Should I buy this game

Talk about NBA 2K20 here.

Should I buy this game

Postby DaCrispy on Sun Feb 16, 2020 5:11 am

Hello everyboday, I have been absent from 2K for about a year now or something and the all-star weekend has gotten me back into basketball.
Seeing the game available for 20 euro is it worth it?

What are the best mods going atm and is it much of an upgrade from 2K19.

I don't got the time to research everything so sorry if I am coming across as lazy lol

Thanks in advance (Y)
The NLSC's resident Jimmermaniac

Specialize in modding NBA 2K11 + 14 and making Tutorials on how to do it :cool:

YouTube | G-League Story Thread | Discord | Facebook Group | 2K11 G-League Update | 2K11 Update Mods | NCAA Basketball 18 | College Hoops 2K11

If you are a fan of my work please consider a donation. Any amount is greatly appreciated
DaCrispy
Jimmmermaniac
Contributor

Re: Should I buy this game

Postby sticky-fingers on Sun Feb 16, 2020 6:18 am

Not a precise answer but IMO 2K20 is a downgrade. 2K19 is better IMO ... but 2K15 and 2K16 are better :D

But on the other side, 2K20 is the most open modding game of this generation.
Looyh amazing Hook tool allow us to create UBR/URB mods. And we dont know what will happen on next gen.
YouTube | flickr

Retro Mods for NBA 2K20 - 2K19 - 2K17 - 2K16
sticky-fingers

Postby Dee4Three on Sun Feb 16, 2020 7:17 am

With the proper slider adjustments, coupled with the mods, it is worth it (especially on sale)

The game has it's fair share of issues, which are centered around player movement and canned animations. But, you can still get some enjoyment out of it.

Here is some gameplay (game highlights) between my brother and I with some of my slider tweaks. I'm the Pelicans, and It was overall a fun game. I have quite a few mods in the game to add to authenticity. But, this is the games current build with my slider tweaks.

phpBB [video]

And while I agree that overall 2K19 is probably better from a gameplay standpoint, as is 2K15/2K16/2K17, I think that it being the newest title and having some good qualities makes it worth the buy for you.

Either way, let us know what you decide! And if you get it, let us know how you are liking it!
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Check out my YouTube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvHJXrqit8Dc6HBY5P6EmAA

Follow me on Twitter

https://twitter.com/Dee4Three84
Dee4Three
Contributor
Contributor

Postby DaCrispy on Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:43 am

Thanks for the response guys.
Hearing about the new modding potential is great however I probably won't be giving my 20 euro to 2K if mods are required for it to be an upgrade sadly.
I can see myself getting it if it comes down even further but for now, I'm gonna go back to 2K19 and 2K11.
What are your thoughts on the MyCareer and MyGM by the way, the aspects that are guaranteed to be new.
Also when I briefly checked in last year Ronnie 2K had become the worlds most hated man cos of Agent 00 and his treatment of the community and that so has something changed that he should be in the celebrity game lmao that made me go bruh

Thanks again :applaud:
The NLSC's resident Jimmermaniac

Specialize in modding NBA 2K11 + 14 and making Tutorials on how to do it :cool:

YouTube | G-League Story Thread | Discord | Facebook Group | 2K11 G-League Update | 2K11 Update Mods | NCAA Basketball 18 | College Hoops 2K11

If you are a fan of my work please consider a donation. Any amount is greatly appreciated
DaCrispy
Jimmmermaniac
Contributor

Postby Andrew on Sun Feb 16, 2020 10:34 pm

MyLEAGUE is about the same as last year, which is to say deep and solid, though there are familiar legacy issues. From what I've heard, MyGM 2.0 is hit and miss, though it's better if you don't want to get involved with the leaderboards, as that lifts some of the restrictions.

MyCAREER feels less grindy this year, which is nice. The new pie chart system for player builds - replacing the MyPLAYER Archetypes - isn't as good as we were led to believe during the preview season. It does allow for some flexibility and if you have any interest in playing online, the metagaming aspect is a must. It's solid though, and you can level up to a decent Overall with reasonable Badge progress more quickly than last year.
NLSC Webmaster/Administrator
Release Topics: NBA Live 08 | NBA Live 07 | NBA Live 06 | NBA Live 2005 | NBA Live 2004
Story Topics: NBA 2K19 | NBA 2K13 | NBA Live 06 (Part 2) | NBA Live 06 (HOF) | NBA Live 2004 (HOF)
NLSC: Podcast | The Friday Five | Monday Tip-Off | Wayback Wednesday | 20th Anniversary of NBA Live | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube

Support The NLSC Hosting Fund: Patreon | GoFundMe

Like my work? Want to help out with the NLSC Hosting Fund? Please consider leaving a tip!
Andrew
The One Admin
Administrator

Postby trekfan1013 on Wed Feb 19, 2020 1:28 am

Was wondering if I should pick this up myself -- are there good retro rosters out there for the game?

I'm in a major nostalgia mood at the moment and I'm replaying a classic season on 2K19, but if there are good rosters out there for 20, I'm early enough into the MyLeague that I can switch it up without terrible issue.
trekfan1013

Postby Dee4Three on Wed Feb 19, 2020 1:42 am

trekfan1013 wrote:Was wondering if I should pick this up myself -- are there good retro rosters out there for the game?

I'm in a major nostalgia mood at the moment and I'm replaying a classic season on 2K19, but if there are good rosters out there for 20, I'm early enough into the MyLeague that I can switch it up without terrible issue.

Thunder Shaq has a solid retro roster here that adds a ton of classic teams.

It's not a single season roster, but it may scratch your itch.

Also, FYI -I do think it's worth picking up.

viewtopic.php?f=258&t=107928&view=unread#unread
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Check out my YouTube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvHJXrqit8Dc6HBY5P6EmAA

Follow me on Twitter

https://twitter.com/Dee4Three84
Dee4Three
Contributor
Contributor

Postby trekfan1013 on Wed Feb 19, 2020 1:59 am

Dee4Three wrote:
trekfan1013 wrote:Was wondering if I should pick this up myself -- are there good retro rosters out there for the game?

Thunder Shaq has a solid retro roster here that adds a ton of classic teams.

It's not a single season roster, but it may scratch your itch.

Also, FYI -I do think it's worth picking up.

viewtopic.php?f=258&t=107928&view=unread#unread

I've been eyeing that one, yeah, I'm very intrigued by it -- looks like it has a lot of great teams I could use for a 90s MyLeague or an early 2000s one. That roster is one of the reasons I'm asking the question, I really quite liked 2K19 a lot and if 20 is more of the same, I'm good with that, just not at full price. At 20 bucks though, it's a steal I think. Thanks for the feedback :)
trekfan1013

Postby sticky-fingers on Wed Feb 19, 2020 3:57 am

If you have 2K19, Thunder Shaq made a solid roster too ;)
You have also Classic Seasons Mod :P
And IMO, the CPU plays better.

DaCrispy wrote:Thanks for the response guys.
What are your thoughts on the MyCareer and MyGM by the way, the aspects that are guaranteed to be new.

None, sorry, i dont play those modes.
YouTube | flickr

sticky-fingers

Postby trekfan1013 on Wed Feb 19, 2020 4:24 am

sticky-fingers wrote:If you have 2K19, Thunder Shaq made a solid roster too ;)
You have also Classic Seasons Mod :P
And IMO, the CPU plays better.

I am rolling with the classic seasons mod now, I'm very much enjoying it -- for the first time in a long time, I'm getting a challenge from the CPU (I'm 2-2 in games, lost to the Knicks and Pistons, won against the Hawks and Suns). It's one of the reasons I'm not 100% sold on 2K20 -- the only, only thing that bothers me is that I'm locked into the classic uniforms via the classic mod roster; I really want to have all the uniforms unlocked AND have the classic players assigned, but I'm not sure if that roster is capable of doing that (I'd guess not).

As such, I may jump to 2K20 with ThunderShaq's roster (assuming it's also not locked into just two uniforms) and roll out a classic-ish MyLeague there, if I can manage it. I'd really like an early-mid 90s set MyLeague roster, just before the 96 draft class, and roll from there.
trekfan1013

Postby sticky-fingers on Wed Feb 19, 2020 4:52 am

on 2K20, dmx_133 works currently on 89-90 season mod and on the next drafts.

for 2K19 jerseys, i guess it's related to CE edit. So you should be able to (r)enable the others jerseys with CE.
YouTube | flickr

sticky-fingers

Postby trekfan1013 on Wed Feb 19, 2020 5:28 am

sticky-fingers wrote:on 2K20, dmx_133 works currently on 89-90 season mod and on the next drafts.

for 2K19 jerseys, i guess it's related to CE edit. So you should be able to (r)enable the others jerseys with CE.

Oh, if so, I would very much like that. I'll have to investigate and see if I reenable those other jerseys via CE.

I'm looking at that 89-90 roster too, it looks very good. Another reason to consider 2K20.
trekfan1013

Return to NBA 2K20