::: THE RETURN ::: NBA 2K17 story ::: News article update

Tell stories based on your franchise and career mode games here.

::: THE RETURN ::: NBA 2K17 story ::: News article update

Postby Fresh8 on Wed Aug 03, 2016 1:43 am

THE RETURN: A NBA 2K17 STORY

SETTINGS

TBC

CHAPTER

Prologue
Chapter 1

MESSAGE FROM SIT

Dear all, I am back. I intend to use this as my creative outlet regardless of whether there are many readers or not. I do encourage everyone to join me in creating their own story threads when 2K17 is released. Let's try and revive this section of the forum!

DISCLAIMER

This is a fictional story. None of the events or characters in this Association Story are meant to be real-life portrayals of relateable events, individuals, or organizations. This story is fictitious with no real life basis. If any similarities do occur, it is of mere coincidence. I will also not be held liable for any defamation, libel, or whatever equivalent offense that I may be alleged to have committed.
Last edited by Fresh8 on Mon Oct 03, 2016 11:26 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Fresh8
The poster formerly known as Sit

Re: ::: THE RETURN ::: NBA 2K17 story ::: Prologue

Postby Fresh8 on Wed Aug 03, 2016 1:45 am

Prologue

’Ball is life.’

That’s the popular catch phrase I hear these days from the kids. Yeah, I guess I can relate. I always loved basketball growing up. Basketball was with me 24-7. It never stopped.

I first picked up a basketball when I was around 10 years old. That was because my friends were into it. My family were more into football. My friends got me into basketball. I became pretty good at it too.

Before I say more about me; let me tell you about my favourite player growing up. It had to be The Glove. Gary Payton. No one else was as good as him. He could do it all on both ends of the court. I always wanted to be like him. Not like Mike. Like The Glove. I was screaming when I saw him switch on His Airness in the 1996 NBA Finals. I cried when he lost in the same NBA Finals. I god damn cried.

Back to me; I was pretty damn good at basketball when I was going through high school. It wasn’t just at school where I got my name and reputation out there. I also went down to the park to play pickup after school and on the weekends. I loved to play with the older players there. They made me tougher. I showed them cats that I could ball. After a bit of time; everyone was coming down to see me.

My game was modelled around The Glove’s. I wanted to be as tenacious as him on defence. I wanted to be as quick as him on attach. And I definitely wanted to be as nasty as him with the trash talk. I got to admit though, I sort of failed with the trash talk business.

I was so good at basketball that I even got a few scholarship offers. I ended up committing to the University of Washington. That was a pretty big deal for my family. Not only was I staying home but I was going to be a Husky. My dad used to play football for them.

My family really loved the fact I was going to play college basketball even though they didn’t really see the beauty of the game like I did. They went around town boasting that I was going to be a Husky but at the same time, they were upset I wasn’t going to follow dad’s footsteps as a football player.

No matter what I say about my family however, I need to make it clear that I was blessed as a kid. My family always took care of me through thick and thin. This was evident in the coming years since leaving to go to college and even more evident in the last few of my life.

I got to college at a bad time. My career at Washington was sandwiched in between some pretty decent squads. The Huskies had just been to the dance back to back in 1998 and 1999. I played from 2000 until 2002. Imagine my morale when these guys got back to the dance in 2004! I stayed at college until my junior year but I wasn’t even getting minutes on a losing team. Coach Bender got fired after my final season there. He deserved it because he didn’t play me! I’m kidding; I enjoyed playing for coach. The losing did take its toll on me though and it killed any hope I had of making it to the NBA.

My dream was always to get into the NBA but you aren't going to get there posting up pedestrian numbers on a terrible team. After college, I was realistic about my lack of prospects in making it. However, I met an agent who sold me on playing overseas. That’s where I took my talent.

Everything else for the next 10 years or so is a blur. Once overseas, I didn’t even follow the NBA like I used to. The only time I did think of the NBA was when the Sonics moved to Oklahoma City. That was a sad day for me.

While I was gone, I made a lot of money. I met a girl and got married. We had a kid. I was settled in my new life. I did that for a decade. Man, life was great. That was until it all came tumbling down.

I still remember the day I received the phone call. Yes, that phone call. Many of you may have received the same one. Many of you will receive it one day if you haven’t yet. Mom passed away. I flew back straight away. I remember saying good bye. I still regret not spending enough time with her. She was my provider growing up and my confidant. Suddenly she was gone. Dad was already in bad health but got worse and he passed a couple of years later. I think he was heartbroken. He had lost his soul mate. It seemed like he had lost all purpose and direction when mom went.

My brother and sister had taken over the family business. They told me to go back overseas to focus on my career. I did but it wasn’t the same. I didn’t handle my loss well. I started to drink and to gamble.

My girl and I; we broke up. I was bad to her. I mean really mean. I am ashamed to say that I hit her when I was drunk. That was a huge mistake. She left me. She took our child with her. I feel the void in my life that’s been left by her taking away my boy.

I ballooned in weight like Shawn Kemp and Vin Baker did in the 1990s. I was a mess. I turned up drunk to practice. I turned up to games blind drunk. I got cut from my team. My agent told me to go home to the States. He said I had to sober up. “You can’t get another contract until you clean yourself up,” he told me.

I told him, “I’m too old for that shit. I’m retiring.”

I came home and it just got worse. DUI’s. Assaults. I also got into drugs. I wasn’t a walking headline though. Just another statistic. No one cares about a washed up international ball player. It would have been different if I was a Dennis Rodman or a Lamar Odom. People would have wanted to ‘help me’ if I had that kind of profile. Isn’t it sad?

I got sent to gaol. I spent some time in there. To be fair; that shit did sober me up. I walked out of there a clean man. I was nowhere near reformed but I definitely don’t want to go back into there. You may ask why and all I can say is that this would be a story for another time.

Out of all of my misery, I had fallen out of love with basketball. I had forgotten what it felt like to love something and to give it my all. I missed feeling the passion that I had for the game. So I took a page from my agent’s book; the one about cleaning myself up. I did that. I worked on myself physically, mentally and emotionally. It was hard at first but I eventually got there. It wasn’t overnight. It took time.

I got back onto the basketball court. I went to rehab and met some wonderful people. I started to work with my siblings within the family business to get back into routine. I even called my agent to plan my next move. That was after I stumbled across a bunch of posts on the internet that said ‘Ball is life’.

I’m feeling pretty good about myself and I think that I have fallen back in love with basketball. I want to push myself so that I can feel the way that I did years ago. The way that I felt when I used to make an important play on the court or when I felt the camaraderie between a teammate and myself. The way that I felt when I was at the park trying to show everyone older than me that I was the man. The way that I felt when I was a kid watching the Sonics contesting the NBA Finals.

I know that I can fulfil all of that in my latest journey and I want to share it with you. I want to share my basketball journey with you all.

This is my story.
Fresh8

Postby dare on Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:05 am

Great intro bro!
dare
True kings have rings

Postby Mark. on Wed Aug 03, 2016 8:09 pm

Great writing. More please!
"Money is options, not happiness, its what you do with those options that makes your life" - Conrad Bishop
Mark.
Sweet Disposition

Postby Kevin on Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:48 pm

Goddamn that intro :bowdown:
Rest In Peace Kobe
Kevin
Fuck the Celtics

Postby Valor on Fri Aug 12, 2016 10:54 am

Welcome back! Can't wait to see the story develop (Y)
Valor
Fire GarPax

Postby Murat on Tue Aug 16, 2016 5:03 am

Wow... so nice to see you around.

Maybe this story can bring sort of a life to this section of Forum
Murat
Contributor
Contributor

Postby [Q] on Tue Aug 16, 2016 7:38 am

Welcome back! So we'll have to wait for the game to come out for more?
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Fresh8 on Wed Aug 31, 2016 8:42 pm

dare wrote:Great intro bro!

Mark. wrote:Great writing. More please!

Kevin wrote:Goddamn that intro :bowdown:

Valor wrote:Welcome back! Can't wait to see the story develop (Y)

The Real Badger wrote:Wow... so nice to see you around.

Maybe this story can bring sort of a life to this section of Forum

[Q] wrote:Welcome back! So we'll have to wait for the game to come out for more?

Thanks everyone for your comments and feedback. I hope to be more regular now with updates! :)
Fresh8

Re: ::: THE RETURN ::: NBA 2K17 story :::

Postby Lamrock on Tue Sep 20, 2016 6:54 am

Glad to see you back man! Looking forward to more
Lamrock

Postby Fresh8 on Fri Sep 23, 2016 7:46 am

Hey everyone. I have the game but been in between moving houses and we don't have internet yet. That's why this hasn't started. More to come soon though. I promise!

And good to see you back Lamrock! Are you going to do one too?
Fresh8

Postby Martti. on Fri Sep 23, 2016 7:56 am

Will have to check back here more often now. Can't wait! (Y)
Martti.
#HeatLifer

Lamrock

Postby Lamrock on Sun Sep 25, 2016 3:41 am

Fresh8 wrote:And good to see you back Lamrock! Are you going to do one too?

Man its tempting - 2K17 is really fun. School's gotta come first though. I'm coming for the crown in 2k19 though ;)
Lamrock

Postby Fresh8 on Mon Oct 03, 2016 5:44 pm

I've got the game and I've just got internet. :)

Great to see this part of the forum pumping again!
Fresh8

Postby Fresh8 on Mon Oct 03, 2016 11:20 pm

Warriors Media Day: Curry and Durant focused on title chase
29 September 2016

Woody Hannes
ESPN Staff Writer

OAKLAND -- The Golden State Warriors are favourites to lift the Larry O'Brien trophy next July and their lead stars Stephen Curry and Kevin Durant are mighty confident in doing that.

Fresh off a NBA Finals loss to LeBron James and the Cleveland Cavaliers following a historic 73 win season, Curry is motivated to help the Warriors go one step further to return to the status of NBA champions. Curry has, fairly or unfairly, shouldered a lot of the blame for the Finals loss to James and co. He says that he is not fazed by any of the criticism but many around the Warriors camp have stated otherwise.

“He is hungry because he is bothered by all of the talk,” Draymond Green told whoever would listen. Added Klay Thompson, “Steph took a lot of time off. That included not joining us at the Olympics. I know he doesn’t appreciate all of the back chat about him.”

Now enter Durant, who everyone has voiced their opinion of his defection to the team that knocked his Thunder out of the Western Conference Finals. Like his new teammate, Durant says that he is not bothered by the negativity that has been sent his way and is solely focussed on winning his first NBA championship. Durant has been spending the most time on the practice court out of all of his new teammates.

There is one common theme though, which is that both players are excited for the regular season to start proper so that they can get onto the court to let their games do the talking after a summer of many voices criticizing the joining of forces between two of the biggest stars in the current NBA. Prior to this summer, both Curry and Durant were viewed as nice guys who could do no wrong. Durant deciding to Curry, Thompson and Green was the finishing touch to his and Curry’s respective transformations from nice guys to bad guys.

“It’s crazy to think that just two or three seasons ago, everyone was loving Kevin especially after he won MVP,” Head Coach Steve Kerr says, “And then last season everyone was still in love with Steph. Now everyone doesn’t really want to see them and us do so well.”

Whatever the talk is around the league however, the Warriors' two biggest and brightest stars appear to be on the same page. "I came here to win a championship and I chose this team because I felt like it was the best fit and basketball decision," Durant proclaimed at the start of his media day interview with the dozens of reporters. Not too far away, Curry was echoing those sentiments, "I feel like we have a really strong team and a really good chance at a championship. We are just going to have fun and try and win this title. If that's not the goal at the end of the day then there's no reason for any of us to be here."
Fresh8

Re: ::: THE RETURN ::: NBA 2K17 story ::: News article update

Postby Fresh8 on Mon Oct 03, 2016 11:47 pm

Sources: Rubio-Noel trade imminent

1 October 2016

Woody Hannes
ESPN Staff Writer

NEW YORK -- Sources have indicated that a trade between the Minnesota Timberwolves and Philadelphia 76ers involving Ricky Rubio and Narlens Noel as major pieces is “imminent”.

Rubio is about to enter his fifth year as an NBA pro and has been at the centre of increased trade rumours since the NBA draft after the Wolves selected Providence guard Kris Dunn in the lottery. New coach Tom Thibodeau had defended the franchise’s decision by arguing that perhaps Rubio and Dunn could play on-court at the same time. However, it is believed that Rubio’s lacklustre showing at the Rio Olympics may have been the final straw for the Wolves.

Despite coming away with a bronze medal with the Spanish national team; Rubio averaged only 4.5 points per game and 3.3 assists per game. His three point shooting percentage was just 29%. Rubio’s talents with the ball are as well-known as his inability to shoot the ball. The Olympics showing did not help him at all.

Meanwhile, the Sizers are potentially looking at trading away Noel in order to create space in an overly crowded frontcourt. Recently, Noel had come out in the media criticising the front office for not making any moves during the summer to address a three-way logjam at centre between himself, Jahlil Okafor and Joel Embiid.

A potential Rubio-Noel swap makes sense for both teams involved. The Sixers do not have any sure-fire starting point guard at the moment. This has even led Sizers coach Brett Brown to say that he was considering preparing number 1 overall pick Ben Simmons to take over starting duties during the season. The Sixers have a lot of talent in the frontcourt that would benefit greatly from a floor general like Rubio.

The Wolves would welcome Noel as a great compliment to the versatile Karl Anthony-Towns. A line-up including Noel, KAT, Dunn, Zach Lavine and Andrew Wiggins would be one of the most exciting young line-ups in the entire NBA.

Other popular trade destinations that have been speculated for Rubio have been the Sacramento Kings and the Houston Rockets; both teams needing a competent pass first point guard.
Fresh8

Postby Fresh8 on Tue Oct 04, 2016 12:02 am

Lakers just about ready to embark on life without Kobe

10 October 2016

Woody Hannes
ESPN Staff Writer

LOS ANGELES -- The Los Angeles Lakers are putting together the finishing touches before the new NBA season starts, which will be its first season since 1995-96 without a player named Kobe Bean Bryant on the roster. Kobe Bryant first played for the Lakers in the 1996-97 season as a rookie off the bench.

Second year guard D’Angelo Russell and third year forward Julius Randle have both been very vocal about this young team’s ambitions in its upcoming season. Both are not afraid to set some rather high goals for the team.

“We want to be in the mix for the playoffs,” Russell has been saying for weeks. “I think we will surprise some people and win a lot more games than they think,” Randle claims.

The player who has taken over Bryant’s locker is rookie Brandon Ingram and he, too, is excited about the challenges that this team will face. “I like the pressure that we all have. The Lakers franchise is a very famous one with a lot of history. We want to be the next generation of heroes for LA,” he confidently exclaims.

Head Coach Luke Walton, who won two (2) NBA titles with the Lakers in 2009 and 2010, has brought professionalism as well as a sense of freedom to this young squad that he has inherited. “Watching from afar, I felt that many of the young guys were constrained because Kobe was still here. They weren’t really going anywhere. As great as Kobe is and was, I think it’s an understatement to say how lucky we all are to get a chance to start with a clean slate and really make our own history now,” Walton reflected.

Walton will have ample opportunity to build whatever team he wants and to bring whatever approach he wants to the Lakers. The Lakers have done a fair job in surrounding its young pieces with veteran leaders in Timofey Mozgov and Luol Deng. They have even taken a flier on Chinese star Yi Jianlian who has so far shown he is still an intriguing proposition with his ability to stretch the floor as a centre or power forward.

The only real thorn in the Lakers’ side is Nick Young who remains in limbo. Many expect for him to be traded or waived. Following that, the Lakers will truly be embarking on its first foray into the ‘After Kobe Bryant era’ of Lakers basketball.
Fresh8

Postby dare on Wed Oct 05, 2016 8:28 am

Woody Hannes returns!
dare
True kings have rings

Postby Lamrock on Wed Oct 05, 2016 10:45 am

Nice articles. Based on your avatar... Lakers?
Lamrock

Postby Valor on Wed Oct 05, 2016 3:22 pm

The return of Woody Hannes :applaud:

Love the write ups, massive crack up when I read that D'Angelo RATsell (Yeah, that one isn't going away anytime soon) said he wants to be in the mix for the playoffs :lol:

Guessing Lakers, but knowing you it could be a twist and you'll be using whoever has Rubio :cool:
Valor
Fire GarPax

Postby Fresh8 on Sat Oct 08, 2016 11:48 am

The team... you will need to wait and see! An update is coming soon. :)
Fresh8

Return to Stories from the Virtual Hardwood