NBA 2K20 Jersey Creation Guide using GIMP (for beginners) | Where to Start

Modding tutorials and other resources for NBA 2K20.

NBA 2K20 Jersey Creation Guide using GIMP (for beginners) | Where to Start

Postby kobedurant on Wed Apr 29, 2020 4:37 am

im still working on the guide, once its finished i'll copy and paste each section over my replies below
theres probably going to be a lot to this, since I want to be as thorough as possible, hence why there will be several placeholder posts made by me in the replies to keep all the tutorial bits at the top

If I include any misinformation or if any parts are confusing, unclear, etc, please reply so I can make any changes accordingly.

Sections of Guide:

Starting Off

The Most Useful Tools in GIMP

Step by Step Example
Last edited by kobedurant on Wed Apr 29, 2020 8:07 am, edited 5 times in total.
This topic was moved from NBA 2K20 by Andrew on Wed Apr 29, 2020 2:45 pm.
Image ImageImage
kobedurant

Re: NBA 2K20 Jersey Creation Guide using GIMP (for beginners) | Where to Start

Tools Needed Before Starting

GIMP is essentially a free version of photoshop. In my opinion, it seems ideal for people to use who don't have photoshop and seems perfect for those who want to dip their toe into modding NBA 2K (specifically jerseys, courts, crowds, menu screens, etc).

Make sure to install these links below before getting started
GIMP: https://www.gimp.org/
GIMP dds plugin: https://code.google.com/archive/p/gimp-dds/
7zip: https://www.7-zip.org/
notepad++: https://notepad-plus-plus.org/

Also needed is a file exporter, one of these two will do (your preference as to which)
(both have video tutorials by TGsoGood, to help setup if you have not used the programs before)

gregkwaste's exporter:
viewtopic.php?p=1863961#p1863961
setup tutorial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-c7gDA6Km_M

looyh's exporter
viewtopic.php?p=2001039#p2001039
setup tutorial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51-nYMTCyQU

And lastly, I converted Rob Davis' jersey template to work with GIMP
https://mega.nz/file/I0U3CYrT#ph8InvEOC ... i7OIWsKhF0

Starting Off

After installing everything, the first step I'd recommend is to extract three files from NBA 2K20 (a jersey, font, and tweak file). Ideally the 3 files you choose to extract would look somewhat similar to the one you have in mind to create so you have a good reference point. If not at the very least, after you extract some variation of these files, you'd have a base file that formatted in a way you know is fully capable of running in game. An example of the three files would look like this:

Code: Select all
1C                                           u012uta_current_home.iff 44585201613 4868836
1C           clothing/clothing_resource_u012uta_current_home_font.iff 44590398292 946060
1C          clothing/clothing_resource_u012uta_current_home_tweak.iff 44591344352 190030

I would then make a backup copy of those 3 files (just in case)

The next step is to make sure you have set the file types to open by default with the proper programs
To do so, right click and extract the jersey file

Then open up the folder and change the defaults through the open with option

.dds -> gimp
.TXTR -> notepad
.RDAT -> notepad++ (does not work in default notepad)

You can delete that extracted folder after, since it is no longer needed

Next, open the archive and see the files you will be editing with gimp

The jersey_color & shorts_color dds files are the two files you'll want to edit first. If you open both of these two up, you can see the main texture used in game.
Last edited by kobedurant on Wed Apr 29, 2020 7:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
Image ImageImage
kobedurant

The Most Useful Tools in GIMP

The magic wand looking tool is the most useful aspect of GIMP. Basically what it does is it allows you to mass select pixels. The threshold level changes the similarity of the colors of pixels.

So for instance, say with this pink razorbacks jersey in the picture, if you make the threshold higher, and select the pink color from the jersey, you could also end up selecting the white in the NBA logo accidentally. This is because like pink, white is a brighter color, and the threshold makes your selection broader. However, if you decrease the threshold, the variety of color you select decreases. So in theory, you'd want to set it at that perfect value where the NBA logo isn't effected at all, but you select enough around the black nike logo/razorback font to not look out of place and have unreplaced pixels.

By pressing U on the keyboard, it'll automatically switch to this tool
Also, hold shift while left clicking with that tool while selecting to add selections
and holding ctrl and while left clicking with the tool removes from your selection

The next useful tool is the color picker. Pretty much speaks for itself
By pressing O on the keyboard, it'll automatically switch to this tool

You can click those little arrows to flip the colors (i.e. in the screenshot flip from green to white as your primary color)
By pressing X on the keyboard, it'll automatically switch to this tool
Press D on the keyboard to switch the colors back to the default black and white

The paint bucket tool is great after using the magic wand, since it can mass replace a color in your selection
By holding down shift and pressing B on the keyboard, it'll automatically switch to this tool

Last two tools I'll talk about are the select tools. I use these when I can't find the perfect threshold from the magic wand, and I have some pixels that didn't change. Then after I select what I want to change, I'd use the paint bucket again.

By pressing R on the keyboard, it'll automatically switch to the rectangle select tool
By pressing F on the keyboard, it'll automatically switch to the free select tool
Last edited by kobedurant on Wed Apr 29, 2020 7:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
kobedurant

Postby kobedurant on Wed Apr 29, 2020 4:38 am

GIMP in Action! (Step by Step example)

This is a link to download the jersey used in the following tutorial
https://mega.nz/file/xlk00A6b#b0v9VxSfG ... jBW4FP-5Ao

So for this example, I have my template open, and I used the open archive in 7zip to open the shorts_color file in gimp. (make sure not to close the 7zip window)

Right now I have a random Nuggets shorts file open. With it theres all these mini map layers. You can completely ignore those. However, that main_surface layer is really important, and in this example, I'll show you why

So right now I have my Nuggets shorts, and the template. (ignore my selection on the nuggets screenshots, I just forgot to deselect before taking them)
Lets say I wanted to change the waistband in the Nuggets jersey from yellow to blue
Heres how I would do it

I'd go to the template, and left click and hold the "Left leg waistband color" and drag it all the way up to my preview of the Nuggets shorts
Wait a couple seconds while holding down the left click, then when gimp switches the window from the template to the shorts, drag and drop it in the middle of the Nuggets short preview

By doing it correctly, you should get something like this:

Off to the right, select the main surface

Then, use the color picker, select the shade of blue
Then switch back to that new layer from the template

Next use the select tool, select hold shift and select both black parts that were just added
Then use the paint bucket tool and change the black to blue

The end product should look something like this

However, we aren't quite done yet. Remember earlier I said that main surface part was very important? This is where that comes into play

Right now that new blue layer I added is the first layer, which is not good. Gimp only allows you to export that first layer, so if I saved it now, it won't work in game since the shorts layer wont be saved.
So what you have to do is merge that top layer down

This can be done by pressing the button with an arrow pointing down and three little rectangles to the left of the arrow

By doing so, this should be your result:

Now that we are all finished up with our changes, go to file and overwrite the nuggets shorts file

By overwriting, this makes sure that the file saves as the same specific dds format that is readable for NBA 2K20. DONT choose to overwrite if you haven't merged the layers together, as you will lose all other layers. You can overwrite if you are not done with editing your jersey, but you MUST make sure you have merged everything to one layer, (keep in mind this can always be undone at a different point, but not merging will make you lose all your progress on layers below)

Once you overwrite, you should see this at the top of your window, showing your changes have been saved

Last thing to do now is exit gimp
This window will pop up, you can just disregard any changes

Now go to your 7zip window and you should see this:
Press ok and you are one step closer to being able to use your mod in game!
Last edited by kobedurant on Wed Apr 29, 2020 7:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
kobedurant

Postby kobedurant on Wed Apr 29, 2020 4:38 am

placeholder post
kobedurant

Re: *WIP*NBA 2K20 Jersey Creation Guide using GIMP (for beginners) | Where to Start

Postby kobedurant on Wed Apr 29, 2020 6:11 am

placeholder post
Image ImageImage
kobedurant

Re: *WIP*NBA 2K20 Jersey Creation Guide using GIMP (for beginners) | Where to Start

Postby kobedurant on Wed Apr 29, 2020 6:11 am

this should be the last placeholder post :)
kobedurant

Postby kobedurant on Wed Apr 29, 2020 7:29 am

i lied
Last edited by kobedurant on Wed Apr 29, 2020 7:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image ImageImage
kobedurant

Postby kobedurant on Wed Apr 29, 2020 7:55 am

I just added the very first steps, along with an example to get you familiar with using GIMP. I'm a bit tutorial'd out at the moment, but if anyone has any questions they'd like answered, I'll try to incorporate it whenever I add more to this
Image ImageImage
kobedurant

Postby jeremiahsabado284 on Mon May 04, 2020 1:24 am

Im glad i found this thread! Lot of things to learn on jersey modding!
My question is if im making ah custom jersey. For example a military theme jersey. How can i add a camouflage photo as the color fill of the jersey. For example if i would like to put a camouflage texure to waistband how do i do that? Thanks!
jeremiahsabado284

Postby jeremiahsabado284 on Mon May 04, 2020 1:36 am

I wish that you cover more on doing a personal jersey. Like putting deisgns logos more stuff on creating personal jerseys.
Great thread BTW! IT'S A BANNGER for sure!
jeremiahsabado284

Postby jeremiahsabado284 on Mon May 04, 2020 1:37 am

I wish that you cover more on doing a personal jersey. Like putting deisgns logos more stuff on creating personal jerseys.
Great thread BTW! IT'S A BANNGER for sure!
jeremiahsabado284

Return to NBA 2K20 Tutorials & FAQs