2k14 skin lighting preview

A hub for everything related to NBA 2K19 modding. Releases, previews, requests, and other modding discussion belongs here.

2k14 skin lighting preview

Postby michaelvlutz49 on Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:19 am

all new shader.

preview
phpBB [video]
Last edited by michaelvlutz49 on Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
michaelvlutz49

Re: NEED HELP with this 2k14 lighting

Postby Dee4Three on Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:47 am

I think the problem with calling a lot of these "2K14 lighting" is that they really don't look like 2K14. The reason is, the players on these 2K14 lighting mods look glossy as opposed to just having the appropriate increase lighting, and shine in the right places.

Looking at this screen, this doesn't look like 2K14 to me. This looks like an oversaturated image with glossy players/floor.

Another key factor: The court colors needs to be right, and that Bulls court looks dark and blah. One thing that stands out with 2K14 is that the courts truly stand out and are bright and awesome. This is so important because of how much the courts look adds to the overall experience.

And this isnt a knock on your mods, either. You have made a lot of people happy over the years with your lighting mods for the various basketball games, I used your mods for 2K19 (turning off volumetric lighting in game gave me the result I wanted).

But I think if you are going for the 2K14 look, the most important items would be:

1. Better crowd lighting
2. Floor reflections that stand out
3. Lighting on players increased yet not with a glossy look, not completely overdone.
4. Making the textures look more SOLID as opposed to washed out

DEIBYS did a good job overall on his Pelicans stadium achieving better lighting for the crowd, players, and on the court, without making the game look overly glossy and saturated. Does it look like 2K14? Not exactly. But it does partly give us what we loved about 2K14, which is better lighting on the floor/players/crowd.

Below is the gameplay video I uploaded with that lighting. Better crowd/floor/player lighting, but not overdone.

Just some thoughts on this!

phpBB [video]
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Check out my YouTube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvHJXrqit8Dc6HBY5P6EmAA

Follow me on Twitter

https://twitter.com/Dee4Three84
Dee4Three
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Simonn-Lee on Tue Mar 24, 2020 2:31 pm

As for me, I'm thinking the same thing as D43

We all love what u have done in these courts, they look great, but still don't feel like 2K14 :crazyeyes: . As we can compare with some screenshots:

The video that D43 drop above, does give me a bit of 2K14's feel, especially the lights on the players -- that special feeling in 2K14

BTW I have seen some comments on your 2k14 courts mod are like: "Wow this graphic is great! Wait...does it look 2K14 lighting?.." "The players are like sculptures, feel like plastic without the sweat"..etc. Maybe the problem is it's oversaturated.

Imo actually your another courts mod gives me a bit 2K14's feeling: https://forums.nba-live.com/viewtopic.php?f=258&t=108125

The lights, the reflections on skin. And this mod is relatively simple, no need to change too many files

The floor reflection is already good in default 2K20, perhaps it needs a little bit of fog and lights on players to get the 2K14 feels

But to me, nothing feels more 2K14 than the actual 2K14 game, even with true 2K14 graphic mods, the gameplay and the atmosphere are still 2K20. If I really wanna get some 2K14 feeling, I prefer to launch my PS4 console

Just some thoughts!
Simonn-Lee

Postby martoluthor on Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:55 am

This is the closest i get using reshade
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5KQNcIFdC-s
martoluthor

Return to NBA 2K20 Modding