Pointers on 3-pointers

Talk about NBA Live 06 here.

Pointers on 3-pointers

Postby Breems on Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:08 am

Alright, this is my last-ditch effort before I turn to slider adjustments. I simply cannot hit 3-pointers in this game. In my dynasty, I'm literally the worst team in the league at ~22%.

My sliders are:
Difficulty: Superstar
Long Range: 42
Poor Release Shot Percent: 33

Now, I could simply accept that I suck, bump those up, and call it a day, but I'd like to figure out what I'm doing wrong. My team doesn't have any true snipers, but I do have several players with a 70-75 3PT rating that should be able to knock down a respectable percentage. I make sure all of my 3-pointers are open shots from set plays or inside-out/PnR. Do other player ratings factor into 3-point shooting, e.g. offensive awareness? I know the range for these players is 25'. My best guess is it's my release timing. Here's a video of a recent game where I went 2/16.:

phpBB [video]

The release timing looks OK to me. Maybe it's slightly late?
Breems
Back in my day...

Re: Pointers on 3-pointers

Postby Murat on Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:36 am

Yes, its slightly late. You have to release the button a bit earlier. I had the similar issue when I was playing 06. Around 2 years ago I considered creating a vanilla mod project, as playing the game. My purpose was trying to replicate a real 12-minute quarter game. My shooting rates were dead low like yours, then I decided to figure out my release timing. It was late.

I advise to practice your release timing at exhibition games.

One more thing: Antonio Daniels was a terrible three point shooter. He often penetrated inside to score, or do that Statue of Liberty dunk with 2 hands.
Murat
I wanted you so bad, dear custom title
Contributor

Postby Breems on Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:29 am

You're right. After rewatching, it's obviously late. I thought I was releasing at the top of my jump, but it's actually right as I start to come down. You can see the little hitch in the animation.

I don't attempt many 3s with Daniels. Oddly enough, he's one of the more consistent shooters. I think he has a 60 3PT rating.
Breems
Back in my day...

Postby Andrew on Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:10 pm

I don't know if it's a placebo effect or not, but I've found that throwing a couple of quick pump fakes to set a player's feet (even when you're wide open) seems to help. It does come down to the timing though, which can be pretty unforgiving on Superstar difficulty.
NLSC Webmaster/Administrator
Release Topics: NBA Live 08 | NBA Live 07 | NBA Live 06 | NBA Live 2005 | NBA Live 2004
Story Topics: NBA 2K19 | NBA 2K13 | NBA Live 06 (Part 2) | NBA Live 06 (HOF) | NBA Live 2004 (HOF)
NLSC: Podcast | The Friday Five | Monday Tip-Off | Wayback Wednesday | 20th Anniversary of NBA Live | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube

Support The NLSC Hosting Fund: Patreon | GoFundMe

Like my work? Want to help out with the NLSC Hosting Fund? Please consider leaving a tip!
Andrew
The One Admin
Administrator

Postby Breems on Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:14 pm

Andrew wrote:I don't know if it's a placebo effect or not, but I've found that throwing a couple of quick pump fakes to set a player's feet (even when you're wide open) seems to help. It does come down to the timing though, which can be pretty unforgiving on Superstar difficulty.

I don't think it's placebo. The most reliable way for me to make 3-pointers is to either pump fake or fake left/right from the triple-threat before shooting (since the CPU won't contest the shot).
Breems
Back in my day...

Postby Breems on Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:14 pm

Just hopped into an exhibition game before bed and made 4 straight 3-pointers. Forced myself to release earlier and it worked! Just need to train my muscle memory now.
Breems
Back in my day...

Postby Breems on Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:36 am

... then I followed that up with 4/15 in my next game. Releases looked good to me. I'm giving up and turning the sliders up a bit.
Breems
Back in my day...

Postby Andrew on Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:45 am

I'd start with raising the Poor Release slider. It'll allow the game to be a bit more forgiving, which will be helpful without a shot meter or any other kind of visual cue.
Release Topics: NBA Live 08 | NBA Live 07 | NBA Live 06 | NBA Live 2005 | NBA Live 2004
Story Topics: NBA 2K19 | NBA 2K13 | NBA Live 06 (Part 2) | NBA Live 06 (HOF) | NBA Live 2004 (HOF)
NLSC: Podcast | The Friday Five | Monday Tip-Off | Wayback Wednesday | 20th Anniversary of NBA Live | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube

Like my work? Want to help out with the NLSC Hosting Fund? Please consider leaving a tip!
Andrew
The One Admin
Administrator

Postby Breems on Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:39 am

Andrew wrote:I'd start with raising the Poor Release slider. It'll allow the game to be a bit more forgiving, which will be helpful without a shot meter or any other kind of visual cue.

Good idea. I'll leave the range sliders as-is and bump up Poor Release from 30-35, or maybe 40.
Breems
Back in my day...

Postby Andrew on Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:57 am

Let me know how it goes. It's been a while since I worked on sliders for NBA Live 06, but I could always stand to update them for people after a fun retro experience.

Andrew
The One Admin
Administrator

Postby Breems on Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:47 pm

Andrew wrote:Let me know how it goes. It's been a while since I worked on sliders for NBA Live 06, but I could always stand to update them for people after a fun retro experience.

Will do. I have one more dynasty game to write up, then I'll play a game with the adjusted sliders and report back.

I combed through the stickied sliders thread in this forum, and several suggestions had Poor Release set to 35-40 (mine was 30), so I'm hoping that will bring me up to a realistic average.
Breems
Back in my day...

Return to NBA Live 06