Shot timing? I don't get it...

Talk about NBA 2K23 here.

Shot timing? I don't get it...

Postby tinpanalley on Fri Apr 07, 2023 4:59 am

I'm admittedly coming to this game a little late. And I've read all the official ad copy that attempts (and fails) to describe this and also read the people who love it but don't ever accomplish explaining why either...
I don't understand the concept. You can choose that you shoot early or late, but not accurate? And then how do you find out if you are frequently early or late and then more importantly by how much? We spent over two decades shooting just fine in basketball games by letting go at the top of our jump and all of a sudden we now need this? Why does this feel like a badly implemented thing pushed through the dev process on the last day before wrapping on the game.
And to make things more, well, confusing, if I shoot with real player %, does this even affect me? (Just to be sure I'm doing it right, with real % you're basically just pressing shoot and ignoring completely when you release, correct? Because it's all about how covered you are and whether you're set properly. Correct? You're not expected to let go at the height, right?
tinpanalley

Re: Shot timing? I don't get it...

Postby Andrew on Fri Apr 07, 2023 6:05 pm

So those timing correction options (for lack of a better name) were apparently added very late in development, to the point where they didn't have time to properly implement a normal timing option. It's a design flaw/incomplete feature, basically. It still comes down to trying to get perfect timing and Green Releases as often as possible, though if you're finding it's not working with the setting it's on, try switching it to the other and it may work better. It's tough, since it's not working as intended. They should've held off on it until NBA 2K24.

Real Player % will ignore timing completely. Get it to a good shooter that's wide open (or create space with a dribbling move/run the defender into a screen), and fire away.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby tinpanalley on Sat Apr 08, 2023 2:45 am

Andrew wrote:Real Player % will ignore timing completely. Get it to a good shooter that's wide open (or create space with a dribbling move/run the defender into a screen), and fire away.

I think even this though has a margin within which it works and could use a sensitivity slider. Because I have had situations where I'm at full health on the health bar thing, and I'm open and I'm using a good distance shooter and I'll completely miss a shot. So there must be more to it than being wide open and even if there weren't, surely they must know that there are plenty of situations where even average players can still sink a basket while heavily covered just by aiming properly.
Hmm...maybe the best thing then is to leave it on just my timing and make the meter as relaxed as possible. Is there NO factoring in of a player's skill when you go on purely timing shooting? Can I make a bench player into John Stockton with 3pt shots ny mastering my timing?
tinpanalley

Postby Andrew on Sat Apr 08, 2023 9:28 am

Ratings still matter with timing. It's harder to get a Green Release with a poorer shooter, and the dice roll won't be as kind if you miss that window compared to a strong shooter.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby tinpanalley on Sat Apr 08, 2023 9:36 am

Andrew wrote:Ratings still matter with timing. It's harder to get a Green Release with a poorer shooter, and the dice roll won't be as kind if you miss that window compared to a strong shooter.

Ok. So without knowing how sensitive real% is, it may not be ideal. If you have to be open by 3m in each direction, perfclectly set gor example, I'd argue it's not representative of real percentages. I played a whole quarter yesterday and missed every shot that wasnt a layup. Using particular sliders but still, the guys I was using sbould have been able to sinl at least a third of them even woth light coverage.
tinpanalley

Return to NBA 2K23