2K On Ice

Talk about NBA 2K20 here.

2K On Ice

Postby Andrew on Sat Sep 07, 2019 5:17 am

Unfortunately, it doesn't look like the updated motion system has done much to address skating and sliding.

phpBB [video]
NLSC Webmaster/Administrator
Image
Contact: Email | Twitter
Release Topics: NBA Live 08 | NBA Live 07 | NBA Live 06 | NBA Live 2005 | NBA Live 2004
Story Topics: NBA 2K19 | NBA 2K13 | NBA Live 06 (Part 2) | NBA Live 06 (HOF) | NBA Live 2004 (HOF)
NLSC: Podcast | The Friday Five | Monday Tip-Off | Wayback Wednesday | 20th Anniversary of NBA Live | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube


Support The NLSC Hosting Fund: Patreon | GoFundMe

Image
Like my work? Want to help out with the NLSC Hosting Fund? Please consider leaving a tip!
User avatar
Andrew
The One Admin
Administrator
 
Posts: 108462
Joined: Thu Aug 22, 2002 9:51 pm
Location: Australia

Re: 2K On Ice

Postby Dee4Three on Sat Sep 07, 2019 6:24 am

The player movement is incredibly poor.

We are constantly being sucked into other players

Change of direction is incredibly clunky and not reactive

Major heavy animation issues with passing and catching, causing delays in both which make moving the ball a nightmare

Speed breaks are constant, making your player look and feel awkward in the open court or in half court on drives, or catch and gos.

Slugglish controls and overly animated sequences that make catching and going. Or trying to accelerate on a drive, a complete exercise in frustration.

Dribbling that doesnt make sense when changing directions, keeping the ball in a hand that doesnt make sense (dribbling on the inside instead of the outside).

Skating is still present.

You being slowed down constantly to a crawl when someone bodies up with you, as you move like a slug trying to drive to the hoop.

If anybody thinks any of the above items I mentioned above feels or looks like real basketball, or SIMNATION, you have lost your mind.

This is not a good representation of basketball, in the least. So many player movement issues that ruin authenticity, and fun.

I am incredibly disappointed.

Looks like you will see another update to my 2K17 rosters afterall.
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Check out my YouTube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvHJXrqit8Dc6HBY5P6EmAA


Follow me on Twitter

https://twitter.com/Dee4Three84
User avatar
Dee4Three
Contributor
Contributor
 
Posts: 8388
Joined: Sun Mar 30, 2014 1:34 pm
Location: New Hampshire, USA

Re: 2K On Ice

Postby Uncle Drew on Sat Sep 07, 2019 7:21 am

^^ And to add to your excellent analysis, Players get beat off the dribble, entirely too much. They still haven't came up with a solution to cut off drives to the hoop effectively. I understand PG's and SG's can get by most C's and PF's. But it's incredible to me, that 2K still hasn't solved players rotating to stop drives in the lane, and that floaters in the lane never seem to miss. I do thank them for making wide open looks and shots behind screens more realistic and not a foregone conclusion that it's going in.
User avatar
Uncle Drew
 
Posts: 3117
Joined: Thu Nov 14, 2002 2:47 pm
Location: The D and it's not Dallas

Re: 2K On Ice

Postby Dee4Three on Sat Sep 07, 2019 7:29 am

Uncle Drew wrote:^^ And to add to your excellent analysis, Players get beat off the dribble, entirely too much. They still haven't came up with a solution to cut off drives to the hoop effectively. I understand PG's and SG's can get by most C's and PF's. But it's incredible to me, that 2K still hasn't solved players rotating to stop drives in the lane, and that floaters in the lane never seem to miss. I do thank them for making wide open looks and shots behind screens more realistic and not a foregone conclusion that it's going in.


Thank you.

And yeah, when you are not beating your guy off the dribble, you are stuck in this slow motion, skating crawl going sideways. It feels terrible.

They did that after the complaints on 2K18, they added that slow motion driving defense where the defender is literally stuck to you.

2K is so big now, that they can mess up in a major way gameplay wise, and it will be mostly ignored. The game is so loaded with sponsors, marketing, names, content, promises etc that the gameplay can have so many frustrating elements, and people wont even talk about it.

I am going to upload a video with all the glaring movement issues.
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Check out my YouTube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvHJXrqit8Dc6HBY5P6EmAA


Follow me on Twitter

https://twitter.com/Dee4Three84
User avatar
Dee4Three
Contributor
Contributor
 
Posts: 8388
Joined: Sun Mar 30, 2014 1:34 pm
Location: New Hampshire, USA

Re: 2K On Ice

Postby cavs4872 on Sat Sep 07, 2019 10:04 am

We'll be beta testers for the next month... as usual.

I'll never forget how 2K18 Park was unplayable for the first month without having a PS4 Pro... do they test these things?

Dee4Three wrote:2K is so big now, that they can mess up in a major way gameplay wise, and it will be mostly ignored. The game is so loaded with sponsors, marketing, names, content, promises etc that the gameplay can have so many frustrating elements, and people wont even talk about it.

That's the sad reality but it really is a reflection of how much better 2K is than Live that they can afford to do all these things while EA can't even release their game.
User avatar
cavs4872
All I do is ball
 
Posts: 1950
Joined: Mon May 25, 2009 8:30 am
Location: Cleveland, OH

Re: 2K On Ice

Postby Andrew on Sat Sep 07, 2019 1:31 pm

There's definitely a clunky feeling to the movement this year. Also, I get what they're going for with making sprint a more finite resource, but it doesn't help when the CPU feels a couple of steps quicker to begin with.
NLSC Webmaster/Administrator
Image
Contact: Email | Twitter
Release Topics: NBA Live 08 | NBA Live 07 | NBA Live 06 | NBA Live 2005 | NBA Live 2004
Story Topics: NBA 2K19 | NBA 2K13 | NBA Live 06 (Part 2) | NBA Live 06 (HOF) | NBA Live 2004 (HOF)
NLSC: Podcast | The Friday Five | Monday Tip-Off | Wayback Wednesday | 20th Anniversary of NBA Live | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube


Support The NLSC Hosting Fund: Patreon | GoFundMe

Image
Like my work? Want to help out with the NLSC Hosting Fund? Please consider leaving a tip!
User avatar
Andrew
The One Admin
Administrator
 
Posts: 108462
Joined: Thu Aug 22, 2002 9:51 pm
Location: Australia

Re: 2K On Ice

Postby Arcane on Sat Sep 07, 2019 6:57 pm

Unfortunately the devs are going to be like
Image
User avatar
Arcane
The NLSC's Jim Jefferies
NLSC Team Member
 
Posts: 7071
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2003 1:00 am
Location: Brisbane, QLD

Re: 2K On Ice

Postby bluejaybrandon on Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:37 am

Andrew wrote:There's definitely a clunky feeling to the movement this year. Also, I get what they're going for with making sprint a more finite resource, but it doesn't help when the CPU feels a couple of steps quicker to begin with.


I think it's a little clunky but it finally feels purposeful. When I make a move and get around a defender, it feels like I earned it, not just cheesed the game.

For others struggling with movement, I highly recommend the tutorial. Defenders are supposed to body up on drives, that's basketball. They move and slide with you. There have been numerous times I have beat a defender in 2k20 by crossing over and accelerating at just the right moment.

The ball-handling is pretty darn good in my opinion, so if you're struggling with it, you may need to give the tutorial another go. I haven't experienced a ball-handler dribbling with the wrong hand because it can easily be switched between hands with the sticks.

This new system gets some taking used to but I think its the best it's been on this generation of consoles. I look forward to what people can do with sliders.
bluejaybrandon
 
Posts: 1972
Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2016 12:18 pm

Re: 2K On Ice

Postby Dee4Three on Sun Sep 08, 2019 5:00 am

Player movement issues are present, and legitimate. I am very well aware of the dribbling system and how it functions, as well as the player movement in general. That doesnt mean it always makes sense or functions correctly.

The being sucked into other players is constant, and hurts the feel, flow and look. So does the skating, and speed breaking and other random speed issues. Changing directions is clunky and doesnt make sense alot of times.

Motion system issues like these have been present since the inception of it in 2K18. However, getting sucked into players on 2K20 happens more than both 2K18 and 2K19.

They say they worked on foot planting, but I've played a bunch of full games already, and these issues from last year with skating are still in 2K20.
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Check out my YouTube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvHJXrqit8Dc6HBY5P6EmAA


Follow me on Twitter

https://twitter.com/Dee4Three84
User avatar
Dee4Three
Contributor
Contributor
 
Posts: 8388
Joined: Sun Mar 30, 2014 1:34 pm
Location: New Hampshire, USA

Re: 2K On Ice

Postby Dee4Three on Sun Sep 08, 2019 5:08 am

cavs4872 wrote:We'll be beta testers for the next month... as usual.

I'll never forget how 2K18 Park was unplayable for the first month without having a PS4 Pro... do they test these things?

Dee4Three wrote:2K is so big now, that they can mess up in a major way gameplay wise, and it will be mostly ignored. The game is so loaded with sponsors, marketing, names, content, promises etc that the gameplay can have so many frustrating elements, and people wont even talk about it.

That's the sad reality but it really is a reflection of how much better 2K is than Live that they can afford to do all these things while EA can't even release their game.


Agreed, Live doesn't provide any competition right now, and hasn't for AWHILE.

This is why it can be so frustrating to watch EA Sports fumble the NBA Live series the way they have for so long. They have been the only title who has had any real shot at trying to compete in this space (NBA 09 the Inside was the last game of that series before they bowed out). But Live continues to mess up new releases with lack of content, poor gameplay elements, lack of "staying power" modes, lack of advertising or good marketing (or any marketing), etc.

They allowed 2K to become so big, that it's almost impossible to take them down now.
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Check out my YouTube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvHJXrqit8Dc6HBY5P6EmAA


Follow me on Twitter

https://twitter.com/Dee4Three84
User avatar
Dee4Three
Contributor
Contributor
 
Posts: 8388
Joined: Sun Mar 30, 2014 1:34 pm
Location: New Hampshire, USA

Re: 2K On Ice

Postby Kevmire on Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:11 am

I went back to 2k16 and am loving it.
Kevmire
 
Posts: 33
Joined: Wed Jun 07, 2006 5:11 am

Re: 2K On Ice

Postby Dee4Three on Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:20 am

Kevmire wrote:I went back to 2k16 and am loving it.


Yeah, and I have stuck with 2K17, and also prefer it.
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Check out my YouTube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvHJXrqit8Dc6HBY5P6EmAA


Follow me on Twitter

https://twitter.com/Dee4Three84
User avatar
Dee4Three
Contributor
Contributor
 
Posts: 8388
Joined: Sun Mar 30, 2014 1:34 pm
Location: New Hampshire, USA

Re: 2K On Ice

Postby TGsoGood on Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:51 am

Anyone else have more video of the movement issues?

I have only played a few WNBA games and WNBA practice inside of myleague WNB season mode. I haven't seen much yet. Then again, I was mainly focused on getting used to all the WNBA players.

So far I have enjoyed the game.
Consider donating: http://cash.me/$TheJohnsonFamily or http://paypal.me/4TheGoods
Follow me on twitter @TGsoGood
Check me out on youtube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPydhZ ... PeRSmEVynQ
User avatar
TGsoGood
Contributor
Contributor
 
Posts: 4462
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2011 5:03 am
Location: Nashville, TN

Re: 2K On Ice

Postby Dee4Three on Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:51 am

TGsoGood wrote:Anyone else have more video of the movement issues?

I have only played a few WNBA games and WNBA practice inside of myleague. I haven't seen much yet. Then again, I was mainly focused on getting used to all the WNBA players.

So far I have enjoyed the game.


Uploading now. Will place here in about an hour.
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Check out my YouTube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvHJXrqit8Dc6HBY5P6EmAA


Follow me on Twitter

https://twitter.com/Dee4Three84
User avatar
Dee4Three
Contributor
Contributor
 
Posts: 8388
Joined: Sun Mar 30, 2014 1:34 pm
Location: New Hampshire, USA

Re: 2K On Ice

Postby cavs4872 on Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:34 pm

Dee4Three wrote:They allowed 2K to become so big, that it's almost impossible to take them down now.

Probably karma for running a monopoly on the NFL tbh.
User avatar
cavs4872
All I do is ball
 
Posts: 1950
Joined: Mon May 25, 2009 8:30 am
Location: Cleveland, OH

Re: 2K On Ice

Postby Dee4Three on Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:36 pm

cavs4872 wrote:
Dee4Three wrote:They allowed 2K to become so big, that it's almost impossible to take them down now.

Probably karma for running a monopoly on the NFL tbh.


Oh, EA Sports deserves this, 100%.

And, they would be lying if they didn't admit it. They have botched releases for the better part of 13 years.
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Check out my YouTube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvHJXrqit8Dc6HBY5P6EmAA


Follow me on Twitter

https://twitter.com/Dee4Three84
User avatar
Dee4Three
Contributor
Contributor
 
Posts: 8388
Joined: Sun Mar 30, 2014 1:34 pm
Location: New Hampshire, USA

Re: 2K On Ice

Postby Dee4Three on Sun Sep 08, 2019 2:22 pm

Here are some of the issues with 2K20

Image

On this video, you will see how bad the skating/floating issues are, the "Being sucked in", the speed breaking constantly, the issues with acceleration, the blow-by issue, dribbling transferring hands, dribbling being impacted by unrealistically being sucked into other players, and the superior movement overall from 2K games prior to NBA 2K18.

The skating on here, and the being sucked in unrealistically is literally not disputable.It's happening all the time, and I have it in regular motion and slow motion. The speed breaking and awkward/unrealistic running is not disputable, that is happening constantly. The blow-bys are not disputable, that you can exploit it BIG TIME with quick guards and forwards (And just keep finishing). I show it on this video on HOF.

These are all things that impact the FEEL, FLOW, LOOK, and AUTHENTICITY. It's why you see a lot of people sticking with titles prior to 2K18, or commenting about how they hate how the new 2K's feel sluggish, or poor player movement wise. None of this on the video is SIM, and this stuff is happening all the time. 2K has become so big, and they market so well, that they can get away with these issues year after year. It's just the nature of the beast at this point. They market the hell out of "Sim nation", appealing to that crowd, meanwhile the game itself is absolutely plagued with a ton of issues that hurt sim basketball, and authenticity. Like for example, the ability to do a simple catch and go, execute a realistic first step, show realistic speed on the fastbreak, finish the way you want without being sucked into players unrealistically, simply trying to change directions but the game makes it sluggish and unrealistically slow and clunky, having an open layup in the paint but being sucked into multiple defenders only to make it heavily contested, having an open lane baseline but being sucked backwards into defenders for no reason, etc etc

I will probably do a more detailed video later on. But this will give you a good idea of what I am talking about. So again, if you find that you enjoyed past titles more, these may be the reasons. The issues in this video have NOTHING to do with me "Not understanding the player movement", or "Not understanding the dribbling". I have been beating the CPU on HOF since I got the game, and understand both. I have put A LOT of hours into 2K20 already. These are just REAL ISSUES with the new motion system, and NBA 2K20 in general.

This is not SIM, or AUTHENTIC, and it doesn't look or feel that way. It is an exercise in frustration a lot of the time, with a major issue being lack of control.

phpBB [video]
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Check out my YouTube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvHJXrqit8Dc6HBY5P6EmAA


Follow me on Twitter

https://twitter.com/Dee4Three84
User avatar
Dee4Three
Contributor
Contributor
 
Posts: 8388
Joined: Sun Mar 30, 2014 1:34 pm
Location: New Hampshire, USA

Re: 2K On Ice

Postby bluejaybrandon on Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:28 pm

Watch how easy it is to blow by...proceeds to play against Lillard who is undoubtedly one of the worst point guard defenders. I was constantly being challenged by Pat Bev and Kawhi. It’s incredibly realistic. Bad defenders are an easy bucket, good defenders are a chore to score against. The sliding is present but it’s only impression breaking. Functionally it’s not game-breaking by any means.

I really hope you’re serious about going back to 2k17 because the negativity and nit picking is overwhelming. The vast majority of players agree that is feels tighter and purposeful than previous years. The ones that are struggling are those that don’t take the time to learn the system, or were just cheesing the game. I mean I know you’re a part of that “NBA live fan group” but you don’t need to explain your distaste for 2k. What’s the end goal by just bashing it? It’s not gonna get patched. Get your steam refund and go back to whatever 2k you enjoy. Those that enjoy 2k20 will play this iteration. Just too much negativity, Andrew posted a reasonable clip of sliding and you turned it into a 15 minute rant. Let those who enjoy it, keep enjoying it. 2k17 is still there for you.
bluejaybrandon
 
Posts: 1972
Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2016 12:18 pm

Re: 2K On Ice

Postby Dee4Three on Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:39 pm

They are not just IMPRESSION based. They impact the player movement in general, they impact catch and gos, first steps, acceleration in the open court, changing directions, in the paint etc. Its literally PLAYER MOVEMENT based.

Going 80% for an entire quarter on ISOs on HOF on ANYBODY and scoring at will is NOT realistic. Doing that on Lillard on the games hardest level with anybody and just continuing to score at will is not realistic AT ALL. No matter what.

Bringing up Live implying that I am being biased, when all I have done is talk about the issues with Lives gameplay, including in this thread several times stating that they have done a poor job? I have a video gameplay wise for Live critiquing it JUST LIKE 2K. Live has done a piss poor job overall for the better part or 13 years.

Implying that another reason would be that I dont know how to play the new game with the new motion system has nothing to do with ANY of the issues mentioned in the video, zero. That makes no sense given the context and the video that was shown.

Stating you hope I go back to 2K17 because of the negativity about 2K20? This is literally a thread created about the skating by someone else. The threads premise is A NEGATIVE about the game. The NLSC user feedback is going to be a mixture of positive and negative, critiques and praise. And that's what it should be.

That video doesnt hit all the issues, just some regarding the player movement, blow by issue, etc. Completely valid for this thread, this section, and can be posted on the impressions thread which is an open invite for POSITIVE and NEGATIVE feedback.
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Check out my YouTube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvHJXrqit8Dc6HBY5P6EmAA


Follow me on Twitter

https://twitter.com/Dee4Three84
User avatar
Dee4Three
Contributor
Contributor
 
Posts: 8388
Joined: Sun Mar 30, 2014 1:34 pm
Location: New Hampshire, USA

Re: 2K On Ice

Postby bluejaybrandon on Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:49 pm

Dee4Three wrote:They are not just IMPRESSION based. They impact the player movement in general, they impact catch and gos, first steps, acceleration in the open court, changing directions, in the paint etc. Its literally PLAYER MOVEMENT based.

Going 80% for an entire quarter on ISOs on HOF on ANYBODY and scoring at will is NOT realistic. Doing that on Lillard on the games hardest level with anybody and just continuing to score at will is not realistic AT ALL. No matter what.

Bringing up Live implying that I am being biased, when all I have done is talk about the issues with Lives gameplay, including in this thread several times stating that they have done a poor job? I have a video gameplay wise for Live critiquing it JUST LIKE 2K. Live has done a piss poor job overall for the better part or 13 years.

Implying that another reason would be that I dont know how to play the new game with the new motion system has nothing to do with ANY of the issues mentioned in the video, zero. That makes no sense given the context and the video that was shown.

Stating you hope I go back to 2K17 because of the negativity about 2K20? This is literally a thread created about the skating by someone else. The threads premise is A NEGATIVE about the game. The NLSC user feedback is going to be a mixture of positive and negative, critiques and praise. And that's what it should be.

That video doesnt hit all the issues, just some regarding the player movement, blow by issue, etc. Completely valid for this thread, this section, and can be posted on the impressions thread which is an open invite for POSITIVE and NEGATIVE feedback.


Andrew's post was a single line about how skating is still an issue with a 5-second clip to demonstrate it. You turned that into multiple paragraphs of complaints and a 15-minute video. It's obsessive and honestly unhealthy to just be that negative. What exactly is your goal? Nobody is going to watch that video and go.."ya know he's right, I was having fun but I think I'll refund the game because this player took the wrong step or slide into a dunk animation."

99% of what you claim are issues in the video, while admittedly contain sliding, still result in what one would expect as a rational result. Yes, that player slides into the animation, but it was a wide-open dunk he was going to make anyways. Yes, that player slides, after successfully beating an opponent off the dribble and already blowing by him. This is the ultimate in nitpicking. It's obvious you don't like it, but why dwell on it. Any rational person would realize they don't enjoy it, refund it, and move on.

To quote your own comment: "The last 3 2K games have just not been fun overall, more frustrating than fun. And when that happens, you need to stop playing, because you should enjoy what you are doing, that is the most important thing."
bluejaybrandon
 
Posts: 1972
Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2016 12:18 pm

Re: 2K On Ice

Postby Dee4Three on Sun Sep 08, 2019 4:02 pm

I have given feedback like this EVERY YEAR. Positive and Negative. This was happening anyway, and Tgsogood literally just asked for a video that went over some of the gameplay issues.

Obsessive because I uploaded a video highlighting some of the issues? Please explain, as that makes no sense. People who love basketball gaming upload hundreds of gameplay videos, sometimes they upload daily, because I put ONE out on 2K20 that only took a couple hours to make, that makes me obsessed? Or are you just saying that because you dont like the video? Think about it.

What's my purpose? 2K DOES listen, developers listen. I showed Mike Wang on Twitter a video for a camera view that was in 2K15 through 2K17, that they removed for 2K18 (it was broadcast generic related), and he replied back to me that he agreed that the camera view should be put back into the game for 2K19, and he put it back in (it was the broadcast generic view that didnt sit directly behind the player bringing up the ball, the ball handler was more center).

I made a critique video for AO international Tennis, and suggested a preferred surface option (Like Nadal who is best on Klay), and the lead gameplay designer emailed me and told me he liked the idea, and it was patched into the game.

Making the videos and getting eyes on it can possibly fix some gameplay issues that bother people, like the REAL ISSUES in that video related to player movement.

It's not nitpicking for me, and those issues do impact outcomes. When you speed is breaking, you dont get to your destination the way you should, when you are being sucked into other players, your movement is unrealistically impacted and the result is altered, when you cant catch and go correctly or make a first step realistically, it impacts the outcome as well. Those issues directly impact the feel, flow, and authenticity.

This video is appropriate, and highlighted actual issues in the game

The video has a purpose

The video doesnt show anything unhealthy or related to "obsession", it's a gameplay video like any other, with the exception of it not being positive

Your last comment makes no sense here, either. Basketball gaming is an important part of my life, and I want the games to succeed, be fun, and do well. Issues need to be highlighted, regardless. Consumer feedback is everything, the negative is just as important as the positive. I give feedback every year.

The purpose is: These videos DO get views, and it also gives me an opportunity to tweet out videos to the devs (Which they have responded at times, like my example above). This was my video last year highlighting the skating issues in 2K19. And someone just asked me on the 2K20 one which game I recommend between 2K18 and 2K17. There are people who WANT this feedback, and when I used to Stream people did ask for my recommendations and thoughts on games.

Image
Image
Image
Image

The purpose is OBVIOUS. It's to highlight issues in hopes of 2K and Live improving the final product, or future releases.
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Check out my YouTube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvHJXrqit8Dc6HBY5P6EmAA


Follow me on Twitter

https://twitter.com/Dee4Three84
User avatar
Dee4Three
Contributor
Contributor
 
Posts: 8388
Joined: Sun Mar 30, 2014 1:34 pm
Location: New Hampshire, USA

Re: 2K On Ice

Postby bluejaybrandon on Sun Sep 08, 2019 4:25 pm

Dee4Three wrote:I have given feedback like this EVERY YEAR. Positive and Negative. This was happening anyway, and Tgsogood literally just asked for a video that went over some of the gameplay issues.

Obsessive because I uploaded a video highlighting some of the issues? Please explain, as that makes no sense. People who love basketball gaming upload hundreds of gameplay videos, sometimes they upload daily, because I put ONE out on 2K20 that only took a couple hours to make, that makes me obsessed? Or are you just saying that because you dont like the video? Think about it.

What's my purpose? 2K DOES listen, developers listen. I showed Mike Wang on Twitter a video for a camera view that was in 2K15 through 2K17, that they removed for 2K18 (it was broadcast generic related), and he replied back to me that he agreed that the camera view should be put back into the game for 2K19, and he put it back in (it was the broadcast generic view that didnt sit directly behind the player bringing up the ball, the ball handler was more center).

I made a critique video for AO international Tennis, and suggested a preferred surface option (Like Nadal who is best on Klay), and the lead gameplay designer emailed me and told me he liked the idea, and it was patched into the game.

Making the videos and getting eyes on it can possibly fix some gameplay issues that bother people, like the REAL ISSUES in that video related to player movement.

It's not nitpicking for me, and those issues do impact outcomes. When you speed is breaking, you dont get to your destination the way you should, when you are being sucked into other players, your movement is unrealistically impacted and the result is altered, when you cant catch and go correctly or make a first step realistically, it impacts the outcome as well. Those issues directly impact the feel, flow, and authenticity.

This video is appropriate, and highlighted actual issues in the game

The video has a purpose

The video doesnt show anything unhealthy or related to "obsession", it's a gameplay video like any other, with the exception of it not being positive

Your last comment makes no sense here, either. Basketball gaming is an important part of my life, and I want the games to succeed, be fun, and do well. Issues need to be highlighted, regardless. Consumer feedback is everything, the negative is just as important as the positive. I give feedback every year.


Sounds good man. You keep hating it and I'll keep enjoying it. This discussion will go nowhere and I'm not gonna turn this into another rant thread. Each year you come to the new game, complain, and go back. It's tiresome to have paragraphs written about personal gripes and 15 minute videos trying to break down nuanced flaws.

Your yearly posts and videos are like an echo chamber. I don't want to feed the hate so I won't respond to anything else in this thread. No need for any more endless negativity about a game the majority are enjoying.
bluejaybrandon
 
Posts: 1972
Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2016 12:18 pm

Re: 2K On Ice

Postby Dee4Three on Sun Sep 08, 2019 4:40 pm

bluejaybrandon wrote:
Dee4Three wrote:I have given feedback like this EVERY YEAR. Positive and Negative. This was happening anyway, and Tgsogood literally just asked for a video that went over some of the gameplay issues.

Obsessive because I uploaded a video highlighting some of the issues? Please explain, as that makes no sense. People who love basketball gaming upload hundreds of gameplay videos, sometimes they upload daily, because I put ONE out on 2K20 that only took a couple hours to make, that makes me obsessed? Or are you just saying that because you dont like the video? Think about it.

What's my purpose? 2K DOES listen, developers listen. I showed Mike Wang on Twitter a video for a camera view that was in 2K15 through 2K17, that they removed for 2K18 (it was broadcast generic related), and he replied back to me that he agreed that the camera view should be put back into the game for 2K19, and he put it back in (it was the broadcast generic view that didnt sit directly behind the player bringing up the ball, the ball handler was more center).

I made a critique video for AO international Tennis, and suggested a preferred surface option (Like Nadal who is best on Klay), and the lead gameplay designer emailed me and told me he liked the idea, and it was patched into the game.

Making the videos and getting eyes on it can possibly fix some gameplay issues that bother people, like the REAL ISSUES in that video related to player movement.

It's not nitpicking for me, and those issues do impact outcomes. When you speed is breaking, you dont get to your destination the way you should, when you are being sucked into other players, your movement is unrealistically impacted and the result is altered, when you cant catch and go correctly or make a first step realistically, it impacts the outcome as well. Those issues directly impact the feel, flow, and authenticity.

This video is appropriate, and highlighted actual issues in the game

The video has a purpose

The video doesnt show anything unhealthy or related to "obsession", it's a gameplay video like any other, with the exception of it not being positive

Your last comment makes no sense here, either. Basketball gaming is an important part of my life, and I want the games to succeed, be fun, and do well. Issues need to be highlighted, regardless. Consumer feedback is everything, the negative is just as important as the positive. I give feedback every year.


Sounds good man. You keep hating it and I'll keep enjoying it. This discussion will go nowhere and I'm not gonna turn this into another rant thread. Each year you come to the new game, complain, and go back. It's tiresome to have paragraphs written about personal gripes and 15 minute videos trying to break down nuanced flaws.

You're yearly posts and videos are like an echo chamber. I don't want to feed the hate so I won't respond to anything else in this thread. No need for any more endless negativity about a game the majority are enjoying.


Bluejay, all you are doing is talking nonsense. None of what you said changes anything in the video, the purpose of it, the point of giving feedback even if its negative, or anything.

The implying that I don't know how to play the game, or that I am favoring Live by posting the video, or that I somehow have an unhealthy obsession because I posted a critique video, is telling. Its uncalled for, insulting,an out of line.

Stating that the issues mentioned doesnt impact outcomes is also not true, and a comment made that required more thought out of you. It's obvious to anybody that speed/acceleration breaking, and being sucked into other players, literally impacts outcomes. It impacts how you play, the results, etc.

Nothing you have said changes the fact that every year these companies need negative feedback, critiques of the game, they use those critiques to fix issues and improve the series. Those are literally facts, every company does this. My feedback is just as important as any positive feedback. That's the reason we have threads like this, or impressionthreads, and wishlist threads.

Think about this whole thread, the premise, and the things you implied about me because I critiqued the game, the negative comments you have made about me, etc.

You said I had an unhealthy obsession because I created that video. Does that make TGsoGood also obsessed because he asked for the video? And what does that make you with your comments and time spent on this thread? You have spent as much time on this thread as I did making the video. So explain how that is fair in any way shape or form?
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Check out my YouTube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvHJXrqit8Dc6HBY5P6EmAA


Follow me on Twitter

https://twitter.com/Dee4Three84
User avatar
Dee4Three
Contributor
Contributor
 
Posts: 8388
Joined: Sun Mar 30, 2014 1:34 pm
Location: New Hampshire, USA

Re: 2K On Ice

Postby Andrew on Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:31 am

There is a learning curve to the motion system and certainly the sprint usage this year, but there are still problems with the movement that I think we can rightfully point out and critique.

Let's be fair here: if it was happening in NBA Live (which has its own issues with its motion system), it would be called out and a lot of people would be giggling at such a shortcoming. And hey, fair enough. However, just because 2K is so much further ahead than Live, it shouldn't get a pass on these things. The issues with Live don't invalidate critique of 2K, and vice versa. Obviously there will be comparisons, but problems in one game don't justify the problems in the other.

The sliding that I demonstrated in the first post certainly isn't a good look from an aesthetic point of view, but it does affect the on-court experience as well. Players skating and snapping into place like that doesn't just look less realistic, it also means they're able to elude defenders in a way that's unnatural. Because their feet are no longer moving, CPU defenders don't keep moving to stay with them, because by their logic there's no reason to keep chasing a defender who's stopped moving, and a player whose feet aren't moving theoretically isn't going anywhere. However, thanks to the sliding and snapping into place, they do actually keep moving, putting the defender out of position in a way they shouldn't have been if their man hadn't skated several feet across the court. So yeah, it's a problem and it needs to be cleaned up, though it feels like it's going to have to be a next gen thing.

As far as controlling players, I'd say my biggest complaint is that there are times when it's hard to make slight movements by feathering the left stick as in years past. It's still possible, though there is some clunkiness to it with jerky/exaggerated movement and sudden stops that don't feel quite right. Something about it feels off, and again, I know there's a learning curve, but that old "running in mud" feeling has returned. AI opponents feel like they're a few steps quicker too, and the fact that you need to conserve sprint doesn't help there. I'm still getting used to it and sometimes it feels better than others, but I do think there are a few underlying problems that unfortunately likely won't be fixed until the next generation.

I also have a feeling these issues are exacerbated by player ratings and animations, because regular NBA players tend to control better than a MyPLAYER in need of upgrades. However, the feeling of being a step or two slower than a CPU opponent, and getting drawn into a blow-by animation, is noticeable in regular gameplay as well. Again, I want to give it some more time, but I don't believe it's all user-related.
NLSC Webmaster/Administrator
Image
Contact: Email | Twitter
Release Topics: NBA Live 08 | NBA Live 07 | NBA Live 06 | NBA Live 2005 | NBA Live 2004
Story Topics: NBA 2K19 | NBA 2K13 | NBA Live 06 (Part 2) | NBA Live 06 (HOF) | NBA Live 2004 (HOF)
NLSC: Podcast | The Friday Five | Monday Tip-Off | Wayback Wednesday | 20th Anniversary of NBA Live | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube


Support The NLSC Hosting Fund: Patreon | GoFundMe

Image
Like my work? Want to help out with the NLSC Hosting Fund? Please consider leaving a tip!
User avatar
Andrew
The One Admin
Administrator
 
Posts: 108462
Joined: Thu Aug 22, 2002 9:51 pm
Location: Australia

Re: 2K On Ice

Postby Dee4Three on Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:28 am

And again, it's important to give that feedback to 2K. We are the front lines, our voices matter.

The user related part: Clearly the issues I mention are not user fault. It's not my fault that a player is unrealstically sucked into other players, or that I can just run by the CPU with quick guards and forwards, or that speed breaks randomly, or the players skate and float, those are literally motion system/game issues.

Both games have gameplay flaws. Live is plagued with unrealistic motion issues (stiff/robotic movements, etc) one handed passing, canned animations, lack of authenticity, etc. 2K has motion system issues I mentioned, etc.

But insulting me, and stating that if I dont like it, go away, is flat out wrong here. And mentioning that you want to avoid ME going on a rant, when you are the one who came at me with BS, makes no sense and deserves to be called out. Anybody would defend themselves (and have the right to) given the circumstances here, where they were literally just giving feedback about a game (which is part of he NLSC), didnt make anything up, etc.

Let's move on.
Last edited by Dee4Three on Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Check out my YouTube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvHJXrqit8Dc6HBY5P6EmAA


Follow me on Twitter

https://twitter.com/Dee4Three84
User avatar
Dee4Three
Contributor
Contributor
 
Posts: 8388
Joined: Sun Mar 30, 2014 1:34 pm
Location: New Hampshire, USA

Next

Return to NBA 2K20

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests