NBA 2K21 Pre-Order Bonuses (All Editions)

Talk about NBA 2K21 here.

NBA 2K21 Pre-Order Bonuses (All Editions)

Postby Andrew on Fri Jul 03, 2020 1:09 am

Revealed here: https://nba.2k.com/buy/standard-current-gen

At a glance, it's the same general assortment of bonuses as in previous years.

Standard Edition - Current Gen

• 5,000 Virtual Currency
  • 5,000 MyTEAM Points
  • 10 MyTEAM Promo packs (delivered one a week)
  • 9 MyCAREER Skill Boosts
  • 5 pair Shoe Collection
  • Damian Lillard Digital Collection
    • Lillard MyTEAM Free Agent Card
    • Custom Lillard MyPLAYER T-shirt
    • Tissot Chrono XL NBA Watch for MyPLAYER
Standard Edition - Next Gen

• 5,000 Virtual Currency
  • 5,000 MyTEAM Points
  • 10 MyTEAM Promo packs (delivered one a week)
  • 9 MyCAREER Skill Boosts
  • 5 pair Shoe Collection
  • Zion Williamson Digital Collection
    • Zion MyTEAM Free Agent Card
    • Zion New Orleans Pelicans MyPLAYER Jersey
    • Zion MyPLAYER Dunk Animation Package
Mamba Forever Edition - Current Gen

• 100,000 Virtual Currency
  • 10,000 MyTEAM Points
  • 10 MyTEAM Tokens
  • 60 MyCAREER Skill Boosts
  • 30 Gatorade Boosts
  • 40 MyTEAM Promo Packs (10 at launch, then 3 per week)
  • Sapphire Damian Lillard and Zion Williamson MyTEAM cards
  • MyPLAYER Shoe Collection
  • MyPLAYER backpack
  • Kobe Bryant Digital Collection
  • 5 MyPLAYER Shoes
  • 3 MyPLAYER Jerseys
  • Black Mamba MyPLAYER Uniform
  • Rookie Lakers MyTEAM Jerseys
  • Black Mamba custom MyTEAM Jerseys
  • Sapphire Kobe MyTEAM Card (Evos to Ruby)
  • 5 MyTEAM Shoes (Incl. 1 Diamond)
Pre-order to receive the following digital items:

• Damian Lillard Digital Collection
    • Lillard MyTEAM Free Agent Card
    • Custom Lillard MyPLAYER T-shirt
    • Tissot Chrono XL NBA Watch for MyPLAYER
Mamba Forever Edition - Next Gen

• 100,000 Virtual Currency
  • 10,000 MyTEAM Points
  • 10 MyTEAM Tokens
  • 60 MyCAREER Skill Boosts
  • 30 Gatorade Boosts
  • 40 MyTEAM Promo Packs (10 at launch, then 3 per week)
  • Sapphire Damian Lillard and Zion Williamson MyTEAM cards
  • MyPLAYER Shoe Collection
  • MyPLAYER 72 HR 2X REP Boost
  • MyPLAYER backpack and ball
  • Kobe Bryant Digital Collection
  • 5 MyPLAYER Shoes
  • 3 MyPLAYER Jerseys
  • Black Mamba MyPLAYER Uniform
  • Rookie Lakers MyTEAM Jerseys
  • Black Mamba custom MyTEAM Jerseys
  • Sapphire Kobe MyTEAM Card (Evos to Ruby)
  • 5 MyTEAM Shoes (Incl. 1 Diamond)
Pre-order to receive the following digital items:

• Zion Williamson Digital Collection
    • Zion MyTEAM Free Agent Card
    • Zion New Orleans Pelicans MyPLAYER Jersey
    • Zion MyPLAYER Dunk Animation Package
NLSC Webmaster/Administrator
Release Topics: NBA Live 08 | NBA Live 07 | NBA Live 06 | NBA Live 2005 | NBA Live 2004
Story Topics: NBA 2K19 | NBA 2K13 | NBA Live 06 (Part 2) | NBA Live 06 (HOF) | NBA Live 2004 (HOF)
NLSC: Podcast | The Friday Five | Monday Tip-Off | Wayback Wednesday | 20th Anniversary of NBA Live | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube

Support The NLSC Hosting Fund: Patreon | GoFundMe

Like my work? Want to help out with the NLSC Hosting Fund? Please consider leaving a tip!
Andrew
The One Admin
Administrator

Re: NBA 2K21 Pre-Order Bonuses (All Editions)

Postby ThePointForward on Fri Jul 03, 2020 11:31 am

Keep in mind that due to the different laws in Belgium and Netherlands, the pre-order bonuses differ there as well.

Belgium and Netherlands differences for next-gen Mamba Forever Edition:

• 200k VC (vs. 100k normal)
  • 5k MT (vs. 10k)
  • 0 MT Tokens (vs. 10)
  • 10 MyTEAM Promo packs (vs. 40)

While they do get more VC, the low amount of packs and tokens is weird.
Honestly looks like a dirty pressuring attempt.

The Dutch law basically says that as long as you do not allow sale of the content of loot boxes, you are fine. In which case Dutch gamers would just need to have disabled sale ability in AH. Buying should be fine.
The Belgium law forbids loot boxes that can be purchased with real money. In that case all that's necessary is disallowing ability to buy packs with VC and have them MT only.

The different bonuses are very weird then.
They get more VC which is in Belgium useless for MyTEAM, possibly in Netherlands too, because I'd bet it's the same build.
They get less MT (which is not the issue legally and has never been), no Tokens (which are opposite of loot boxes) and way less promo packs (where issue is potentially that you pay extra for the edition with more of them?).

Honestly this does feel like a pressure tactic.
i9-9900K, 32GB @ 3866MHz, 980 Ti Classy to be replaced by RTX 3080
https://www.twitch.tv/thepointforward

ImageImageImage
ThePointForward
Formerly Dommy73

Postby Andrew on Fri Jul 03, 2020 2:13 pm

No doubt. I mean, they directly asked gamers in those regions to petition politicians to change the legislation, which obviously wasn't very successful. If asking doesn't work, then putting the pressure on is the next step.
Release Topics: NBA Live 08 | NBA Live 07 | NBA Live 06 | NBA Live 2005 | NBA Live 2004
Story Topics: NBA 2K19 | NBA 2K13 | NBA Live 06 (Part 2) | NBA Live 06 (HOF) | NBA Live 2004 (HOF)
NLSC: Podcast | The Friday Five | Monday Tip-Off | Wayback Wednesday | 20th Anniversary of NBA Live | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube

Like my work? Want to help out with the NLSC Hosting Fund? Please consider leaving a tip!
Andrew
The One Admin
Administrator

Postby Thunder Shaq on Wed Jul 08, 2020 1:08 pm

I never understood how they consider the Auction House closer to gambling than buying packs with VC lol
Thunder Shaq

Postby Andrew on Wed Jul 08, 2020 2:16 pm

Or Ante-Up, where you can literally gamble your VC on the games you're playing.

Andrew
The One Admin
Administrator

Postby ThePointForward on Thu Jul 09, 2020 2:24 am

And if you win, you get to spin a slot machine for jackpot.

ImageImageImage
ThePointForward
Formerly Dommy73

Postby jmmontoro on Thu Jul 09, 2020 3:25 am

Thunder Shaq wrote:I never understood how they consider the Auction House closer to gambling than buying packs with VC lol

I never understood why the house takes a cut from every transaction made. That's a dick move. Not the only game though.
jmmontoro

Postby Andrew on Thu Jul 09, 2020 12:22 pm

Yeah, that one's standard in card collecting modes like MyTEAM. I'd wondered about the reasoning behind it, and looking into it, I came across this Reddit thread. The reasoning that people have put forward is that it's meant to combat inflation and stop prices from getting out of control, and to discourage sniping by encouraging everyone to set prices more reasonably.

The thing is that it hasn't stopped prices from being inflated to ridiculous amounts, mostly because of the practice of buying MT from third parties; something 2K has yet to really crack down on. OP cards also tend to break the economy one way or another, so in the end, taking a cut does little to avoid inflation, and sniping still occurs. I suppose it does discourage cards being immediately flipped for profit, but things are already out of control, so it's a drop in the bucket as far as addressing the overarching problems.

But yeah, Ante-Up is straight up gambling, yet it flies under the radar. As I said in my article that I linked to before, I assume it's because it's optional whereas the loot box mechanics of MyTEAM are a core part of the mode. Still, considering the efforts to fight against gambling mechanics in NBA 2K and other video games, it's odd that it doesn't get mentioned more often, as it's an example that helps to strengthen the argument.

Andrew
The One Admin
Administrator

Postby Thunder Shaq on Thu Jul 09, 2020 12:38 pm

2k really got away with one being able to sell virtual currency which can go into packs (that have odds and is a gamble to try to get a high rated player) and ante-up. I find the Auction House to be the furthest from gambling when it comes to utilizing in-game currency :lol:
Thunder Shaq

Postby jmmontoro on Thu Jul 09, 2020 2:55 pm

The actual gambling is standing in got next, the odds of actually playing are slim. Can't believe I actually have to queue and wait to maybe play a game I paid for.
jmmontoro

Postby Andrew on Thu Jul 09, 2020 3:32 pm

Thunder Shaq wrote:2k really got away with one being able to sell virtual currency which can go into packs (that have odds and is a gamble to try to get a high rated player) and ante-up. I find the Auction House to be the furthest from gambling when it comes to utilizing in-game currency :lol:

I agree. It has its own issues, but I wouldn't call the Auction House gambling.

jmmontoro wrote:The actual gambling is standing in got next, the odds of actually playing are slim. Can't believe I actually have to queue and wait to maybe play a game I paid for.

Good point! The lack of matchmaking has contributed to the online scene's toxicity and overall lack of quality. I get the concept behind Got Next, of course, and I understand the scenario that they're trying to replicate. However, they're simulating what's literally the most boring part of any activity: waiting in line to participate in it.

Andrew
The One Admin
Administrator

Postby sergio486 on Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:34 am

New user here! Hello everyone! :D

ThePointForward wrote:Keep in mind that due to the different laws in Belgium and Netherlands, the pre-order bonuses differ there as well.

• 5k MT (vs. 10k)
  • 0 MT Tokens (vs. 10)

Wow. I wasn't aware of those countries' laws :shock: Is it a comparable deal, though? I mean, I've noticed that not everything can be bought with VC. Also, packs seem insanely expensive when bought with VC vs MT. At least, that's my impression, anyway. Is the price of the game the same as for the rest of European countries?
sergio486

Postby ThePointForward on Wed Aug 05, 2020 4:29 am

sergio486 wrote:New user here! Hello everyone! :D

ThePointForward wrote:Keep in mind that due to the different laws in Belgium and Netherlands, the pre-order bonuses differ there as well.

• 5k MT (vs. 10k)
  • 0 MT Tokens (vs. 10)

Wow. I wasn't aware of those countries' laws :shock: Is it a comparable deal, though? I mean, I've noticed that not everything can be bought with VC. Also, packs seem insanely expensive when bought with VC vs MT. At least, that's my impression, anyway. Is the price of the game the same as for the rest of European countries?

I'm not aware of the pricing though I think it's safe to assume it will be the same.
Personally as I broke it down in that post I don't find it a fair deal, especially since it seems to not be just about complying, but more about pressuring.

ImageImageImage
ThePointForward
Formerly Dommy73

Return to NBA 2K21