The W

Talk about NBA 2K21 here.

The W

Postby [Q] on Fri Oct 30, 2020 4:21 pm

So they announced the expansion into the women's side that we've been expecting. TBH it actually sounds like more fun than the standard career. They mention building your wealth so you can play for fun instead of playing as a job to grind for VC

It's a shame that Live never got to this point as they seemed to have it on tap for Live 19 but didn't have time to finish and it was a near certainty for Live 20.

Live still does it better as men and women are allowed to play against each other, just like in real life. But I understand why they kept it separate in 2k. It would take too much work to add females into the neighborhood setting and they don't exactly qualify for the NBA career mode. Plus I can imagine all the sexist comments online about men vs women
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Re: The W

Postby Andrew on Fri Oct 30, 2020 5:58 pm

It's great to see them making full use of the WNBA license. As you noted, it's taking something that NBA Live introduced, and going a lot further with it. It's good to see, and it'll be something different.

Of course, I can't help feeling a bit cynical and noting that this is something that could've been done for Current Gen, and the fact that it wasn't - even just in a small way, as a preview of Next Gen - is another example of what a watered down cash grab the Current Gen version is, with features being held back just to sell Next Gen. All the same, it's a good idea moving forward, and there'll be plenty of other content for those who aren't interested in it. If you've got the license, you might as well utilise it to its full extent, and that's where NBA Live came up short.
NLSC Webmaster/Administrator
Release Topics: NBA Live 08 | NBA Live 07 | NBA Live 06 | NBA Live 2005 | NBA Live 2004
Story Topics: NBA 2K19 | NBA 2K13 | NBA Live 06 (Part 2) | NBA Live 06 (HOF) | NBA Live 2004 (HOF)
NLSC: Podcast | The Friday Five | Monday Tip-Off | Wayback Wednesday | 20th Anniversary of NBA Live | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube

Support The NLSC Hosting Fund: Patreon | GoFundMe

Like my work? Want to help out with the NLSC Hosting Fund? Please consider leaving a tip!
Andrew
Year 19
Administrator

Postby [Q] on Fri Oct 30, 2020 7:13 pm

I feel like with current gen work outsourced, they certainly did hold back to make next gen better. They knew the next generation was coming so there wasn't any incentive to put much effort into it so they sent the game out to have another team put a band-aid on it while they work on the real game

It's not the first time a company has put out a glorified roster update for a sports game and it won't be the last
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Fri Oct 30, 2020 9:46 pm

No doubt. It's even more on the nose these days because of microtransactions and the like.

For those who may have missed it, the developer blog on the new modes can be found here: https://nba.2k.com/courtside-report/nba ... de-report/

And there's also a trailer for The W.

phpBB [video]
NLSC Webmaster/Administrator
Release Topics: NBA Live 08 | NBA Live 07 | NBA Live 06 | NBA Live 2005 | NBA Live 2004
Story Topics: NBA 2K19 | NBA 2K13 | NBA Live 06 (Part 2) | NBA Live 06 (HOF) | NBA Live 2004 (HOF)
NLSC: Podcast | The Friday Five | Monday Tip-Off | Wayback Wednesday | 20th Anniversary of NBA Live | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube

Support The NLSC Hosting Fund: Patreon | GoFundMe

Like my work? Want to help out with the NLSC Hosting Fund? Please consider leaving a tip!
Andrew
Year 19
Administrator

Return to NBA 2K21