CF Conversions to 2K19 ~ Updated CF Conversion Kit Tutorial RLSD 8/26!

A hub for everything related to NBA 2K19 modding. Releases, previews, requests, and other modding discussion belongs here.

Re: CF Conversions into NBA2K19 [2/17 B.Assign Tool (Complete) soon]

Postby trevorjpt33 on Tue Feb 26, 2019 4:58 pm

Dee4Three wrote:Sorry, here I was thinking that I may have figured out something lol

I'll experiment a little and see if I can figure anything out.

No you’re definitely on to something. It’s actually good it’s the same issue, I say this because I already have a tool to fix the assignments. And it is in line with everything I’ve come to learn about the models from each game. Sorry, the way I put it in my last post probably gave you the indication that I was being a debbie downer lol.

I attempted to convert down to 2K18 earlier on and even the face was messed up there. I didn’t even think to try 2K17 cause I figured the face was messed up there, too.
trevorjpt33

Postby jtc324 on Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:33 am

Any updates regarding this?
jtc324

Postby trevorjpt33 on Sat Mar 16, 2019 2:15 am

jtc324 wrote:Any updates regarding this?

Yes.

To my knowledge all of the bone assignments have been repaired and assigned correctly but there are still a decent amount of invisible spots. Right now I am working on getting the vertex weights to match up with all the changes, because they both impact one another, and hopefully any invisible spots left will be resolved by doing that.

If there are still issues beyond that, I am just going to have to take the L on this one because I don't know what else I can do. It's a little easier to let it be now because of all that I have picked up along the way, so this will not have been a complete waste of time. A lot can be applied to 2K19 and future games.
trevorjpt33

Re: CF Conversions into NBA2K19

Postby trevorjpt33 on Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:45 am

Bit of an encouraging find today.. Right now, I'm looking for anything, anywhere that is messed up or not how it's supposed to be - and I was able to find that when checking out the vertex weights.

Since the bone assignments and vertex weights are so closely related, with what I'm currently doing I can double check if all the bone assignments have indeed been fixed as well. I can test any edits I make to either property by animating the model and seeing if there are any oddities when the parts move. I am really hoping that in addressing this I will be addressing all of the remaining issues with converted players. But with the nature of how this has been, I will fix these things and then there will be something else lol.

Re: the vertex weights
Saw a couple areas that don't look completely right, and one example is in the trap/neck area (one of the big problem areas in converted models), in a weight group that is supposed to be just the hips.

trevorjpt33

Postby Kelvinchan327 on Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:54 pm

Great master, so we can expert the tool is coming!? ^^
Kelvinchan327

Postby bluejaybrandon on Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:23 pm

So is it my understanding that you can convert full head shapes now and it’s just aspects of the body that need fixed? If that’s the case, can those just be manually touched up in blender? Or are they hidden by the jersey? I apologize, I’m very excited for this because it speeds up my draft class creations, but I admit I’m ignorant on the intricacies of the process.
bluejaybrandon

Postby TGsoGood on Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:59 pm

Trevor another great find. How did you get the player in a different pose in that 2nd picture? Just curious.
Follow me on PATREON https://www.patreon.com/TGsoGood
Consider donating: http://cash.me/$TheJohnsonFamily or http://paypal.me/4TheGoods
Follow me on twitter @TGsoGood
Check me out on youtube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPydhZ ... PeRSmEVynQ

NBA 2K21 TGsoGood Mods and releases - viewtopic.php?f=267&t=110608
NBA 2K17 TGsoGood Mods and releases - viewtopic.php?f=225&t=102251#p1860681
NBA 2K14 TGsoGood Mods and releases - viewtopic.php?f=153&t=96056
TGsoGood
Contributor
Contributor

Postby trevorjpt33 on Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:29 pm

bluejaybrandon wrote:So is it my understanding that you can convert full head shapes now and it’s just aspects of the body that need fixed? If that’s the case, can those just be manually touched up in blender? Or are they hidden by the jersey? I apologize, I’m very excited for this because it speeds up my draft class creations, but I admit I’m ignorant on the intricacies of the process.

The upper half of the head shape with all the facial features has actually been fine from the beginning. Due to a lot of change in the skeleton/bones, there were many invalid assignments of bones to vertices throughout the body. Thus the converted players looked like inflatables. Unfortunately, this issue can not be seen or dealt with in Blender using our addon.The geometry of the model itself shows up completely normal in Blender.

Things like the eyes and facial features were unharmed because they practically have no bone assignments anyway. I fixed any other values and have done further reassigning of bones, because although the player actually took the shape of a player, there were lots of invisible patches left.

Right now, I have repaired the bone assignments entirely as far as I can tell, but there are still lots of invisible patches. I am currently trying to clean up vertex weights (interdependent with bones) to line up with the changes. Been doing this through blender and have spent my time recently finding access to that data for edits and exporting.

TGsoGood wrote:Trevor another great find. How did you get the player in a different pose in that 2nd picture? Just curious.

I can PM you a brief screencap of me setting it up in blender. It should be easier to just copy what I do as opposed to me writing the steps here.
trevorjpt33

Postby trevorjpt33 on Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:19 am

Hey guys. I was able to access the data I was referring to in Blender and export it back into the model file. And *shocker*, whenever I checked out the edits in game, no improvements to the state of the model. Overall, I managed to fix one big issue with the skeleton, but it seems there is another big issue beyond that. I have no clue what else it could be. So at this point, I'm going to take the L here and let this be. I'm stubborn, but not enough to the point where I'm going to do this the whole game's life cycle.

I will probably still tinker with it periodically in my own time, but I am no longer going to direct my energy towards it or put forth any sort of anticipation of it happening - instead, to turn my attention toward 2K19 modding in my other thread and providing tools/mods that are actually useful for general modding in 2K19. This all wasn't a complete waste of time atleast, since a lot of the stuff I picked up applies equally to all of the games.

*Edit 5/11/19
To clear up any confusion for anyone who has been following the thread, or anyone reading for the first time...

I am no longer working on converting cyberfaces into 2K19, in the end I could not resolve the issues with converted players to the point of them being usable by any standard. This also means that none of the tools mentioned/attached in this thread have the capability to do conversions. By all means, if you are curious and want to download them or think you have another use for them, go ahead but the tools WILL NOT CONVERT PLAYERS SUCCESSFULLY INTO 2K19
Last edited by trevorjpt33 on Sun May 12, 2019 4:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
trevorjpt33

Postby jtc324 on Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:01 am

Well thanks for trying and dedicating so much time to it. I read in a earlier post that the actual head structure converts over fine. Is there a way to bring the head skeleton (above the shoulders) over from 2k17 or 2k18 to an existing 2k19 body?
jtc324

Postby trevorjpt33 on Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:34 am

jtc324 wrote:Well thanks for trying and dedicating so much time to it. I read in a earlier post that the actual head structure converts over fine. Is there a way to bring the head skeleton (above the shoulders) over from 2k17 or 2k18 to an existing 2k19 body?

Unfortunately not that I could find. I found that when inserting vertex data into the middle of another file like that, things get tricky because of the difference in the vertex order between the models. You have to go in and adjust the vertex index (ids), and if you do that, you have to update every section and there's a domino effect that happens. All these changes don't sit well with other parts of the file that we don't use in Blender/I don't know much about. Below is the closest I got with this method.

Beyond the way it looks, there is something animation-wise that is off. It was teasingly close, actually.
trevorjpt33

Re: CF Conversions into NBA2K19 [[INACTIVE]]

Postby trevorjpt33 on Fri Jun 28, 2019 5:34 am

This might be a little late.. But with some of the things I figured out with the 3D Accessory Tool I realized that there was more I could do to manipulate the shaders + vertex groups to avoid whatever weird stuff that unknown "TEXCOORD7" section (or some other unknown section) of the file was doing to the facial animations.

So I revisited the method of putting just the 3D head of a 2K18 player onto a 2K19 player. Found there is a much easier way than I previously thought to include only the upper half of the 2K18 player's "blend_headShape" group - which includes the head and all of the facial features - so that we can exclude the lower half, where all the rest of the issues were. We will need to patch up the area where it splits to conceal that it is parts of 2 players' "blend_headShape" groups, similar to what we do after shrinkwrapping in Blender. Also, we will likely need to do the same kind of thing to clean up eye animations that we did last year with converted players in 2K18.

There's still work to be done but this is the closest thing to usable that I've seen a converted player in 2K19 by a wide margin. And the present issues feel like NOTHING compared to what they were at the time of my last attempt with this method. Scroll up 1 post for a screenshot of what that looked like... Anyways, this is 2K18 default Charles Barkley, that I converted into 2K19 today:

Last edited by trevorjpt33 on Fri Jun 28, 2019 5:55 am, edited 3 times in total.
trevorjpt33

Re: CF Conversions into NBA2K19 [[INACTIVE]]

Postby bluejaybrandon on Fri Jun 28, 2019 5:38 am

Much improved! Man this would be such a relief going forward with 2k modding! Especially if it can be carried over into 2k20.
bluejaybrandon

Re: CF Conversions to 2K19 {Update, Screenshot 6/27/19}

Postby Dee4Three on Fri Jun 28, 2019 6:25 am

Wow! Nice work!
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Check out my YouTube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvHJXrqit8Dc6HBY5P6EmAA

Follow me on Twitter

https://twitter.com/Dee4Three84
Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby MonkeymanJSV on Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:11 am

This is awesome and I agree with bluejay, I hope we can keep it going with 2k19 to 2k20 as I’m set to begin work on 2020 prospects
If you enjoy my Mods please follow my Instagram
https://www.instagram.com/monkeymanmods/
If you’d like to support me and my mods please donate here
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?c ... source=url
https://www.youtube.com/user/MonkeymanJSV
MonkeymanJSV

Postby Shuajota on Fri Jun 28, 2019 5:22 pm

MonkeymanJSV wrote:This is awesome and I agree with bluejay, I hope we can keep it going with 2k19 to 2k20 as I’m set to begin work on 2020 prospects

Great work trevorjpt33! I agree too, I hope my 120 cfs for Euroleague mod work in 2K20.
Shuajota
NBA2K Mods: www.shuajota.com

Postby trevorjpt33 on Sat Jun 29, 2019 1:20 pm

Thanks guys. I tried adding in a face loop that connects the two halves of the blend_headShape group and that looks like the way to go to prevent the opening from being exposed when the neck area moves. Right now I am trying to work these additional faces into the UV Map smoothly to make sure the textures on them don't appear distorted compared to the surrounding faces.

Excuse the weird eye movements, which I have not gotten to yet. The first clip shows how it looked in game before doing this. And the second shows how it looks after adding in the face loop.
phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]
trevorjpt33

Postby mrk326 on Sat Jun 29, 2019 3:36 pm

this is fantastic new! great work!
ACCEPTING DONATIONS
DONATE
mrk326

Postby TGsoGood on Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:54 pm

Ok this looks great far beyond anything I was picturing.
So I remember I was able to convert 2K17 to 2K18 with this I could potentially convert from 2K17 to 2K19 and hopefully 2K20.

Would this allow us to to go from 2K19 back to 2K18?
If it does then I can potentially convert some current 2K19 rookies and sophomores to 2K17.
Follow me on PATREON https://www.patreon.com/TGsoGood
Consider donating: http://cash.me/$TheJohnsonFamily or http://paypal.me/4TheGoods
Follow me on twitter @TGsoGood
Check me out on youtube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPydhZ ... PeRSmEVynQ

NBA 2K21 TGsoGood Mods and releases - viewtopic.php?f=267&t=110608
NBA 2K17 TGsoGood Mods and releases - viewtopic.php?f=225&t=102251#p1860681
NBA 2K14 TGsoGood Mods and releases - viewtopic.php?f=153&t=96056
TGsoGood
Contributor
Contributor

Postby trevorjpt33 on Thu Jul 04, 2019 7:15 am

TGsoGood wrote:Ok this looks great far beyond anything I was picturing.
So I remember I was able to convert 2K17 to 2K18 with this I could potentially convert from 2K17 to 2K19 and hopefully 2K20.

Would this allow us to to go from 2K19 back to 2K18?
If it does then I can potentially convert some current 2K19 rookies and sophomores to 2K17.

My experience a while back when I messed around with converting from 2K19 back to 2K18 was that it was even worse than vice versa. The head is even messed up. I have yet to try it with 2K17.
trevorjpt33

Postby trevorjpt33 on Thu Jul 04, 2019 8:11 am

trevorjpt33 wrote:I tried adding in a face loop that connects the two halves of the blend_headShape group and that looks like the way to go to prevent the opening from being exposed when the neck area moves. Right now I am trying to work these additional faces into the UV Map smoothly to make sure the textures on them don't appear distorted compared to the surrounding faces.

^ Regarding this... I can confirm that this does work in preventing the gap from showing pretty much every time the neck moves. It's not perfect but I got the added faces to play as nice with the textures as I could and not to stick out like a sore thumb. And I can show you guys how to accomplish this in Blender in only a few minutes, which will not require much Blender experience.

The conversion process is actually looking like it will be less time consuming than last year. It's a bit more complicated, but on your guys end you will just need to change some things in the hihead.SCNE file, and follow some instructions in Blender.

The luxury we have for conversions this year is that unlike from 2K17 to 2K18, the general posture of the player and location of stuff like the arms, torso, etc. did not change at all, and there are very minimal differences in the geometry - Anyways, here's a few more in game clips of the Barkley converted from 2K18:
phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]
Last edited by trevorjpt33 on Fri Jul 05, 2019 9:44 am, edited 4 times in total.
trevorjpt33

Postby trevorjpt33 on Thu Jul 04, 2019 3:09 pm

One other thing I want to mention about player conversions is that facial animations that have to do with the jaw/mouth/lips are barely noticeable if noticeable at all. Not sure if that is a deal-breaker for some of you who are interested in using converted players. For me personally, prior to the latest developments I had been seeing this hideous thing (first clip) for months, so it's extremely hard for me to be discouraged at all about it:

phpBB [video]

*Edit* This is what we are looking at now prior to cleaning up the eyes for each method.. This clip is of the first method (working from a 2K19 file), and the next one is of the second method (working from the original 2K18 file):
phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]
Last edited by trevorjpt33 on Fri Jul 05, 2019 9:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
trevorjpt33

Re: CF Conversions to 2K19 {7/3/19 Update}

Postby trevorjpt33 on Fri Jul 05, 2019 7:43 am

Yo if anybody saw in my last post I was talking about one limitation with converted players via the method of using a 2K19 file as a base.. Which is that facial animations with the mouth and jaw are barely noticeable. Just for the heck of it I went back and tried doing the opposite method of adding things into the original 2K18 player's file - the animations for the mouth do work (with the downside being that there is more jersey and accessory clipping)

With both of these methods the player shows up about the same in the game. Can you guys help me take a look at which method would be more desirable overall?

Below are converted 2K18 Charles Barkley's files labeled for both methods for you to throw in-game and mess around with and see what you think. Just drag into your modded folder and you should be good:
First method 2K19 file.zip

Second method 2K18 file.zip
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
trevorjpt33

Re: CF Conversions to 2K19 {7/4 Download & Test 2K18 Barkley!}

Postby garypayton on Sat Jul 06, 2019 8:13 am

I just tried the first method and the second, i think the first is better
garypayton

Re: CF Conversions to 2K19 {7/4 Download & Test 2K18 Barkley!}

Postby trevorjpt33 on Sun Jul 07, 2019 1:23 am

garypayton wrote:I just tried the first method and the second, i think the first is better

That's what I am leaning towards as well. The only advantage to the second method is the mouth animations working but even those don't seem all the way right, and the player movements look a lot cleaner with the first method.
trevorjpt33

PreviousNext

Return to NBA 2K19 Modding