New shooting mechanics... I don't get the problem

Talk about NBA 2K21 here.

New shooting mechanics... I don't get the problem

Postby tinpanalley on Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:38 am

I'm watching lots of videos on Youtube, the official one by 2K to get the shooting and how it works. Aside from it being really confusing (because I don't think that visually the meter is a good choice of UI for what the new mechanism is), I'm not sure I get what people's problem is with it? Can someone maybe explain to me physically and from a UI/controls perspective what's not well designed about it?

My issue for example is that when I see a meter, I think 'left means too far left, right means too far right, on the line is perfect'. But left is too fast and right is too slow... how does that make sense? So is that what people don't like?
And even if that is the case, I'm sure I've hit the center perfectly and still gotten it to be that greyish yellow. So, did I do something wrong?
tinpanalley

Re: New shooting mechanics... I don't get the problem

Postby dante24 on Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:26 am

I've actually turned the shot aiming off on all fronts as aiming may work for jump shots but definitely not for layups. after you've crossed a defender evaded the help and then i've got to aim and time my layup?

I get that 2k want to make the game more competitive and create a skills gap which I definitely enjoy but basketball is a fast paced sport so you have to be delicate where you implement timing and aiming in the gameplay. But with the aiming off I like the change of having the shot stick pressed only down to take a jumper. Only thing is we lose the ability to do banked shots and other variations easily but i like the change
dante24

Postby Pdub on Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:07 pm

It can be incredibly difficult when your timing is off, because it seems to throw your aiming off as well. When you release the stick for timing too early it will still think you are aiming. I have gotten better results pushing up on the stick to shoot after pulling down rather than aiming and releasing, but it could be a placebo effect.
Everything is a copy of a copy. Eventually, it distorts enough to look original.
Pdub
Administrator
Administrator

Postby tinpanalley on Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:23 pm

Pdub wrote:It can be incredibly difficult when your timing is off, because it seems to throw your aiming off as well. When you release the stick for timing too early it will still think you are aiming. I have gotten better results pushing up on the stick to shoot after pulling down rather than aiming and releasing, but it could be a placebo effect.

I loaded up Lakers Vs Celtics, the PC version, a couple of nights ago. Every now and then I like to load up an old sports game that I spent hours on when I was younger. Because you can get stuck in the trajectory of how games develop and forget that there is something in the past you liked a lot. But the next game changes and then the next game and the next game. Anyway.. I was playing and had moments of absolute bliss stopping, setting, and holding down a button and letting go at the height of my jump. I know a stick is more like real movement (except, well, it's not at all because we don't have spring action in our elbow joints) but I've realised that the games I like most are not the ones whose controls best mirror real life (after all does anyone play The Show with analog pitching anymore?) but rather the ones that have logically placed controls such that they're the last thing on my mind when I'm playing. There's a relaxation, a total calm when playing NBA2K using just the buttons for shooting. The same calm you get from playing Lakers Vs Celtics except everything else about the 2K game is better because it's been 30 years. I don't know, for the last day I've just been playing NBA2K with button shooting and I've started actually playing the game.
tinpanalley

Return to NBA 2K21