The City Revealed for MyCAREER in NBA 2K21 Next Gen

Talk about NBA 2K21 here.

The City Revealed for MyCAREER in NBA 2K21 Next Gen

Postby Andrew on Thu Nov 05, 2020 9:28 pm

Blog here: https://nba.2k.com/courtside-report/nba ... de-report/

Trailer:

phpBB [video]

And my summary of the blog:

• The map for The City is much, much larger than any of the previous Neighborhoods. As the name would imply, it's a metropolis with skyscrapers, plazas, and four distinct boroughs. Each borough has its own design and Park Affiliation.
  • A MyPLAYER's journey begins in the Rookieville docks. By proving your skills, you'll be able to enter The City proper.
  • The Event Center is where all events will be held. These include events we've previously seen in The Neighborhood, and new events for Next Gen.
  • Exploration is encouraged. It will be possible to play pickup games and HORSE at hoops scattered throughout the map, with large VC multipliers for the first five games played each day. These games are referred to as Garage Hoops.
  • NPCs can be also be found throughout the game world, and will provide quests/objectives. These NPCs will have coloured arrows over their heads indicating that they can be interacted with. Quests will involve playing various games throughout The City, with unique clothing/accessories up for grabs.
  • The Gatorade Gym has been expanded with a second floor. The first floor contains all of the familiar gym requipment, while the second floor contains Rental Courts where you can play uninterrupted games with friends and other gamers you meet in The City.
  • There are a couple of unaffiliated courts, including the Black Mamba Court which pays tribute to Kobe Bryant. You can also earn a fire ball (similar to the one that's been available in MyTEAM), and the Pink Diamond Plaza hosts all MyTEAM Triple Threat Online games.
  • Familiar stores are returning along with some new ones, including two called Alter Ego and Drip Brothers.
  • Affiliations have returned, and there are four to choose from: North Side Knights, South City Vipers, Beasts of the East, and Western Wildcats. As previously mentioned, each Affiliation is tied to one of the four boroughs.
  • Once you reach Pro 1 in Rookieville, you'll be assigned an Affiliation. You can change this Affiliation, however doing so will reset your Rep level back to Pro 1. Playing on your own affiliated courts will earn more Rep. There will also be inter-borough competition in the form of Rival Day Conquest, and Rival Day Championship.
  • Each Affiliation will be represented by a Mayor, who will be a prominent influencer in the NBA 2K community. Mayors will create videos, design courts and murals, customise playlists, and select uniforms for their "citizens". Every six weeks, there will be elections for the next Mayor of each borough.
  • A MyPLAYER will need to keep a basketball in their inventory to take part in Garage Hoops and Rental Courts games. You can also dribble the ball as you navigate The City, and find an NPC that will teach you new moves.
  • Improvements have been made to vehicles, and it's possible to do tricks with bikes and skateboards. For those who want to mix Tony Hawks' Pro Skater with NBA 2K, it will be possible to grind rails around The City. A free, fully kitted out skateboard will be available to everyone in Decks.
  • MyPLAYER customisation has been expanded with new hairstyles, apparel, and accessories.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Re: The City Revealed for MyCAREER in NBA 2K21 Next Gen

Postby jmmontoro on Fri Nov 06, 2020 2:24 am

I get this, but NBA 2K has lost it's focus.
Pick up games should be fast and simple, we needed blacktop online with our players, not a city with bikes and other crap. And simpler gameplay, less NBA Jam, more skill.
But somehow we got GTA with hoops.
This could be fun, but I doubt they change their approach and it's just going to be a bigger neighborhood, queue up to maybe play.
jmmontoro

Postby DEIBYS2KMOD on Fri Nov 06, 2020 3:00 am

From my point of view, 2k has already lost the north, now everything is focused on a care, really that the game has lost a lot of quality, not only graphics but also ideas, it no longer seems like a serious game simulator, if not something focused on children, just by looking at the trailer in comparison nba 2k14, the trailer nba 2k21 sinceram
User Discord :arrow: DEIBYS2KMOD#1430
PC :arrow: I5 3470,8G RAM,RX480
DEIBYS2KMOD

Postby [Q] on Fri Nov 06, 2020 3:56 am

It sounds like most of the stuff from the current gen neighborhood but much bigger, designed for you to waste more time in it. Imagine how much time players would have to actually play if they didn't have to walk from mode to mode

It's scary to think about how phone apps and now video games have these super smart people spending night and day trying to figure out how to trick you into spending more time on it
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby miki_92 on Fri Nov 06, 2020 6:00 pm

Bigger neighborhood = more space for ads = stonks

This is not sports game anymore, it's open world RPG infected with MTX
miki_92

Postby Andrew on Fri Nov 06, 2020 9:31 pm

I'm in the same boat. On one hand it makes me feel old, a reminder that I'm edging out of the core demographic the further into my 30s I get, but at the same time, I don't know that I'd have ever been into this. I like GTA, I like Fallout, but when it comes to basketball games, it's the basketball I'm interested in. The Neighborhood has added so much wasted time, and while it's kind of cool that you'll be able to grind rails with a skateboard and interact with the environment on that level - as well as pretty smart, given the success of the reboot of Tony Hawk's Pro Skater - it really shouldn't be the focus.

What MyCAREER's connected experience needs is balance, fairness in its recurrent revenue mechanics, and proper matchmaking. I'm not expecting to see any of those improvements, as I feel they'd at least get a mention. They're not flashy selling points, but they're enticing features to include in an in-depth developer blog, and we didn't hear anything about them. I imagine the online scene is only going to get increasingly more unbalanced and toxic. The focus is on flash over substance, recurrent revenue and engagement numbers over positive gaming experiences.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby ThaLiveKing on Sat Nov 07, 2020 5:24 am

they had a nice TikTok billboard in the trailer lol
ThaLiveKing

Postby rickberge on Mon Nov 09, 2020 1:52 pm

Yea I just figured out today that 2k may be way bigger than we think in regard to how it influence the young crowd...I went to go shoot around at an outdoor court with my young son. Saw four guys playing 2 on 2 and one of them had a back on. A f-ing back pack on playing hoops. I just shook my head.

But yea I think this is the future of gaming. I give it 10 years. Once us guys (30 yr up crowd) phase out and the 13-24 year old crowd hit the 30 mark...its over for Myleague in regards to them giving a rats ass about it.
rickberge

Postby Andrew on Mon Nov 09, 2020 2:56 pm

Maybe, but it seems like a fair amount of younger gamers do play MyLEAGUE as well. I don't think it'll ever be dropped, but as far as it getting a significant amount of attention, that may well change.

That's crazy that kids are playing with backpacks in real life, though. Mascot costumes can't be too far away.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby [Hyperize] on Mon Nov 09, 2020 3:27 pm

I used to fantasize about stuff like this and cutscenes for the NBA Draft back in the day but now it's just meh to me. It looks like the middle building is the hub and then the five parks just branch out from the center like the shape of a star?
[Hyperize]

Postby Andrew on Mon Nov 09, 2020 8:17 pm

Four boroughs with the Event Center in the middle, yeah.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby MaxMBox on Wed Nov 11, 2020 9:06 pm

Oh. And what about peoples who doesn't want to play a park a lot and just want to play an NBA career? Or can we at least choose server's location? Cuz I live in Central Asia and the game connects me to the Chinese servers according to my geographic location. That located behind The Great Chinese Firewall for me. And thus I have timing about a second between pressing a button and action ingame. Not a good basketball I can say...
MaxMBox

Postby sticky-fingers on Wed Nov 11, 2020 9:12 pm

Andrew wrote:Blog here: https://nba.2k.com/courtside-report/nba ... de-report/

Trailer:

phpBB [video]

And my summary of the blog:

• The map for The City is much, much larger than any of the previous Neighborhoods. As the name would imply, it's a metropolis with skyscrapers, plazas, and four distinct boroughs. Each borough has its own design and Park Affiliation.
  • A MyPLAYER's journey begins in the Rookieville docks. By proving your skills, you'll be able to enter The City proper.
  • The Event Center is where all events will be held. These include events we've previously seen in The Neighborhood, and new events for Next Gen.
  • Exploration is encouraged. It will be possible to play pickup games and HORSE at hoops scattered throughout the map, with large VC multipliers for the first five games played each day. These games are referred to as Garage Hoops.
  • NPCs can be also be found throughout the game world, and will provide quests/objectives. These NPCs will have coloured arrows over their heads indicating that they can be interacted with. Quests will involve playing various games throughout The City, with unique clothing/accessories up for grabs.
  • The Gatorade Gym has been expanded with a second floor. The first floor contains all of the familiar gym requipment, while the second floor contains Rental Courts where you can play uninterrupted games with friends and other gamers you meet in The City.
  • There are a couple of unaffiliated courts, including the Black Mamba Court which pays tribute to Kobe Bryant. You can also earn a fire ball (similar to the one that's been available in MyTEAM), and the Pink Diamond Plaza hosts all MyTEAM Triple Threat Online games.
  • Familiar stores are returning along with some new ones, including two called Alter Ego and Drip Brothers.
  • Affiliations have returned, and there are four to choose from: North Side Knights, South City Vipers, Beasts of the East, and Western Wildcats. As previously mentioned, each Affiliation is tied to one of the four boroughs.
  • Once you reach Pro 1 in Rookieville, you'll be assigned an Affiliation. You can change this Affiliation, however doing so will reset your Rep level back to Pro 1. Playing on your own affiliated courts will earn more Rep. There will also be inter-borough competition in the form of Rival Day Conquest, and Rival Day Championship.
  • Each Affiliation will be represented by a Mayor, who will be a prominent influencer in the NBA 2K community. Mayors will create videos, design courts and murals, customise playlists, and select uniforms for their "citizens". Every six weeks, there will be elections for the next Mayor of each borough.
  • A MyPLAYER will need to keep a basketball in their inventory to take part in Garage Hoops and Rental Courts games. You can also dribble the ball as you navigate The City, and find an NPC that will teach you new moves.
  • Improvements have been made to vehicles, and it's possible to do tricks with bikes and skateboards. For those who want to mix Tony Hawks' Pro Skater with NBA 2K, it will be possible to grind rails around The City. A free, fully kitted out skateboard will be available to everyone in Decks.
  • MyPLAYER customisation has been expanded with new hairstyles, apparel, and accessories.

New game name mode for me : the shitty

Cant wait to see the horses from RDR2...
sticky-fingers

Return to NBA 2K21