the NBA Headquarters in New York on this night, of all nights, when the weather was being less than kind. They had just landed and were now waiting upstairs. It was eerily dark and quiet so he kept his mouth shut; after all, he wasn't exactly sure what would take place. He'd heard rumors of how this man conducted business with Mike back in the 90s.

Both men were nervous, slowly waiting on the elevator to reach the ground floor. It was an almost empty building with only a few lights on.

He ran his hand through his hair, still a bit wet and matted from the all the rain at the airport, nodded. “It really was a nice flight, Francesco.”

Francesco Aquilini shot him a thousand-megawatt smile. “Damn straight it was Earvin. Well worth the investment in that plane.”

The moment lasted for mere seconds before the doors to the conference room burst open and the diminutive figure of a man greeted them both. The man looked uneasy and stared at Earvin before locking eyes with Aquilini “Earvin, didn't expect to see you here, Francesco mentioned he had an esteemed business partner, but I really didn't expect it to be you.”

Aquilini's face remained stretched into a smile, though there didn’t seem to be much warmth behind it. “David, so glad to see you too. I think you two have met before. This is Earvin 'Magic' Johnson.”

It was then that Magic realized what he'd gotten himself into, here he was staring at David Stern, Commissioner of the NBA. It was suddenly real. All the talk on cell phones, exchanging emails, all roads led to this moment.

Stern ignored Aquilini's smile and uttered. “I'm lost for words men, come on in and take a seat.”

Aquilini cast a glance back at Magic and then shrugged at Stern “I trust this man; I wouldn’t have brought him on board otherwise David. We’re here to negotiate now, and he can help us get it done.”

Stern's face scrunched up as he tried to contain his smile. He walked over to shut the door before letting out a sigh of relief. He turned back around and walked to the conference room table. The large, circular glass table took up a lot of space in the room and made everything seem smaller.

Well, everything but Magic Johnson, all 6 foot 9 of him. Stern took out a thick envelope from his top drawer-- which didn’t look that well hidden at all -- and placed it on the table. He tapped on it with his right hand “Those are the final papers, everything we agreed to men.”

Aquilini walked over, sat down, and opened the envelope. He started sifting through the papers, slowly at first and then picking up speed as he went, he passed a second copy of them to Magic who sifted quietly through them aswell. After Magic was finished with the last page, he jumped out of his chair and looked like a kid about to go to Disneyland. “It’s perfect Dave!.” He shot Stern a sly look. “But, I think we'll have to move fast on this after the fall out.”

Aquilini combed his hair to the side, looking more uncomfortable with every passing second. “I want this to be over with. This entire thing has been a headache …I've had my head buried in the paper work for months on end..” He stared at the papers and then shook his head. “David, are you sure this will work??"

Before he could finish the words, Stern had a pen in his hand and was signing the papers. It took him only a minute before he was done. He set the pen on the table and slid the document towards Francesco. “When this goes through, you don't back out on our agreement, right? I presume you are ok with all the details Earvin?”

Aquilini looked down at the papers and then at Magic, "Heisley is going to hate us for this.", before finally picking up the pen and signing. He took longer and he looked less than thrilled, but when it was done, it was done. He set the pen down and then took a deep breath. “It’s in the hands of the Board of Governors now.” Stern Said.

Aquilini nodded and Stern gathered up the papers, putting them back in the envelope. He extended his hand and Aquilini shook it excitedly. “We should go back to our hotel and wait on the news Magic” Aquilini suggested.

Magic shook Sterns hand too. “I know you're a man of your word David, let's get it done." "I’ll get these papers to the league office now… the meeting starts in the morning at 9am. He took a long glance at the window outside, where the storm was letting up, and nodded once. “I’ll see you around gentlemen.” With that, Aquilini and Johnson left the conference room.
Last edited by seaboh13 on Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:50 am, edited 9 times in total.
seaboh13

NBA Board of Governors Reject Grizzlies Relocation

Postby seaboh13 on Thu May 31, 2018 12:15 am

NBA Board of Governors Reject Grizzlies Relocation.

On Friday a committee of seven NBA team owners voted unanimously to recommend the league reject an application to move the Grizzlies from Vancouver to Memphis next season. The upshot is that if eight of the 29 owners agree on May 15, the Grizzlies will remain in Vancouver. One assumes at that point Michael Heisley, the man who currently owns the Grizzlies and intends to move them to Memphis, would look to rescind his purchase agreement and the team could then be sold to some possible Vancouver-based investors.

According to Matt Yglesias, an economics writer at Slate, this decision was made solely because NBA owners discovered some fine print in the NBA rules and regulations stating that a team could not be relocated within 3 years of purchase. These documents were reportedly found by some investment groups and forwarded to the NBA Board of Governors last week.

"A consortium of Vancouver businessmen has approached us with an offer to pay for a controlling 70 percent interest in the Vancouver Grizzlies. We will speak to Grizzlies owner Michael Heisley and work through the entire process of why we declined his application to relocate the franchise. If he indeed wants to remain as principal owner we support that. As his his want, he made an ultimatum that if he didn't get approval for relocation, he said he would move to rescind his purchase of the franchise, and sell to the highest bidder immediately."

More news on this to follow later...
Last edited by seaboh13 on Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:43 pm, edited 6 times in total.
seaboh13

Grizzlies staying put, Heisley to sell team.

Postby seaboh13 on Thu May 31, 2018 12:15 am

NBA Owners block relocation of Grizzlies, Heisley to sell team to Francesco Aquilini and Magic Johnson for $200 Million.

May 15th - Vancouver, BC -- NBA officials announced today the Grizzlies would be remaining in Vancouver. The NBA Board of Governors moved to reject the relocation in April. The NBA owners today voted against the relocation. With the proposal to reject the relocation expected, Michael Heisley will now move forward with the sale of the team.

Vancouver businessman Francesco Aquilini and his business partner Magic Johnson are at the front of the queue to buy the Grizzlies. AIG and Johnson have been purchasing shares in Orca Bay Sports and Entertainment group in recent months. AIG are also trying to regain the Canucks franchise into the Orca Bay Group.

In light of the NBA Owners vote, The Vancouver Grizzlies announced that controlling owner Michael Heisley has sent a formal notice to the NBA that he will be selling his controlling interest in the basketball team.

17 Months after Heisley bought the controlling interest in the team, he is in negotiation to sell the team for $200 million. A profit of $40 million, which allows Heisley to break even on his initial investment. It's amazing that Heisley didn't just wait it out another season and a half to relocate the team. The Board of Governors found documentation stating that a franchise could not be relocated until ownership had held the team for 3 years minimum. Thus putting Heisley in a predicament. Heisley lost $40 million dollars in the last year, and previous owner John McCaw Jr lost the same in the previous season.

There are a lot of questions to be asked and answered now if Aquilini and Johnson's proposed sale goes through. The Grizzlies finished in the bottom 4 in the standings with a 23-59 record. They are slated to probably pick between #2 and #6 in the NBA Draft in June. Bryant Reeves has been battling injuries, and with Sidney Lowe being fired, the franchise is in real turmoil. Its up to Aquilini and Johnson to steady the ship here, and quickly.
Last edited by seaboh13 on Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:02 pm, edited 3 times in total.
seaboh13

Grizzlies sale to Aquilini and Johnson approved by NBA Owners

Postby seaboh13 on Thu May 31, 2018 7:52 am

Grizzlies sold to Aquilini Investment Group and Magic Johnson.

Vancouver, British Columbia - A group including former NBA player Magic Johnson has agreed to purchase Vancouver Grizzlies owner Michael Heisley's majority share in the team.

Heisley announced Monday that he will sell his 70 percent interest in Hoops, LP, the parent company of the Grizzlies and operator of the General Motors Place, to AIG Investment Group and Johnson.

A billionaire based in Chicago, Heisley bought the Vancouver Grizzlies for $160 million in 2000 and seventeen months later is selling the team after a failed relocation to Memphis Tennessee.

Magic Johnson famously played point guard for the Lakers for 13 seasons. After winning championships in high school and college, Johnson was selected first overall in the 1979 NBA draft by the Lakers. He won a championship and an NBA Finals Most Valuable Player Award in his rookie season, and won four more championships with the Lakers during the 1980s. Johnson retired abruptly in 1991 after announcing that he had contracted HIV, but returned to play in the 1992 All-Star Game, winning the All-Star MVP Award. After protests from his fellow players, he retired again for four years, but returned in 1996, at age 36, to play 32 games for the Lakers before retiring for the third and final time.

Johnson was a member of the 1992 United States men's Olympic basketball team "The Dream Team", which won the Olympic gold medal in 1992. After leaving the NBA in 1992, Johnson formed the Magic Johnson All-Stars, a barnstorming team that travelled around the world playing exhibition games. Johnson was honored as one of the 50 Greatest Players in NBA History in 1996. Getting Johnson on board with this bid was vital, as the franchise needs some positive PR to get back on track.

The remaining 30 percent of the Grizzlies belongs to a local ownership group that includes a range of local businessmen. The group has 60 days to decide whether to match the terms of the agreement between Heisley, AIG and Johnson.

"You have to engage the community and the city of Vancouver to believe in what you're trying to achieve," Aquilini said. "What I'm trying to achieve is to have a fantastic team that wants to win championships. The second thing you have to do is sit down with local leaders and municipalities and make this our team."

Listed among Forbes magazine's 400 richest Americans, Heisley was looking to relocate the team because it was losing money. When the NBA rejected the relocation, he felt he had no choice but to sell. Aquilini and Johnson were waiting in the wings to swoop in and buy the team.

Magic Johnson is now also rumored to take the role as President of Basketball Operations in Vancouver.

"Owning an NBA team has been one of my goals in my professional life," Johnson said. "I will be forever grateful to the people of AIG and Francesco for allowing me to come on board with this project. I am especially excited to connect with our great Grizzlies fans. I am sure they will support us from the very beginning. I am proud that we managed to keep this team in Vancouver and we are both confident that our future ownership will start building some success. We want to bring a new exciting and winning brand of basketball to the people of Vancouver."
Last edited by seaboh13 on Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:42 pm, edited 5 times in total.
seaboh13

Grizzlies Front Office Handed Walking Papers

Postby seaboh13 on Thu May 31, 2018 8:09 am

Grizzlies Front Office and Coaches handed walking papers.

June 1st, 2001

In a move that surprised many within the NBA, Francesco Aquilini has informed the Grizzlies front office and entire coaching staff that their contracts have been bought out. General Manager Billy Knight and Head Coach Sidney Lowe, who are both highly regarded in the NBA, would also be among those released.

“It’s a bold if not a dangerous move,” said Bill Simmons of ESPN “When you buy a team you generally want to surround yourself with people who know what they’re doing, which usually means holdovers from the last ownership group. This seems to fly in the face of that, but when you're one of the worst teams in the league year after year, heads are gonna roll.”

The news has been met with mixed reactions from around the league, notably from current front office executives. “I think doing it now, so close to the NBA Draft, is short-sighted,” said one Western Conference GM. “It’s disrespectful to have this done so soon in his tenure as owner. It’s going to make hiring replacements harder I think; no one wants to work for someone who won’t even give you a chance.”

One Eastern Conference executive disagreed. “Oh, no doubt some will hate this but this is a business that encourages taking risk, jumping on opportunities … there are plenty of young talents out there for the Grizzlies to reap. They drastically need to reshape how that franchise is being run, the bleeding needs to stop. Look at the Raptors, what a contrast. There is no reason why the Grizzlies can't be profitable.”

The Grizzlies have let it be known to the entire team that there will be some roster reshaping, be prepared to be moved. “It’s a relief to a lot of guys that we are staying in Vancouver, well at least for the moment” said Shareef Abdur-Rahim "It'll be a long offseason.”
Last edited by seaboh13 on Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:43 pm, edited 4 times in total.
seaboh13

My Office

Postby seaboh13 on Thu May 31, 2018 9:24 am

Ronnie Michaels Office FedEx Forum

February 7th 2018

One day left until the trade deadline. I've just sat through a 92-88 loss at the FedEx Forum. The Grizz have now fallen to a 18-36 record. With Mike Conley now out for the season with a bone contusion in his knee, this record is not going to get any better. It's hard to sit here and do nothing. Well I can do something. But I don't want to burn Mr Aquilini's ear up to much. My role here is pretty undefined so far. I work in the basketball operations department mainly. I liaise with scouts, check in with the higher up's in operations every so often, and catch a few practice sessions and games. I like to analyse data based on our player performances this season. It doesn't make pretty reading I can tell you. I have relayed some lineup data to the coaches and so far it seems to have fallen on deaf ears. 'Stay in your lane' was pretty much the reply I got. I'm quickly getting swept under the carpet here. There are a few reasons for that. The lack of a proper job description is one. I'm pretty much at the bottom of Basketball Ops. A second reason is well, I'm an outsider. A spy of sorts for the new owner who has to spend most of the week back in Vancouver. There is an uneasiness when I walk in the room with my folder under arm.

The season is lost at this point. We need to make a decision on where to proceed from here. To me, the core of this team is done. Conley can't stay healthy, Gasol has regressed, and grown frustrated with the losing. Parsons is never ever healthy. The only bright spot has been Tyreke Evans, but in my view that shows how far this team has fallen. All respect to Tyreke, but he should not be our best player. I think it's time to rebuild this team. Gasol could be moved at the deadline. JaMychal Green is also moveable, but Tyreke is the piece we could get some traction on. We have a couple of solid young guys, but nothing to write home about. The 2018 Draft looks tantalising. There is an opportunity to rebuild with 1-2 lottery picks. There are some great prospects like DeAndre Ayton, Luka Doncic, Marvin Bagley, Michael Porter Jr and the list goes on.

I should really write some of this down. I'll email Mr Aquilini. I want my thoughts known on this. It's time to take a foothold in basketball ops. I have the owners ear, so I better start using. Lets see what Mr Chris Wallace comes up with over the next 24 hours.

This makes for pitiful reading:

So I better get back to my main focus here. My special project. It's hard to stay focused on this when the roster needs to be fixed. I need to have this dossier ready for submission by March 1st. I feel like I'm in college all over again. I need to contact the Law firm and get them to go through a few things. I think it's almost ready.

Just to attach one last figure to support my submission.

Last edited by seaboh13 on Thu May 31, 2018 10:04 am, edited 6 times in total.
seaboh13

NBA Trade Deadline Recap

Postby seaboh13 on Thu May 31, 2018 9:35 am

2018 NBA Trade Deadline Recap

Griffin will team up with Andre Drummond in Detroit.

February 8th 2018

After weeks of speculation suggesting that it might be a quiet 2018 trade deadline, we got a pretty eventful day in terms of deals completed — NBA teams agreed to 12 trades today, after four others had been finalized in the 10 days leading up to the deadline.

The deadline was still quiet on some fronts, with contenders like the Warriors, Celtics, Rockets, and Raptors staying out of the fray, but the Cavaliers underwent one of the biggest single-day overhauls in years, and last week’s Blake Griffin trade was a bona fide blockbuster.

Our recap of all of 2018’s deadline deals can be found below, starting with the moves completed today…

Trades completed on deadline day:

Lakers acquire Isaiah Thomas, Channing Frye, and the Cavaliers’ 2018 first-round pick (top-3 protected).

Cavaliers acquire Jordan Clarkson and Larry Nance Jr.

Cavaliers acquire George Hill, Rodney Hood, and the draft rights to Arturas Gudaitis.

Jazz acquire Jae Crowder, Derrick Rose, and the right to swap 2024 second-round picks with the Cavaliers.

Kings acquire Iman Shumpert, Joe Johnson, the Heat’s 2020 second-round pick (from Cavaliers), cash ($2.1MM from Cavaliers; $1.1MM from Jazz), and the draft rights to Dimitrios Agravanis.

Heat acquire Dwyane Wade.
Cavaliers acquire a 2024 second-round pick (heavily protected).

Knicks acquire Emmanuel Mudiay.
Nuggets acquire Devin Harris and the less favorable of the Clippers’ and Knicks’ 2018 second-round picks (from Knicks).
Mavericks acquire Doug McDermott and the less favorable of the Kings’ and Trail Blazers’ 2018 second-round picks (from Nuggets).

Suns acquire Elfrid Payton.
Magic acquire the second-most favorable of the Grizzlies’, Hornets’, and Heat’s 2018 second-round picks.

Pistons acquire Jameer Nelson.
Bulls acquire Willie Reed and the right to swap 2022 second-round picks with the Pistons

Heat acquire Luke Babbitt.
Hawks acquire Okaro White.

Bulls acquire Noah Vonleh and cash.
Trail Blazers acquire the draft rights to Milovan Rakovic.

Nets acquire Dante Cunningham.
Pelicans acquire Rashad Vaughn.

Hawks acquire Sheldon Mac and cash.
Wizards acquire a 2019 second-round pick (heavily protected).

Kings acquire Bruno Caboclo.
Raptors acquire Malachi Richardson.

Trades completed in the 10 days leading up to the deadline:

February 7
Hornets acquire Willy Hernangomez.
Knicks acquire Johnny O’Bryant, the Hornets 2020 second-round pick, and the Hornets’ 2021 second-round pick.

February 5
Bucks acquire Tyler Zeller.
Nets acquire Rashad Vaughn and the Bucks’ 2018 second-round pick (if it falls between 31-47).

February 1
Pelicans acquire Nikola Mirotic and their own 2018 second-round pick (previously sent to Bulls).
Bulls acquire Omer Asik, Tony Allen, Jameer Nelson, the Pelicans’ 2018 first-round pick (top-5 protected), and the right to swap 2021 second-round picks with the Pelicans.

January 29
Pistons acquire Blake Griffin, Willie Reed, and Brice Johnson.
Clippers acquire Tobias Harris, Avery Bradley, Boban Marjanovic, the Pistons’ 2018 first-round pick (top-4 protected), and a 2019 second-round pick.
Last edited by seaboh13 on Thu May 31, 2018 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
seaboh13

Grizzlies Front Office Contracts will not be renewed

Postby seaboh13 on Thu May 31, 2018 9:51 am

Grizzlies Front Office Handed Walking Papers

February 28th, 2018

In a move that surprised no one within the NBA, Francesco Aquilini has informed the Grizzies front office that their contracts would be bought out at the end of the season. General Manager Chris Wallace, who is widely respected among the NBA, would also be among those released.

“It’s a bold if not a dangerous move,” said Bill Simmons on his latest podcast. “When you buy a team you generally want to surround yourself with people who know what they’re doing, which usually means holdovers from the last ownership group. This seems to fly in the face of that, but when you're on a losing streak of 11 games, heads are gonna roll.”

The news has been met with mixed reactions from around the league, notably from current front office executives. “I think doing it now, with over a month left in the season, is short-sighted,” said one Western Conference GM. “It’s disrespectful to have this done so soon in his tenure as owner. It’s going to make hiring a replacement harder I think; no one wants to work for someone who won’t even give you a chance.”

One Eastern Conference executive disagreed. “Oh, no doubt some will hate this but this is a business that encourages taking risk, jumping on opportunities … there are plenty of young executive talents out there for the Grizzlies to reap.”

The Grizzlies have let it be known to the entire team that there will be no further moves for the remainder of this season, luckily the trade deadline has passed. “It’s a relief to a lot of guys, yeah,” said Grizzlies Co- Captain Marc Gasol. “It’s good to know we’ll be together at the end of the year … helps get our minds clear, keep us focused. It'll be a long offseason.”

Focus is something the Grizzlies could use. They’re currently mired in a 11 game losing streak with a record of 18-42
seaboh13

GM Chris Wallace's Office

Postby seaboh13 on Thu May 31, 2018 9:14 pm

February 28th, 2018

He sat in his office, glasses on, his eyes reading the tablet before him over and over. He was disappointed. He was frustrated. He was beaten, let down by ex owner Robert Pera, and new owner Francesco Aquilini . GM Chris Wallace was on his way out at the end of the season and he simply couldn’t stand it.

The Grizzlies were struggling, after trying to reshape the roster to fit David Fizdale at the start of the season. They let Zach Randolph, Tony Allen and Vince Carter leave and with it the heart of Grit and Grind. Fizdale burnt too many bridges, tried to turn over too many a new leaf, and he had to be fired. So now the Grizz had a roster stuck in no mans land. Injuries to Conley and Parsons, and a frustrated Co Captain Marc Gasol. The franchise showed their support for Gasol by firing Fizdale, but that didn't solve every problem. He had recommended strongly to the new owner Francesco Aquilini to let him make trades to make the team better before the deadline. The Cavs had been calling him and calling him, asking about Marc Gasol, willing to give them Tristan Thompson and JR Smith for the center and Tyreke Evans. It was a good deal for a team that needed to tank, but could also give them some new energy.

But Aquilini didn't budge. He said he wanted to assess the roster for the rest of the season and not to deal anyone. He wouldn’t trade Gasol and, in repeated meetings with the man, had cited “experts” that told him it would be bad for the team. Smith and Thompson's attitude would further destroy the team chemistry. He threw out stats, he made a good argument, but of all it had seemed … scripted. Aquilini didn’t sound right when he started talking basketball stats. He was an investment man first, Ice Hockey second.

No, they weren’t his words. The stats weren’t something he came up with himself. It hadn’t taken Chris long to realize that Aquilini’s assistant was the one giving him those stats. Every time Wallace and Aquilini had met the assistant was just coming out of the office. Every time Chris made a plea to trade Gasol, Aquilini rebuffed him with something written in a little notepad. The assistant carried that notepad around on days when Aquilini would visit FedEx Forum.

It was obvious that Aquilini was being fed stats and opinions by that assistant and Chris had tried to talk some sense into the new owner. Aquilini responded by saying that for the remainder of the season Michaels would be promoted to Assistant GM. Wallace knew his time was up and that happened in this business. He wasn’t bitter about that.

He was bitter about being ignored for a personal assistant that looked like he was a scientist rather than a sports guy and had no knowledge of the inner-workings of the league. No knowledge of how players and agents operated. That person was being given more credit than him?

Yet, Aquilini ignored him; he froze him and his staff out and the Grizzlies were, predictably, losing. Although once Conley went down for the season, that was always going to happen. They were 18-42 and the season was spiraling out of control into something far, far worse. If Aquilini's strategy was to tank and try for a high draft pick, Wallace couldn’t blame him; but it you’re going to tank, you tank young. Not old.

He took a sip of his smoothie and wished he was just fired when Aquilini had told him all the front office would all be let go at the end of the season. But, no, he pridefully stayed on, convinced he could talk him into letting him make a few last moves. He stayed on to salvage something from this miserable experience and all he got for it was more misery.

All he got was ignored for some personal assistant.

He turned off his tablet, turned off all the potential trades that were spelled out beautifully in email and leaned back in his chair, the gears in his mind turning. He wasn’t going to stand for this. He wasn’t going to be made a fool of in front of his staff and in front of the NBA just because a new, hotshot owner thought he could save the Grizzlies.

But if there is one positive, it's that he won't be around to deal with the fallout if the Grizzlies relocate. The rumors around the office is that Aquilini and the new Assistant GM have been working on filing for relocation with the board of governors. The deadline for relocation is tomorrow and it will be interesting to see if they file it. Robert Pera better find a disused bomb shelter for the nuclear warhead's that will be launched in his direction.
Last edited by seaboh13 on Thu May 31, 2018 9:37 pm, edited 3 times in total.
seaboh13

Grizzlies owner files for relocation.

Postby seaboh13 on Thu May 31, 2018 9:33 pm

Grizzlies owner files for relocation.

The Memphis Grizzlies new owner had a major announcement today. In his interview on Inside the NBA, Francesco Aquilini told the host that he plans to move the team to the city of Vancouver for the 2018-19 season. This is a major shock to the people of Memphis and Vancouver. Aquilini who also co- owns the Vancouver Canucks had been pursuing a franchise to relocate to Vancouver since early last season. When the Grizzlies were on their way out of town in 2001, Aquilini's investement Group didn't have the necessary capital to bid to save the team then. "It's been a long wait to get this opportunity. I only hope the NBA board of governors see's fit to return the Grizzlies franchise to where it belongs in Canada."

If the Grizzlies are allowed to relocate from Memphis to Vancouver, it would be the fourth time this decade that an NBA team has pulled up stakes, even if it is to return home. Others to do so in the last three decades:

Switching Surroundings

2008 Sonics - Seattle relocated to Oklahoma City
2002 Hornets - Charlotte relocated to New Orleans
2001 Grizzlies - Vancouver relocated to Memphis
1985 Kings - Kansas City relocated to Sacramento
1984 Clippers - San Diego relocated to Los Angeles
1979 Jazz - New Orleans relocated to Salt Lake City
1978 Clippers - Buffalo relocated to San Diego

"Today we notified commissioner [Adam] Silver that we intend to relocate the Grizzlies to Vancouver, if we succeed in negotiating the early lease termination with the FedEx Forum." Aquilini said in a lengthy statement. NBA spokesman Tim Frank confirmed the league received notice and is referring the matter to the owners' relocation committee.
seaboh13

Re: Scratching and Clawing: Saving the Grizzlies

Postby Solaris Phase Two on Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:26 pm

Loving this!
Solaris Phase Two

Return to Basketball Video Game Stories