portrait players historic

Discussion about NBA Live 2004.

portrait players historic

Postby tenedordvd on Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:25 am

Hi men

Some time ago I did some portraits of historical players, but I forgot the steps, I do not remember how I made for the background of the portrait was so (I did with photoshop)
if me makes me any tutorial please

some examples

tenedordvd

Re: portrait players historic

Postby Andrew on Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:18 pm

There's a tutorial in the Wiki. However, NBA Live 2004 doesn't use 2D portraits.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby Mel_Fox_76 on Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:15 am

Hi guys,

I guess there is a misunderstanding. NBA Live 2004 has in game pictures during games that are appearing when a player get's to the free throw line or produces good stats. I've uploaded a lot of my portrait patches to the download section.

To the background question:
To create a perfect background you'll need at least three software programmes.
1. Sth like Photoshop
2. EAGraph
3. nfshtool

Use EAGraph to export one (it's equal which one) .fsh file out of GAMEDIR\render\xprtteam.viv to a new folder.
Then rename that one to an existing name you like to overwrite or a new name. Moreover you can copy that file and rename these files to other necessary names. Usually, the files are named by the first two letters of the prename and the five first letters of the name (shorter names like Lee are soluted like this: Lee__, so that finally seven letters are resulting. Example David Lee: DALEE__.fsh)
Please note, that this picture will be connected to the cayberface with the complementary name in GAMEDIR\render\xplayer.viv, for example: dalee__.viv).
Afterwards open any of those .fsh files with the nfshtool. This tool will create a folder with three files: 0000.bmp, 0000-a.bmp and index.fsh.
Now open index.fsh with an editor (for example editor in WinXP). Only modify the row with BUFSZ (that is the buffer size). You can expand the following number a bit, for example to 70000. Then save and overwrite.
Now to the main part. As you can see in the resulting folder after using the nfshtool, both .bmp files are sized to 64x64 pixels. So you should create a 0000.bmp file for your portrait of any player (or any person) in that size.
Now to the more difficult thing. As you can see in the resulting folder, the 0000-a.bmp is only black and white. Black means won't be seen. White means 100% visible. Greytones are transparencies. So usually, the background file is a white silhouette of the matching picture in front of a black background. You can try to create a perfect one by opening your made portrait picture and select the function 'negative'. Then the face should be sth like blue and the background black (when picture background is white or grey). Then maximize brightness and contrast and you're close to a perfect silhouette. Use eraser function to realize a perfect white surface of the silhouette. Then save that file as a .bmp file 0000-a.bmp.
My old graphic editing software doesn't allow to select various .bmp options. So finally I need to open my background picture one more time with WIndowsXP software 'paint' (crazy, isn't it?) and overwrite that file as 256-color-bmp.
To integrate your patch, copy the patched files to the nfshtool created folder and overwrite the existing files. Then open the index.fsh file with the nfshtool. If the files are in the correct size, there will be a success message in the window and nfshtool creates a new .fsh file (or overwrite yours). Open that created fsh file again with EAGraph to check if your job is done. If yes, use EAGraph again to import your created .fsh file to GAMEDIR\render\xprtteam.viv or use the custom Art method.
Afterwards you've done a patching job! But keep your head up. Often the result of your patch doesn't have the quality that you like to get. So you need to rework your patch until it's satisfying. This will definitely be a practice makes perfect experience;-)

Good luck

C ya

Mel
Last edited by Mel_Fox_76 on Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
:roll: The password always is my name. :roll:
Mel_Fox_76

Postby Andrew on Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:07 am

Thanks for the clarification, it's been some time since I've played NBA Live 2004 so I'd forgotten about those small portraits on the overlays.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby Mel_Fox_76 on Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:27 pm

Here is an example for a self created icon and its background:

Brandon Bass

C ya

Mel
:roll: The password always is my name. :roll:
Mel_Fox_76

Postby Murat on Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:32 am

Or use a DDS file and set an alpha to it.
Murat
Contributor
Contributor

Return to NBA Live 2004