(PC) 2K14 last-gen and 2K19

Talk about any and all other basketball video games including NBA Jam, NBA Street, college basketball games, and more. General basketball video game discussion and comparison topics are also welcome here.

(PC) 2K14 last-gen and 2K19

Postby tinpanalley on Fri May 17, 2019 12:05 am

(Feel free to move this is it's in the wrong place, I didn't know if either the 2K14 or2K19 was right, so I put this here)

I've noticed there are a lot of people who really get behind 2K14 on PC and that it has a fantastic modding community. 2K19 is similar in what's out there in mods considering it hasn't been around as long.

However, I noticed that there is also a general opinion online that 2K14 is far far better than 2K19. Are people referring to the current gen 2K14 when they say that, or to the last gen version? Because having taken the time to try both, I don't see how anyone could prefer 2K14 on PC (last gen) to 2K19. I'm not even someone who cares about graphics that much, most sports games I play are from 10-15 years ago with roster updates. But it still confuses me. However, I can understand personal preference and I certainly understand the idea that gameplay is more important than graphics because with the exception of soccer, every sports game I play is at least 9 years old.

So I'm wondering if I'm missing something. I used to play NBA Live on PC about 20 years ago on a regular basis, and then I tuned out of basketball for a few years so the development of the basketball video game was something I stopped paying attention to. Now, important to mention that I only play seasons in offline mode. I never, ever use online features of any kind in any sports game. I'm saying that because I'm finding increasingly that the only comments online these days about sports games are about the online experience. You have to keep reading to realise most people never play offline and that their complaints are only about the online experience. Also reviews don't spend enough time at all talking about the gameplay offline. So, what are those things in the last-gen PC version of 2K14 that could be considered so much better than 2K19? And what is it about 2K19 that is so awful? I'm asking about gameplay and features because obviously graphics are subjective.

Thanks for any opinions!
tinpanalley

Re: (PC) 2K14 last-gen and 2K19

Postby Dee4Three on Sat May 18, 2019 1:09 pm

If you are looking on Twitter or Facebook, and people are saying that 2K14 was so much better (or on YT), they are mostly talking about the console version, as that's the vast majority of the sports video gaming base.

However, I am one who far prefers the gameplay of 2K14 for PC over 2K19. It has far better foot planting and player movement in general. It doesn't have the terrible and unrealistic speed breaks, the skating all over the floor, etc. That is a deal breaker for me with 2K19, as player movement is so important in a sports game.

You have a lot of people on NLSC who also prefer 2K14 on PC over this gens 2Ks, so they stick with them.
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Check out my YouTube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvHJXrqit8Dc6HBY5P6EmAA

Follow me on Twitter

https://twitter.com/Dee4Three84
Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Sat May 18, 2019 1:33 pm

Yeah, it definitely depends who you ask. As Dee noted, both opinions have been expressed by different groups. It'd be up to the individual to clarify, but Dee's outlined the most common division in those opinions.

Comparing the current gen NBA 2K14 (i.e. PS4/X1) to NBA 2K19, I think there's an argument in terms of graphics and player detail, but as far as game modes are concerned, it's NBA 2K19 all the way. Gameplay's an interesting one. 2K14 has less skating, but I also feel like the movement is a bit exaggerated. Something doesn't feel quite right there. I've had a lot more fun with NBA 2K19, though that also requires accepting a few shortcomings and legacy issues.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby tinpanalley on Thu May 30, 2019 2:21 am

Sorry guys, I just noticed you had replied to this. I didn't seem to be getting notifications for this. Thanks for the feedback. I'm not understanding the "sliding" issue. Can you elaborate? If I've seen any kind of sliding at all it's how turns aren't weighted or based on friction with the floor in 2K14 (PC). A guy will just turn on the spot like his feet are hoverboards. But you're talking maybe about a glide that occurs when players go into a canned animation in a layup or something, is that it?

As far as speed breaks, geez I wish in 2K19 that there was any speed at ALL to the players. To me it feels like each player is a T-Rex running through molasses (on default sliders, of course, haven't toyed with that much yet). And I just don't get still the idea that 2K14PC could look better and have better lighting than 2K19PC. Perhaps there's a personal bias here, I'm a filmmaker and have been doing my own lighting for about 20 years for various projects and know about capturing light in a controlled environment like a stadium, the kinds of lights used, their colour temperatures, the exposure and lens apertures used and what kind of image that would capture and 2K19 is as close to accurate as you're going to get in a simulation of those real life stadiums. Perhaps people are fixated on what TV looks like? I just don't get it. But that's just me.

Dee4Three wrote:...people are saying that 2K14 was so much better (or on YT), they are mostly talking about the console version, as that's the vast majority of the sports video gaming base.
Well, not so much "console" but you mean PS4/XBONE, right? Because the PC "last gen" version is available on console as well, 360/PS3.

I think 2K14 plays an awesome game of basketball, don't get me wrong, and I actually have another post I wanna make asking about PC 2K games from the last gen era, but the absoluteness of the assertion that on nothing more than the graphics 2K14 on PC outshines 2K19 on PC is mind boggling to me. I guess there's always that one weirdo that doesn't get it, and I guess this time it's me. :mrgreen: . (I also play nothing but offline, but we're talking about visuals here)
tinpanalley

Postby Andrew on Thu May 30, 2019 2:43 am

There are times when players will slide along (as if on ice) and then snap into place. It's quite prominent when a ballhandler is bringing the ball up the court; they'll be running normally, then suddenly glide along and suddenly pop to where they need to be.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby tinpanalley on Thu May 30, 2019 2:51 am

Andrew wrote:There are times when players will slide along (as if on ice) and then snap into place. It's quite prominent when a ballhandler is bringing the ball up the court; they'll be running normally, then suddenly glide along and suddenly pop to where they need to be.

Right, ok. I find I can't get them to actually pop where I need them to at all in 2K19 50-60% of the time. Like the gentlest move on my control stick makes them go into a canned spin or foot setting animation and end up elsewhere. Then I have to run in a circle again to try to get them to stop where I want. Meantime the shot clock is down by 9 more seconds.
tinpanalley

Postby Andrew on Thu May 30, 2019 4:23 am

That's an issue as well. NBA 2K18 introduced a new motion system, and it definitely still has a few kinks in it.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Return to Other Basketball Games