NBA JAM: Legends On Fire Edition

Talk about any and all other basketball video games including NBA Jam, NBA Street, college basketball games, and more. General basketball video game discussion and comparison topics are also welcome here.

Re: NBA JAM: Legends On Fire Edition

Postby johnz1 on Sat Apr 22, 2023 1:25 am

Ndesent wrote:This is AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!! I can't wait to get this going. I am also here wanting to get this installed on my jailbroken PS3. If anyone has it going please post instructions. Thank you. And again amazing work and I can't wait to get this working

If you have trouble getting it working on a jailbroken PS3, just hang in there. v1.1 will be out soon. It's easier to install and has been tested on PS3 by me and someone else.
johnz1

Postby johnz1 on Sat Apr 22, 2023 1:26 am

YoBigWill94 wrote:are there going to be any modding tuts?

Absolutely. This is in progress. It's an unfortunately tall task to document everything, but it's happening.
johnz1

Postby stran0010 on Mon May 01, 2023 5:18 pm

johnz1 wrote:
Ndesent wrote:This is AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!! I can't wait to get this going. I am also here wanting to get this installed on my jailbroken PS3. If anyone has it going please post instructions. Thank you. And again amazing work and I can't wait to get this working

If you have trouble getting it working on a jailbroken PS3, just hang in there. v1.1 will be out soon. It's easier to install and has been tested on PS3 by me and someone else.

Joined to say thanks so much. I have it working on my computer but am waiting for instructions on how to install on a jailbroken PS3!
stran0010

Postby johnz1 on Thu May 04, 2023 7:12 am

NBA JAM: Legends On Fire Edition v1.1 was just released. New PKG installation method, corrected arena media table colors, player ratings changes, and more. See the first post in this thread for the full readme and download link
johnz1

Postby Andrew on Thu May 04, 2023 8:58 am

Awesome news!
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby Dee4Three on Sun May 07, 2023 1:17 am

A few weeks back, we had johnz1 on the NLSC podcast. It was a great interview, I recommend tuning in to learn more about him and all the great things he is doing with NBA Jam On Fire Edition.

phpBB [video]
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Check out my YouTube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvHJXrqit8Dc6HBY5P6EmAA

Follow me on Twitter

https://twitter.com/Dee4Three84
Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby Dee4Three on Mon May 08, 2023 12:07 am

phpBB [video]
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Mon May 08, 2023 1:30 pm

The duo of Barkley and KJ is no joke! We've had some epic showdowns with them thus far, using the early 90s Bulls.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby collegeslam556 on Tue May 09, 2023 3:07 am

This mod is Amazing!!!! I can not wait until you release a modding guide for the game so I can get started recreating College Slam!
collegeslam556

Postby stran0010 on Sat May 13, 2023 10:57 am

johnz1 wrote:NBA JAM: Legends On Fire Edition v1.1 was just released. New PKG installation method, corrected arena media table colors, player ratings changes, and more. See the first post in this thread for the full readme and download link

Was able to get your game working on a CFW PS3. Thank you!
stran0010

Postby KobeSkywalker on Sun May 14, 2023 4:15 am

I was just checking out 1.1 and saw two weird issues:

1. The music stops playing after you Press Start at the beginning. It doesn't pick up again at all. Not at the team select, options, or start of a game.

2. I played Shaq and Kobe Lakers vs. Zo and Larry Hornets. 3 of the guys had their names and numbers blanked out on the jerseys. Only Larry Johnson didn't (and he had Zo's 33, not his no. 2).

I don't see these issues of v1.0 so I wasn't sure what happened with v1.1. Just sharing some issues I noticed!
KobeSkywalker

Postby KobeSkywalker on Sun May 14, 2023 4:26 am

Just a quick follow up. So I deleted the 1.0 and 1.1 installs on my RPCS3 emulator and reinstalled the 1.1 via your helpful instructions. The player name and number issue got cleared up but the music still doesn't return.

With that said, the special effects are no longer cutting in and out as the 1.0 version had with certain graphics settings (to keep the game running smoother). So now it's just about figuring out how to get the music back up and running :)
KobeSkywalker

Postby johnz1 on Tue May 16, 2023 1:29 am

KobeSkywalker wrote:1. The music stops playing after you Press Start at the beginning. It doesn't pick up again at all. Not at the team select, options, or start of a game.

Hmm I've never seen (heard) this. No audio changes were made in this mod, so I doubt it's anything I changed. I imagine this is an emulator problem. Are you running the latest version of RPCS3? If so, I'd try changing the audio engine (Settings -> Audio -> Audio Out)

KobeSkywalker wrote:2. I played Shaq and Kobe Lakers vs. Zo and Larry Hornets. 3 of the guys had their names and numbers blanked out on the jerseys. Only Larry Johnson didn't (and he had Zo's 33, not his no. 2).

Two issues here. Both are covered in the readme:

Code: Select all
The first time you play a game, it may be slow and some textures may be missing because the emulator needs to build the shader cache.  I recommend you start a game, let it run for about one minute, then restart RPCS3.

Code: Select all
Some stock teams don't have uniform lettering.  In order to use all 67 teams, the new team's nickname and the number of the team's best player has been added to the texture of the team's uniforms.
johnz1

Postby KobeSkywalker on Tue May 16, 2023 3:48 am

johnz1 wrote: Hmm I've never seen (heard) this. No audio changes were made in this mod, so I doubt it's anything I changed. I imagine this is an emulator problem. Are you running the latest version of RPCS3? If so, I'd try changing the audio engine (Settings -> Audio -> Audio Out)

I updated to the latest RPCS3 (15002) but that didn't change anything.

The default Audio Out option (was working find for v1.0) is is Cubeb. I changed to FAudio, saved, and rebooted the game but the same music cut off issue persisted. In fact, the sound effects of switching options got a bit choppy (worse) so I just changed it back to Cubeb.

This is so odd, right? The rest of the game plays great! And honestly the gameplay is even smoother in v1.1! If anyone has any ideas of fixes for this music cut off issue please let me know. Perhaps there are some other settings I need to toy with.
KobeSkywalker

Postby johnz1 on Tue May 16, 2023 3:55 am

KobeSkywalker wrote:This is so odd, right? The rest of the game plays great!

Yeah, it really is. Could you try clearing your save game files/folders? They're in 'dev_hdd0\home\00000001\savedata'
johnz1

Postby KobeSkywalker on Tue May 16, 2023 4:28 am

Is that just in the 1.0 folder? Because the 1.1 folder just has the pkg files.

Also I don't see a \savedata folder in 1.0. After the 00000001 folder I see \exdata and within that just these two files:

UP0006-NPUB01043_00-NBAJAMNA00000001.edat
UP0006-NPUB30558_00-NBAJAMNA00000001.edat
KobeSkywalker

Postby KobeSkywalker on Tue May 16, 2023 4:34 am

FIXED IT!!! This is weird as hell but I had some other program crash (work related) and just restarted my laptop. When I rebooted RPCS3 the music came back!! I don't get it but hey, it worked!! Thanks for your endless patience, friend!
KobeSkywalker

Postby CelticsBird33 on Sun May 21, 2023 2:31 am

This mod, johnz1, is my favorite game of all time. My 1993 Suns are amazing. Chuck is a beast! I'd like to see his three point raiting be a 5 or 6. He was much better shooter than a Garnett or Malone. I guess, that's what the modding tutorial will be for. lol Thanks!
CelticsBird33

Postby johnz1 on Tue May 23, 2023 6:51 am

CelticsBird33 wrote:This mod, johnz1, is my favorite game of all time.

Thanks! I love to hear how much people enjoy this game.

CelticsBird33 wrote:My 1993 Suns are amazing. Chuck is a beast! I'd like to see his three point raiting be a 5 or 6.

I think I gave him a 4 3PT rating because he's a historically bad 3 point shooter (career 26.6% on 1.9 attempts per game). He was a little better on the Suns (30%), but still pretty atrocious. For a while I had him as a 5 3PT. I'll definitely consider it for the next update.

CelticsBird33 wrote:He was much better shooter than a Garnett or Malone.

A better range shooter (i.e. long 2's and mid-range) than them? That's a tough sell for me.
johnz1

Postby CelticsBird33 on Tue May 23, 2023 3:00 pm

You might need to go back, and watch some Suns Barkley footage. lol It's just like how you said J.J. Reddick's 3pt attribute is lower because he wasn't as great of an all around player. Suns Chuck was an all time great player/scorer, so his 3pt rating should be a 6 no matter the percentages. Go back and watch the 1994 playoffs Game 3 Suns/Warriors, and if you still disagree, I'll agree to disagree. lol I like Karl Malone, but he's like Manute Bol compared to Suns Chuck.
CelticsBird33

Postby CelticsBird33 on Tue May 23, 2023 3:21 pm

Last edited by CelticsBird33 on Wed Oct 18, 2023 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
CelticsBird33

Postby CelticsBird33 on Wed May 24, 2023 9:03 am

To put things in better perspective by numbers...

Career three point field goals/games played:

Karl Malone: 85/1,476
Kevin Garnett: 174/1,462
The Chuckster: 538/1,073

Sold?? I should hope so. lol
CelticsBird33

Postby johnz1 on Wed May 24, 2023 10:02 am

I really don't understand how that could be convincing. It's odd to me that the response to his horrible efficiency (career 26.6%) is to give cumulative numbers. If the point isn't clear with Barkley, let's take Antoine Walker as an example. 1386 career three pointers made. Was he a good 3 point shooter? Not really. Career 32.5% three point shooting. He shot below league average nearly every year of his career. He was a chucker from deep (pun intended).

As stated in the readme (which I truly appreciate that you've read, as indicated by your Redick comment), this is how I've determined 3PT ratings:

Because this game has players from multiple eras, consider the 3PT rating to be a reflection of generally how good of a shooter someone was, not necessarily from 3 point range. For example, Michael Jordan was not a great 3 point shooter (career 32.7%) but he was a great shooter overall and a great player, so his 3PT is above average.

The bottom line for me is that Barkley is already really great in the game, and he's gonna get even better when he's a 5 3PT in the next version. I think changing him to 6 3PT would make him too good, and would be a little silly, considering how inefficient of a 3 point shooter he was.
johnz1

Postby Dee4Three on Wed May 24, 2023 10:36 am

I personally agree with the 5 on three for Barkley, as it means he can hit them every now and again but you won't be able to lean on it heavily to win games.

He could hit them, took more than Larry Bird in his career, and could get hot at times, but it clearly wasn't where he was best. He should obviously be higher than the likes of Karl Malone, but you shouldn't be able to win games by firing away from beyond the arc with him.

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby CelticsBird33 on Wed May 24, 2023 10:53 am

I agree with both of you guys. I threw a 6 out there hoping to get a 5. lol
And again, johnz1, thank you and everyone else involved on these projects. I can't wait for any future versions, whatever they may be. :)
CelticsBird33

PreviousNext

Return to Other Basketball Games