NCAA College Hoops 2K12

Talk about any and all other basketball video games including NBA Jam, NBA Street, college basketball games, and more. General basketball video game discussion and comparison topics are also welcome here.

NCAA College Hoops 2K12

Postby Sideshow Bob on Sun Oct 02, 2011 1:38 pm

Post the things you would like to see if NCAA CH2K12 was made for console.

Custom Conferences: I would really like to see now have the ability to not only swap teams, but also add and subtract schools to our liking. I believe they should take this feature over-the-top for next year and the years down the road. Let's start by making it possible to have more than 120 schools in dynasty to account for those new schools joining the D-1A ranks (Texas St. UMass, UTSA, etc...Hopefully TeamBuilder will be significantly upgraded). This will allow users to make realistic WAC and Sun Belt conferences, and even add possible teams like Villanova to the Big East 4 or 5 years into dynasty.

Neutral Site Games: The bands, the build up and the special broadcast..and why stop there? How about recreating Duke/St Johns in Madison Square Garden. This would not only be incredbly exciting, but it could directly impact your "National Exposure" rating for the better if you have the cojanes to challenge the big boys or accept other schools invites to play.

Presentation: To me, there is almost nothing more important to dynasty than presentation. It's truly something that can keep me coming back like NCAA 2K8 did, or bore me to the point I shut off the game... much like previous installations on next gen(NCAA Basketball 10).

Many would love to see the return of the magazine with players and coaches pictures along with short little captions at the center of the interface. It doesn't have to be flashy, and obviously it would just need to switch from Athlon to ESPN or CBS. If there's one thing I want back in presentation wise, its this. Bringing back the trio and giving them a graphical update, along with Burke, Bilas, Raftery would put Dynasty over the top. It could be as simple as a little pre-game analysis in front of the court (if game of the week) with crazy fans holding signs... to an entire preview show (think 2K8) that takes place at the national game of the week location. Must have for future versions of NCAA! Something that added a lot of immersion to the feel of a dynasty game was the live score ticker at the bottom of the screen. During time-outs, penalties, scores, or big plays this simple element popped up and let me see if my rival was loosing and how the top schools were fairing. This is just on of those small things that add a lot to the feel of the game.

Finally, in regards to presentation, are stat overlays. There just doesn't seem to be enough of these after playing numerous games over the last week. In comparison to an ESPN or CBS broadcast, its a little weak when you see overlays almost every couple of plays. It would be terrific if they also season stats and comparative stats to both the team you are playing/players and the rest of the NCAA. It kept me wanting give the ball to "my guy" and boost him up through the ranks of the NCAA stat leaders. Much like NCAA Basketball 10.

Violations: Now the NCAA may nix this idea, but its been such a hot bottom issue of late it seems like a no-brainer addition that should be represented in a next NCAA CH game. It could be simple, effecting scholarships and academic prestige depending on the suspensions or lack of action you decide to take. It would make recruiting those great athletes who have a bad "character grade" a real risk.

Equipment:
- All Nike ProCombat accessories
- Nike Elite Team color socks Image Image
- Secondary color for all equipment & shoes
- Manufacturer logo on all equipment
- Ankle braces
- New Jersey fit & Player Model
- New sock heights
- Updated Arm Sleeves & Knee Pads Image

Gameplay: I honestly believe that 2ksports could make this game rather cheaply by just tuning the NBA engine a little. The NBA engine now is really good with just a few minor flaws and would translate perfectly to the college game making this game practical for 2k to make.

A my player that could be integrated with NBA 2k12 would be so much fun.
☆☆
Sideshow Bob
Contributor

Re: NCAA College Hoops 2K12

Postby JaoSming on Sun Oct 02, 2011 11:21 pm

I'd just like it to exist.....idc if they just updated 2K8.

Nice write up though.
Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Postby MJALLDAY on Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:25 am

I would love to see classic teams like the 82 tar heels, 79 Michigan state, 79 Indiana state, the fab 5, etc. 2k already holds the rights to Magic, Bird, Worthy, Perkins, Jordan, Bird and almost every other basketball legend. They could easily make it happen.
MJALLDAY

Postby The X on Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:04 pm

JaoSming wrote:I'd just like it to exist.....idc if they just updated 2K8.

Nice write up though.

Co-sign
The X
is
NLSC Team Member

Postby JaoSming on Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:45 pm

Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Postby Sideshow Bob on Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:23 am

I got an idea for the NCAA CH 2K12 pc mod!!!
In "My Player" mode the "Rookie Showcase" can be modded into the "Jordan Brand Classic".(For those who don't know what it is)

Image Image

Image Image

If the patchers could find out some way to edit the rookie class and name them to real prospects it'll be the cool feature..
☆☆
Sideshow Bob
Contributor

Postby benji on Fri Oct 14, 2011 2:01 pm

#LilB wrote:I honestly believe that 2ksports could make this game rather cheaply by just tuning the NBA engine a little. The NBA engine now is really good with just a few minor flaws and would translate perfectly to the college game making this game practical for 2k to make.

Well, except for that whole EA having the exclusive NCAA license thing.
benji

Postby The X on Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:42 pm

I wish there was a college bball title this year. With lockout, surely they could've got a few more sales. Then again, it probably still wouldn't be enough to make it viable.
The X
is
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Sat Nov 12, 2011 12:51 am

Especially without an international release.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Sideshow Bob on Sat Nov 12, 2011 2:59 am

The X wrote:I wish there was a college bball title this year. With lockout, surely they could've got a few more sales.

Thats more of a reason to make one.
☆☆
Sideshow Bob
Contributor

Postby Andrew on Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:01 am

They still need to sort out the situation with international licensing rights for the NCAA though. Unless they make a PC version or you've got a PS3, importing from the States isn't feasible. As a 360 user, I'd be out of luck barring a PC release.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Behindshadows on Mon Nov 21, 2011 2:34 pm

Is that my screenshot in the top of the post :)

I would like to see my player in a NCAA game, coming straight out of High School....not really into Classic teams but would love to play different tournaments based off conferences...

And the ability to change the conferences like NCAA Football 12..

benji wrote:
#LilB wrote:I honestly believe that 2ksports could make this game rather cheaply by just tuning the NBA engine a little. The NBA engine now is really good with just a few minor flaws and would translate perfectly to the college game making this game practical for 2k to make.

Well, except for that whole EA having the exclusive NCAA license thing.

EA doesn't have a NCAA Basketball license...2k can make a game anytime they want....They don't want to pay to do so...because the College series isn't profitable to them...
Live Life Don't Let Life Live You!
Behindshadows

Postby Sideshow Bob on Mon Nov 21, 2011 4:53 pm

A write on a what would be of NCAA College Hoops 2K12.
College Hoops 2K12 -- A Mock Review

Submitted on: 11/18/2011 by Thomas Surovy
Like the NFL 2K series and the MVP Baseball series from EA Sports, the College Hoops series is a defunct series that sports gamers have been missing since the legendary College Hoops 2K8. With all of the improvements to NBA 2K since CH 2K8’s release in 2007, fans can only envision what the team at 2K could do with the series now. What if 2K was releasing College Hoops 2K12? Here’s what the OS review might look like.

One Shining Moment Mode

The biggest addition to College Hoops 2K12 is the One Shining Moment mode in which gamers can reenact some of the greatest games in NCAA history. As added bonus, 2K was able to add the real likenesses of the heroes of March Madness’ past (as long as they've left the university), along with their signature shots. By winning these games, you unlock the teams for use in exhibition games and Season mode (you aren’t able to use the all-time teams in Legacy mode). Here’s a list of the 16 games in One Shining Moment:

1966 Texas Western v. Kentucky – “Glory Road”
1974 N.C. State v. UCLA – "End of an Era"
1976 Indiana v. Michigan – "Undefeated"
1979 Michigan State v. Indiana State – "Birth of a Rivalry"
1982 North Carolina v. Georgetown – "His Airness"
1983 N.C. State v. Houston – "Jimmy V."
1985 Villanova v. Georgetown – "The Underdog"
1987 Indiana v. Syracuse – "Knight's Last Dance"
1988 Kansas v. Oklahoma – "Danny and the Miracles"
1989 Michigan v. Seton Hall – "Rice Reaches New Heights"
1990 Loyola Marymount v. UNLV – "Cinderella Falls"
1992 Duke v. Kentucky – "The Shot"
1993 North Carolina v. Michigan – "The Timeout"
2003 Syracuse v. Kansas – "Melo: The Freshman Phenom"
2006 George Mason v. Connecticut – "Start of the Mid-Major"
2010 Duke v. Butler – "David vs. Goliath"

One Shining Moment gives players the option to play with rules in effect at the time (no 3-point shot, longer shot clock, etc.) or play the game with today’s rules. However, in order to unlock the teams you need to play with era-appropriate rules. The commentary of Jim Nantz and Clark Kellogg also shines in this mode, as their conversations revolves around the impact of the game and what the participants would go on to achieve later in their careers.

One Shining Moment is definitely the highlight of College Hoops 2K12. The likenesses of the players and the superb commentary really immerse the player in the mode. The ability to change the rules adds to the lasting appeal of the mode e.g., Bird’s Sycamores possibly could have beaten Magic’s Spartans if Larry had the 3-pointer in his arsenal. Much like NBA 2K12’s Greatest, One Shining Moment adds an exciting dimension to the college hoops basketball scene.

My Athlete Mode

My Athlete is the equivalent of NBA 2K12’s My Player mode, a mode that was not available in College Hoops 2K8. You create a high school player who participates in a season of the Amateur Basketball League. Based on your performance in that league and in interviews with coaches who come to visit you, you’ll get scholarship offers from different schools. If you’re good enough, you’ll be invited to participate in the McDonald’s All-American game.

Once on campus, you perform drills in order to improve your player and you can earn additional points through meeting certain in-game goals for both your player and your team. Reach a certain level at the end of one of your seasons (the earlier in your career, the higher the threshold), and you can declare yourself for the draft. From there, you can transfer your athlete to the “My Player” mode in NBA 2K12.

The My Athlete mode adds a different element to the game and can be quite a challenge, especially if you are trying to go pro early. The thresholds needed to reach the NBA are quite high, so you’ll need to put in a lot of work to reach them. This adds to the length of the mode since it would be fairly short if you were able to declare for the draft after only one college season every time. My Athlete doesn’t offer the same extracurricular activities like My Player’s endorsements, free agency, etc., but the mode still provides enough fun and challenge for the gamer who dreams of being a star in the Big Dance.

Online Legacy

One of College Hoops 2K8’s most revered modes was the Legacy mode, which offered unparalleled depth for recruiting. College Hoops 2K12 takes that mode one step further by bringing it online. You can compete with up to 12 others in an online legacy. Unfortunately, you are no longer able to play the ABL games like in CH 2K8. However, much like the Online Dynasty in the NCAA series, you can do your recruiting away from your 360 or PS3, via 2K Sports Online Legacy website. This mode is great if your wife has your gaming TV occupied with an episode of Toddler and Tiaras or if you’re killing time at work because you can hop onto the site and scout your recruits and steal away your opponents’.

Online Legacy has one major drawback in that you are only able to play as schools from one conference, which makes it difficult for those who don’t get the marquee programs in the conference and get left out of the fun of March Madness (Hello, Big East!).

Online Legacy allows players to use custom rosters as long as every player is using the same set, so your rosters can be filled with real names if your league agrees to them. Fans of the Legacy mode from College Hoops' past will enjoy the ability to compete with their friends to see who can build the best program without the help of shady boosters.

Gameplay

Post-patch College Hoops 2K8 offered some of the most realistic gameplay around, and 2K12 hasn’t messed with that formula. The improvements in gameplay from College Hoops 2K8 to 2K12 are very similar to what improvements players saw in the NBA 2K series. The floor spacing is much better and the new play calling system is much more intuitive and effective. Plenty of new animations have been added, especially shot animations. The game includes all of the sliders that helped make its predecessor such a fan favorite because they allow gamers to tailor the gameplay to their liking.

Presentation

The graphics in 2K12 have taken a huge step up in four years. The detail in every school’s uniform is outstanding, whereas in 2K8 one might have a tough time discerning Michigan State from Cleveland State, other than the word “Michigan.” The graphics for the crowd and surrounding environment, including cheer teams and mascots, have also taken a huge step up.

As I mentioned earlier, the commentary from Nantz and Kellogg is much deeper in One Shining Moment mode, but it is still impressive in other modes, despite the fact that they can’t comment on individual players. The overall presentation is also strengthened with the weekly “Around the NCAA” show in which Greg Gumbel and Seth Davis break down the week’s action. The show includes highlights from the top performers and games of the week and culminates in a “Selection Sunday” show in which the teams making the NCAA tournament are revealed. I don’t want to give anything away, but it’s pretty cool when your team’s name is called.

Final Thoughts

College Hoops 2K12 is the game that college hoop fans have been waiting for since the last edition four years ago. The One Shining Moment mode will appeal to both diehard and casual fans who want to reenact some of their favorite match ups and then see how today’s teams would hold up against these all-time greats. Both the online and offline Legacy modes are very deep and give College Hoops 2K12 plenty of lasting appeal. It’s been a long wait since the last edition of the College Hoops series, but all sports gaming fans should be happy that the series has returned.

College Hoops 2K12 is a must-own for basketball gamers.
☆☆
Sideshow Bob
Contributor

Postby The X on Tue Nov 22, 2011 6:59 am

That article is from OS, so probably should add a link to original source for reference :wink:
The X
is
NLSC Team Member

Postby Sideshow Bob on Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:54 am

The X wrote:That article is from OS, so probably should add a link to original source for reference :wink:

Yeah i know..
☆☆
Sideshow Bob
Contributor

Return to Other Basketball Games