The Road to 99 (NBA 2K19 Edition)

Talk about NBA 2K19 here.

The Road to 99 (NBA 2K19 Edition)

Postby Andrew on Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:28 pm

If you're playing MyCAREER and/or the connected online modes, what's your current progress on the Road to 99? Have you spent any money on VC or benefit from pre-ordering the 20th Anniversary Edition, or are you just grinding?

I'm doing my best to avoid buying any VC this year, and so I'm grinding up the old-fashioned way. It's made the few online games the NLSC squad has played a bit more challenging for me, since I'm still a paltry 64 Overall. It hasn't been completely unbearable though, and MyCAREER itself is more enjoyable than in NBA 2K18. My original intention was to take a break from MyCAREER this year, so it's definitely been a lower priority, though the prospect of playing some games with the guys has encouraged me to consider grinding a bit. I've worked my way up to Sixth Man status through nine games, and have earned six Badges. Badge grinding is certainly less of a chore this year, too.
NLSC Webmaster/Administrator
Release Topics: NBA Live 08 | NBA Live 07 | NBA Live 06 | NBA Live 2005 | NBA Live 2004
Story Topics: NBA 2K19 | NBA 2K13 | NBA Live 06 (Part 2) | NBA Live 06 (HOF) | NBA Live 2004 (HOF)
NLSC: Podcast | The Friday Five | Monday Tip-Off | Wayback Wednesday | 20th Anniversary of NBA Live | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube

Support The NLSC Hosting Fund: Patreon | GoFundMe

Like my work? Want to help out with the NLSC Hosting Fund? Please consider leaving a tip!
Andrew
The One Admin
Administrator

Re: The Road to 99 (NBA 2K19 Edition)

Postby DaCrispy on Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:03 pm

Haven't bought VC and never will but I'm at a 73 with almost all my badges on at least bronze with a couple on silver.
The NLSC's resident Jimmermaniac

Specialize in modding NBA 2K11 + 14 and making Tutorials on how to do it :cool:

YouTube | G-League Story Thread | Discord | Facebook Group | 2K11 G-League Update | 2K11 Update Mods | NCAA Basketball 18 | College Hoops 2K11

If you are a fan of my work please consider a donation. Any amount is greatly appreciated
DaCrispy
Jimmmermaniac
Contributor

Postby Andrew on Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:33 pm

Currently at 75 Overall, still no money spent on VC. I do actually have enough to go up to 78 Overall, but for the moment I'm just letting the funds build up so that I can make some significant upgrades and jump up to 80 Overall.

Incidentally, I wrote about grinding for VC and offered up some tips for it in a recent Friday Five article: https://www.nba-live.com/tff-5-tips-vc-mycareer/
Release Topics: NBA Live 08 | NBA Live 07 | NBA Live 06 | NBA Live 2005 | NBA Live 2004
Story Topics: NBA 2K19 | NBA 2K13 | NBA Live 06 (Part 2) | NBA Live 06 (HOF) | NBA Live 2004 (HOF)
NLSC: Podcast | The Friday Five | Monday Tip-Off | Wayback Wednesday | 20th Anniversary of NBA Live | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube

Like my work? Want to help out with the NLSC Hosting Fund? Please consider leaving a tip!
Andrew
The One Admin
Administrator

Postby StyxTx on Sun Dec 16, 2018 1:19 am

I have a question. Unless you create a defensive player, how do you play defense? My friend has the game and he is a 90 rated player now, but defensively, even though he tries to play good defense and doesn't take a lot of chances defensively (steal attempts, etc), every player he defends scores 40 or more point per game. Even the bench players, on a per 36 minute basis, average over 40 PPG. The AI just completely attacks him since he isn't able to get around picks, but even if he does, his own teammates get in the way and block him out. Even if he has a hand in the face of the dude he's defending, they still make a ridiculous number of shots. So, unless you set up a defensive player from the get-go, exactly how do you make your player better defensively, especially since the AI's game plan is to attack the human player since the human can't move as quick, for one thing. I mean the guys he defends (starter plus bench player) are scoring over 40% of their team's points EVERY game. His player just isn't quick enough to keep up, strong enough to get around picks, or good enough defensively to stop players even with his hand in their face.

This is in MyCareer (or 2k's career).
StyxTx

Postby Retroswald13 on Thu Dec 20, 2018 5:39 pm

Currently 91 overall. Didn't purchased any VC but need to grind more MyPoints to unlock the next set of attributes. This is the highest overall I attained in my 9 years playing NBA 2K.
Retroswald13
Oswald. Legend Mods Creator. 256 Project Starter. Real Cheerleaders. Kawaii Leonard.

Postby Andrew on Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:49 pm

Nice work! Unfortunately I was having some Internet issues around the time of release, so there was a couple of weeks where I couldn't play anything with an online component as I didn't know if my connection would last two hours or two minutes. That was a set back as I couldn't do anything with my online/connected MyCAREER save for a fortnight or so, and have been playing catch-up since. My next Cap Breaker should get me to a maximum of 90 Overall, though hitting that will be a ways off yet. I did manage to get to 95 Overall back in NBA 2K17.

Andrew
The One Admin
Administrator

Postby DaCrispy on Fri Dec 21, 2018 5:06 am

Highest I have ever gotten in NBA 2K through grinding was a 89 in NBA 2K15 on the Xbox 360

Currently a 74 :)

YouTube | G-League Story Thread | Discord | Facebook Group | 2K11 G-League Update | 2K11 Update Mods | NCAA Basketball 18 | College Hoops 2K11

If you are a fan of my work please consider a donation. Any amount is greatly appreciated
DaCrispy
Jimmmermaniac
Contributor

Postby Andrew on Fri Dec 21, 2018 12:32 pm

I upgraded to 80 Overall earlier in the week, and am now 82 Overall as of last night. Some Daily Bonuses and the Free Throw Tournament helped build up my VC balance for some quick upgrades after the jump from 75 to 80, which cost around 50,000 VC. I might even be able to max out all my Badges this year as well.

If only I could win the trivia jackpot. I came so close last week, but messed up on the last question. Still kicking myself for that one.

Andrew
The One Admin
Administrator

Postby Andrew on Mon Dec 24, 2018 11:24 pm

Progress seems to be a lot quicker once you hit 80. I'm now up to 86 Overall, with only five Gold Badges left to max out, and about a quarter of the way towards doing so on each. I need about 38,000 VC to hit the cap, which will get me to 90 Overall. Again, it's a long slog, but it does feel like an accomplishment doing it without buying any VC.

Andrew
The One Admin
Administrator

Postby DaCrispy on Tue Dec 25, 2018 1:20 pm

I got sick of the grind because on PC online is full of hackers and is unplayable unless you use them yourself and offline I won MVP while at 70 overall so no need to grind just for that.

DaCrispy
Jimmmermaniac
Contributor

Postby Andrew on Tue Dec 25, 2018 1:34 pm

I know what you mean. If the NLSC squad wasn't going to give team Pro-Am on PS4 a try in the new year when we've finally got five on a regular basis, I wouldn't be grinding as much. I haven't really put any time into MyCAREER on PC as I don't want to double up; I basically just played through The Prelude to get it done, try out a few different choices, and be able to skip right to The Neighborhood for screenshots and so forth.

Andrew
The One Admin
Administrator

Postby Andrew on Thu Dec 27, 2018 4:41 pm

Finally hit 90 Overall, all VC earned in-game except for the 5000 VC pre-order bonus for the standard edition. About halfway to maxing out the remaining five Badges.

Andrew
The One Admin
Administrator

Postby DaCrispy on Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:38 pm

Nicely Done :applaud:

DaCrispy
Jimmmermaniac
Contributor

Postby Andrew on Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:21 pm

Thanks! Now I can invest in some animations and clothing, as I should have plenty of VC saved up by the time I hit my next Cap Breaker.

Andrew
The One Admin
Administrator

Postby Andrew on Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:56 pm

Some reflections on finishing my first season in MyCAREER, and now aiming to qualify for the Hall of Fame: https://www.nba-live.com/mto-year-one-n ... -mycareer/

I've made it to 92 Overall, which means I no longer have to go to the Gatorade gym to replenish my boost. I really think they should do away with that mechanic in NBA 2K20, as it just adds tedious and repetitive busywork in between games. At least it's every five games in NBA 2K19, but it's still a hassle. At the very least, the Gym Rat Badge should be a reward for a much lower tier, or earned through your actions.

Andrew
The One Admin
Administrator

Postby Andrew on Sun Mar 03, 2019 12:04 pm

Finally got the Clutch Performer Badge, so the Capped Out trophy is mine, along with a full complement of maxed out Badges.

Andrew
The One Admin
Administrator

Return to NBA 2K19