NBA JAM: Legends On Fire Edition

Talk about any and all other basketball video games including NBA Jam, NBA Street, college basketball games, and more. General basketball video game discussion and comparison topics are also welcome here.

Re: NBA JAM: Legends On Fire Edition

Postby johnz1 on Thu Mar 23, 2023 11:56 pm

KobeSkywalker wrote:One issue I've noticed so far is when you play the Road Trip mode. You can't choose which of the two players on your team you'd like to play as. It's just locked to one of them as default. johnz1, maybe you can look into how to fix this for the next release?

That's intentional. From the readme:

Q: Why can't I change my player in the historical scenario Road Trip?
A: Every matchup in this mode features the players who either played the most or played the best in the series (as determined by box plus/minus or "Game Score"). The specific players in the game is part of each "scenario". Consider this part of the challenge.
johnz1

Postby KobeSkywalker on Fri Mar 24, 2023 3:22 pm

It's weird because after halftime you CAN select the other players, changing the setup. Maybe it would be better if you can just select the players and who you want to be at the start of the match?

Also, I've been playing the challenges mode and the AI is insanely hard and cheap. I even have the game difficulty down to easy and the challenges mode is still super hard. As if it's ignoring the difficulty setting. Unlike the Jam Now mode which is much more in line with whatever setting you select.
KobeSkywalker

Postby johnz1 on Sat Mar 25, 2023 12:22 am

KobeSkywalker wrote:It's weird because after halftime you CAN select the other players, changing the setup.

Correct. If I could prevent, I would. I've never found a way to

KobeSkywalker wrote:Also, I've been playing the challenges mode and the AI is insanely hard and cheap.

Don't worry. The more you play, the better you'll get and soon you'll be killing them

KobeSkywalker wrote:As if it's ignoring the difficulty setting. Unlike the Jam Now mode which is much more in line with whatever setting you select.

Correct. The difficulty of Road Trip matchups is hard-coded and isn't affected by what you select in the game settings
johnz1

Postby KobeSkywalker on Sat Mar 25, 2023 5:06 pm

Ha you're right about getting better. I finally beat 2 of the teams so far. But wow it's tough!! Maybe that's a good thing ;)
KobeSkywalker

Postby johnz1 on Sat Mar 25, 2023 5:37 pm

The first post has been updated with this link to a video showing how to install LOFE v1.0 in RPCS3

phpBB [video]
johnz1

Postby Dee4Three on Mon Mar 27, 2023 1:13 am

NBA Jam Legends On Fire Edition - 1992 NBA Finals

Andrew (Jordan) and Me (Pippen) vs. the CPU Trail Blazers

phpBB [video]
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Check out my YouTube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvHJXrqit8Dc6HBY5P6EmAA

Follow me on Twitter

https://twitter.com/Dee4Three84
Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Mon Mar 27, 2023 9:22 am

So much fun! We also played Barkley's Suns, and while we took care of business, they were not playing around! Definitely an added challenge with legendary duos.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby cocainapapi on Mon Mar 27, 2023 8:01 pm

First off, thanks for this. I can't wait to try it for myself.

That being said though, sorry but I feel real dumb not being able to get this running on my jailbroken ps3. I basically installed the OFE package, then basically pasted the contents of the game files folder into the dev_hdd0 equivalent, but the xmb doesn't show the LOFE and I can only boot up the OFE.

Any help is much appreciated.

And yes I will install this on my PC but I was hoping to have it on that aforementioned PS3 as well
cocainapapi

Postby johnz1 on Tue Mar 28, 2023 3:39 am

cocainapapi wrote:That being said though, sorry but I feel real dumb not being able to get this running on my jailbroken ps3. I basically installed the OFE package, then basically pasted the contents of the game files folder into the dev_hdd0 equivalent, but the xmb doesn't show the LOFE and I can only boot up the OFE.

I think a lot of people are having trouble installing it on jailbroken PS3's. I tested this game on a jailbroken PS3 at least a couple years ago (before I changed the TITLE_ID). From what I remember, the trick on a real Playstation is that your user account number is likely not '00000001' like it always is in RPCS3.

First, I would make sure that the PS3's '/dev_hdd0/game/' has the "NPUB01043" folder. Then, copy the LOFE ZIP file's 'Game Files/dev_hdd0/home/00000001/exdata' folder into the PS3's '/dev_hdd0/home/<YOUR_ACCOUNT_NUMBER>/' folder. Then I would restart the PS3 and see if it shows up as the full game.

I'm planning on testing on a jailbroken PS3 this week. I'll post here with my findings.
johnz1

Postby YoBigWill94 on Tue Mar 28, 2023 12:25 pm

i wonder you can make a version for xbox??
YoBigWill94

Postby Drewbdoo71 on Wed Mar 29, 2023 12:10 pm

Does anyone have step by step instructions on how to get this game on the steamdeck by chance, I’m a newbie with this machine, thank you!
Drewbdoo71

Postby Dee4Three on Wed Mar 29, 2023 12:27 pm

NBA Jam Legends On Fire Edition - Ermolli91 and Dee4Three Session

phpBB [video]
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby cocainapapi on Wed Mar 29, 2023 12:56 pm

johnz1 wrote:First, I would make sure that the PS3's '/dev_hdd0/game/' has the "NPUB01043" folder. Then, copy the LOFE ZIP file's 'Game Files/dev_hdd0/home/00000001/exdata' folder into the PS3's '/dev_hdd0/home/<YOUR_ACCOUNT_NUMBER>/' folder. Then I would restart the PS3 and see if it shows up as the full game.

I'm planning on testing on a jailbroken PS3 this week. I'll post here with my findings.

Thanks mate. I had another try at it and I can confirm that the files in the game folder are indeed in the game/NPUB01043 folder. Also, the EDAT files under exdata are inside the exdata folder where all the other RIF files are. There are currently 3 user accounts in my system, and only 00000001 had an exdata folder. I'm assuming that's the current user that's logged in and able to play all the other games.

I also tried a hard reset through the CFW's custom tools, and even playing around app refreshes in Multiman, but no dice. Hope what I found is somewhat informative.
cocainapapi

Postby sevin0seven on Wed Mar 29, 2023 1:39 pm

Just tried this game today (with Dee4Three). Amazing job! :applaud: :applaud: Thank you for making this possible. I do have a few nitpicks maybe you can update on the next release (if there is one). Ron Seikaly should be replaced by either Mitch Richmond or Latrell Sprewell on the classic Warriors team with Mullin/Hardaway. Jeremy Lin should also be a selectable player on the Knicks team with Carmelo and Stoudimire.
"Every basketball player doesn't have to learn the exact same move. Imagination and creativity separates you from others. Dare to be different!" - Rod Strickland
sevin0seven

Postby johnz1 on Wed Mar 29, 2023 11:25 pm

cocainapapi wrote:Thanks mate. I had another try at it and I can confirm that the files in the game folder are indeed in the game/NPUB01043 folder. Also, the EDAT files under exdata are inside the exdata folder where all the other RIF files are. There are currently 3 user accounts in my system, and only 00000001 had an exdata folder. I'm assuming that's the current user that's logged in and able to play all the other games.

I also tried a hard reset through the CFW's custom tools, and even playing around app refreshes in Multiman, but no dice. Hope what I found is somewhat informative.

Thanks. Last night I spent some time trying to get it working on a PS3. When I installed the RAP for the stock game, the EDAT was put into '/dev_hdd0/home/00000002/exdata/'. I put both EDAT's for LOFE into that directory but I kept getting error 80029530 when starting the game. I'm positive this is happening because I changed the game's title ID. For some reason, RPCS3 is OK with the change, but real PS3's are not. I'll keep working on this.
johnz1

Postby johnz1 on Wed Mar 29, 2023 11:41 pm

sevin0seven wrote:Ron Seikaly should be replaced by either Mitch Richmond or Latrell Sprewell on the classic Warriors team with Mullin/Hardaway. Jeremy Lin should also be a selectable player on the Knicks team with Carmelo and Stoudimire.

I used to have Richmond on the Warriors. The problem is that they wouldn't have a big man. I tried to make sure every team had at least one ball handler and one big man. Sprewell wasn't added because there aren't any free player slots with long shorts. Until the "attribdb" file is figured out, he would have to replace Anfernee Hardaway, Charles Barkley, or Reggie Miller - and that's clearly not the right move.

sevin0seven wrote:Jeremy Lin should also be a selectable player on the Knicks team with Carmelo and Stoudimire.

Unfortunately, players can't just be added. He would need to replace one of these Knicks players: Allan Houston, Amare Stoudemire, J.R. Smith, Carmelo Anthony, Larry Johnson. I didn't think he belonged over any of those guys.

To try to understand how constrained the process of creating this roster was, take a look at the "Team Texture Swaps" sheet in the spreadsheet that's included with the release. I wish it were easy to add/move/replace players. It's really not. It's hard to explain how the process works. You can't just change which uniform a player wears. You have to change the texture. And if you do that, you change it for every player that wears that uniform. So you're basically assigning uniforms to teams, keeping in mind the number of players, the shorts length, the body types, the jersey neck type, the shoes, and even the dreaded-but-critical texture size.
johnz1

Postby johnz1 on Thu Mar 30, 2023 12:14 am

johnz1 wrote:
sevin0seven wrote:Ron Seikaly should be replaced by either Mitch Richmond or Latrell Sprewell on the classic Warriors team with Mullin/Hardaway. Jeremy Lin should also be a selectable player on the Knicks team with Carmelo and Stoudimire.

I used to have Richmond on the Warriors. The problem is that they wouldn't have a big man. I tried to make sure every team had at least one ball handler and one big man. Sprewell wasn't added because there aren't any free player slots with long shorts. Until the "attribdb" file is figured out, he would have to replace Anfernee Hardaway, Charles Barkley, or Reggie Miller - and that's clearly not the right move.

I've been considering replacing Seikaly with Tyrone Hill or Billy Owens. Either one would require a new in-game head, which is tough work so it hasn't happened yet.
johnz1

Postby Dee4Three on Thu Mar 30, 2023 12:45 am

johnz1 wrote:
johnz1 wrote:

I've been considering replacing Seikaly with Tyrone Hill or Billy Owens. Either one would require a new in-game head, which is tough work so it hasn't happened yet.

I vote to keep Rony. He was better than both Owen's and Hill, and was a true center.

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby sevin0seven on Thu Mar 30, 2023 1:33 am

johnz1 wrote:I've been considering replacing Seikaly with Tyrone Hill or Billy Owens. Either one would require a new in-game head, which is tough work so it hasn't happened yet.

How about Christ Gatling? He was a fan favorite during those years. (This is coming from a longtime Warriors fan). Also keep in mind, this Warriors team like to play small ball as well. So having Mitch or Latrell instead of a center is normal.

Dee4Three wrote:I vote to keep Rony. He was better than both Owen's and Hill, and was a true center.

To be honest, majority of the Warriors fan did not like the Ron Seikaly for Billy Owens trade. Don't get me wrong I like Rony, but his time with the Warriors wasn't memorable.

johnz1 wrote:
sevin0seven wrote:Jeremy Lin should also be a selectable player on the Knicks team with Carmelo and Stoudimire.

Unfortunately, players can't just be added. He would need to replace one of these Knicks players: Allan Houston, Amare Stoudemire, J.R. Smith, Carmelo Anthony, Larry Johnson. I didn't think he belonged over any of those guys.

I would replaced J.R. Smith for Linsanity. Heck, I would replace J.R. Smith with Sprewell. Sprewell and Houston is a nice combo (1999 Finals).
"Every basketball player doesn't have to learn the exact same move. Imagination and creativity separates you from others. Dare to be different!" - Rod Strickland
sevin0seven

Postby Drewbdoo71 on Thu Mar 30, 2023 3:25 am

How about adding Fletch! Haha, thank you so much for this mod and all your hardwork on this, i would like to get it on my Steamdeck in the rpcs3 but i dont know how to do that, any suggestions? thank you!
Drewbdoo71

Postby Ndesent on Mon Apr 03, 2023 9:31 am

This is AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!! I can't wait to get this going. I am also here wanting to get this installed on my jailbroken PS3. If anyone has it going please post instructions. Thank you. And again amazing work and I can't wait to get this working
Ndesent

Postby Dee4Three on Thu Apr 20, 2023 2:37 pm

phpBB [video]

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby YoBigWill94 on Thu Apr 20, 2023 4:10 pm

are there going to be any modding tuts?
YoBigWill94

Postby YoBigWill94 on Thu Apr 20, 2023 5:39 pm

Drewbdoo71 wrote:How about adding Fletch! Haha, thank you so much for this mod and all your hardwork on this, i would like to get it on my Steamdeck in the rpcs3 but i dont know how to do that, any suggestions? thank you!

for the Knicks,i'd add Spike Lee
YoBigWill94

Postby johnz1 on Sat Apr 22, 2023 1:23 am

Drewbdoo71 wrote:How about adding Fletch! Haha, thank you so much for this mod and all your hardwork on this, i would like to get it on my Steamdeck in the rpcs3 but i dont know how to do that, any suggestions? thank you!

Yes! I'd love to have Fletch and Kareem be the final Road Trip team.

"Fletch. He truly defines grace under pressure."
johnz1

PreviousNext

Return to Other Basketball Games