Odd question

Talk about any and all other basketball video games including NBA Jam, NBA Street, college basketball games, and more. General basketball video game discussion and comparison topics are also welcome here.

Odd question

Postby shadowking42 on Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:13 pm

Hey all,

My name is Scott and I've been coming to the NLSC since the late 90's. I absolutely loved Live 2000, and all of the add-ons and updates that were provided for it. Heck, I probably still have many long since unavailable Live 2000 files if you guys needed them for archival purposes.

Now this is a strange question and after reading the forum rules, I hope this doesn't qualify as an illegal request of files. That's not really what I'm gunning for. I've been playing a lot of Strat-O-Matic basketball (http://www.strat-o-matic.com/ which you can purchase past NBA teams dating back to the 60's and 70's all the way up to the present and have them duke it out with any other team for supremacy.

Anyways, the in-game "engine" allows you to use custom images for players, courts, etc. And since I'm an especially big fan of 90's NBA, I got the idea to use portraits from my copies of NBA Live for the PC (I have 96-2001 and 2003). Works pretty well too thanks to the great tools provided here. My question is if it's possible to track down any "custom" portrait files from some of the other games (even for older 70's or 80's patches).

Or if there is a good repository (other than Google Image) for portrait-style pictures of players in general? I've got numerous old Sporting News NBA Registers which have black and white versions that I could scan, but would rather go for color if possible. Plus it's kind of sad that I had to use a screen-capture from the original NBA Jam just to get a Scott Skiles picture. lol

Not sure which forum this should go on since it's technically a request for another game, but also relating to Live. This is the sort of thing I'm doing with Strat-O-Matic though: running random tourneys on my own and posting them online. Such as here http://agw.freeservers.com/SOM1/99IND-93SEA-RD1.htm

So I'm honestly not expecting that anyone will be able to help with this, but at the very least after all these years, I figured the good folks here at the NLSC might be able to steer me in the right direction. Thanks much!
shadowking42

Re: Odd question

Postby Andrew on Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:54 pm

You might want to grab the latest version of the NBA Live PC Project for NBA Live 06 and try extracting some of the included portrait files, which include several legends (notably some that weren't originally in the game and are added by the project).

If you've got some of those old files, we'd certainly love to have them uploaded. Our new Downloads section allows user uploads so by all means please share what you've got. :)
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby JaoSming on Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:25 am

you could also download this - 700+ Missing Legends & Rookie Portraits

and use this to extract the player's textures included - NBA2KX Mod Tool (2K12 Supported)
Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Postby Andrew on Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:03 am

Ah yes, probably the better way to go.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby shadowking42 on Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:35 pm

Thanks so much Andrew and JaosMing!

I was able to extract the portraits and pull them up in the 2KX Mod Tool. Brought back memories of using FshEd, EAZip, etc. for the old Live games. :D Ahhhhh the good old days!

One problem I ran into though is that the pictures inside the Mod Tool don't have an associated player name with them, but rather just a string of numbers. I can identify an almost obscene amount of NBA players past and present just from looking at their picture but there's still quite a few that I don't know off hand. Am I doing something wrong or is that just the nature of the program? I didn't see any corresponding Excel sheets to use as a guide for comparison. Thanks for any advice on this if applicable.

It's already done me a world of good though. I already got a much better Mark Eaton pic for example. lol

Also I'll take a look on my old computer and see what files I still have for Live 2000. I'm sure I still have a bunch of items but can't honestly remember if I cleaned them out once a Windows XP Service Pack years ago caused me to not be able to play Live 2000 anymore.

Thanks again! Keep up the great work on the site. Great to see NLSC alive and well after all this time.

Scott
shadowking42

Postby JaoSming on Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:49 pm

crap, I forgot about that numbers thing

ok, i dont know if you have the portraits.iff or portraits_hi.iff, but use the corresponding guide below
viewtopic.php?p=1432583#p1432583
viewtopic.php?p=1442357#p1442357

and then take those numbers, and get the player through this
viewtopic.php?f=144&t=82626

you might want to contact the patch maker if he has a list or not, sorry for the confusion
Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Postby Andrew on Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:53 pm

You're welcome, appreciate any old files you can dig up. :)
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby shadowking42 on Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:26 pm

Jaos,

That actually helps out quite a bit. You've definitely done more than enough to help with this project. I really appreciate it. :)

And Andrew, I will definitely check my old computer out next week to see what I have. Thanks again. Heck, now I might have to get 2k12 for my PC so I can come back to the community more regularly. lol Take care!

Scott
shadowking42

Postby Andrew on Sat Feb 11, 2012 3:57 pm

Sounds good. Did you post in the old Forum at all (the old black and blue Discus board)?
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby shadowking42 on Sun Feb 12, 2012 4:15 am

Andrew, I did post occasionally on the old forum. Not sure what my username would have been back then though. lol I wasn't any good at creating cyberfaces and stuff though with the in-game tool in Live 2000, I tried quite a few. So my contributions were pretty much limited to questions and kudos for the folks who were good at making stuff.
shadowking42

Postby Andrew on Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:11 pm

Fair enough. I was just wondering as it's always cool to see folks from the original boards stop in again. :)
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Return to Other Basketball Games