Jukebox Music Discovery w/ NBA 2k Exporter

A hub for everything related to NBA 2K20 modding. Releases, previews, requests, and other modding discussion belongs here.

Jukebox Music Discovery w/ NBA 2k Exporter

Postby Mahmood on Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:02 am

Hey guys, with Looyh's 2k Exporter out now, I decided to delve back into Jukebox Modding with a new mindset. I've managed to extract all of the Jukebox files, but I've found that they will not open in Audacity. They are 'unrecognized'.
However, I just may have found a workaround.
If you take any of the files that cannot be opened, and rename it after the first jukebox file, 000000-000000-000000-000000-000000-000000, it will begin to work and play in Audacity.
So, technically, if we were to change the song in the file, save to the correct requirements and then rename it back to the original, I think we might be able to modify the Jukebox music. I'll be working on this today. If I manage to get it working I'll let you know, if any of you guys try this and get it to work, please let me know!
I've modded for 4 games (2K20, 2K21, 2K22, 2K23) and don't plan on stopping!
PM if you have questions or need anything, I'm always around!
You can call me Mood. :)
----------------------------------------
Mahmood
"Mood"

Re: Jukebox Music Discovery w/ NBA 2k Exporter

Postby kidhybrid89 on Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:18 am

Mahmood wrote:Hey guys, with Looyh's 2k Exporter out now, I decided to delve back into Jukebox Modding with a new mindset. I've managed to extract all of the Jukebox files, but I've found that they will not open in Audacity. They are 'unrecognized'.
If you take any of the files that cannot be opened, and rename it after the first jukebox file, 000000-000000-000000-000000-000000-000000, it will begin to work and play in Audacity.
So, technically, if we were to change the song in the file, save to the correct requirements and then rename it back to the original, I think we might be able to modify the Jukebox music. I'll be working on this today. If I manage to get it working I'll let you know, if any of you guys try this and get it to work, please let me know!

This is great news. Let us know if it works or if you figure anything else out. Would be an amazing fix/add on.
kidhybrid89

Postby Mahmood on Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:28 am

kidhybrid89 wrote:
Mahmood wrote:Hey guys, with Looyh's 2k Exporter out now, I decided to delve back into Jukebox Modding with a new mindset. I've managed to extract all of the Jukebox files, but I've found that they will not open in Audacity. They are 'unrecognized'.

This is great news. Let us know if it works or if you figure anything else out. Would be an amazing fix/add on.

Thanks man! By the way, is jukebox music still imported in OGG or .wav form? Gonna run a first test soon.
Mahmood
"Mood"

Postby zondac12 on Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:35 am

would love to have custom menu music :mrgreen:
zondac12

Postby USMarineSoldier on Thu Apr 02, 2020 1:45 pm

Great discovery hopefully we can get the TNT, NBA on NBC, and ESPN presentation music again.
USMarineSoldier

Postby Mahmood on Thu Apr 02, 2020 1:47 pm

USMarineSoldier wrote:Great discovery hopefully we can get the TNT, NBA on NBC, and ESPN presentation music again.

If Looyh updates this tool with an importing function then we're back in business. Currently, those files are in Archive 3J I believe and we can't access that in 2k17 explorer. No current way to import unless i'm mistaken.
Mahmood
"Mood"

Postby kidhybrid89 on Thu Apr 02, 2020 4:27 pm

I'm making some progress on this. Will post the details if it works.
kidhybrid89

Postby Doctor Kicks on Thu Apr 02, 2020 4:50 pm

woahh! way to go Sir! this is gonna be lit!
Doctor Kicks

Postby johnwest1985 on Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:53 pm

Great news !! Imagine some retro music or TNT stuff. Im soooo tired of the modern stuff ;) yes im 30+ LOL
johnwest1985

Postby kidhybrid89 on Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:22 pm

So here's what I have so far... I've managed to get all the files to play in Audacity and exported into the wagui file with the correct file path/additional folders. The issue so far is that it plays no sound but it does in fact replace the previous files in it's place. So we're on the right path. I think the issue now is the type of file/size. Might be some correlation to a directory file that may need some editing as well, I'm not sure. I'm going to look more into it tonight when I get some free time.
kidhybrid89

Postby Dee4Three on Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:04 pm

kidhybrid89 wrote:So here's what I have so far... I've managed to get all the files to play in Audacity and exported into the wagui file with the correct file path/additional folders. The issue so far is that it plays no sound but it does in fact replace the previous files in it's place. So we're on the right path. I think the issue now is the type of file/size. Might be some correlation to a directory file that may need some editing as well, I'm not sure. I'm going to look more into it tonight when I get some free time.

I've already gone down this road, and have tried so many different file types of different sizes, and they just wont play in game. I've tried importing in 2K17 explorer (like my tutorial shows) as well in many different formats, and again the songs wont play in game.

With NBA 2K15 through 2K17, I always converted the songs in audacity to .ogg, and imported into explorer, and it always worked. The explorer tool import function in 2K17 for some reason isnt programmed appropriately for 2K20. Everything you are trying right now I tried when the game first came out, and again later on. Being able to customize the jukebox music is important for me, and I've been doing it since 2K13.

The folder file path thing didnt work for 2K17, either. The only way it worked for me was by importing directly through 2K17 explorer. And, the only time you would lose the music you imported is if you had to verify game cache through steam.

Best of luck to you with further research, but unfortunately none of this is groundbreaking at the moment, these things have already been tried.

Looyh might be best fit to figure this out, as he has proven to be quite the programmer. But I dont want to discourage you from trying. And if you figure it out... Great!!
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Check out my YouTube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvHJXrqit8Dc6HBY5P6EmAA

Follow me on Twitter

https://twitter.com/Dee4Three84
Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby Mahmood on Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:10 am

Dee4Three wrote:
kidhybrid89 wrote:So here's what I have so far... I've managed to get all the files to play in Audacity and exported into the wagui file with the correct file path/additional folders. The issue so far is that it plays no sound but it does in fact replace the previous files in it's place. So we're on the right path. I think the issue now is the type of file/size. Might be some correlation to a directory file that may need some editing as well, I'm not sure. I'm going to look more into it tonight when I get some free time.

I've already gone down this road, and have tried so many different file types of different sizes, and they just wont play in game. I've tried importing in 2K17 explorer (like my tutorial shows) as well in many different formats, and again the songs wont play in game.

With NBA 2K15 through 2K17, I always converted the songs in audacity to .ogg, and imported into explorer, and it always worked. The explorer tool import function in 2K17 for some reason isnt programmed appropriately for 2K20. Everything you are trying right now I tried when the game first came out, and again later on. Being able to customize the jukebox music is important for me, and I've been doing it since 2K13.

The folder file path thing didnt work for 2K17, either. The only way it worked for me was by importing directly through 2K17 explorer. And, the only time you would lose the music you imported is if you had to verify game cache through steam.

Best of luck to you with further research, but unfortunately none of this is groundbreaking at the moment, these things have already been tried.

Looyh might be best fit to figure this out, as he has proven to be quite the programmer. But I dont want to discourage you from trying. And if you figure it out... Great!!

Hey Dee! I've seen you talk about this many times so I knew that you're experienced with the jukebox stuff. I think if we can get a more up-to-date importing tool then we can successfully replace the music. Really want to figure this out, I want to put in some of the classic 2k songs. :D :bowdown:
Mahmood
"Mood"

Postby johnwest1985 on Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:17 am

My guess is that 2k has put in some effort into stopping modders from changing these files by some coding. Its a commercial issue
johnwest1985

Postby kidhybrid89 on Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:57 am

I've managed to add some different audio effects into the game through the WAIGUA folder already but can't figure out the jukebox issues yet. Seems to have some type of specific coding blocking the jukebox audio in particular. I do think the general presentation audio can be changed through this method though.

I'm going to keep working on the Jukebox stuff though before I just attribute it all to coding. And if that's the case, I'll see what I can do about trying to find that specific part. Because if we can find it (if it does indeed exist) then we should be able to rewrite or override it using a simple tool. I used to code but it's been quite a while. So I'll see what I can do but I still have a few work-arounds that I wanted to try to before I start going through that whole process.
Last edited by kidhybrid89 on Fri Apr 03, 2020 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kidhybrid89

Postby looyh on Fri Apr 03, 2020 2:08 pm

I test it last night, you can use waigua to overload wav files, 2K just added a special file header to ogg, I will create a simple tool to convert the format
looyh

Postby cujomatty on Fri Apr 03, 2020 2:16 pm

looyh wrote:I test it last night, you can use waigua to overload wav files, 2K just added a special file header to ogg, I will create a simple tool to convert the format

Wow huge news!!!!!!!
Raptors Basketball-Proudly Canadian
cujomatty

Postby Mahmood on Fri Apr 03, 2020 3:37 pm

looyh wrote:I test it last night, you can use waigua to overload wav files, 2K just added a special file header to ogg, I will create a simple tool to convert the format

This is amazing Looyh! Glad you're with us on this! Looking forward to the tool!!!!!!
Mahmood
"Mood"

Postby RobDavis on Fri Apr 03, 2020 4:50 pm

Looyh is the GOAT!
Producer | YouTuber
Creator of Fictional College Hoops PC Mod NBA 2K19/20/21
Sub to My Youtube Channel Below
YouTube

Fictional College Hoops 2K23 Mod
Fictional College Hoops 2K21 Mod
Fictional College Hoops 2K20 Mod
Fictional College Hoops 2K19 Mod
RobDavis

Postby DaPrazident5B on Fri Apr 03, 2020 5:05 pm

Looyh...

You're THE man.
You should have your jersey retired in all of our homes.
DaPrazident5B

Postby johnwest1985 on Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:22 pm

Looyh you are the OG !!!! Looking forward to starting my game with "basketball - by Kurtis Blow" :)
johnwest1985

Postby Shuajota on Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:16 pm

Thanks a lot Looyh for your hard work! Impressive.
Shuajota
NBA2K Mods: www.shuajota.com

Return to NBA 2K20 Modding