Miami Heat 2003-2004

Tell stories based on your franchise and career mode games here.

Miami Heat 2003-2004

Postby nag-champa on Sun Nov 16, 2003 4:43 pm

MIAMI HEAT 2003-2004

MIAMI (CP) - The Miami Heat finally got what they needed.

Eddie Jones and Brian Grant are no longer wearing Heat uniforms. Earlier this week Team President Pat Riley pulled the trigger on one of the biggest deals of this early season. Four games into training camp the Heat rid themselves of PF Brian Grant and SG Eddie Jones in exchange for Dallas energizer Steve Nash.

Nash, athletic and quick, give the Miami Heat a floor leader with enough energy to make the Tazmanian Devil jealous. "I think he gives us something we didn't have before" says Riley. "Steve will improve our transition offense and help us run the ball better. We'll also be able to move Dwayne (Wade) to his natural position of two guard".

On the other side of the deal, Brian Grant gives Dallas the frontcourt rebounder it was looking for. The addition of Jones gives them yet another scorer to come off the bench joining Antwain Jamison.

The aquisition of Nash drastically changes the face of the Heat. "We plan to run a lot more. We are a young, fast and athletic team" says coach Van Gundy. "Steve will help push the ball and control the offense."

Trading Grant leaves Miami without a formidable center. Vladamir Stepania will take over the starting job, leaving Samaki Walker to handle the backup duties. "We are a little thin up front now, but we feel, especially in the East, that we can compete even without a superstar big man" says Riley.

Nash is just the latest of new players to join the Heat. Earlier this summer Clipper outcast Lamar Odom signed for 5 years, giving Miami another scoring option. One month before training camp Miami dealt Rasual Butler, Shawn Kemp and Loren Woods to Indiana for swingman Austin Croshere. Croshere, who is to come off the bench and provide a spark in Miami's offense, has adapted well to Stan Van Gundy's new system. "I'll admit its very different then what Isiah (Thomas) was showing us over there. Stan has us running more of a free flowing offense. Everybody is always moving." said Croshere.

Along with a new offensive plan, Stan Van Gundy has also been working with new defenses. "We're simply not strong enough to battle man to man all the time. I think our players are fast enough and we've been working on a shifting 2-3 power zone. It helps take pressure off our perimeter defenders."

A lineup of Stepania, Odom, Butler, Wade and Nash will give Miami a quick young core the build from. Rookie Dwayne Wade will be moved to shooting guard with the aquisition of Nash. "Moving Dwayne was the plan we had from the beginning. It will take some time for him to ease into the system, but we expect him to be fine" says Van Gundy.

Early yesterday evening was the first practice with Nash. Van Gundy has said that he is a quick learner, and expects him to flourish right out of the gate. He will make his first appearance with the Heat as they travel to Indiana to face the Pacers in thier final preseason game. Miami is currently 2-2 this preseason. The Heat will also open the season on October 28th in Indiana.

NOTES: Guard Matthew Velor was the final member of the Heat cut yesterday. The current roster stands at 15.

CURRENT ROSTER

C - V. Stepania
PF - L. Odom
SF - C. Butler
SG - Dwayne Wade
PG - Steve Nash

6 - R. Alston
7 - A. Croshere
8 - S. Walker
9 - L. Harris
10 - T. Hill
11 - C. Parks
12 - B. Coles

IR - Damone Brown (strained quad)
IR - Brandon Armstrong (leg)
IR - Fred Jones (bruised elbow)
nag-champa

Postby Colin on Sun Nov 16, 2003 5:34 pm

I love your sig. rofl

Nice looking franchise. (Y)
C#
Pretty Flaco
Colin

Postby nag-champa on Sun Nov 16, 2003 7:32 pm

SEASON OPENER - MIAMI at INDIANA

INDIANAPOLIS (CP) - The Miami Heat are up to the same old things.

Last night's season opener featured the same thing we've seen from the Heat the past two seasons. Garbage. The Heat went into Conseco Fieldhouse Thursday night think they were reborn. New additions of Lamar Odom, Steve Nash and rookie Dwayne Wade kept things exciting the past few days for Heat fans. What wasn't exciting was thier performance last night. Miami commited 22 turnovers, including 5 by Caron Butler, and were blown out by the Pacers 7-63.

Ron Artest led Indiana offensivly, exploding for 25 points and suprisingly staying out of foul trouble. Jermaine O'Neal added 14 points and Jamaal Tinsley showed Indiana that he wants to be thier point guard by putting up a solid 13. "I thought we played hard. I really did. Our shots just weren't falling" said second year man Caron Butler who led the Heat with 15 points and 10 rebounds. "We just couldn't get any open looks."

Coach Van Gundy can not be happy with his teams performance. His new run and gun offensive didn't work out as planned as the Heat scored only 63 points, thier 3rd worse output in franchise history. "I think our zone defense worked well. A few of the new guys are still getting used to it." said Van Gundy. Newly aquired point guard Steve Nash contributed 14 points but only 3 assists. "I think the difference was the turnovers. We need to learn to take better care of the ball" said Nash.

Miami will have thier home opener Friday night against the Detroit Pistons. Tickets for the game are still available.

NOTES: Indiana forward Al Harrington left the game briefly in the 2nd quarter after going knee to knee with former Pacer Austin Croshere....PF Lamar Odom also left the game early in the 3rd quarter and did not return. He finished with 8 points and 3 rebounds. He is probable to start against Detroit.

GAME STATS

Entire Game Miami Indiana

Points 63 87
Bench Scoring 18 20
Field Goals 25/62 36/71
Field Goal % .403 .507
3 Point FG 3/15 6/16
3 Point % .200 .375
Free Throws 10/16 9/13
Free Throw % .625 .692
Rebounds 36 35
Off. Rebounds 4 2
Def. Rebounds 32 33
Blocks 9 5
Steals 6 9
Assists 13 17
Turnovers 22 14
Fouls 18 11

PLAYER STATS

.txt file
nag-champa

Postby Ruff Ryder on Mon Nov 17, 2003 12:35 am

Franchise looks pretty good. When you do the magazines and newspaper pics, try and take them at high resolution.

I dont think you should make too mant more 3 for 1 player trades. Are there any Free agents that you are interested in?

'Retired'

"You can’t drive a knife into a man’s back nine inches, pull it out six inches, and call it progress."-Malcolm X
Ruff Ryder

Postby alexboom on Mon Nov 17, 2003 4:26 am

great story :D
alexboom

Postby Shadyon on Mon Nov 17, 2003 6:53 am

very cool (Y). looking forward to your further stories and games!
Shadyon

Postby nag-champa on Mon Nov 17, 2003 4:44 pm

HOME OPENER - DETROIT at MIAMI

MIAMI (CP) - Even coach Stan Van Gundy couldn't beat to watch the Heat fall apart last night at American Airlines Arena.

Coach Van Gundy was ejected midway through the 3rd quarter after arguing a foul call on rookie guard Dwayne Wade. The ejection occured in the midst of an 18-0 run by the Detroit Pistons as they pulled away from the Miami Heat. SF Tayshaun Prince led Detroit with 22 points as five Pistons scored in double figures.

"We played extremely well. Even though Miami hasn't been winning the past few years, this is still a tough place to play." said Detroit coach Larry Brown. "They seemed to execute well and were in the game for 3 and a half quarters."

The Pistons opened up the game with a 12 point lead after the first quarter. "They came out firing" said second year man Caron Butler. "They moved the ball well and caused us to make mistakes on the defensive end." Miami closed the gap to 41-36 at halftime and came out of the gate strong in the third quarter. The Heat led 56-52 midway through the third until Detroit went on a scoring rampage putting up 18 unanswered points.

Newly aquired Steve Nash led Miami with 22 points and Lamar Odom chipped in 19 points and 5 rebounds.

Coach Van Gundy recieved his first technical foul in the 1st quarter after arguing an out of bounds call against Miami. Then once again erupted in the 3rd when Wade was called for a reaching foul. "I saw Dwayne reach in and grab the ball without any contact. In my book thats a steal. I guess the refs don't see it that way" said Van Gundy

NOTES: Detroit backup center Elden Campbell went down with 2:51 remaining in the 2nd quarter and did not return...Miami center Vladamir Stepania injured his left knee in the 3rd and did not return. He will miss 2-3 weeks.

STEPANIA INJURED

MIAMI (CP) - As if an 0-2 start and a beating by Detroit at home weren't enough, the Miami Heat are now having injury problems.

Last night, late in the 3rd quarter, starting center Vladamir Stepania drew a foul and went down hard. Stepania's left knee crashed into the hardwood causing him to grimace in pain and grab at his leg. He did not return.

The Heat are already thin at center after trading Brain Grant along with Eddie Jones to Dallas for Steve Nash. Stepania was given the starting job just a few days ago and now has gone down with a knee injury. The current prognosis is that he will miss 2-3 weeks of action. Team doctors examined Stepania last night at the American Airlines Arena medical facility. "Its not a real serious injury, just a bruise. It just needs a little rest and some time to heal. He'll be back in full form soon" says Dr. Louis Abbott, a team physician.

Losing Stepania for 3 weeks is not something Miami wants to hear. Rebounding numbers are already too low and the Heat have yet to establish any type of low post game. "This hurts us. We wanted to get out on a fast start. Win a few games and get the momentum going" says coach Van Gundy. "Now, we have to switch the lineup around a bit and make some adjustments to compensate for our lack of size"

Miami fans were very optimistic before the season started. The additions of Steve Nash, Lamar Odom and Dwayne Wade as well as the return of rookie sensation Caron Butler excited the city of Miami. Now, as the season gets underway Heat fans are seeing the same familiar thing.

GAME STATS

Entire Game Detroit Miami

Points 91 75
Bench Scoring 20 16
Field Goals 39/74 28/64
Field Goal % .527 .438
3 Point FG 9/15 4/11
3 Point % .600 .364
Free Throws 4/5 15/21
Free Throw % .800 .714
Rebounds 34 37
Off. Rebounds 3 7
Def. Rebounds 31 30
Blocks 10 2
Steals 6 5
Assists 16 11
Turnovers 13 9
Fouls 13 6

PLAYER STATS

.txt file
nag-champa

Postby nag-champa on Mon Nov 17, 2003 6:59 pm

BOSTON (0-2) at MIAMI (0-2)

MIAMI (CP) - When are we going to win a game?!

Once again, last night, the Miami Heat were embarrased in front of thier fans at the American Airlines Arena. After losing two in a row by double digits, the Heat managed to suffer thier worst loss of this early season. The Celtics (1-2) came out firing early, managing to open up a 19 point lead at the end of the first quarter. Miami cut the defecit to 8 midway through the 2nd, but foul trouble by Samaki Walker and inconsistent shooting let Boston pull away.

Paul Pierce exploded for the Celtics scoring 34 points and had a number of high flying dunks. Antione Walker contributed 16 while Eric Williams and Jumaine Jones added 15 a piece. "I felt good tonight. We had two rough games where I left like I wasn't in the flow. But I picked it up tonight" said Pierce.

Miami was led by Steve Nash's 21 points. Lamar Odom scored 17. "We are definately missing that low post presence. Lamar picked it up a bit in this game. He's not a low post player, but he did what I asked him to do." said Stan Van Gundy, whose team has yet to score over 75 points. "Its still early in the season. There are still 79 games left."

The only real suprises for Miami was the emergence of Lucious Harris off the bench and the rebounding of Tyronne Hill. Lucious scored 16 and earned more minutes than rookie guard Dwayne Wade. "I got into a rhythm out there. I was just trying to do what I can to help the team get back into it. We need to come out strong in the first quarter instead of giving up leads. Its hard to play from behind" said Harris.

Tyronne Hill added 5 points and 10 rebounds in limited action. "My job is to come off the bench and bang down low with the other guys. Its what I do best. I'm not going to score 30 a game, but if I can grab 10 or 12 rebounds...that will help the team" said Hill, who came over the Miami via free agency.

Miami's half court game is non existent and thier transition defense is terrible. "When the game slows down, and it becomes a half court game, we have very limited options" said Steve Nash. "Lamar (Odom) is doing what he can, but I think we need a legitimate low
post presence. Someone that can score in the post."

Shooting also played a part in the Miami loss. Nash shot just 9 for 25 from the field and shooting percentage as a team was an awful 36 percent. "Alot of shots weren't dropping" said Caron Butler, who only scored 4 points. "Its harder to get good looks because we're a smaller team. Even when we take it to the basket we get banged up and have to
struggle for a good shot."

The Heat will travel to Atlanta to face the Hawks Monday night.

NOTES: Miami C Vladamir Stepania, who is out for 2-3 weeks, will not be making the trip to Atlanta. He has been placed on IR with a swollen knee...PF Samaki Walker recieved a technical foul with 6:44 remaining in the 2nd quarter after arguing a foul call. Walker was in foul trouble early....Damone Brown has been activated from IR.

GAME STATS

Entire Game Boston Miami

Points 99 72
Bench Scoring 17 23
Field Goals 39/69 30/82
Field Goal % .565 .366
3 Point FG 4/11 4/16
3 Point % .364 .250
Free Throws 17/21 8/12
Free Throw % .810 .667
Rebounds 45 34
Off. Rebounds 2 9
Def. Rebounds 43 25
Blocks 3 8
Steals 4 6
Assists 23 10
Turnovers 17 9
Fouls 9 17

PLAYER STATS

.txt file
nag-champa

Postby nag-champa on Mon Nov 17, 2003 7:02 pm

yea yea, I know, Walker and Delk play for Dallas now. I forgot to make any roster changes before I started the franchise. Bah! Oh well.

Thanks for the compliments.
nag-champa

Postby Shadyon on Mon Nov 17, 2003 9:33 pm

when will you win your first game :lol: ? just kidding. nice reports!
Shadyon

Postby DrNick on Tue Nov 18, 2003 7:01 am

wat difficulty lvl r u playin on?
DrNick

Postby nag-champa on Tue Nov 18, 2003 8:01 am

I play 7 minute quarters on All-Star. With my style of play I usually like to throw it down low, but can't do that with this team. Each time I try to run on the break they seem to get back too quickly.

All the sliders are the same except for fatigue and subs which i moved to 50.
nag-champa

Postby nag-champa on Tue Nov 18, 2003 7:53 pm

MIAMI HEAT WEEKLY

MIAMI HEAT (1-8)

MIAMI (CP) - You would figure that Stan Van Gundy would be happy taking over the realms of head coach of the Miami Heat.

Not exactly.

The Heat's slow start (1-8) is not sitting well with team owner Mickey Aronson. Reports have it that Aronson is shopping around for a possible replacement for Stan Van Gundy. Aronson denies these reports, but sources close the the Heat organization say a change will becoming soon. Unless we see a drastic improvement within the next week or so, you can expect to be invited to Stan Van Gundy's going away party.

Miami opened the season with four straight losses, three of them by double digits. Paul Pierce abused them at home by scoring 34. Shareef Abdur-Rahim scored 41 the next night. "I think the problem is our lack of ability to score in the post." said Lamar Odom earlier this week. Odom has picked up the slack a bit, but its still quite obvious that even though the East is weak in the center position, the Heat still need a scorer in the post. "I have nobody to throw it down to when we set up in the half court offense." said Steve Nash. "We run isolation plays for our perimeter players, but its tough to get a shot off."

Miami's only win comes from an 'All-Florida' battle against the Orlando Magic. Miami managed to win the game 105-99 despite a poor performance from Caron Butler, who was hounded by Tracy McGrady all night. The win against Orlando was followed by another four straight losses. A rematch of the season opener once again went Indiana's way, Phoenix came in a scraped by with a win in American Airlines Arena, the undefeated 76ers won by 10 and New Orleans took a 10 point halftime defecit and turned it into an 18 point victory.

"I didn't plan on the season starting like this" said coach Van Gundy. "When we made the trade for Steve (Nash) and got rid of Grant, we expected to just run the floor. Now, when we set up in our half court offense, its hard to get things going. I feel bad for the players. We have a talented group, but with limited size its hard to get things done."

Van Gundy may not have to worry soon. Unless the Heat come back with at least 2 wins from the road trip, his short time in Miami might be up.

NOTES: Vladmir Stepania may return sooner than expected. Doctors have said that his bruised knee is "healing quite nicely"....Caron Butler mouthed off about Paul Pierce's performance earlier this week, expressing dislike for the Celtics star. "He talks alot of trash" said Butler. "Every possesion he's in my face saying something. He should just shut up and play the game". Butler also added "Next time, I'm going to get him"

MIAMI at ATLANTA

GAME STATS

Entire Game Miami Atlanta

Points 95 102
Bench Scoring 35 19
Field Goals 39/78 42/76
Field Goal % .500 .553
3 Point FG 3/11 4/12
3 Point % .273 .333
Free Throws 14/17 14/18
Free Throw % .824 .778
Rebounds 32 35
Off. Rebounds 4 3
Def. Rebounds 28 32
Blocks 3 7
Steals 7 7
Assists 13 22
Turnovers 9 17
Fouls 12 14

PLAYER STATS

.txt file

MIAMI at PHILADELPHIA

PLAYER STATS

.txt file
nag-champa

Postby Maestro23 on Tue Nov 18, 2003 8:25 pm

Nice dynasty man. I will keep up with this one. Nice covers. Been wanting to do something like that in mine.
Maestro23

Postby FanOfAll on Wed Nov 19, 2003 11:47 am

Wow the coaches can get ejected?

And did you make the covers or did the game make them?
FanOfAll

Postby DrNick on Wed Nov 19, 2003 12:14 pm

he da picz from da game den added da wordz.

right?
DrNick

Postby Jay-Peso on Wed Nov 19, 2003 12:17 pm

How did you do that??
What you know bout that?
Jay-Peso

Postby nag-champa on Wed Nov 19, 2003 4:54 pm

MIAMI at SEATTLE

SEATTLE (CP) - The movement to save Stan Van Gundy's job has begun.

The Miami Heat actually looked impressive last night, defeating the unbeaten Seattle Supersonics 110-97. Miami was led by Steve Nash who had 29 and Lamar Odom who had 27. "It was a good effort from the two of them. When we built this team, that is how we pictured it" said coach Van Gundy. "Seattle is a good three point shooting team. They have alot of players that can hit that 25 footer. I thought we did a good job of getting out there and contesting the shots"

Stan Van Gundy has been under fire as of lately, as his Heat have gotten off to a bad start. They dropped four straight, beat Orlando, then dropped another four. "I think we are starting to come together now, our players are starting to understand the system we are using." he said. "When we play like this, I think we can beat anyone"

Reserve Tyronne Hill had yet another solid game racking up 15 points and 7 boards in 24 minutes. It is his third such performance in a row. "I just do what coach asks me. Whether I play for 5 minutes or 50, I'm out there to do a job" said Hill.

The Heat led by 11 after the first quarter. Seattle closed the gap numerous times, but Miami was able to prevail in the 4th. "I don't think our record indicates what kind of team this is" said Lamar Odom. "Even though we are 2-8, I think we are still going to compete for a playoff spot. Our talent is there, its just up to us to execute the gameplan."

Miami's next game could be the determining factor of Stan Van Gundy's future with the Heat. Miami is set to play the Western powerhouse Sacramento Kings tommorow night, at Arco Arena, one of the toughest arenas to win in. "They are a tough team, the Kings. Very versatile. They can hurt you in many different ways. We just have to find a way to go out, keep it close and put it away in the end" said Caron Butler, who has been struggling as of late. "This team can do it. We just have to go out there and play our game"

NOTES: PF Samaki Walker went down late in the 3rd quarter last night with a bruised elbow. He is expected to be ready for tommorow night....Seattle guard Brent Barry was called for a technical foul after kicking the goalpost after a questionable traveling call.

HILL TO START

SEATTLE (CP) - The 13 year veteran Tyronne Hill, who has been impressive of late, will start Thursday's game against Sacramento.

Hill, who is averaging 11 points and 10 rebounds in the last 3 games, will take Samaki Walker's place at center. Walker, who went down with a bruised elbow in the third quarter of last night's game, will come off the bench.

"We know what Tyronne can do" said Stan Van Gundy. "He can still play. Thats the reason we signed him. If we didn't think he could play, then we wouldn't have."

Hill's last start was last season playing with the Cleveland Cavaliers. He was signed a week before the season via free agency.

GAME STATS

Entire Game Miami Seattle

Points 110 97
Bench Scoring 28 11
Field Goals 44/69 37/65
Field Goal % .638 .569
3 Point FG 6/8 11/23
3 Point % .750 .478
Free Throws 16/23 12/16
Free Throw % .696 .750
Rebounds 22 29
Off. Rebounds 2 4
Def. Rebounds 20 25
Blocks 5 7
Steals 10 4
Assists 13 22
Turnovers 7 25
Fouls 11 19

PLAYER STATS

.txt file
nag-champa

Postby mike879 on Wed Nov 19, 2003 8:05 pm

wow man, credits on your efforts on doing this... nice stories.... cool mags... hehehe...
mike879

Wow !

Postby Toaster on Thu Nov 20, 2003 6:53 am

A very enjoyable read !
Keep up the good work !
Toaster

Postby nag-champa on Thu Nov 20, 2003 1:28 pm

MIAMI at SACRAMENTO

SACRAMENTO (CP) - Alonzo Mourning would be proud.

Last night, the Miami Heat won thier second game in a row. The Heat survived an explosion by Sacramento's Chris Webber and Peja Stojakovic who scored 27 a piece. Miami, after starting the season 1-8, entered this 5 game road trip with minimal hopes. They defeated Seattle two nights ago and last night beat powerhouse Sacramento in Arco Arena.

Miami was led by Steve Nash who scored 28 points in 25 minutes. Lamar Odom chipped in 19 points and 11 rebounds.

"This was a must win for us" said Nash. "We want Stan (Van Gundy) to be our coach. We think we owed it to him to win this game. We're a better team then our record says".

Miami kept the game close the whole way and won it from the free throw line. Forward Samaki Walker, who was benched in favor for 13 year veteran Tyronne Hill, scored 17 points and grabbed 6 boards. He provided Miami with the post presence they have been asking for all week.

"They are a good team" said Kings forward Chris Webber. "Odom is a player. I tried to do what I could to force him to the outside, but he has that quick first step. I think thier bench played big too".

The Heat may have single handedly saved coach Stan Van Gundy's job. Heat fans were calling for the head of Van Gundy after the team started 1-8 and seemed to struggle against mediocre teams. Player said they just had trouble easing into Van Gundy's system, but now seem to be adjusting well.

The Heat will fly to Boston to play the Celtics tommorow night. Boston came into American Airlines Arena earlier this season as Pierce scored 34. Caron Butler had some words earlier this week for the Boston Guard, claiming he "talks too much trash" and he "should shutup and play". Butler, who has been struggling of late had 16 points 3 rebounds and 3 assists last night.

GAME STATS

Entire Game Miami Sacramento

Points 92 90
Bench Scoring 25 20
Field Goals 38/62 39/72
Field Goal % .613 .542
3 Point FG 2/6 4/14
3 Point % .333 .286
Free Throws 14/19 8/11
Free Throw % .737 .727
Rebounds 30 25
Off. Rebounds 3 4
Def. Rebounds 27 21
Blocks 7 7
Steals 4 8
Assists 12 21
Turnovers 13 13
Fouls 7 18

PLAYER STATS

.txt file

note: I finally had some time and updated the newspaper graphic. Hope you all like it. Thanks for reading.
nag-champa

Postby DrNick on Fri Nov 21, 2003 11:37 am

u usin photoshop?
DrNick

Postby nag-champa on Fri Nov 21, 2003 1:31 pm

yep
nag-champa

Return to Stories from the Virtual Hardwood