NBA 2K22 MyCAREER thread

Talk about NBA 2K22 here.

NBA 2K22 MyCAREER thread

Postby Dee4Three on Thu Sep 23, 2021 12:58 am

Share your experiences with MyCAREER here!

I personally can't get into the mode, was never a fan of the career modes in the 2K games. However, I know a lot of you in the community try to dive into this mode every year, so it would be cool to hear your stories on how it is going, and maybe even see some highlights of you playing in the mode.
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Check out my YouTube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvHJXrqit8Dc6HBY5P6EmAA

Follow me on Twitter

https://twitter.com/Dee4Three84
Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Re: NBA 2K22 MyCAREER thread

Postby ThePointForward on Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:07 pm

Right, I'm on next-gen (XSS) and I've built a small forward... And you can probably guess what kinda playstyle I like to do based off of my nickname.

Build:
6'7", 234 lbs with 7'1" wingspan small forward.
Finishing: 50 close shot, 95 driving layup, 95 driving dunkj, 25 standing dunk and 70 post control.
Shooting: 80 mid-range, 82 three point, 70 free throw
Playmaking: 80 pass accuracy, 80 ball handle, 60 speed w/ ball
Def/Rebounding: 70 int. def, 84 per. def, 60 steal, 71 block, 41 off reb, 71 def reb
Physicals: 76 speed, 73 accel, 70 strength, 80 vertical, 99 stamina

Badges: 23 finishing, 24 shooting, 19 playmaking (and +4 from college), 15 defense/rebounding.

Looking back, if I could do a respec I'd do only minor changes. I'd sacrifice offensive rebound completely and up close shot.
That said, the lower amount of defensive badges is also hurting a bit, but I don't think I'd change it for other stats.

Moving on to actual MyCareer...
So far it wasn't too bad, I got drafted by Detroit and currently am near finishing of the trade drama story arc. Sadly Detroit having number 1 pick in the draft is also not a great team. Now that I breached into 80 overall ratings I'm able to do consistent good scoring with double double in assists, sometimes triple double as well.
However even when going off with 30+/10/10 it's not a guaranteed win, especially with 12 minute quarters.

The side distractions are hit and miss.
The music side arc is finally kicking off and also start being rewarding. I think I got like 10k VC from it yesterday.
The fashion side arc kinda stalled for me as I found out that the daily fashion quest was bugged and instead of 3 NBA games I'd need to play 10.

Other quests are almost revolting.
Gym Rat - you need to earn 3 stars fifty friggin' times which is way too many times. Especially given they have removed the option to use the Gatorade drill to get those 3 stars. So it's 10 weeks at the absolute minimum or winning the NBA championship.
Spawn points - you need to run a literal marathon in The City. You don't even get full on fast travel, you get to choose where you spawn. At least you can fast travel to your apartment.

These two quests are in my opinion simply poorly designed. Terrible, nonsensical grind. Especially the marathon. It just doesn't make a piece of damn sense.
ThePointForward
Formerly Dommy73

Postby Dee4Three on Sat Oct 02, 2021 3:37 am

Just hearing

"Quests"
"NPCs"
"Go Karts"
"Skateboards"
"Backpacks"

Etc in a marketed as simulation basketball game is just a massive turnoff for me.

Happy to see you are getting enjoyment out of it though.
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby ThePointForward on Sat Oct 02, 2021 4:17 am

Dee4Three wrote:Just hearing

"Quests"
"NPCs"
"Go Karts"
"Skateboards"
"Backpacks"

Etc in a marketed as simulation basketball game is just a massive turnoff for me.

Happy to see you are getting enjoyment out of it though.

Right, so the whole go karts, skateboards, backpacks etc nonsense I agree is just pointless for a basketball game. Not to mention they're half arsed because (rightfully) nobody's gonna spend too much time on skateboarding in a basketball game. Like it's almost laughably bad how the skateboarding works.

The quests and NPCs... there's a line. With the career mode we are getting some kind of story to it and the main story quests are decent. They're focused on your career and for example one I'm on right now is about trade rumours.
Kendrick Perkins on his show said that he heard that I demanded a trade (I didn't), so between some games I had to go to my manager, where I decided whether or not I wanted to actually leave Pistons, then my agent, who told me how to handle this, then I had to handle the press asking about it, then GM called me in for a conversation and was happy that I wanted to stay and now I'm waiting for my manager to set up an interview about this.

Now that's a decent story line, as a reward I get the ability to influence trades in my team and presumably then there's gonna be something else.

Overall I feel like there could've easily been a choice between walking there myself and just fast travelling (showing cutscene).

What I'm more worried about is that 2K clearly wants to do this whole Game as a Service thing, but also keep on releasing new version yearly.
ThePointForward
Formerly Dommy73

Postby smokex on Sun Oct 10, 2021 11:41 am

The canned animations and poor AI are what's killing it for me this time. It's like I'm not even in control of the player against the CPU.

This guy pretty much sums up what I mean in his videos.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaDU3g ... RJQ/videos
smokex

Postby Dee4Three on Fri Nov 19, 2021 5:05 am

smokex wrote:The canned animations and poor AI are what's killing it for me this time. It's like I'm not even in control of the player against the CPU.

This guy pretty much sums up what I mean in his videos.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaDU3g ... RJQ/videos

I talked about it on the podcast. It is the reason why so many games from the past (Even a decade+ ago) are more enjoyable to play.

2K22 is loaded with canned animations, artificial boosts, and a lot of sliding. Lack of control can really kill the fun, and it can make someone get sick of a game real fast.

Andrew and I revisited NBA Live 06 (360) and NBA Live 10 recently, and we had a blast because we had control over the action. My brothers and I still play NBA 2K16 and NBA 2K17 quite often, and again the games are far more enjoyable over 2K22, as the games have better footplanting, less canned animations, and we have more overall control on the sticks.

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby Raps in 4 on Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:49 am

Hi guys. How do you all like this player?

He's a 6'5 SG. I went with the vertical pie chart. might go ahead and change that, but he got some decent dunks in the try out game in the builder, and I swished 3 threes.
Also considering other builds.
Raps in 4

Postby Raps in 4 on Wed Feb 09, 2022 10:50 am

considering a different one now:
6'5 PG with 95 speed
HOF playmaking and defense and can dunk pretty good. 66 threeball but I've hit some with him
Raps in 4

Postby Andrew on Thu Feb 10, 2022 10:00 pm

First build looks pretty versatile! When I was playing MyCAREER, I usually stuck with some sort of playmaking point guard, or a centre that could rebound and dunk all day. Nothing's been quite as fun as my builds in NBA 2K14 and NBA 2K17, though. It feels like the pie chart approach in Current Gen, and the supposedly wide open system in Next Gen, are in fact more restrictive. If nothing else, getting a build that's viable and fun online and offline alike can be challenging, and it results in a lot of homogeny.

Do you play online as well?
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Raps in 4 on Fri Feb 11, 2022 1:26 am

Andrew wrote:First build looks pretty versatile! When I was playing MyCAREER, I usually stuck with some sort of playmaking point guard, or a centre that could rebound and dunk all day. Nothing's been quite as fun as my builds in NBA 2K14 and NBA 2K17, though. It feels like the pie chart approach in Current Gen, and the supposedly wide open system in Next Gen, are in fact more restrictive. If nothing else, getting a build that's viable and fun online and offline alike can be challenging, and it results in a lot of homogeny.

Do you play online as well?

Well yeah I played some park with my center but it was hard, playing against three threepoint shooters most of the time. So now I want a shooter too.
Considering this build as well:

Elite shooter with good defense, and can still dunk and dribble. 6'5 SG
Raps in 4

Postby Raps in 4 on Fri Feb 11, 2022 1:29 am

Had fun with this one in the player builder as well:
Called paint defender. 2.06m (metric system), max weight and wingspan. Can shoot and dunks agrressivley as well. Great defense. Snatched a block here and there.
Raps in 4

Postby Raps in 4 on Fri Feb 11, 2022 9:30 am

I went with the 2 way sharpshooter. Sank 136k vc into him. Got him to a 83 overall. 93 threeball was 32k. I expected it to be more.
Raps in 4

Postby Andrew on Sat Feb 12, 2022 10:25 am

Online is definitely all about the meta, and a handful of specific builds. As I understand it, the Blinders Badge is pretty OP.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Raps in 4 on Wed Feb 16, 2022 6:09 am

I'm already at 91 overall now. 10 park games away from unlocking rebirth.
Raps in 4

Postby Andrew on Thu Feb 17, 2022 12:29 am

That's probably the best reward they've offered thus far. About time, too.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Raps in 4 on Thu Feb 17, 2022 6:36 pm

I'm probably building this player next, with rebirth:
Any feedback is appreciated.
Raps in 4

Postby Raps in 4 on Fri Feb 18, 2022 8:56 am

Or this one:
Raps in 4

Postby Andrew on Sat Feb 19, 2022 1:25 pm

Which positions are they?
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Raps in 4 on Sun Feb 20, 2022 9:40 am

Andrew wrote:Which positions are they?

Power forward. I went with the second one. Perimeter defender is what he's called.

81 threepointer, 80 standing dunk 81 speed and 80 vertical without gym rat 81 perimeter defense 75 blocking 80 defensive rebounding with Hall of Fame shooting badges.

He's undersized though, 6'7 and I toned down the wingspan a notch. But he can jump so gets blocks. Need to upgrade him further to get his full vertical. He's at 73 vert now, at 87 overall. Leading the Knicks to the best record, having replaced Randle in the staring line up. He's quick so against most bigs he can get open, either on the perimeter or inside if the lane is open and I lose my man. Not against Giannis though lol, then I just spread the floor.
Raps in 4

Postby Andrew on Mon Feb 21, 2022 1:14 am

That's a good skillset then. Athleticism and skill should make up for his lack of height as you keep levelling up. Considering the amount of sub-six foot players online these days, he'd probably do alright in that arena as well.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Raps in 4 on Fri Mar 04, 2022 7:12 pm

Somebody on Reddit suggested a 7'3 center is easy to level up with.
So I'm considering this build next:

Pretty cheap build in terms of vc cost too. Except rebounding blocking and standing dunk.
But what I highlighted to get to 80 is like 68k.
Raps in 4

Postby Andrew on Sun Mar 06, 2022 11:29 pm

That's not bad, given the rising cost of upgrades in MyCAREER over the years.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Raps in 4 on Tue Mar 15, 2022 7:12 am

Any advice on how tall I should make my point guard?

1.88m = 91 speed 90 acceleration
with gym rate badge at 99 overall that's 99 speed and 98 accel

1.87m = +1 on both. so also 99 accel at 99 overall

or is going bigger better? idk maybe defensively, or will I be too slow?
Raps in 4

Postby Raps in 4 on Tue Mar 15, 2022 3:20 pm

I went with 1.95m
Raps in 4

Postby Andrew on Wed Mar 16, 2022 8:49 pm

It sounds like a lot of people have made OP builds under 6 foot this year, but I imagine it'd be pretty easy to get blocked...unless you're just zig-zagging behind a screen I suppose, which obviously people do. I think a little extra height is a good call, it's what I'd prefer.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Next

Return to NBA 2K22