NBA Jam Xbox 360/PS3 Out Now; Impressions Here

Talk about any and all other basketball video games including NBA Jam, NBA Street, college basketball games, and more. General basketball video game discussion and comparison topics are also welcome here.

NBA Jam Xbox 360/PS3 Out Now; Impressions Here

Postby Andrew on Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:55 am

The Xbox 360 and Playstation 3 versions of NBA Jam are in North American stores now and are currently scheduled for release in Europe and Asia next week on November 26th. According to DVD Orchard, the game will be out in Australia on November 25th (and I'd say it's the same for New Zealand as well). If you're picking up the game, post your impressions here!

phpBB [video]
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: NBA Jam Xbox 360/PS3 Out Now; Impressions Here

Postby Boothy on Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:43 am

Has anyone seen a list online of all the player ratings?

I remember seeing one for the Beastie Boys and George Bush [good at dribbling, stealing] but that's about it.

[I'm in Australia and it doesn't come out here for another week].

Cheers

-ab
Boothy

Postby [Q] on Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:49 am

yeah the ESPN sportsnation team's ratings are maxed out or close to it if i remember right. they showed a quick clip of it on the show today and they were doing some crazy dunks
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Boothy on Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:57 am

What teams are people looking to use?

For me it's:
Celtics - KG and Bird
OKC - Durant and Westbrook

And as much I'm a Laker-hater, I may not be able to resist playing a few games with Magic/Kobe.
Boothy

Postby [Q] on Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:15 am

lebron/wade team is the ultimate nba jam team. speed/power/dunks for both of them. both good at steals and blocks to make up for lack of size.
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Rukawa_11 on Fri Nov 19, 2010 6:57 am

Hmmm i will like to play with Rodman-Rose, Paul-West and Durant-Westbrook

I hope to get this more soon possible (Y)
Rukawa_11

Postby Andrew on Sat Nov 20, 2010 2:20 pm

I'll always spend a fair amount of time using the Bulls in any NBA game, but I'd have to agree the Heat's squad with LeBron and Wade is a great one-two punch for Jam.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Boothy on Fri Nov 26, 2010 10:32 am

So I guess I'll be the first to post actual impressions: It's NBA Jam, in HD, with contemporary players. It's fun, but nothing new really.

It's a party game pretty much. Single player is boring because the gameplay is pretty shallow and the CPU opponents always become awesome just in time to make every single game close [or go into OT].

They've tried to convert the Wii dunking mechanic to the Xbox by letting you use the analogue sticks [up to jump, down to finish] but it doesn't work. Why would you wiggle a big ass stick around when you can just press a button?

One small note, if you want to enter cheat codes to unlock the Beastie Boys, etc. You have to do it on the 'Press Start' screen, not the main menu, as many sites suggest [it took me a while to figure this out].

Haven't tried online yet.
Boothy

Postby Andrew on Sat Nov 27, 2010 9:33 am

My copy hasn't arrived yet but as soon as it does, I'll be posting some impressions or a full review.

It seems a lot of people share that sentiment of single player being too repetitive and I guess that was kind of a problem with the original too, something that gets overlooked with the fog of nostalgia. It was a problem at times in NBA Street as well but I still enjoyed that and loved NBA Jam back in the day, so I'm hoping that fond memories and the Remix Tour will keep things enjoyable for me.

I've heard about the Wii-style mechanic but I think I'll stick with the face button controls. I'll give the right stick controls a shot just to see what they're like but some games are just better suited to using face buttons.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby The X on Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:58 pm

I went into EB on Thursday, looked at it, thought about it, $79.95 price tag, walked out empty handed. Maybe when it's down to $60, which given exchange rate, shipping costs & GST is a fairer price.
The X
is
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Sat Nov 27, 2010 1:37 pm

Absolutely. Shame DVD Orchard put the price up.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby The X on Sat Nov 27, 2010 1:46 pm

I think if it had of been $69.95 I probably would've bought it. Funny how $10 can make such a big difference.
The X
is
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Sat Nov 27, 2010 1:52 pm

JB Hi-Fi sometimes has new games out around that price, I think they're currently selling the Wii version for around $69.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby The X on Sun Nov 28, 2010 8:22 am

Sadly dragon hasn't got his free copy from EA yet as would've been good to give it a bit of a play last night.
The X
is
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Sun Nov 28, 2010 11:24 am

That's what I'm waiting for, too.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Andrew on Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:07 pm

My copy arrived today, so I'll have some impressions and/or a full review out soon.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Andrew on Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:37 pm

I'd like to play online and check out a bit more in the Remix Tour before I write up my full review, but so far I've quite enjoyed it. It does get a bit repetitive, much like NBA Street and indeed the original NBA Jam games could do at times (I think that's just the way with arcade-style basketball games, if not all arcade sports games) but going for the Jam Challenges is a way of keeping things interesting and obviously worthwhile doing if you plan on unlocking everything.

I've been sticking to the face buttons as far as the controls are concerned, though sometimes I'll use the stick for crossovers out of habit. For shooting though, I'd much rather use a button. I can see what they were going for and it's a nice idea and all, but it's unnecessary. I'm glad we don't have to use those controls if we don't want to.

Love the retro feel of it, it's replay value is going to be online (once they sort out the issues) or local multiplayer but it feels like there's enough to play through single player and unlock stuff. I'll go into more depth in my full review but for now I'll say it's a fun and quite faithful recreation/reboot of the series. I'm guessing they won't do an annual release but since they've got the license, it's something to build upon should they make more.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Return to Other Basketball Games