Crazy idea...

Talk about any and all other basketball video games including NBA Jam, NBA Street, college basketball games, and more. General basketball video game discussion and comparison topics are also welcome here.

Crazy idea...

Postby Dr B on Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:45 am

Anybody interested in making our own 2D basketball game for PC & Mac? I've seen some people post about crowdsourcing a new college game and how difficult it would be but I'm actually starting to think I can pull something off that would be a fun vintage-style game that would include both college and pro teams and maybe even more.

I've been playing around with the game creation software, Stencyl, for a couple of years now and posted my first game to the forums (http://forums.nba-live.com/viewtopic.php?f=72&t=101048). The graphics are bad and the mechanics are clunky but since then I've continued to experiment just for my own fun and I'm starting to realize just how powerful this program can be. There are some really talented people in these forums when it comes to team & player art, ratings systems and more. Combine that with what I learned about how NBA Live '96 works when I made my Hardwood Classics Edition a few years ago and I think I can translate all those things into a new-age version of the SNES/Genesis classics I used to love with upgraded graphics and new one-on-one and team mechanics. The best part would be our ability to customize it all.

My goal would be to make this a free and fun hobby project. I'm not looking to make any money and I definitely don't want to mess with licensing and the business side of video games. If anyone is interested, post below and I'll update this post with more details about how we might proceed.
Dr B

Re: Crazy idea...

Postby [Q] on Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:15 am

So you're thinking like a Double Dribble style game with generic teams?
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:43 am

It'd certainly be interesting to see an idea like that come to fruition. Retro-style gaming has certainly become popular; whether or not that translates to a basketball game remains to be seen, but it could be a really cool project.
NLSC Webmaster/Administrator
Release Threads: NBA Live 08 | NBA Live 07 | NBA Live 06 | NBA Live 2005 | NBA Live 2004
Story Threads: NBA 2K13 | NBA Live 06 (Part 2) | NBA Live 06 (HOF) | NBA Live 2004 (HOF)
NLSC: Podcast | The Friday Five | Monday Tip-Off | Wayback Wednesday | 20th Anniversary of NBA Live | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube

Support The NLSC Hosting Fund: Patreon | GoFundMe

Like my work? Want to help out with the NLSC Hosting Fund? Please consider leaving a tip!
Andrew
The One Admin
Administrator

Postby Dr B on Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:08 pm

[Q] wrote:So you're thinking like a Double Dribble style game with generic teams?

I'd use real teams and players but just for free download/use here at NLSC. I wouldn't purchase licenses, sell the game or ads. Similar idea to modding, but just starting from scratch to provide a new engine for everyone to mod.

My real vision with this is to make more of a "basketball universe" than any one league. Within the same game you would have pro, college, international, whatever you want.

As far as graphics go, the program uses PNG files for sprites so the graphics can actually be pretty decent. They're just 2D. When I look at NBA Live 96 emulation screens in photoshop each original "pixel" is 49 pixels (7x7) so it would be about 7x the resolution of NBA Live '96.
Dr B

Postby DaCrispy on Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:37 pm

PCF 18 :D
The NLSC's resident Jimmermaniac :cool:

My Lovely Mod : viewtopic.php?f=153&t=104626
My YouTube : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCa6R_ ... nZdCjs7E5A
Join My Discord : https://discord.gg/mzeJZF6
DaCrispy
Jimmmermaniac

Postby Sid33 on Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:48 pm

Hi, I was wondering if you're still working on it or no, I had the same idea of join someone to create a basketball game (management or playable).
Sid33

Postby Dr B on Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:38 pm

I am still very slowly but surely working on this idea. It's still going to be quite a while before I have something shareable but I found an art/animation style that I'm happy with and I'm working on creating animations. Below is a very early sample. Player faces, jerseys and courts will all be customizable PNG graphics. I plan to post testing releases as early as I can with things as basic as just running around to get input and let the community help design the game.

Dr B

Return to Other Basketball Games