Hoop Universe (Working Title)

Talk about any and all other basketball video games including NBA Jam, NBA Street, college basketball games, and more. General basketball video game discussion and comparison topics are also welcome here.

Re: Hoop Universe (Working Title)

Postby Dr B on Sat Jun 22, 2019 1:52 am

I've been working on adding a jump shot animation and player accessories (some screens below), but took a break from that last night during the draft to start thinking about how I would try to capture a draft experience in a game. This is something that has always left me a little disappointed in video games. It seems like I'm either mindlessly skipping through one computer pick after another (since I only control 1 of 30 teams) or just trying to make trades for the #1 pick before the start of the draft. I think pre-draft research & strategy is part of makes the draft so exciting - we hear about all of these guys for a year and all of the potential trades for at least a couple months - so I'll have to find a way factor in things like work outs, setting up your draft board and establishing your trade preferences. I want to try to turn the draft into a strategy mini-game type of experience. I put together some quick mock-ups (screens also below - these are very rough prototypes) of what it might look like to allow a player to bounce back and forth between analyzing prospects and findings trades but also see that on-stage, team hat, commissioner handshake moment.

If you were to create a draft mini-game from scratch what would you want it to include/exclude?

some new arm & leg accessories

jump shot animation

draft stage idea

draft war room ideas
Dr B

Postby Dr B on Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:02 pm

New update available... Updated first post with links to downloads section.

You can now shoot in practice mode but currently every shot goes in. I'm just trying to get some of the mechanics figured out so enjoy lighting it up for now. I also added FT and 3-point contest drills and created a new style of mechanic for that. In those drills, every shot looks like it goes in but the calculations of what is considered a miss and what's a make are shown in the text.

Other smaller changes include some early work on a stadium/background image, added a 2nd league mimicking a college league with a different style of court, a new hoop design and some basic teammate animations in practice mode.

You'll notice several ongoing bugs like shoes/socks and accessories disappearing with certain animations. I just haven't created those yet. Eventually accessories for each player will be customizable.

I’ll be working on memory optimization next. I experience some slowdowns from time to time, let me know the times/situations when they happen to you. In terms of gameplay the 1-on-1 isolation mechanics are my next big project as well as just adding more artwork like the accessory animations mentioned above. If you’re interested in helping to design some fictional teams (i.e. logos, courts, jerseys or rosters) let me know!

Dr B

Postby Dr B on Sun Jan 19, 2020 4:37 pm

Just working on some art concepts for the game logo and fictional teams and wanted to share. I'll try to get these loaded into the game and post some screens soon if anybody is interested.

Possible Hoop Universe Logo

New York Imperialists Logo, Home & Away Jerseys and Court

Chicago Charge Logo, Home & Away Jerseys and Court
Dr B

Postby Andrew on Sun Jan 19, 2020 4:56 pm

I definitely like the idea of logos and branding that are inspired by/half-parodying the real teams.
NLSC Webmaster/Administrator
Release Topics: NBA Live 08 | NBA Live 07 | NBA Live 06 | NBA Live 2005 | NBA Live 2004
Story Topics: NBA 2K19 | NBA 2K13 | NBA Live 06 (Part 2) | NBA Live 06 (HOF) | NBA Live 2004 (HOF)
NLSC: Podcast | The Friday Five | Monday Tip-Off | Wayback Wednesday | 20th Anniversary of NBA Live | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube

Support The NLSC Hosting Fund: Patreon | GoFundMe

Like my work? Want to help out with the NLSC Hosting Fund? Please consider leaving a tip!
Andrew
The One Admin
Administrator

Previous

Return to Other Basketball Games