2K cam vs Broadcast cam

Talk about NBA 2K20 here.

2K cam vs Broadcast cam

Postby Dee4Three on Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:07 am

Hi all,

More and more people seem to be using broadcast cam, like myself. I know that ThaLiveKing has used it forever, as have I. But, I see more people open to switching to different variations of broadcast generic, or skybox, etc.

The question is: What view do you play on, and why?

Personally for me, these are the reasons I have always played on broadcast cam:

1. It's how we watched the NBA our whole lives, every single "on tv" basketball memory is from that view. So when playing the game, I'd like to replicate that POV.
2. I have a better view of the baseline, and how close I am to another player. Say I am playing defense, I have a better view of how close I am to the offensive player (I can see the exact space between), and if I am driving baseline, I have a better view of how much space I have between myself, the defender and out of bounds. Same if posting up and I want to spin baseline, I have an overall better view of the spacing to execute a move. Defensively, this helps me sag off appropriately, or apply the right amount of pressure to contest shots or close out.
3. More steady camera - Consistent camera that doesn't bob and weave or move when making passes cross court, when changing possessions, etc.
4. Better view when in the paint or posting up - I can see the entire three point line, and almost up to half-court depending on how far I zoom out, normally I have zoom at 1, and I can see everything around me. This makes sense, because if I want to kick it out to an open shooter, I can see any and all players, and how open they are as well.

The beauty of 2K games, is that they offer the camera relative option for controls, as opposed to Live which only offers absolute controls. This makes it so when I am playing, my movement makes sense according to where the player is on the screen, it's ridiculously comfortable for me. I sent that over in my Live feedback, that they absolutely need camera relative controls, as they offer multiple broadcast camera views but don't have the controls to accommodate them.

Here are some of my favorite broadcast views:

Broadcast Generic
Zoom 1
Height 6
Key Zoom ON

Broadcast Generic
Zoom 1
Height 8
Key Zoom ON

Broadcast Generic
Zoom 2
Height 5
Key Zoom ON

Skybox
Zoom 10
Height 1
Key Zoom OFF

Here is an example of me playing on Broadcast Generic, with Zoom at 1, height at 6, and Key Zoom ON

phpBB [video]

An example in 2K17 of a classic broadcast generic view that emulates many of the 70's and 80's broadcast cams. This is Zoom: 3, Height 4, Key Zoom ON

phpBB [video]

I understand why people play on 2K cam, as they like being behind the player (Like they are playing), but for me it has to many frustrating aspects gameplay wise (Like I mentioned above), and it's not a 1st person view, it's a 3rd person view, so it's not like you are actually playing. For any mode, I choose broadcast. However, as many know I do not play online or do mycareer, and I have noticed that some people for those modes use 3rd person, and switch to broadcast for offline NBA gameplay.

No right or wrong way to play, but those are the reasons why I play on broadcast. What are the reasons you play on the camera view you play on?
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Check out my YouTube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvHJXrqit8Dc6HBY5P6EmAA

Follow me on Twitter

https://twitter.com/Dee4Three84
Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Re: 2K cam vs Broadcast cam

Postby Andrew on Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:48 am

For any mode where I'm controlling all the players, I prefer Broadcast. I believe I'm on the generic broadcast cam at present. I like it for the same reasons you noted: it's a TV-style presentation, and it's what I'm used to from the early days of basketball games.

In the player locked modes, I've generally preferred a baseline angle; 2K Cam or one of its variants. I'll need to look up the name, but the last couple of years I've used the one that follows and rotates with the player rather than the fixed 2K Cam that has to spin at halfcourt. It feels more like I'm on the court with the player, and avoids accidental backcourt violations on a change of possession near midcourt, which I've found to be a big issue with the traditional 2K Cam. It also reminds me of one of my all-time favourite games, World League Basketball on SNES.

phpBB [video]

I've been playing more MyTEAM than MyCAREER this year however, so for NBA 2K20 at least, I've mostly been on a broadcast angle and enjoying that again.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby Dee4Three on Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:24 am

Andrew wrote:For any mode where I'm controlling all the players, I prefer Broadcast. I believe I'm on the generic broadcast cam at present. I like it for the same reasons you noted: it's a TV-style presentation, and it's what I'm used to from the early days of basketball games.

In the player locked modes, I've generally preferred a baseline angle; 2K Cam or one of its variants. I'll need to look up the name, but the last couple of years I've used the one that follows and rotates with the player rather than the fixed 2K Cam that has to spin at halfcourt. It feels more like I'm on the court with the player, and avoids accidental backcourt violations on a change of possession near midcourt, which I've found to be a big issue with the traditional 2K Cam. It also reminds me of one of my all-time favourite games, World League Basketball on SNES.

phpBB [video]

I've been playing more MyTEAM than MyCAREER this year however, so for NBA 2K20 at least, I've mostly been on a broadcast angle and enjoying that again.

I played A TON of NCAA Basketball, which is the same game just with different teams/league. Check it out

phpBB [video]

One of my favorite games of all time. I used Georgetown, and I had only one guy who could really light it up from three (larson). I loved how the game actually made it so you had to use players to strengths, at the time it was a big deal. The pace also made it feel "sim" at the time, as it didn't allow you to play at 100mph. One guy on Boston College (He was a center) named Hintzey, at a 50 on his 3pt rating, which is the highest it went, and had to really keep an eye on him because he would smoke threes all over the floor.

The season mode from what I remember also tracked stats, it was a lot of fun.

There was another NCAA basketball game that came out that I also owned which had the broadcast camera as its only camera, it was called NCAA Final Four.

phpBB [video]

That game introduced "smooth" movement that hadn't really been seen before in a basketball title, and also the opportunity to rename all the players in the league. However, the developer missed an important step... you couldn't save rosters. Therefore, any time you turned off the game, your players names would go back to default. Pretty unfortunate.

I think the only NBA game that I spent A LOT of time on using a 2K cam like view, was NBA Fastbreak 98 (also known as NBA Action 98). They just didn't have a very good side view to play on.

phpBB [video]
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Check out my YouTube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvHJXrqit8Dc6HBY5P6EmAA

Follow me on Twitter

https://twitter.com/Dee4Three84
Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby som3roid on Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:17 pm

NBA Fastbreak 98!!! dammmmmmn, you just sent me waaaay back with that one. :D

Mostly I play with Broadcast cam, I like it more, it's what I'm used to from watching the NBA on TV; any sport, to be fair. I even play Madden in broadcast cam sometimes. :D but, if I really want to get into it, to be more precise with my passing, it's 2K cam for sure. You just have more control in the game, even defending.
som3roid

Postby sticky-fingers on Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:28 pm

Guys, you should consider to buy a Raspberry Pi 3, put Recalbox/RetroPie distrib on SD card.
Great solution for retro gaming.
sticky-fingers

Return to NBA 2K20