MyLEAGUE Plans for NBA 2K20

Talk about NBA 2K20 here.

MyLEAGUE Plans for NBA 2K20

Postby Andrew on Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:47 pm

I've mentioned it in several of my features and on the NLSC Podcast, but after years of playing MyCAREER and grinding a player to partake in a bit of online gaming with the NLSC crew, I'm mostly leaving it behind for MyTEAM and MyLEAGUE. I've wanted to get back to my roots as a franchise gamer for some time now, and it seems like a good year to do that, especially after achieving closure on MyCAREER when I made the Hall of Fame in NBA 2K19. To that end, I've already done a bit of everything as I work my way through all of MyTEAM's various modes and challenges, and started collecting some decent cards. I've been holding off on MyLEAGUE until we're a bit closer to the start of the season, and we have updated opening night rosters.

However, I'm still figuring out what I want to do with MyLEAGUE. I prefer to start out more realistically - current rosters, current league, no expansion franchises or rebranding - and then maybe make a couple of moves to make things interesting. The Bulls are my default choice since they're my favourite team, but I'm not totally sold on them. The handful of MyCAREER games that I've played have been for the Bulls, and while it is a different experience controlling all five players, I'm not feeling the roster. It probably doesn't help that the last couple of years have left me feeling a bit jaded and pessimistic about the current rebuild in real life, though I do like Markkanen and LaVine.

So yeah, I'm still trying to figure out who to pick, and what moves I can make when I do. Picking a team other than the Bulls might be the way to go, though I'm not interested in controlling the Lakers, Warriors, or Rockets. I think they're all fine options, but they're not for me. I'd also like to play through a few seasons, so I'm going to have to bite the bullet and sim instead of playing every single game. The perils of getting older and having more responsibilities, and all that.

Anyone else looking to get into MyLEAGUE this year? If so, what are your current plans, or what have you done so far?
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Re: MyLEAGUE Plans for NBA 2K20

Postby Dee4Three on Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:40 am

I probably won't be playing MyLeague on 2K20. However, I have a few teams I think you should consider if you are not taking the Bulls:

1. Timberwolves - Would be interesting to see if you could make them relevant, either with the core pieces or realistic offseason/during season moves

2. Hawks - promising young group, with the Bonus of using Vince Carter for his last season (or maybe you can convince him to stay for one more?)

3. Orlando - Another team who has either been poor or just hovered around mediocrity. Similar "can they turn the corner?" Feeling of the Timberwolves, and a team with a few young pieces themselves. Maybe you can make Markelle Fultz live up to his hype

Either way, I get the same way sometimes as far as going away my favorite. I'll use the 05-06 Lakers or 02-03 Wizards for myleague at times, even though I grew up a Celtics fan. In fact, the more I think of I never use the Celtics for a myleague, I'll use the Iverson Nuggets, or Drexlers Blazers.
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Check out my YouTube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvHJXrqit8Dc6HBY5P6EmAA

Follow me on Twitter

https://twitter.com/Dee4Three84
Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby YourHonkyFriend on Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:26 am

I recommend using Chicago. They are also my favorite team and the rebuild is at a peak right now. Thad Young and Sato are interesting players for the first season but even more interesting trade pieces as they age. For example, the first thing I did was resign Otto Porter to a 3year/45 Million dollar contract and then I moved Sato at the deadline for Cam Reddish. Hawks got a legit backup PG who can play with Trae along with a 1st and I got a long swingman to improve on our wing depth. I plan to eventually start Reddish and move Otto Porter to the 3/4 backup role so I can trade Thad Young before 2021 Free Agency. But overall the Bulls are a great combination of veteran contracts and young lottery picks that you can trade and build whatever team you want over the next couple years. I might keep Coby White or move him while hes still on his rookie contract - I'm still not sure. I do like the core of LaVine and Lauri though and the Bulls have the $$$, the players and the core to build a fun team in franchise mode.

I plan to do an expansion in about year 3 or 4 when the contract issues start to arise and solid players are left holding out in free agency. Like on 2k19 I legit saw Tatum sit a whole year out demanding a max the Celtics, nor anyone, could even offer him as no one had any money left to spend. Expansion fixes this somewhat.

I really want to do a historic franchise mode with the Derrick Rose Bulls and the historic draft classes but havent tried that yet.
YourHonkyFriend

Postby johnwest1985 on Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:11 am

Orlanda might be one of the teams with rather many pieces to make a future move. And Fultz is rather good in 2k to be honoust. Would be fun to develop him also.
johnwest1985

Postby Andrew on Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:07 pm

Dee4Three wrote:1. Timberwolves - Would be interesting to see if you could make them relevant, either with the core pieces or realistic offseason/during season moves

2. Hawks - promising young group, with the Bonus of using Vince Carter for his last season (or maybe you can convince him to stay for one more?)

3. Orlando - Another team who has either been poor or just hovered around mediocrity. Similar "can they turn the corner?" Feeling of the Timberwolves, and a team with a few young pieces themselves. Maybe you can make Markelle Fultz live up to his hype

johnwest1985 wrote:Orlanda might be one of the teams with rather many pieces to make a future move. And Fultz is rather good in 2k to be honoust. Would be fun to develop him also.

Solid suggestions! I'd probably go with the Hawks or Magic out of those three, as I'm just not a fan of the Timberwolves' current branding. I know I could rebrand them myself, but like I said I prefer to start out with everything current and accurate, and then maybe make a couple of small moves to change it up a little.

YourHonkyFriend wrote:I recommend using Chicago. They are also my favorite team and the rebuild is at a peak right now. Thad Young and Sato are interesting players for the first season but even more interesting trade pieces as they age. For example, the first thing I did was resign Otto Porter to a 3year/45 Million dollar contract and then I moved Sato at the deadline for Cam Reddish. Hawks got a legit backup PG who can play with Trae along with a 1st and I got a long swingman to improve on our wing depth. I plan to eventually start Reddish and move Otto Porter to the 3/4 backup role so I can trade Thad Young before 2021 Free Agency. But overall the Bulls are a great combination of veteran contracts and young lottery picks that you can trade and build whatever team you want over the next couple years. I might keep Coby White or move him while hes still on his rookie contract - I'm still not sure. I do like the core of LaVine and Lauri though and the Bulls have the $$$, the players and the core to build a fun team in franchise mode.

Those are some excellent points, you're definitely making them sound like a more appealing option (and raising my optimism for the real Bulls, too!). I won't write them off just yet.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby Lamrock on Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:03 am

Gar Forman endorses Hong Kong the same day that photos of John Paxson in blackface leak. In a panic, the Bulls replace them with Andrew Begley, who immediately signs Kevin Garnett to start at point guard while Coby White develops.

Failing that, the Hawks and Kings look like intriguing choices, although if you ask me the Hawks' current branding is even worse than the Wolves'.
Lamrock

Postby jwin on Fri Oct 18, 2019 3:46 am

give the sixers a test run or two, they're my favorite team and i always use them regardless but they are really fun to play with. i like to try to dominate in the post, especially with the post spin so using embiid down low is a challenge plus he can hit the mid range too, simmons seems to get to the basket with ease and is an almost automatic finisher near the rim. josh richardson has a nice mix of outside shooting and driving ability, tobias harris is similiar with a bit of a post up game added. al horford so far has been the most challenging player to work with, he can hit jumpers decently, but post up game is erratic, some games he can dominate, others he can't finish.

the bench players are where it gets interesting: zhaire smith has a decent enough jump shot, as well as james ennis. matisse thybulle is more a defensive player, kyle o'quinn is good on the boards and can hit some mid range shots, mike scott is streaky and i'd suggest using freestyle practice or scrimmage to get used to his shooting release, jonah bolden doesn't seem to shoot as well as his ratings might indicate he should, and trey burke and raul neto are better in my opinion driving to the hoop to finish or dish than as shooters.

just my opinions but i think they're worth trying out to see if they fit what you want
jwin

Postby Andrew on Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:14 am

The 76ers are a team I'd consider apart from the Bulls. It help that Ben Simmons is Australian and spent some of his early years in my hometown.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby deihatein on Fri Oct 18, 2019 1:22 pm

Mavs or bust.
shadowgrin wrote:Quick question: who is better in basketball, a black dude or a pinoy dude. If you thought or considered for a moment that it's the black dude then you're also a little bit racist.

End of any racist discussion.

Pinoy > Dallas Mavericks
deihatein
Like he never left!

Postby Andrew on Fri Oct 18, 2019 7:13 pm

Respect. (Y)

This week's Friday Five is a list of five steps for setting up a MyLEAGUE game for success: https://www.nba-live.com/tff-5-steps-myleague-game/

They're basically the steps and criteria I set for myself to make sure that I'm starting a franchise game on the right foot; hopefully they'll be a useful guide for others as well. I'm also definitely leaning towards using the Bulls, though perhaps not the Bulls as they are in the screenshots for that article, as I'd like a proper opening night roster first. In any case, YourHonkyFriend has made a strong case for them as a Bulls fan, and they're obviously the team I'm most fond of. It seems like the most logical choice, at least for a primary MyLEAGUE game. It's always fun to mess around with one where you're strictly simulating for the most part.

Glancing at the free agent pool, I wouldn't mind adding some veteran talent as far as my handful of fantasy moves are concerned. If Jamal Crawford hasn't signed on anywhere by opening night, a farewell tour with the team he started with might be fun. It'd be a nice throwback to my NBA Live 2004 Dynasty as well. In fact, I might yet go with the save I created while grabbing the screenshots for The Friday Five, just so that I can create that reality!
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby YourHonkyFriend on Sat Oct 19, 2019 2:46 am

Hey, Andrew, as another Bulls fan I have to ask how you feel about Coby White? Were you hoping for anyone else? I really wish we had Culver and almost cant bring myself to trade White in Myleague yet. I feel like Culver could grow to a solid defensive/second playmaking role that Sato is going to start in. I would also have even preferred Reddish or if we had traded the pick for Lonzo Ball. Idk. Im just not sold on White yet.
YourHonkyFriend

Postby Andrew on Sat Oct 19, 2019 3:31 am

I'd say I'm cautiously optimistic. His most recent preseason outing was promising, and while it is just the preseason, it was good to see all the same. I'm trying to temper my expectations for now, but it looks like there's potential there. I honestly don't know who else I would've gone for as I don't follow the NCAA that closely.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Return to NBA 2K20