NBA 2K20 now - Two months after release

Talk about NBA 2K20 here.

NBA 2K20 now - Two months after release

Postby Dee4Three on Tue Nov 12, 2019 7:33 am

Hi all,

Looking to gauge the pulse here, how are you feeling about this game roughly two months into the release cycle?

- Are you enjoying it more than you did at launch?
- Have the patches hurt your experience?
- Do you have the same frustrations as you did at launch?
- Do you feel about the same? (Not noticed much of a difference?)
- Are you still immersed in the game, and can you see that lasting?

Here is how I am feeling:

I think the patches have helped the defense a tad, but the defensive A.I is still pretty poor (regardless off what sliders are used). However, this is more noticeable from a HUM vs CPU perspective, as you can cover for some of it as a user in human vs human gameplay (Via ICON switching, switching up defensive assignments, putting your players in the right place to succeed on that end, switching up matchups, etc). Playing against the CPU is incredibly frustrating at times because they are easy to exploit. Run wide on the break for an easy layup, run by average defenders in the half-court or on the break, run pick n rolls for easy scores, etc. The skating is still an issue for me, and merely trying to stop to take a jumpshot is harder than it should be (And delayed), as you are skating/sliding forward unrealistically. I still have a problem with slow motion side by sides, and being sucked into other players is still an issue.

However, as I stated on the podcast and in the impressions section, I am enjoying 2K20 more than 2K18 and 2K19 (By a lot, actually). And am getting enjoyment out of it for the most part. My opinion on the game has improved since launch, and I am appreciating the direction they are going a bit more (Which makes me even more excited for the next gen version of 2K). I am enjoying the pace with slider tweaks, the diversity in driving animations, some of the cool blocking animations (Off the glass, suspended shots in the air), and the ability to execute first steps/catch and gos with players. I can use Westbrook like Westbrook, Ingram like Ingram, etc.

Here is a game I played last night against my brother (Game highlights), I am the Pelicans he is the Mavericks. Really close, fun game. We had to cover a lot for the CPU defensively, but I was able to hold him to 19 points in the first quarter.

phpBB [video]

So again, I am enjoying the game more now than at launch.

How are you enjoying NBA 2K20 at this point?
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Check out my YouTube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvHJXrqit8Dc6HBY5P6EmAA

Follow me on Twitter

https://twitter.com/Dee4Three84
Dee4Three
Contributor
Contributor

Re: NBA 2K20 now - Two months after release

Postby Amioran on Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:12 pm

If you want less skating one of the best ways to do it is to decrease the max speed/acceleration in the movement sliders while increasing the min values and if you want a faster pace game you increase the speed/acceleration in the attributes instead, to compensate. The more you increase the max speed/acceleration in the movement sliders and the more skating/icing etc. you will encounter (along many other issues that begin to happen, especially on AI defense), and the more the disparity between max and min and the more it happens. Also decreasing the game speed has a moderate impact on skating/icing and the more you go above 50 (but even above 48) and the less foot planting players will have. Furthermore there are certain animations this time around that actually play better at slower game speeds (the best game speed imo being in the range of 45 to 47).

Naturally you will never remove the skating/icing completely from the game (as it is an hardcoded issue that will probably be fixed - finally - for 2K21) but decreasing the max values in the movement sliders and reducing the gap between max and min, along a decreased game speed, alleviates the problem a lot.

The new motion engine is not particularly done for a fast paced game (as 15 through 17) and hence the slower the pace the less skating issues you will encounter. You obviously don't want a "play in the mud" feel but at the same time trying to replicate the fast pace of previous iterations will literally break the game and not only for what it concerns skating/icing but for many other areas as well (especially, in fact, on defense that has already quite a bit of issues per se).
Amioran

Postby johnwest1985 on Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:43 am

Two months after the game im still looking for the perfect sliders. What i found is that it requires a custom roster because 2k messed up the tendencies. Three pointers on max in sliders does not produce near the amount of threes compared to the real NBA. The game is beautifull and i like the roster updates but come one 2k... Try to make your game real life ofline and stop only focusing at the online experience. A modded 2k14 gives better gameplay right now then 2k20. Now this game has great potential. The lighting is going the right way but still it would be so easy for them to change the tendencies of players...
johnwest1985

Postby Andrew on Tue Nov 19, 2019 3:17 am

I'm liking it well enough. It's been a difficult game to rate and rank because it has its strong points, but also some undesirable design choices and sloppy bugs. A few good features in MyCAREER have been inexplicably removed, and there's been a failure to improve the core experience due to a focus on flash over substance. At the same time, it's still very playable and generally enjoyable. It's been refreshing to get back to more 5v5/non-player locked gameplay this year.

The daily login bonus in MyTEAM is a nice touch. For a moneymaking/microtransaction-driven mode, it's been quite a generous way to build up your team for free. The locker codes on Twitter haven't been as prevalent this year, but the weekly in-game code (essentially a reward for voting in the poll) helps out with some extra Tokens and MT. Overall I like the approach, it makes the mode more accessible. I'm not interested in the online modes, so I don't have to worry about the people paying hundreds/thousands of dollars to open packs and build the best teams. I can have fun with the single player content of MyTEAM, where pay-to-win mechanics don't matter as much.

I did enjoy NBA 2K19 and NBA 2K20 is about on par for me as far as enjoyment is concerned. I'd definitely rank it ahead of NBA 2K18, which I dusted off for a Monday Tip-Off article and have no desire to play again beyond that. I wouldn't call it the best 2K, definitely not the worst. If nothing else, I can see myself continuing to play weeks and months to come; it'll be part of the rotation.
NLSC Webmaster/Administrator
Release Topics: NBA Live 08 | NBA Live 07 | NBA Live 06 | NBA Live 2005 | NBA Live 2004
Story Topics: NBA 2K19 | NBA 2K13 | NBA Live 06 (Part 2) | NBA Live 06 (HOF) | NBA Live 2004 (HOF)
NLSC: Podcast | The Friday Five | Monday Tip-Off | Wayback Wednesday | 20th Anniversary of NBA Live | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube

Support The NLSC Hosting Fund: Patreon | GoFundMe

Like my work? Want to help out with the NLSC Hosting Fund? Please consider leaving a tip!
Andrew
The One Admin
Administrator

Postby sticky-fingers on Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:21 am

At this point i still dont really appreciate the game. I play mostly against the CPU and i dont really have fun with it.
Its hard to explain why, the game is not far from 2K19 that i appreciate, but it's really too slow, teams even with modded rosters play the same way.
So 2 months after the release, here's where i am with this game.
my NBA2K : YouTube | flickr

my Mods for NBA 2K20 - 2K19 - 2K17 - 2K16

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose"
Ayrton Senna
sticky-fingers

Postby Andrew on Tue Nov 19, 2019 3:00 pm

Andrew wrote:The locker codes on Twitter haven't been as prevalent this year

Ask and you shall receive, I guess! They just posted one: https://twitter.com/NBA2K_MyTEAM/status ... 6793700352

That being said, they haven't been doing it as much as they were last year, but the daily login content has made up for it I'd say.
NLSC Webmaster/Administrator
Release Topics: NBA Live 08 | NBA Live 07 | NBA Live 06 | NBA Live 2005 | NBA Live 2004
Story Topics: NBA 2K19 | NBA 2K13 | NBA Live 06 (Part 2) | NBA Live 06 (HOF) | NBA Live 2004 (HOF)
NLSC: Podcast | The Friday Five | Monday Tip-Off | Wayback Wednesday | 20th Anniversary of NBA Live | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube

Support The NLSC Hosting Fund: Patreon | GoFundMe

Like my work? Want to help out with the NLSC Hosting Fund? Please consider leaving a tip!
Andrew
The One Admin
Administrator

Return to NBA 2K20