Dynasty: Player Progression, Playbook, and Sim Stats

Talk about NBA Live 06 here.

Dynasty: Player Progression, Playbook, and Sim Stats

Postby Breems on Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:24 pm

I have 3 Dynasty-related questions:

1. Are there any tricks/tips for best utilizing assistant coaches to develop players? For example, I would like to improve Caron Butler's shooting. I grabbed an assistant that specializes in shooting and assigned him to Butler for the entire season with 100% focus on offense. At the end of the season, his FG/3PT had improved by a measly 1-2 points. Can someone reassure me this is a reasonable gain for that investment? Assigning him to multiple assistants helps a little (3-4 point gains), but I'd like to spend a little time with other players as well.

2. How can I permanently change a team's playbook, e.g. the default offensive plays? Is this a .dbf edit?

3. I'm using Andrew's sliders and have my action/sim quarter length set to 6 minutes. I'm noticing that stats (shot attempts, points, rebounds, etc.) from played games are quite a bit higher on average than the simulated games. I'm comfortable with my game speed, so should I increase the sim quarter length to align the stats?
Breems
Back in my day...

Re: Dynasty: Player Progression, Playbook, and Sim Stats

Postby Breems on Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:58 am

I've resolved #3. To add another question: is it possible to create custom draft rookies instead of the generated ones? If it's possible, is there a tutorial?
Breems
Back in my day...

Postby Andrew on Sat Jul 28, 2018 7:41 pm

Apologies for the late reply. I originally saw this topic when I was quickly checking in while I was out of town the weekend of the 14th, and meant to reply when I got home. Unfortunately it slipped my mind and I ended up overlooking it.

It's generally better to assign assistant coaches for shorter periods of time, and constantly throughout the season. The most development takes place during the offseason, but constantly having your assistants work with players for a week or two on a specific area tends to be better, and allows you to focus on more players. The gain you saw is usually the maximum you'll get, depending on a player's hidden potential rating (it's the DESTINY value in players.dbf). As I said, the most improvement comes between seasons, and again depends on the player's potential. What you're seeing is normal, though. Otherwise it'd be too easy to beef up a player's ratings during the year.

You can change the various play related values (PRIM_OFF, SECON_OFF, etc) in teams.dbf. There's some more info here:
https://www.nba-live.com/nbalivewiki/in ... ting_Guide

It's a little bare unfortunately (it's been a while since I've done any work with it, and there might be some inaccuracies), and you'll have to refer to the plays.dbf file for the values, but that's basically how it works, changing the values relating to plays and playcalling. That's what you'd be playing around with in the DBF, though.

Generated rookies appear in player.dbf during the season, and should be assigned to TEAM number 39 (the Rookie Pool). You can change their name and other attributes to essentially create a custom draft class. There's some more information here, which applies to NBA Live 2005 through 08: viewtopic.php?f=114&t=24168

Looks like you've resolved the issue with simulated stats, but for anyone else who is wondering, I definitely advise keeping the Sim Quarter Lengths at the regulation 12 minutes for the best results. As you noted, sliders can usually allow you to have more realistic stats during gameplay with shorter quarter lengths.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Breems on Sun Jul 29, 2018 10:46 am

Great, thanks for the info! I was assigning assistants at 4-week intervals, so I'll shorten those sessions up. I currently have my played/simulated minutes at 8/10 in my dynasty. I'm more concerned with consistency than realism, so I'll monitor the stats for a while and see if I need to adjust.

I'll toy around with the DBF editing soon. Despite the 2006 draft class being notoriously poor, I'd love to draft real rookies and have a shot at landing my favorite player of all time, Ronnie Brewer.
Breems
Back in my day...

Postby Andrew on Sun Jul 29, 2018 11:37 am

No worries. If you are going to tinker with the DBFs of your Dynasty save, be sure to keep a backup in case anything goes wrong. That's advisable whenever you're messing around with DBF files, but you definitely don't want to lose your progress in a Dynasty game on top of everything else.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Breems on Sun Jul 29, 2018 1:09 pm

Roger that. I do software development for a living so I'm a big backup enthusiast. (Y)
Breems
Back in my day...

Postby Andrew on Sun Jul 29, 2018 1:41 pm

Ah, then I'm definitely preaching to the choir on that one! Let me know if you have any other questions about the DBF files; the full set of guides can be found in the Wiki:
https://www.nba-live.com/nbalivewiki/in ... DBF_Guides

...but if there's anything else I can clarify, I'll certainly try.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Return to NBA Live 06