E3 2004: NBA Live 2005 Hands-on

Talk about NBA Live 2005 here.

E3 2004: NBA Live 2005 Hands-on

Postby sixerfan03 on Fri May 14, 2004 2:02 am

From IGN.com

Could be the most improved sports game of the show.

http://ps2.ign.com/articles/514/514636p1.html

May 12, 2004 - So far this year, the biggest jump in gameplay from one year to the next has got to be MVP Baseball. But if the early look at NBA Live 2005 is any indication, EA's hoop game might give MVP a run for its money.

If you look at last year's game, the two main complaints were the game's graphics and the constant collisions that slowed down the action. This year, not only did the game receive a complete graphical overhaul from the Nike's to the headbands, but the spacing has also been improved to make sure the gameplay is as smooth as the players running the floor. The new graphics engine involves everything from body types to body styles to individual animations. Play as LeBron and watch as he soars through the air, cocks the ball back for style, then sails right past the defense for a dunk. The slick animation showcases the individualities of each player and how you'll be able to distinguish moves from The King and his rookie counterpart, Melo.

An improved version of 10-man mo-cap has also been incorporated to provide the proper spacing, proper perimeter, and proper sliding of the defense. Last year, when you brought the ball down the left side of the lane, there might be three defenders collapsing on the ball, slowing the action as the triple team tried to strip the ball. In the new game, the proper players will slide over position to stop the ball while the rest of the players keep their positions away from the ball. For example: In a game of Cavs/Lakers, Boozer took the ball down low, beating Malone along the baseline. Shaq slid over guarding the hoop, while the perimeter players held their spots to guard against the kick back. Last year if this happened, you would've had Shaq, Kobe, and Fox all on Boozer's ass, completely grinding the flow of the game to a hault.

The other big addition is the ability to manually tip the ball instead of simply going for the rebound. You can tip the ball against the glass to keep it alive, try to tip it back in from a distance, or jump in and try for a tip slam. One play I tipped the ball three consecutive times, then finally tipped it in. It was reminiscent of Dennis Rodman down low, getting into position, then doing anything a Worm can do to keep the play alive.

Online, the game is going to be on both the PS2 and Xbox Live, and will even include leaderboards this year to help distinguish the champs from the chumps.

As a wise man once told me (actually he told me on the show floor), when you meet a girl, the first thing you notice isn't her personality. You're attracted to her looks first, then you look for depth. Same holds true for video games. You need to be drawn in by the looks, but if that's all the game offers, it's dumped after the first date.

Luckily for NBA Live, not only did the game receive an extreme makeover, it's also added depth to the gameplay, something that will keep ballers around long after first the initial attraction.
-- Jon Robinson
sixerfan03

Postby fgrep15 on Fri May 14, 2004 1:14 pm

So far this year, the biggest jump in gameplay from one year to the next has got to be MVP Baseball. But if the early look at NBA Live 2005 is any indication, EA's hoop game might give MVP a run for its money.

This year, not only did the game receive a complete graphical overhaul from the Nike's to the headbands, but the spacing has also been improved to make sure the gameplay is as smooth as the players running the floor.

An improved version of 10-man mo-cap has also been incorporated to provide the proper spacing, proper perimeter, and proper sliding of the defense. Last year, when you brought the ball down the left side of the lane, there might be three defenders collapsing on the ball, slowing the action as the triple team tried to strip the ball. In the new game, the proper players will slide over position to stop the ball while the rest of the players keep their positions away from the ball. For example: In a game of Cavs/Lakers, Boozer took the ball down low, beating Malone along the baseline. Shaq slid over guarding the hoop, while the perimeter players held their spots to guard against the kick back. Last year if this happened, you would've had Shaq, Kobe, and Fox all on Boozer's ass, completely grinding the flow of the game to a hault.

The other big addition is the ability to manually tip the ball instead of simply going for the rebound. You can tip the ball against the glass to keep it alive, try to tip it back in from a distance, or jump in and try for a tip slam. One play I tipped the ball three consecutive times, then finally tipped it in. It was reminiscent of Dennis Rodman down low, getting into position, then doing anything a Worm can do to keep the play alive

I like the sounds of these parts, its promising, but some people don't always keep promises.

One thing I would like is if they added the whole CBA (collective bargaining agreement) to the game, and have a little CBA advisor so the trading and signing and everything is like real life, that would be crazy.
CP3 | Brand | Arenas | Calderon
Raptors | Wizards | Clippers
fgrep15

Postby Andrew on Fri May 14, 2004 1:38 pm

More good news. :)
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Vi1n5ce on Fri May 14, 2004 9:36 pm

Hmm.... Strange....

Many games on E3 (games that going to release within a year) focus attention on physics.... At least that's what I have read.....

Why is NBA live focus on grpahics and additional control???....

Doesn't mean it is a bad thing... Afterall, many people will agree that NBA live 2004 is a very good game that just need a few tweaks to make it perfect.... and I think EA knows that....
Vi1n5ce

Postby EGarrett on Fri May 14, 2004 11:19 pm

Compare the new features in Madden 2005 (Psycho Jackal posted a comparison somewhere on this board) to Live. Madden has new game modes and tons of new playcalling methods in game. Live has ball-tipping. And the same stuff they promise year but never deliver (new graphics, signature moves). Yippee...

fgrep15 wrote:One thing I would like is if they added the whole CBA (collective bargaining agreement) to the game, and have a little CBA advisor so the trading and signing and everything is like real life, that would be crazy.

I can see it now...the pop-up windows..."Jackson cannot be traded because he is a base-year compensation player and all salaries involved in this trade must match up with the future expected earnings plus annual contractual percentage increase of this player's salary and others involved in the deal who may also match his status and who are not bound by veteran minimums. Try Again? (Y/N)"

I don't think that would go over too well...

I don't mean to be too negative...but I know what to expect each year and we shouldn't get our hopes up too much.
EGarrett

Postby sixerfan03 on Sat May 15, 2004 12:59 am

EGarrett wrote:Compare the new features in Madden 2005 (Psycho Jackal posted a comparison somewhere on this board) to Live. Madden has new game modes and tons of new playcalling methods in game. Live has ball-tipping. And the same stuff they promise year but never deliver (new graphics, signature moves). Yippee...

Ball tipping was something I was hoping would be in the game. I like Gameplay a lot more than franchise features. I feel too much takes away from the game.

fgrep15 wrote:One thing I would like is if they added the whole CBA (collective bargaining agreement) to the game, and have a little CBA advisor so the trading and signing and everything is like real life, that would be crazy.

I can see it now...the pop-up windows..."Jackson cannot be traded because he is a base-year compensation player and all salaries involved in this trade must match up with the future expected earnings plus annual contractual percentage increase of this player's salary and others involved in the deal who may also match his status and who are not bound by veteran minimums. Try Again? (Y/N)"

I don't think that would go over too well...

I don't mean to be too negative...but I know what to expect each year and we shouldn't get our hopes up too much.

:lol: It'll be hard trying to figure out which players are entitled to Larry Bird exceptions, and which are entitled to Early Bird exceptions.
sixerfan03

Postby hmm on Sat May 15, 2004 1:12 am

Last edited by hmm on Fri Jun 05, 2009 2:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
hmm

Postby BIG GREEN on Sat May 15, 2004 1:20 am

I'll have to agree with sixerfan03....i'd rather them improve the gameplay and focus on that than try to match madden with franchise features and gimmicks.
A big fan of the emerald hue and much higher state of being/
Yohance "thug" Bailey on the scene...now known as Big Green/
BIG GREEN

Postby hmm on Sat May 15, 2004 1:23 am

Last edited by hmm on Fri Jun 05, 2009 2:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
hmm

Postby BIG GREEN on Sat May 15, 2004 1:26 am

Homer wrote:you are talking like they will improve franchise.they wont.they dont care about it.they may change the name.Like Franchise to dynasty.i wish they improved franchise to madden's franchise level.

When and where was i "talking they will improve franchise"? I was responding to EG's first paragraph in his post above.
A big fan of the emerald hue and much higher state of being/
Yohance "thug" Bailey on the scene...now known as Big Green/
BIG GREEN

Postby hmm on Sat May 15, 2004 1:29 am

Last edited by hmm on Fri Jun 05, 2009 2:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
hmm

Postby fgrep15 on Sat May 15, 2004 4:12 am

Actually Madden isn't impressing me, I'll likely be buying ESPN NFL this year (actually I'll get both), cause Madden's additions aren't what is needed. They needed to fix gameplay things and really fix their graphics and animations, but they added create a fan, a newspaper, and some minor little things that even though they might look good won't be if gameplay and graphics remain stagnant.
I'm happy that the live guys are fixing things relating to gameplay like the spacing on the court and all that, and also Madden and ESPN NFL come out 2-3 months before Live, we can't expect the Live guys to have done as much as those guys.
CP3 | Brand | Arenas | Calderon
Raptors | Wizards | Clippers
fgrep15

Return to NBA Live 2005