NBA 2K20 now - 6 months after release

Talk about NBA 2K20 here.

NBA 2K20 now - 6 months after release

Postby Dee4Three on Tue Nov 12, 2019 6:33 am

Hi all,

Looking to gauge the pulse here, how are you feeling about this game roughly two months into the release cycle?

- Are you enjoying it more than you did at launch?
- Have the patches hurt your experience?
- Do you have the same frustrations as you did at launch?
- Do you feel about the same? (Not noticed much of a difference?)
- Are you still immersed in the game, and can you see that lasting?

Here is how I am feeling:

I think the patches have helped the defense a tad, but the defensive A.I is still pretty poor (regardless off what sliders are used). However, this is more noticeable from a HUM vs CPU perspective, as you can cover for some of it as a user in human vs human gameplay (Via ICON switching, switching up defensive assignments, putting your players in the right place to succeed on that end, switching up matchups, etc). Playing against the CPU is incredibly frustrating at times because they are easy to exploit. Run wide on the break for an easy layup, run by average defenders in the half-court or on the break, run pick n rolls for easy scores, etc. The skating is still an issue for me, and merely trying to stop to take a jumpshot is harder than it should be (And delayed), as you are skating/sliding forward unrealistically. I still have a problem with slow motion side by sides, and being sucked into other players is still an issue.

However, as I stated on the podcast and in the impressions section, I am enjoying 2K20 more than 2K18 and 2K19 (By a lot, actually). And am getting enjoyment out of it for the most part. My opinion on the game has improved since launch, and I am appreciating the direction they are going a bit more (Which makes me even more excited for the next gen version of 2K). I am enjoying the pace with slider tweaks, the diversity in driving animations, some of the cool blocking animations (Off the glass, suspended shots in the air), and the ability to execute first steps/catch and gos with players. I can use Westbrook like Westbrook, Ingram like Ingram, etc.

Here is a game I played last night against my brother (Game highlights), I am the Pelicans he is the Mavericks. Really close, fun game. We had to cover a lot for the CPU defensively, but I was able to hold him to 19 points in the first quarter.

phpBB [video]

So again, I am enjoying the game more now than at launch.

How are you enjoying NBA 2K20 at this point?
Last edited by Dee4Three on Thu Feb 27, 2020 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Check out my YouTube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvHJXrqit8Dc6HBY5P6EmAA

Follow me on Twitter

https://twitter.com/Dee4Three84
Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Re: NBA 2K20 now - Two months after release

Postby Amioran on Wed Nov 13, 2019 7:12 pm

If you want less skating one of the best ways to do it is to decrease the max speed/acceleration in the movement sliders while increasing the min values and if you want a faster pace game you increase the speed/acceleration in the attributes instead, to compensate. The more you increase the max speed/acceleration in the movement sliders and the more skating/icing etc. you will encounter (along many other issues that begin to happen, especially on AI defense), and the more the disparity between max and min and the more it happens. Also decreasing the game speed has a moderate impact on skating/icing and the more you go above 50 (but even above 48) and the less foot planting players will have. Furthermore there are certain animations this time around that actually play better at slower game speeds (the best game speed imo being in the range of 45 to 47).

Naturally you will never remove the skating/icing completely from the game (as it is an hardcoded issue that will probably be fixed - finally - for 2K21) but decreasing the max values in the movement sliders and reducing the gap between max and min, along a decreased game speed, alleviates the problem a lot.

The new motion engine is not particularly done for a fast paced game (as 15 through 17) and hence the slower the pace the less skating issues you will encounter. You obviously don't want a "play in the mud" feel but at the same time trying to replicate the fast pace of previous iterations will literally break the game and not only for what it concerns skating/icing but for many other areas as well (especially, in fact, on defense that has already quite a bit of issues per se).
Amioran

Postby johnwest1985 on Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:43 am

Two months after the game im still looking for the perfect sliders. What i found is that it requires a custom roster because 2k messed up the tendencies. Three pointers on max in sliders does not produce near the amount of threes compared to the real NBA. The game is beautifull and i like the roster updates but come one 2k... Try to make your game real life ofline and stop only focusing at the online experience. A modded 2k14 gives better gameplay right now then 2k20. Now this game has great potential. The lighting is going the right way but still it would be so easy for them to change the tendencies of players...
johnwest1985

Postby Andrew on Tue Nov 19, 2019 2:17 am

I'm liking it well enough. It's been a difficult game to rate and rank because it has its strong points, but also some undesirable design choices and sloppy bugs. A few good features in MyCAREER have been inexplicably removed, and there's been a failure to improve the core experience due to a focus on flash over substance. At the same time, it's still very playable and generally enjoyable. It's been refreshing to get back to more 5v5/non-player locked gameplay this year.

The daily login bonus in MyTEAM is a nice touch. For a moneymaking/microtransaction-driven mode, it's been quite a generous way to build up your team for free. The locker codes on Twitter haven't been as prevalent this year, but the weekly in-game code (essentially a reward for voting in the poll) helps out with some extra Tokens and MT. Overall I like the approach, it makes the mode more accessible. I'm not interested in the online modes, so I don't have to worry about the people paying hundreds/thousands of dollars to open packs and build the best teams. I can have fun with the single player content of MyTEAM, where pay-to-win mechanics don't matter as much.

I did enjoy NBA 2K19 and NBA 2K20 is about on par for me as far as enjoyment is concerned. I'd definitely rank it ahead of NBA 2K18, which I dusted off for a Monday Tip-Off article and have no desire to play again beyond that. I wouldn't call it the best 2K, definitely not the worst. If nothing else, I can see myself continuing to play weeks and months to come; it'll be part of the rotation.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby sticky-fingers on Tue Nov 19, 2019 4:21 am

At this point i still dont really appreciate the game. I play mostly against the CPU and i dont really have fun with it.
Its hard to explain why, the game is not far from 2K19 that i appreciate, but it's really too slow, teams even with modded rosters play the same way.
So 2 months after the release, here's where i am with this game.
sticky-fingers

Postby Andrew on Tue Nov 19, 2019 2:00 pm

Andrew wrote:The locker codes on Twitter haven't been as prevalent this year

Ask and you shall receive, I guess! They just posted one: https://twitter.com/NBA2K_MyTEAM/status ... 6793700352

That being said, they haven't been doing it as much as they were last year, but the daily login content has made up for it I'd say.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby hova- on Wed Jan 29, 2020 2:56 am

So I got the game quite late, since I did not want to support 2k after reading all the bad words here on the forum and elsewhere. (I only paid 15 Euro now for the game, so that felt okay).

To be honest: I understand the major criticism, especially about all the online stuff, but I never play myteam, I never play online, so it does not count for me.

The gameplay itself is in my opinion the best since maybe 2k14. The skating is weird and it took me a lot of time to find a slider that that makes the movement and the speed and quickness of animations feeling natural, but now that I found that - I love it.

As all the years before the most important thing is proper roster editing. Especially when you change the sliders, you also have to adapt some of the attributes to make it cohesive. Further the 2k rosters are way off as always. Especially the new badges give great new opportunities to resemble players who have found a niche in the game where they excel. Being quick second jumpers or slithery finishers gives new animations and skill sets. I like that a lot. As always, 2k does not give badges out to players who are underdogs or scrubs but can be role players. When only the stars have badges, cool animations will rarely get unlocked.

As every year I do not have the time to fully edit the teams, but for some I manage and it is fun.

I understand many points people bring up, especially the foot planting / skating, but other things I easily changed (not enough threes, not enough free throws, you can change it by editting and changing sliders, thats all).

All in all for a sim gamer like me who enjoys to fire up a game every 3rd day, the game plays well.
hova-
Two time Hall Of Famer

Postby ThaLiveKing on Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:20 am

offline is the best way to play!!! I went back and played 19 and I didn't like their play calling system because I got used to 20 so I went back. Player movement to me is more fluid in 19, but 20 is better with the overall floor game IMO.

I still don't think anything on defense should be AUTO, because the CPU don't make any adjustments even with coach adapting on!!!
ThaLiveKing

Postby BrotherJRB on Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:07 pm

I was playing a fictional league in 2k18 and finally merged over to 2k20. I have got about 20 hours of gameplay in.

Overall I enjoy the CPU AI a lot on defense. You can exploit certain things but I have found my games to be pretty smart. I play a more post centric 90's game (as do the CPU edited players) so I do not see a ton of issues outside the occasional warping.

In the end I think 2k20 improved a lot. Not sure what came in with patches but overall much better game.
2013 is the year?
Thanks to Vl@d, Leftos and all the other patchers for their hard work.
BrotherJRB

Postby nextnba on Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:44 pm

The game is broken and it looks like EA can’t find a way to fix it. U can still drive pass cpu every time and get to the rim whenever u want.
nextnba

Postby bluejaybrandon on Sat Feb 22, 2020 8:17 am

nextnba wrote:The game is broken and it looks like EA can’t find a way to fix it. U can still drive pass cpu every time and get to the rim whenever u want.

Just a heads up, the game is by Take-two, not EA. Your point still stands but just want to clarify because EA makes NBA live and there may be confusion.
bluejaybrandon

Postby Uncle Drew on Tue Feb 25, 2020 3:06 am

nextnba wrote:The game is broken and it looks like EA can’t find a way to fix it. U can still drive pass cpu every time and get to the rim whenever u want.

The help defense is severely broken. You can't rotate the players over fast enough, always a step slow. Offensive rebounds are still a problem, no matter if you block out or not. Transition D is just as bad, as well as open lanes to drive to the hoop with no missed layups. I can't remember which 2K it was, but every layup to the cup, didn't go in.
Uncle Drew

Postby nextnba on Thu Feb 27, 2020 1:04 pm

Tried everything. Put cpu onball defense to 100. Put cpu defense all to 100. Even put cpu lateral quickness to 100. Can still come up and just drive pass cpu to the hoop every time. There are some videos on YouTube saying they fixed the onball issues w these slider adjustments but it doesn’t do anything bc cpu just refused for play any onball defense.
nextnba

Postby Dee4Three on Thu Feb 27, 2020 3:06 pm

nextnba wrote:Tried everything. Put cpu onball defense to 100. Put cpu defense all to 100. Even put cpu lateral quickness to 100. Can still come up and just drive pass cpu to the hoop every time. There are some videos on YouTube saying they fixed the onball issues w these slider adjustments but it doesn’t do anything bc cpu just refused for play any onball defense.

Yeah, as I stated in my video, blow bys are still a problem regardless of slider tweaks. Literally can just run by the computer a lot of the time, especially when selecting an ISO play.

Also, as others noted (and even Kevin Durant recently noted himself on Twitter, ha) the transition defense is incredibly poor. The artificial intelligence is poor, and also your ability to just run by them (or them to run by you) is incredibly overpowering. The skating puts you and the CPU out of place at times with no chance to really recover, and as the user that factors into the feeling of "lack of control", and these issues certainly impact outcomes.

Luckily I play human vs human where we can make a better effort than the AI in many cases, including being able to do a better job with on ball and transition defense, but it's still an issue.

The game just sorely needs better footplanting, change of direction mechanics, better/more realistic collison detection and better CPU intelligence. The player movement has some obvious issues at its core.

I like some things they did with 2K20, and my brother and I have a decent MyLeague going, and those decent things with the game have me hopeful and excited for 2K21. But, I agree with you and the others who talk about the games defensive and movement flaws.

Note: I re-named this thread to say "6 months after release", because that's the point we are at now.
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby hova- on Fri Feb 28, 2020 7:07 pm

nextnba wrote:Tried everything. Put cpu onball defense to 100. Put cpu defense all to 100. Even put cpu lateral quickness to 100. Can still come up and just drive pass cpu to the hoop every time. There are some videos on YouTube saying they fixed the onball issues w these slider adjustments but it doesn’t do anything bc cpu just refused for play any onball defense.

I found the ball handling slider having the biggest impact on that.

And despite all the slider editting that can help, I always tell guys: attributes and tendencies of every player are way more important (as well as badges). 2ks roster are really bad, and also other roster makers don't understand all the tendencies and attributes. I just don't have the time anymore to go hard into editting, but I editted my Mavs and when I play with or against them, it feels like RL basketball.

Not to take away all the issues that 2k has with movement etc. These are problems haunting the game for years.

Dee: I saw your video of 2k10 and I really felt like: "wow, that's all they managed to improve in ten years ...?" 2k10 looks quite the same and I even found the audience audio better than now :D
hova-
Two time Hall Of Famer

Re: NBA 2K20 now - 6 months after release

Postby Dee4Three on Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:39 pm

Yeah 2K10 still holds up well in many ways, and as I stated on OS, it actually has the same "sucked in" "gravity" problem that 2K20 has.

The dunk/layup/driving/dribbling animations in 2K10 absolutely hold up today. The player models are pretty awesome, and the atmosphere and lighting are really good.

Glad I have it for the PC, because it also feels flawless on the sticks (no lag), and its crisp through cutscenes, replays etc

I would go as far as to say 2K10 is underrated now, and that's mostly because 2K11 was the game that came right after (broke records, incredibly popular, Jordan was back) etc

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:59 pm

When it comes to players feeling a step slow, my guess is that it's the result of trying to balance online play. Adjustments have been made for user-controlled players but CPU players weren't also adjusted accordingly, resulting in them being faster. Even if it's not that specifically, something with the tuning does feel off as far as player speed, and it's noticeable when trying to rotate or play help defense.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Dee4Three on Sat Feb 29, 2020 12:21 am

Andrew wrote:When it comes to players feeling a step slow, my guess is that it's the result of trying to balance online play. Adjustments have been made for user-controlled players but CPU players weren't also adjusted accordingly, resulting in them being faster. Even if it's not that specifically, something with the tuning does feel off as far as player speed, and it's noticeable when trying to rotate or play help defense.

Part of the problem is: the ratings/tendencies in areas of speed/acceleration/ball handling etc are off, and with no adjustments to the players while also tweaking the sliders, the players do not feel like athletes or move like the real life counterparts.

I used Aaron Gordon as a example of someone who in real life is often quick and explosive, but in the game he feels like he is carrying a backpack with a 50lb weight in it when you try and do anything with him. Literally feels like a slug. And like I stated prior, the good majority of gamers do not mess with sliders or ratings/tendencies, they choose a difficulty level and play, so that is the experience they will have with Aaron Gordon.

Same with many PGs by default. Ever watch Patrick Beverley in real life? He is actually quick, and often creates by getting by his first man. But in the game by default Beverley is deathly slow, and you cant do anything with him really.

Centers literally run like they are moving in slow motion, the running animations themselves need work, but the speed of players themselves dont make a lot of sense compared to real basketball. The centers in the NBA are athletes as well, you would never know playing 2K20.

Agreed that the emphasis on the online play experience is impacting the offline/myleague play in a major way. You can tell that the game is not designed as much for 5 on 5 sim basketball where you use entire teams, but more for player lock (use one player) type feel/controls. But at the same time, you still get a lot of complaints about the feel of players after you build them and take the court.

It's a balancing act, I get it. But some things are head scratchers design/production wise, especially some of the player movement issues we are discussing.

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby hova- on Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:48 pm

The more I play this game, the more I like the gameplay.

But what really has taken a few steps back over the years is the presentation to be honest. Yes, they have good commentary and spent a lot of money for Simmons, Kobe, KG etc.

But the camera cuts on replay are horrible - absolutely horrible. There is no way the camera makes it feel like a real broadcast on cut scenes and replays. It's such a joke when you look at the highlights of your player after the game or in the boxscore that they show rebounds but don't show all points and assists. And the cuts are fucking ridiculous you cannot even see the real play.

The sound of the arena is horrible. How often do I hear one woman/girl screaming when I break someones ankle - I hate that sound. The reactions of the crowd are late and most of the time inappropriate. Watching Dees 2k10 video I thought the arena sound was better tbh.

How bad is this considering we are in 2k20 now. It annoys me that they are not able to produce a decent atmosphere in the game.
hova-
Two time Hall Of Famer

Return to NBA 2K20