Pointers on 3-pointers

Talk about NBA Live 06 here.

Pointers on 3-pointers

Postby Breems on Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:08 am

Alright, this is my last-ditch effort before I turn to slider adjustments. I simply cannot hit 3-pointers in this game. In my dynasty, I'm literally the worst team in the league at ~22%.

My sliders are:
Difficulty: Superstar
Long Range: 42
Poor Release Shot Percent: 33

Now, I could simply accept that I suck, bump those up, and call it a day, but I'd like to figure out what I'm doing wrong. My team doesn't have any true snipers, but I do have several players with a 70-75 3PT rating that should be able to knock down a respectable percentage. I make sure all of my 3-pointers are open shots from set plays or inside-out/PnR. Do other player ratings factor into 3-point shooting, e.g. offensive awareness? I know the range for these players is 25'. My best guess is it's my release timing. Here's a video of a recent game where I went 2/16.:

phpBB [video]

The release timing looks OK to me. Maybe it's slightly late?
Breems
Back in my day...

Re: Pointers on 3-pointers

Postby Murat on Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:36 am

Yes, its slightly late. You have to release the button a bit earlier. I had the similar issue when I was playing 06. Around 2 years ago I considered creating a vanilla mod project, as playing the game. My purpose was trying to replicate a real 12-minute quarter game. My shooting rates were dead low like yours, then I decided to figure out my release timing. It was late.

I advise to practice your release timing at exhibition games.

One more thing: Antonio Daniels was a terrible three point shooter. He often penetrated inside to score, or do that Statue of Liberty dunk with 2 hands.
Murat
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Breems on Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:29 am

You're right. After rewatching, it's obviously late. I thought I was releasing at the top of my jump, but it's actually right as I start to come down. You can see the little hitch in the animation.

I don't attempt many 3s with Daniels. Oddly enough, he's one of the more consistent shooters. I think he has a 60 3PT rating.
Breems
Back in my day...

Postby Andrew on Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:10 pm

I don't know if it's a placebo effect or not, but I've found that throwing a couple of quick pump fakes to set a player's feet (even when you're wide open) seems to help. It does come down to the timing though, which can be pretty unforgiving on Superstar difficulty.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby Breems on Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:14 pm

Andrew wrote:I don't know if it's a placebo effect or not, but I've found that throwing a couple of quick pump fakes to set a player's feet (even when you're wide open) seems to help. It does come down to the timing though, which can be pretty unforgiving on Superstar difficulty.

I don't think it's placebo. The most reliable way for me to make 3-pointers is to either pump fake or fake left/right from the triple-threat before shooting (since the CPU won't contest the shot).
Breems
Back in my day...

Postby Breems on Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:14 pm

Just hopped into an exhibition game before bed and made 4 straight 3-pointers. Forced myself to release earlier and it worked! Just need to train my muscle memory now.
Breems
Back in my day...

Postby Breems on Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:36 am

... then I followed that up with 4/15 in my next game. Releases looked good to me. I'm giving up and turning the sliders up a bit.
Breems
Back in my day...

Postby Andrew on Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:45 am

I'd start with raising the Poor Release slider. It'll allow the game to be a bit more forgiving, which will be helpful without a shot meter or any other kind of visual cue.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby Breems on Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:39 am

Andrew wrote:I'd start with raising the Poor Release slider. It'll allow the game to be a bit more forgiving, which will be helpful without a shot meter or any other kind of visual cue.

Good idea. I'll leave the range sliders as-is and bump up Poor Release from 30-35, or maybe 40.
Breems
Back in my day...

Postby Andrew on Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:57 am

Let me know how it goes. It's been a while since I worked on sliders for NBA Live 06, but I could always stand to update them for people after a fun retro experience.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby Breems on Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:47 pm

Andrew wrote:Let me know how it goes. It's been a while since I worked on sliders for NBA Live 06, but I could always stand to update them for people after a fun retro experience.

Will do. I have one more dynasty game to write up, then I'll play a game with the adjusted sliders and report back.

I combed through the stickied sliders thread in this forum, and several suggestions had Poor Release set to 35-40 (mine was 30), so I'm hoping that will bring me up to a realistic average.
Breems
Back in my day...

Return to NBA Live 06