Secret Box from 2K21

Talk about NBA 2K21 here.

Secret Box from 2K21

Postby TGsoGood on Tue Jun 16, 2020 12:56 am

Troydan is an influencer that part of 2K's social media campaign.
He posted this video to his social media recently.

phpBB [video]
Consider donating: http://cash.me/$TheJohnsonFamily or http://paypal.me/4TheGoods
Follow me on twitter @TGsoGood
Check me out on youtube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPydhZ ... PeRSmEVynQ
TGsoGood
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Secret Box from 2K21

Postby sticky-fingers on Tue Jun 16, 2020 1:15 am

i checked his channel, the thumbnails make me dream...

Twitter | YouTube | flickr

Retro Mods for NBA 2K20 - 2K19 - 2K17 - 2K16
sticky-fingers

Postby MrArni on Tue Jun 16, 2020 3:26 am

Wtf I just watched?
MrArni

Postby ThaLiveKing on Tue Jun 16, 2020 6:34 am

a lot of them got the same box...2k will probably have a city in the next gen game lol
ThaLiveKing

Postby ThePointForward on Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:29 pm

The full text with stuff from under the "redacted" parts:

THE NEXT GENERATION'S DIFFERENT.
2K21 IS CHANGING THE GAME.
Want to get to the BIG STAGE?
Major in AERODYNAMICS or make a splash IN THE G.
Feel THE ENERGY of a sold-out crowd.
Then make THEIR NIGHT or RUIN IT with A BUZZER BEATER.
You're about to see THE GAME from a new perspective.
Get ready.

Wait, you thought we forgot about the Neighborhood? It's the REDACTED now.

Bolded are the blacked out parts.

i9-9900K, 16GB @ 3866MHz, 980 Ti Classy to be replaced by RTX 3080
https://www.twitch.tv/thepointforward

ImageImageImage
ThePointForward
Formerly Dommy73

Postby TGsoGood on Wed Jun 17, 2020 12:32 am

2K21 IS CHANGING THE GAME.
Want to get to the BIG STAGE?
Major in AERODYNAMICS or make a splash IN THE G.

This seems like its hinting at G-League and College prior to getting to the NBA (Big Stage).
But the Aerodynamics could be a reference to Dunking, just like "make a splash" could be a reference to shooting.
I still think "In The G" means G-League.
"Big Stage" could also be a reference to the Draft stage.
Consider donating: http://cash.me/$TheJohnsonFamily or http://paypal.me/4TheGoods
Follow me on twitter @TGsoGood
Check me out on youtube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPydhZ ... PeRSmEVynQ
TGsoGood
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Andrew on Wed Jun 17, 2020 2:08 am

The idea of expanding The Neighborhood into a fully fleshed out game world is intriguing, but also concerning. It suggests a further drift away from a game with core mechanics aimed at hardcore basketball fans, instead targeting gamers in general. And look, I'm not trying to engage in gatekeeping here, because there's too much of that these days. However, it isn't an absurd notion to suggest that an NBA sim should focus on being a simulation of the NBA, and building its wider experiences upon that.

With that being said, The Neighborhood is getting rather stale and uninspired as a game world hub. Events are fairly repetitive, and there's not really any benefit to exploring it apart from general curiosity to see what kind of details are hidden in the back alleys. If they're going more open world with the idea, that's interesting. Potentially very frustrating, as it's already annoying having to run around to different shops and buildings to get cosmetic items or load into MyCOURT, training, and connected modes like 2K Pro-Am and The Rec. Nevertheless, there's also the potential for a more in-depth and dynamic experience in between games; something engaging.

Of course, it would also mean more advertising, more ways of encouraging microtransactions with things to spend VC on. Furthermore, they can re-brand and expand The Neighborhood all they like, but if there continues to be no proper, in-depth matchmaking criteria and options in the Pro-Am modes, no matchmaking and a whole lot of toxicity in The Playground, unbalanced builds, shaky servers, and everything else that's currently dragging down the online experience in NBA 2K, it's going to amount to little more than a fresh coat of paint and cynical cash grab. These bells and whistles look great in trailers and they sucker a lot of people in year after year, only to discover familiar problems with the actual gaming experience. I'm interested to see what they've come up with, but also wary.

As for MyCAREER, being able to play in the G-League again for more than just a portion of the story would be interesting. In fact, if we have different options - different starting points and paths for our MyPLAYER to take - then that would be a great evolution of the concept, especially seeing as how the stories have generally boiled down to the same tale and basically been on rails. There's potential here, too. Of course, once again there are legacy issues with the amount of grinding that's necessary (and push towards buying VC if you want to skip that grind), and if they aren't resolved then it's going to be an all-too familiar experience with a few new (and ultimately superficial) wrinkles.

I'll admit that it's difficult not to approach these things with a certain amount of cynicism after so many years playing basketball games, covering them for the NLSC, and experiencing the hype, hoopla, and yes, misdirection, of many preview seasons. I'd honestly like to get more excited about things. Past disappointments and frustration have taught me to temper expectations though, so that I'm pleasantly surprised by being wrong rather than let down by something that doesn't live up to the marketing hype.
NLSC Webmaster/Administrator
Release Topics: NBA Live 08 | NBA Live 07 | NBA Live 06 | NBA Live 2005 | NBA Live 2004
Story Topics: NBA 2K19 | NBA 2K13 | NBA Live 06 (Part 2) | NBA Live 06 (HOF) | NBA Live 2004 (HOF)
NLSC: Podcast | The Friday Five | Monday Tip-Off | Wayback Wednesday | 20th Anniversary of NBA Live | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube

Support The NLSC Hosting Fund: Patreon | GoFundMe

Like my work? Want to help out with the NLSC Hosting Fund? Please consider leaving a tip!
Andrew
The One Admin
Administrator

Postby [Q] on Wed Jun 17, 2020 4:25 am

I think they could be not referring to the in-game neighborhood but your neighborhood in a story kind of way.
BUT knowing the way they do things, they could be using the Neighborhood for the launch of all myCareer aspects, including advancing the story, editing your player, adding attributes using VC, etc.

I think with the new rules, they're going to allow you to either go to college or join the G-League select team as some high school kids are doing now. It would be an easy thing to do since the team will be playing exhibition games and not actually participate in the league
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Wed Jun 17, 2020 5:13 am

They pretty much do that with The Neighborhood already, so I imagine it'd be expanding on that further in the name of it being more immersive...which could also translate to intrusive, which is my concern. Then again, I'd like to have a clean break with MyCAREER anyway, so it's something I could personally avoid. I still want it to be the best possible experience it can be though, not only in case I change my mind, but for everyone who plays MyCAREER and the connected modes, and has to endure the problems of the past few games.
NLSC Webmaster/Administrator
Release Topics: NBA Live 08 | NBA Live 07 | NBA Live 06 | NBA Live 2005 | NBA Live 2004
Story Topics: NBA 2K19 | NBA 2K13 | NBA Live 06 (Part 2) | NBA Live 06 (HOF) | NBA Live 2004 (HOF)
NLSC: Podcast | The Friday Five | Monday Tip-Off | Wayback Wednesday | 20th Anniversary of NBA Live | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube

Support The NLSC Hosting Fund: Patreon | GoFundMe

Like my work? Want to help out with the NLSC Hosting Fund? Please consider leaving a tip!
Andrew
The One Admin
Administrator

Return to NBA 2K21