Computer Spec Question

Talk about NBA 2K19 here.

Computer Spec Question

Postby Stildo33 on Thu May 16, 2019 12:38 pm

1) If this isn't the right forum, I do apologize.
2) I have a question on my gaming PC. It runs NBA 2k19 just fine with zero issues. My question is, how long will it last and what parts can I upgrade?

Here is the PC I bought about 2.5 years ago. Has a Nvidia 1060 in it. I will replace the PC, if needed, in next 2-3 years. In the meantime, I don't mind spending $400-$700 to make it perform better during this time. My PC has 500 watts. I would, perhaps later this year, replace my 1060 with a 2060-2080 depending on when prices come down some. I believe I will need to upgrade my power when doing so to 600w or 700w. With the specs I currently have on my PC, will that still run games fairly well? I just don''t know technical stuff enough to know. Like I said, I'd rather spend $400-$700 now so I can wait longer and overspend later, haha!

My PC specs are below

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-g11cd ... Id=5614800
Stildo33

Re: Computer Spec Question

Postby sticky-fingers on Thu May 16, 2019 5:05 pm

i guess your config should be able to run most of the game in 1080p, till the next gen. of consoles.
playing at higher res. 2K / 4K or even more with DSR, requires an high end pc (or old games).
next big thing on graphics is ray tracing, but here's again imo it's linked with next gen. consoles.
about your power supply, if you stay on nvidia it could be enough, they're really trying to optimize the consumption of their card.
my NBA2K : YouTube | flickr

"If that's the last image of Michael Jordan, how magnificent is it ?"
Bob Costas
sticky-fingers

Postby Stildo33 on Fri May 17, 2019 12:36 am

sticky-fingers wrote:i guess your config should be able to run most of the game in 1080p, till the next gen. of consoles.
playing at higher res. 2K / 4K or even more with DSR, requires an high end pc (or old games).
next big thing on graphics is ray tracing, but here's again imo it's linked with next gen. consoles.
about your power supply, if you stay on nvidia it could be enough, they're really trying to optimize the consumption of their card.

Got it. So....should I just wait a year or so and spend the money on something big then instead? What would you recommend?

I just bought an alienware laptop that has a 2060 and love it so far. Obviously with a desktop i can do more. I probably won't go spend on 4k on a PC, but I'd spend 2-2.5k to get something awesome. Mine was only like 1200 at when I bought it.
Stildo33

Postby sticky-fingers on Fri May 17, 2019 1:05 am

2k or 4k wasnt about the price but the resolution :mrgreen:
DSR / Downsampling is " the concept of rendering the game at a much higher, custom made, resolution than your monitor is capable of displaying and subsequently having the GPU rescale the image ( as in downsample ) to that of your monitor's native resolution to which the end result is a "cleaner", sharper and less aliased image. " more info here https://www.neogaf.com/threads/downsamp ... er.509076/
For example on old 2K gen, my games run at 5K (downsampled to 2K, max res. of my monitor), and the result is amazing.

RTX cards are the first gen of raytracing, and results arent IMO impressive at all.
So my advice is to wait and see what happens in the next 24 months.

BTW my only major purchase since 2 years was a 24' gsync monitor, it's expensive (400€) but disabling vsync changes mostly everything.
my NBA2K : YouTube | flickr

"If that's the last image of Michael Jordan, how magnificent is it ?"
Bob Costas
sticky-fingers

Postby Stildo33 on Sun May 19, 2019 9:40 pm

Nice. Guess I need a new monitor to start with!

I bought this one a year ago: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/hp-omen-by ... Id=5823065
Stildo33

Return to NBA 2K19