Using MyTeam Players on MyLeague etc.

A hub for everything related to NBA 2K21 modding. Releases, previews, requests, and other modding discussion belongs here.

Using MyTeam Players on MyLeague etc.

Postby hedop on Fri Apr 09, 2021 7:24 pm

Hi there, not sure if this should be in the modding section or if any tools help with that but I wanted to transform NBA history by "rebirthing" some ABA legends and putting them on a team. Unfortunately certain guys like Mel Daniels and Connie Hawkins are only available as MyTeam cards but not included in the normal All-Time Rosters. I was wondering if something can be done about that?
This topic was moved from NBA 2K21 by Andrew on Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:55 pm.
hedop

Re: Using MyTeam Players on MyLeague etc.

Postby Andrew on Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:46 pm

A lot of the MyTEAM data is stored server side, but I believe if nothing else their faces and models are stored locally, so it should be possible to add them to a roster and assign them the face/model already in the game. Arguably that's really all you need, since a lot of the ratings and whatnot in MyTEAM aren't sim to begin with.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby hedop on Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:29 pm

Andrew wrote:A lot of the MyTEAM data is stored server side, but I believe if nothing else their faces and models are stored locally, so it should be possible to add them to a roster and assign them the face/model already in the game. Arguably that's really all you need, since a lot of the ratings and whatnot in MyTEAM aren't sim to begin with.

Well I was actually hoping for a more direct approach as I'm pretty sure that at least some commentary would be linked to the players and therefore the authenticity would be gone. Could you possibly point me to a tutorial or something similar on how to do what you suggested?

Also I don't get why they would put legends (who btw even from the comments on the posted cards nobody today who isn't into historic teams knows) into MyTeam without implementing them into the normal Roster. This just seems silly to me. The same way that they can't be bothered to use a young cyberface for stars in there historic draft classes. It's a shame really.
hedop

Postby Andrew on Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:54 pm

I believe this roster editing tutorial includes the necessary pointers: viewtopic.php?f=268&t=110651

I'll also move this topic into the Modding section for better visibility to folks who can provide further assistance on that front. Sorry I can't provide any further specifics myself!

As to why they do that with Legends, it all comes down to money. If certain historical players are exclusive to MyTEAM, the only way to play with them (custom rosters not withstanding) is to collect them, which usually means ripping open pack after pack, which is easier to do if you're spending money. With all the players they've licensed, they could easily expand the roster of retro teams, fill in gaps in the All-Time teams, and include something like NBA Live's old Legends Pool that would better facilitate all kinds of historical roster projects.

The problem is that none of that will make them money the way that recurrent revenue mechanics will, and indeed, it'll even hamper their ability to make money through a pushy approach to microtransactions. It's the same reason that the online team play modes don't have deep, proper matchmaking, and are hampered by low payouts and expensive upgrades. It's meant to frustrate people into spending money. If it doesn't facilitate the recurrent revenue mechanics, it's not going to be a priority. I'm sure a lot of the actual developers would be in favour of these things, but the suits call the shots.

To put it another way, adding some missing players to the All-Time teams will make hardcore basketball fans happy, but using those players to offer inaccurate but desirably overpowered MyTEAM cards will make them money.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby hedop on Sat Apr 10, 2021 3:33 am

Thx anyway. I remembered that years back someone managed to input players from MyTeam that weren't on the regular rosters into the normal game or it was a Roster file you could download. I was hoping for something like that.
hedop

Postby fez100 on Tue May 25, 2021 11:59 am

Kind of a late response, but every year I actually make a custom roster with current players updated with their myteam stats. If you're interested I could share it this year :). The attributes and badges are updated, and the tendencies are copied over form a realistic roster, I don't remember which one.
fez100

Postby Andrew on Tue May 25, 2021 2:07 pm

By all means!
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby fez100 on Wed May 26, 2021 12:11 pm

Ah my bad, I misread what op was asking for. My roster has players that match their myteam cards, but doesn't have the players in myteam that are missing from the regular roster.
fez100

Return to NBA 2K21 Modding