2K23 First Impressions

Talk about NBA 2K23 here.

2K23 First Impressions

Postby Uncle Drew on Sun Sep 11, 2022 12:59 am

What are your impressions of the game? Is it just another roster upgrade or are there any gameplay improvments, disappointments?
Uncle Drew

Re: 2K23 First Impressions

Postby luricz on Sun Sep 11, 2022 2:20 am

Hi every one,
I will say is the worts in how the movement feels, the player triggers one or two animations plus an horrible input lag then it gets sucked in to the defender and finally does the movement you had input 3 seconds ago. You have to complete turn off interior and penetration contact shots if you dont want the player to stop when he has a clean line to de basket to basically jump backwards into the defender in a weird motion shoot instead of just doing a layup.
I just play "play now", no my career or parck
Graphics are a little bit better and has some nice new jump shoots but overall by now I´m really frustated on how it feels and plays.
This is what i experienced in one day of playing.
luricz

Postby CarolusXCI on Sun Sep 11, 2022 5:01 am

I have played around 6 hours on Xbox Series S, MyNBA Eras only.

It is not the best gameplay I ever experienced for sure, but I found it better than 2k22's, especially in the post (which is my favorite aspect of basketball). The game feels a tad more fluid to me, I didn't get frustrated as much when dribbling around, there are a couple of new animations here and there, defense and rebounding are good, overall I think the gameplay out of the box is solid.

I can't complain about the art on retro courts and uniforms either. They seem to be reasonably accurate as far as I can tell (only tried Kobe Era and one game of Jordan Era). I love the fact that you can't select modern uniforms in, say, 2002 or 1991. I also think the lighting has gotten better, since 2k22's was a little too bright for my taste.

But I will say this: the retro rosters REALLY suck. To me, it seems as though they have absolutely no idea how to fill out hundreds of attributes, tendencies, signatures, badges and so on for most of the players. As a result they don't play realistic at all. A total imersion-breaker to be honest. It would be better if there were only a dozen of attributes, ten presets for tendencies and 20 or so dunk packages only, just like old NBA Live titles. Rookie Lebron and Melo drafted with arm sleeves and modern shoes? Speaking of shoes, most of the players still use those ugly generic 2K ones. If they want to use generic shoes, fine, but at least make better ones. Generic shoes from 2k11-2k14 would look fine to me. NBA Live AND1-inspired generics would go well too.

How about cyberfaces? Just awful. A bunch of young players with CF's from the tail end of their careers (e.g. Pau, Kidd), Shawn Bradley looking buff AF, skinny DeSagana Diop, fully-tattooed Birdman Andersen in 2002. Look, I don't mind generic players at all, but what's the point in having lots of licensed players with CAP cyberfaces? Why go to all the trouble of getting the rights to use their likenesses, and then not use them at all?

And how about a soundtrack with NO retro songs whatsoever? No 80's or 90's hip hops or pop songs at all.

In my opinion, if they wanted to create a retro atmosphere for the respective retro modes, they have failed. To me it is clear that some development teams at 2K worked really hard to come up with something like MyNBA Eras, while others, to put it as mildly as possible, didn't have the proper tools/knowledge for the task at hand. Too bad I can't no longer refund it and buy it again on a sale...
CarolusXCI

Postby maumau78 on Sun Sep 11, 2022 4:33 pm

CarolusXCI wrote:I have played around 6 hours on Xbox Series S, MyNBA Eras only.

It is not the best gameplay I ever experienced for sure, but I found it better than 2k22's, especially in the post (which is my favorite aspect of basketball). The game feels a tad more fluid to me, I didn't get frustrated as much when dribbling around, there are a couple of new animations here and there, defense and rebounding are good, overall I think the gameplay out of the box is solid.

I can't complain about the art on retro courts and uniforms either. They seem to be reasonably accurate as far as I can tell (only tried Kobe Era and one game of Jordan Era). I love the fact that you can't select modern uniforms in, say, 2002 or 1991. I also think the lighting has gotten better, since 2k22's was a little too bright for my taste.

But I will say this: the retro rosters REALLY suck. To me, it seems as though they have absolutely no idea how to fill out hundreds of attributes, tendencies, signatures, badges and so on for most of the players. As a result they don't play realistic at all. A total imersion-breaker to be honest. It would be better if there were only a dozen of attributes, ten presets for tendencies and 20 or so dunk packages only, just like old NBA Live titles. Rookie Lebron and Melo drafted with arm sleeves and modern shoes? Speaking of shoes, most of the players still use those ugly generic 2K ones. If they want to use generic shoes, fine, but at least make better ones. Generic shoes from 2k11-2k14 would look fine to me. NBA Live AND1-inspired generics would go well too.

How about cyberfaces? Just awful. A bunch of young players with CF's from the tail end of their careers (e.g. Pau, Kidd), Shawn Bradley looking buff AF, skinny DeSagana Diop, fully-tattooed Birdman Andersen in 2002. Look, I don't mind generic players at all, but what's the point in having lots of licensed players with CAP cyberfaces? Why go to all the trouble of getting the rights to use their likenesses, and then not use them at all?

And how about a soundtrack with NO retro songs whatsoever? No 80's or 90's hip hops or pop songs at all.

In my opinion, if they wanted to create a retro atmosphere for the respective retro modes, they have failed. To me it is clear that some development teams at 2K worked really hard to come up with something like MyNBA Eras, while others, to put it as mildly as possible, didn't have the proper tools/knowledge for the task at hand. Too bad I can't no longer refund it and buy it again on a sale...

Pretty much my feelings....bring MyEra with such low detail level is useless....
"I open at the close"

Dumbledore

You like my works? Support me! Donations Link Below:
https://paypal.me/maumau78mods
https://twitter.com/MauroAnceschi
https://www.youtube.com/user/anceschmau78/videos
maumau78
Contributor
Contributor

Postby fjccommish on Mon Sep 12, 2022 11:54 am

PC

85-86 Bulls vs Current Rockets - 20 Games. CPU v CPU Superstar

Rockets won by an average of 40+ points.

Bulls leading scorer was Wennington.

Jordan averaged 8 PPG on 2-16 shooting (each game).

Game deleted from hard drive.
fjccommish

Postby Coyroy on Mon Sep 12, 2022 7:46 pm

Definitely better than 21&22 ,finally can say goodbye to 20 now.
Coyroy

Postby Uncle Drew on Mon Sep 12, 2022 10:15 pm

Coyroy wrote:Definitely better than 21&22 ,finally can say goodbye to 20 now.

From what I've been hearing, it's not much better than 2K22. I think I'll wait before dropping another 60 bones.
Uncle Drew

Postby KyotoCarl on Tue Sep 13, 2022 1:04 am

Uncle Drew wrote:
Coyroy wrote:Definitely better than 21&22 ,finally can say goodbye to 20 now.

From what I've been hearing, it's not much better than 2K22. I think I'll wait before dropping another 60 bones.

I would say it's definetly better than 21 and 22. I'm talking PC here. Better footplanting, smoother animations and gameplay just feels smoother and more organic.
KyotoCarl

Postby fjccommish on Tue Sep 13, 2022 2:24 am

It's the same as 2K 22. It's the same feel of gliding around at one speed - no explosiveness. CPU teams randomly move the ball to whoever - random nobodies will lead the team in scoring game after game.
fjccommish

Postby Kenny on Tue Sep 13, 2022 11:41 am

First impressions from about eight hours of gameplay:

1. I've already switched to real player percentage on shooting and free throws. Right now, the green or bust shooting mechanics are way too punishing. Surely this is one area they could have copied and pasted from the previous game, and it would have been fine.
  2. The mandatory quest items before playing MyCAREER games - and sometimes before leaving the arena - are an absolute nightmare. I can see myself bouncing off MyCAREER quite quickly if it doesn't ease up after a few games. I'll return to Death Stranding if I want to walk around a map for a while.
  3. Bad shot selections and bad steal attempts... I get what they're trying to do, but the execution is poor. If I'm playing a passing lane and I deny a pass by pressing square, I've made a good play. Don't penalise me for that. Similarly, missing a shot doesn't mean I've taken a bad shot - it just means I missed a shot.
  4. There's also a penalty for getting dunked on. Again, I get what they're going for, but why penalise someone for trying to make a defensive play? Surely it's better to get dunked on than to give someone an open path to the hoop?
  5. I played a game in The W, and since I got fouled out of it, it didn't allow me to do an off-day activity. For a mode that struggles to get players to engage with it, I don't think this was a good move. Plus, I played 15 minutes in that game... surely that's enough?
  6. MyTEAM seems solid, but only after turning off the shot timing. The 5v5 modes might be the best option for me at the moment - at least until the next patch.

To summarise, this might be the worst launch 2K I've played in quite some time (keeping in mind I skipped 2K18).
Kenny
Thon Maker's Biggest Fan.
NLSC Team Member

Postby Coyroy on Wed Sep 14, 2022 11:04 pm

fjccommish wrote: It's the same feel of gliding around at one speed - no explosiveness.

Hard to see explosiveness above the rim coz power finish animations are cut short and after dunk backboard doesn't even move much but setting up hustle,putback,dunking,block and mov speed with ball sliders helps some.
Coyroy

Postby maumau78 on Thu Sep 15, 2022 7:55 pm

Got the game yesterday....PC of course...some really quick notes:

- Jumpshoot looks and feel a lot better than any other previous 2k
- Seems like PS5 2k22 foot plant is now on 2k23 PC version
- Fastbreak seems fixed
- They finally fixed classic teams triggable shorts lenght
- I can carry over most of 2k20-2k22 mods....cyberface conversion need blender but other 99% mods works which is great

....but I just play like 10-15 minutes....
"I open at the close"

Dumbledore

You like my works? Support me! Donations Link Below:
https://paypal.me/maumau78mods
https://twitter.com/MauroAnceschi
https://www.youtube.com/user/anceschmau78/videos
maumau78
Contributor
Contributor

Postby bongo88 on Fri Sep 16, 2022 10:12 am

Default shooting on PC was difficult for me. I'm just not a very good green/perfect release person. If it is slightly early/ slightly late, then the shot misses.

there is a slider that helps with the shooting window. It is under the user slider (cpu/user sliders). It is called shooting timing impact slider.

putting it to 0 helps open the shooting window. For people, like me, who need the shooting window opened a little.
bongo88

Postby CarolusXCI on Mon Sep 19, 2022 1:03 am

bongo88 wrote:Default shooting on PC was difficult for me. I'm just not a very good green/perfect release person. If it is slightly early/ slightly late, then the shot misses.

there is a slider that helps with the shooting window. It is under the user slider (cpu/user sliders). It is called shooting timing impact slider.

[ Image ]

putting it to 0 helps open the shooting window. For people, like me, who need the shooting window opened a little.

Yeah, same here. Usually I'm a Real Player % guy, but that eliminates those neat follow-through animations, so instead I prefer to lower the shooting timing slider to around 15-20.
CarolusXCI

Postby Andrew on Wed Sep 21, 2022 3:07 pm

I've been playing on PS5 and PC. On the whole, I'm liking it much, much better than NBA 2K22.

That's not to say that there isn't a lot of NBA 2K22 in NBA 2K23, and I'd respectfully suggest that anyone saying it's a brand new game that feels totally different is falling victim to First Fortnight Myopia. Anecdotally, it usually takes up to two weeks to notice enough annoyances that really start detracting from any positive first impressions, and it's during this period that criticism is most loudly shouted down.

With that being said though, I'm feeling good about both versions of NBA 2K23. It feels like player movement has been tightened up a bit, though it actually might be slightly better on PC than PS5 (then again, that could be personal preference). I'm liking the shooting a lot better. There are drawbacks to making success so reliant on perfect releases, but to me Greens feel more reliable than in NBA 2K22. It's definitely unforgiving, and that can be a problem with online play. Still, I'm not having the same frustration as in NBA 2K22, especially on PS5.

Feature-wise, MyTEAM is great this year, the Jordan Challenge is spectacular, and there's a lot to appreciate about MyNBA Eras. However, there is a lack of attention to detail in MyNBA Eras with some of the courts and jerseys not being included or changing in the wrong years (or not changing as the case may be). The placeholder players stick out like a sore thumb, and while that was inevitable and they've done a respectable job of getting lesser-known players into the game - Blair Rasmussen is on the early 90s Hawks, just to put that into perspective - it does highlight how likeness rights hold back what is a fantastic and creative concept. The bigger problem is the lack of accuracy in player ratings and tendencies. Given what they were going for, they really needed to do a better job with those.

I put NBA 2K22 aside very early last year in favour of continuing to play through multiple seasons of MyCAREER in NBA 2K14, since I was on that kick. Right now, I don't feel like putting NBA 2K23 aside, and that's a good sign. It feels like Current Gen and PC received a decent amount of attention this year. For me, it's the best NBA 2K game in a few years, and has the potential to go down as one of the best. It does have some clear issues though and it's early days, so we'll see how I feel after another week with the game, and then how I feel in the weeks beyond that; especially if patches and tuning fixes end up harming the game more than they help it. So far so good, but certainly not perfect, and there are some legacy issues without a doubt.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby ThePointForward on Thu Sep 22, 2022 7:02 pm

Alright, my IRL circumstances have changed a little bit, so I had time and pulled the trigger to buy the game. On Xbox Series S (will probably get X next year when we move and I'll have actual living room setup for it, but at the same time want to buy an airsoft Kriss Vector converted to HPA, which is expeeeensive).

Anyway thoughts.

General gameplay:
Movement feels different in a good way.
Shooting is very dependent on green releases and I feel like there's a bit of inconsistency with release speed.
I have not played online yet, so dunno how bad is the lag this year.

MyCareer:
The overarching story is cringe, but the general gist is decent - it's just that everybody behaves as if it's a highschool drama. That said, Shep is going in as soon as he can and MP finished his college stint if I got it right, so I guess Shep is almost a high schooler still. Still, meh. And the fact that some quests block your ability to play NBA games is also pretty meh.
The character builder is fine, I like the idea of "secret" build names if you mimic some of the players.
My biggest pet peeve is the team takeover. First, it always throws me off. I want an option to keep player lock on MP during the takeover. Second, opposing team sometimes seem to get takeovers even on missed shots, which is... interesting I guess.
As for my player, I made a Paint Beast four - focus on finishing, especially from the post, defense and also having decent passing ability and passable mid range jumper. Basically no 3pt ability. Plays nice in the NBA modes. I think it will be decent in park too if I decide to play it.
Also, single player modes should contribute to Season XP.

MyTeam:
No contracts is basically what convinced me to get it. I love that change. I got a decent starting team rather quickly, the rewards are OK. Domination being based on game score instead of needing to earn X amount of MT points is IMO good, not sure if that's new.

MyNBA Eras:
Good idea, I forgot how bad scoreboards were still in 2002. I do wonder how well the progression goes - if you get "stuck" in an era or if you go to the next one once you hit it. If you progress from an era to another one, it's brilliant.

Jordan challenges:
Didn't start anything past the intro.
ThePointForward
Formerly Dommy73

Postby Andrew on Fri Sep 23, 2022 2:22 am

Well put, I tend to agree. The change to Domination is indeed new this year.

ThePointForward wrote:Shooting is very dependent on green releases and I feel like there's a bit of inconsistency with release speed.

There is, intentionally so. The timing is slower if you're wide open, faster if you're under pressure or a defender is closing out. Makes sense in theory, but it does throw you off in my experience.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby CarolusXCI on Sun Sep 25, 2022 6:25 am

Apparently, the last patch removed the ability of quickly changing players in the player edit screen. Now you need to go back one screen if you want to select another player, which makes editing signature moves, shoes and accessories a lot more tedious.

To me that's the straw that broke the camel's back, unfortunately.
CarolusXCI

Postby Andrew on Mon Sep 26, 2022 1:33 am

Must've been a happy accident, like access to the MyNBA Eras Rosters debug menu in Play Now that was also patched out. Meanwhile, animations are still being randomly unequipped in MyCAREER.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby KyotoCarl on Thu Oct 06, 2022 10:44 pm

fjccommish wrote:PC

Do you have any screenshots of this cause it seems kind of hard to believe. Say what you will about 2K's stat simming but I've never seen anything like that happening.
KyotoCarl

Postby Dee4Three on Mon Oct 24, 2022 2:21 am

KyotoCarl wrote:
fjccommish wrote:PC

Do you have any screenshots of this cause it seems kind of hard to believe. Say what you will about 2K's stat simming but I've never seen anything like that happening.

Agreed. Things are often off when it comes to sim stats as a result of rushed tendencies/attributes etc

However, that doesn't sound right at all. Would love to see some screenshots proving this, and at the same time someone else could do the same sim and show their results.
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Check out my YouTube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvHJXrqit8Dc6HBY5P6EmAA

Follow me on Twitter

https://twitter.com/Dee4Three84
Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby mp3 on Thu Oct 27, 2022 2:09 am

Iam late to the party but I bought the digital copy for the ps4 last week, I loved it out the box with no slider adjustments the game felt nice, I haven't played for a few days but since the patch I can't hit a shot from deep and the cpu seems to get steals at will while playing on my usual settings of superstar 12 min quarters.

I know I can adjust the sliders but I really hope this isn't another nba live 10 where the patch ruins the fun
Youtube - mp3 Basketball Gaming
mp3

Postby Andrew on Thu Oct 27, 2022 10:10 am

One of the devs' stated goals in recent years has been to avoid messing with the gameplay too much in the official patches. So far so good with NBA 2K23, I'd say.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby mp3 on Thu Oct 27, 2022 11:26 pm

I'd agree mate it's on a minor change I've felt and out the box I was playing and enjoying it without having to tweak this and that which is huge step in the right direction for me personally. The swift in gameplay from patch to patch put me off completely the franchise along with the direction of dress up barbie focus.
Youtube - mp3 Basketball Gaming
mp3

Postby sevin0seven on Mon Oct 31, 2022 3:54 pm

Dee4Three wrote:However, that doesn't sound right at all. Would love to see some screenshots proving this, and at the same time someone else could do the same sim and show their results.

alright, here are my result regarding the claim above (winning by 40 points, etc). My settings are default HOF sliders, 12 mins quarters. I created 92-93 Suns vs 87-88 Bullets on my roster to go head to head CPU VS CPU. Here are the result in screenshots. This is with the latest update patches btw:

..this is only one game and the result seems alright (stats wise). Suns won by 7 points at home. (Y)

Here's the highlight of the night; Barkley dunking on John Williams:

"Every basketball player doesn't have to learn the exact same move. Imagination and creativity separates you from others. Dare to be different!" - Rod Strickland
sevin0seven

Return to NBA 2K23