Hypun.com: 10 Greatest Basketball Video Games Of All-Time

Talk about any and all other basketball video games including NBA Jam, NBA Street, college basketball games, and more. General basketball video game discussion and comparison topics are also welcome here.

Hypun.com: 10 Greatest Basketball Video Games Of All-Time

Postby Andrew on Sun Apr 19, 2015 12:13 am

Here's an article we discussed in Episode #114 of the NLSC Podcast: 10 Greatest Basketball Video Games Of All-Time

1. NBA Jam
  2. NBA 2K11
  3. NBA Street (Original)
  4. NBA Live 95
  5. College Hoops 2K8
  6. NBA 2K13
  7. NBA Street Vol. 2
  8. NBA Live 2000
  9. NBA Inside Drive 2002
  10. NBA 2K1

The list seemingly takes into account cultural impact, influence on future games, and what the games achieved at the time. Otherwise - as much as I love it and have fond memories of playing it back in the day, and as important as it was in its time - there's no way you'd rank NBA Live 95 ahead of NBA 2K13.

I've yet to put together my own top ten, but I thought I'd see if I could get the ball rolling on a discussion anyway, since lists are usually fun to compile and talk about. NBA Live 2004, NBA Live 2005, and NBA Live 06 (PC, not 360) would definitely be on my list somewhere, though.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: Hypun.com: 10 Greatest Basketball Video Games Of All-Time

Postby Patr1ck on Sun Apr 19, 2015 11:44 am

I think that just shows the age of the staff. Don't you remember NBA Live 95 and the impact it had on you at the time?

A Live 95 gameplay video has more likes than every other Live 15 videos on their facebook nba live videos page. You will see lots of positive comments and memories on that video, other than the ones that say they haven't changed the graphics since.

I agree with most of their list, including the games I never got to play much, but I don't see Live 2005 on it.
Patr1ck
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Andrew on Sun Apr 19, 2015 11:59 am

Oh, I don't disagree with the ranking based on NBA Live 95's impact and what it did in its time. I'd say it would make my list, too. I'm just saying that all other things being equal, comparing what NBA Live 95 does with what NBA 2K13 does, 2K13 is the superior game because of superior technology and close to two decades of improvements being made to basketball games. However, add those aforementioned factors, and Live 95 definitely earns its place.

Also, since you brought it up, I'm definitely growing weary of the snarky "Is that NBA Live 16?" and "The game/graphics hasn't gotten better since" remarks that a lot of people like to toss out there when NBA Live 95 screenshots and footage are posted. If we want to be taken seriously as gamers - and armchair critics - then we should refrain from such asinine hyperbole. It does little for our credibility, and even as a joke, it's old and done to death. If we're going to critique NBA Live's graphics and gameplay - and we certainly can and should, if we want to see improvement - then we need to make intelligent observations, not throw out overused snarky jabs. It's like people throwing the word "cheese" around in regards to issues with NBA 2K. How are developers supposed to take us seriously if they have to wade through that muck to find constructive and useful feedback?

Anyway, rant over. Just something that's been on my mind as of late. ;)

NBA Live 2005 was a great release. First game in the series with the All-Star Weekend, good gameplay that could produce some realistic results with a few slider tweaks, the debut of Freestyle Air, some customisation options that weren't in NBA Live 2004...2004-06 on PC/PS2/Xbox were some really strong releases for NBA Live.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby [Q] on Sun Apr 19, 2015 12:54 pm

I remember being about 9 or 10 years old playing Live 95 on PC, and I do remember there were definite issues I had with the game. The lack of free agency and missing several superstars brought the experience down quite a bit. If a Live game should make the list, it should be 98, 2000, 2005, or 2006. Hell, I'd even put Live 10 over 95.
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Sun Apr 19, 2015 1:07 pm

Even taking into account cultural impact and importance to the genre?

Of course, I'm also thinking of the PC version, which was superior to the Super Nintendo version (except for the lack of a steal button, despite keyboards and PC gamepads of the time clearly allowing for one).
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Murat on Sat May 02, 2015 6:32 am

NBA Live 2005 and NBA 2K9 are not written.

Both were amazing.
Murat
Contributor
Contributor

Postby mp3 on Tue May 05, 2015 9:07 pm

For me nba live 2001/2004 were the best from EA

When it comes to 2k I think you could have so many year in that list but none better than 2k15
Youtube - mp3 Basketball Gaming
mp3

Postby zzcoolj21 on Sat May 09, 2015 8:44 am

I feel College Hoops 2K8 is better than NBA 2K11...
zzcoolj21
20% on Good release machine, The NLSC's Jr Smith

Return to Other Basketball Games