Majesco to release NBA game in 2012

Talk about any and all other basketball video games including NBA Jam, NBA Street, college basketball games, and more. General basketball video game discussion and comparison topics are also welcome here.

Majesco to release NBA game in 2012

Postby Andrew on Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:28 pm

Announcement on their official website.

Majesco Entertainment Company (NASDAQ: COOL), an innovative provider of video games for the mass market, today announced that it has teamed with the National Basketball Association (NBA) to begin development of an original video game basketball franchise.

The new NBA video game, which will be unlike most traditional sports video games, is scheduled for commercial release in spring 2012. Utilizing motion-based gaming technology, the game will be a fun and casual interactive experience.

"Majesco consumers are interested in branded gameplay, and we are excited to be teaming with a global brand like the NBA, to develop a unique and fun gaming experience," said Jesse Sutton, Chief Executive Officer, Majesco.

I'm not sure it'll be a game for me and I don't see it taking too many fans away from the more established franchises, but I'm all for a few other companies being able to throw their hat into the ring and trying to find an audience.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Re: Majesco to release NBA game in 2012

Postby JaoSming on Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:35 pm

ehh, no thank you, but it will be interesting to see what they do with Kinect
Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Postby Patr1ck on Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:34 pm

What's a Majesco? Never heard of them or their consumers.
Patr1ck
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Andrew on Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:50 pm

A list of their games can be found here on their Wikipedia entry, looks like they've made a lot of DS games.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby benji on Wed Jun 08, 2011 5:47 pm

They're a publishing company that started off by making those late-life rehashes of crap. This was profitable so they said, hey, let's start publishing actual games. They saved things like Psychonauts and BloodRayne from death by bigger publisher. But this failed as costs rose with game development and the bath they took on the Advent Rising disaster.

And just when it seemed like they would go out of business.

Cooking Mama.

They exist almost entirely in the "casual" market. Fitness stuff is pretty good for them, but Mama is their cash cow.

This may tie into that fitness stuff, those backyard basketball games did gangbusters for whoever did them, and the NBA is the only major sport that has sensible licensing.
benji

Postby kevin02 on Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:02 am

Yeah... just by looking at their list of games I know I won't be interested in this game. I guess it's always good to get competition for the bigger companies though, Even if it's crappy competition.
kevin02

Postby Houndy on Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:49 am

No Thanks
Houndy
Whoa, the Mavs are ballin'

Return to Other Basketball Games