Why doesn't 2K work on net physics

Talk about NBA 2K19 here.

Why doesn't 2K work on net physics

Postby Dreamer4321 on Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:09 am

I am a long term fan of NBA 2K games. It is a great basketball simulation and the developers have improved many aspects of the game over the years.

However, one of the things that annoy me every year is the rim net physics/animations. I have spoken to a lot of NBA 2k gamers and many of them are put off by the net physics. Nevertheless, they hesitate to complain about it, because they are afraid that they may sound too fussy. For me it's a big deal. This is a basketball simulation, and the ultimate purpose of playing basketball is to score baskets. Whenever you score,you want to feel the satisfaction of the ball interacting with the net realistically.

The two most annoying things with NBA 2k19's net are:

1) Whenever the net rises over the rim, it starts moving backwards. This doesn't happen in real life.
2) The speed of the NBA 2K net movement is noticeably slower than the real-life net.

This is 2018 and the 2K team have the technology to scan real life rim net animations and transfer them into the game. However, they do a half-finished job every year.
I contacted 2K by submitting a request at their site and they told me that they will pass my feedback to the development team. I am not hopeful that they will do anything though.
Dreamer4321

Re: Why doesn't 2K work on net physics

Postby bluejaybrandon on Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:48 am

Dreamer4321 wrote:I am a long term fan of NBA 2K games. It is a great basketball simulation and the developers have improved many aspects of the game over the years.

However, one of the things that annoy me every year is the rim net physics/animations. I have spoken to a lot of NBA 2k gamers and many of them are put off by the net physics. Nevertheless, they hesitate to complain about it, because they are afraid that they may sound too fussy. For me it's a big deal. This is a basketball simulation, and the ultimate purpose of playing basketball is to score baskets. Whenever you score,you want to feel the satisfaction of the ball interacting with the net realistically.

The two most annoying things with NBA 2k19's net are:

1) Whenever the net rises over the rim, it starts moving backwards. This doesn't happen in real life.
2) The speed of the NBA 2K net movement is noticeably slower than the real-life net.

This is 2018 and the 2K team have the technology to scan real life rim net animations and transfer them into the game. However, they do a half-finished job every year.
I contacted 2K by submitting a request at their site and they told me that they will pass my feedback to the development team. I am not hopeful that they will do anything though.

I don't know if this is exactly what you're looking for but Looyah has edited net physics every year.

Net Physics

I'm not really sure much of 2k's audience actually plays basketball regularly so I doubt they notice. It's a minor thing compared to how the star players look and how much VC they can sell.
bluejaybrandon

Re: Why doesn't 2K work on net physics

Postby Uncle Drew on Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:38 am

^^ What does net physics actually do, if you don't mind me asking?
Uncle Drew

Return to NBA 2K19