Sluggish gameplay

Talk about NBA 2K19 here.

Sluggish gameplay

Postby elsoulas on Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:56 pm

Although i get 60-80 fps at times it feels sluggish, no stuttering though this year. I have a gsync monitor and setting buffer count to 1 helps a little. Any suggestions?
elsoulas

Re: Sluggish gameplay

Postby sticky-fingers on Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:04 pm

You know that vsync has to be disabled ?
sticky-fingers

Postby elsoulas on Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:38 pm

Yes I know it. Vsync is disabled.
elsoulas

Postby ThePointForward on Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:01 pm

Define sluggish. Slow? Lots of input lag (time between you perform action on your controller and when the action happens on the screen)?

Is this happening in all modes? Or only online?
ThePointForward
Formerly Dommy73

Postby elsoulas on Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:07 pm

Offline. I don't play online. There is no input lag and the frames are solid, but there are moments when movement feels and actually is slower.
elsoulas

Postby tobay2k on Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:17 am

I'm experiencing the same "issue" @elsoulas. I don't have gsync, only 60hz but the game never dips from 60fps, not in one camera perspektive which is more concerning why it seems "sluggish" at times. Only in gameplay "mode" I must say, Cutscenes, replays etc seem completely smooth. I just compared it with 2K18 again and it feels much smoother. Tried various workarounds like vsync ingame off and forcing through control panel, borderless windowed, buffer count, but nothing seems to change it. :x But as Online modes (myteam, playnow) are full of screen tearing on top, although there's none offline, I guess we'll have to wait for a patch :( or can anyone help? How's the performance/smoothness for you guys?
tobay2k

Postby Uncle Drew on Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:40 am

sticky-fingers wrote:You know that vsync has to be disabled ?

Well, why does the game say it runs smoother with it enabled? When I went to turn Vsync off, it asked me was I sure I wanted to do it, because the game doesn't run as smooth.
Uncle Drew

Postby tobay2k on Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:45 am

Uncle Drew wrote:

Well, why does the game say it runs smoother with it enabled? When I went to turn Vsync off, it asked me was I sure I wanted to do it, because the game doesn't run as smooth.

Only for Gsync it has to be disabled to work, if you're just gaming on a 60hz monitor/tv for sports games vsync is a must to get most conistent framerate
tobay2k

Postby sticky-fingers on Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:59 am

Uncle Drew wrote:

Because its right, except if You use gsync
sticky-fingers

Postby Dee4Three on Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:43 am

If you are talking about how the speed "breaks" sometimes when you are trying to accelerate, or how changing directions feels sluggish at times, and also noticing passing delays (Delay from when you push a button and it happens on screen) those are normal parts of the gameplay this year. Passing is heavy animation wise sometimes, and a delay occurs. You are also penalized for excessive dribbling/use of turbo in this game, causing your player to randomly just slow down and not move properly.

I went back and played 2K18, 2K17, 2K16 etc, and it doesn't have the broken acceleration issues, or the other issues I mentioned above.

So, its POSSIBLE that it's just the gameplay this year. However, I could be off base with that.
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Check out my YouTube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvHJXrqit8Dc6HBY5P6EmAA

Follow me on Twitter

https://twitter.com/Dee4Three84
Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby elsoulas on Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:00 am

Dee4Three wrote:If you are talking about how the speed "breaks" sometimes when you are trying to accelerate, or how changing directions feels sluggish at times, and also noticing passing delays (Delay from when you push a button and it happens on screen) those are normal parts of the gameplay this year. Passing is heavy animation wise sometimes, and a delay occurs. You are also penalized for excessive dribbling/use of turbo in this game, causing your player to randomly just slow down and not move properly.

I went back and played 2K18, 2K17, 2K16 etc, and it doesn't have the broken acceleration issues, or the other issues I mentioned above.

So, its POSSIBLE that it's just the gameplay this year. However, I could be off base with that.

That's what I am talking about. I don't think it has to do with the gameplay. It's poorly optimised, as always. The gameplay btw imho is solid this year.
elsoulas

Postby Dee4Three on Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:21 am

Well good luck.

I have an RX480 and havn't had any issues performance wise. But every year it's one system/component or another that has trouble with the game, like certain Nvidia cards.
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby elsoulas on Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:48 am

Dee4Three wrote:Well good luck.

I have an RX480 and havn't had any issues performance wise. But every year it's one system/component or another that has trouble with the game, like certain Nvidia cards.

I agree but I won't change my GTX 1080. It's a beast.
elsoulas

Postby Dee4Three on Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:21 am

elsoulas wrote:
Dee4Three wrote:If you are talking about how the speed "breaks" sometimes when you are trying to accelerate, or how changing directions feels sluggish at times, and also noticing passing delays (Delay from when you push a button and it happens on screen) those are normal parts of the gameplay this year. Passing is heavy animation wise sometimes, and a delay occurs. You are also penalized for excessive dribbling/use of turbo in this game, causing your player to randomly just slow down and not move properly.

That's what I am talking about. I don't think it has to do with the gameplay. It's poorly optimised, as always. The gameplay btw imho is solid this year.

I want to revisit this for a second, if you don't mind.

So everything I said is what you are experiencing, as it's also what I am experiencing (Clearly). I have played the game on PS4 pro AND XB1 as well, and it has the same issues gameplay wise as I have on PC..... I understand that you are concerned it's your system, but I don't think it is your system at all. Look around at comments on 2K19 gameplay videos for this game, and a lot of people are stating that it's sluggish, or the acceleration is broken, or speed is broken, etc.

I am not calling you a liar by any means, but what are the odds of both of us having entirely different setups on PC, but experiencing all of those same issues, and me also experiencing them on XB1 and PS4 Pro?

A lot of drives in this game have a "Break" in them, where you will get a first step, and suddenly your player will slow down for no reason (This happens whether your player is tired or not, and even if you have not been spamming turbo). Also on the fastbreak, it happens constantly, where you feel like players are running in slow motion, and they have no burst to them (Everything on the screen is just... sluggish). Changing directions also have hitches in them, and combining that with the sliding makes it feel sluggish, etc.

The gameplay this year is what you could be experiencing the issue with, not your system. Just asking you to keep an open mind.

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby elsoulas on Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:45 am

Dee4Three wrote:
elsoulas wrote:

I want to revisit this for a second, if you don't mind.

So everything I said is what you are experiencing, as it's also what I am experiencing (Clearly). I have played the game on PS4 pro AND XB1 as well, and it has the same issues gameplay wise as I have on PC..... I understand that you are concerned it's your system, but I don't think it is your system at all. Look around at comments on 2K19 gameplay videos for this game, and a lot of people are stating that it's sluggish, or the acceleration is broken, or speed is broken, etc.

I am not calling you a liar by any means, but what are the odds of both of us having entirely different setups on PC, but experiencing all of those same issues, and me also experiencing them on XB1 and PS4 Pro?

A lot of drives in this game have a "Break" in them, where you will get a first step, and suddenly your player will slow down for no reason (This happens whether your player is tired or not, and even if you have not been spamming turbo). Also on the fastbreak, it happens constantly, where you feel like players are running in slow motion, and they have no burst to them (Everything on the screen is just... sluggish). Changing directions also have hitches in them, and combining that with the sliding makes it feel sluggish, etc.

The gameplay this year is what you could be experiencing the issue with, not your system. Just asking you to keep an open mind.

I agree. I never thought that it had anything to do with my system. To tell you the truth it's a minor issue, not even a problem. I said that I believe that it is poorly optimised. This can be the case on all systems, not just the PC ones.
elsoulas

Postby Dee4Three on Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:53 am

elsoulas wrote:I agree. I never thought that it had anything to do with my system. To tell you the truth it's a minor issue, not even a problem. I said that I believe that it is poorly optimised. This can be the case on all systems, not just the PC ones.

Well you created a thread asking for help about the gameplay feeling sluggish, so I assumed it was impacting your play quite a bit more. For me, the player movement is the most important, so when the players movement is interrupted so often by issues it impacts my enjoyment with the game. And you said it doesn't have to do with the gameplay, well a lot of the things I mentioned absolutely do. Like: The heavy animations in the passing causing a delay, the issues with change of direction, etc.

Glad its not a big issue for you, hope you enjoy the game this year.

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby elsoulas on Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:50 am

The latest patch seems to have smoothed things considerably. Clearly a matter of optimisation.
elsoulas

Postby Dee4Three on Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:45 am

elsoulas wrote:The latest patch seems to have smoothed things considerably. Clearly a matter of optimisation.

Just played after the update.

Feels the same. Players acceleration still feels broken and random, animations are still the same, skating/floating still the same, changing directions is still delayed and feels clunky, you are still getting sucked into players when you shouldnt, passing is still delayed, etc.

Players are also doing euro steps when we don't initiate them. Whether using R stick on the drive or the shoot button, euro steps are happening randomly.

Game feels exactly the same, I could upload a video showing all of these things happening constantly.

These are gameplay issues. You can say you like the game, but the issues I talked about (and you said were there) are still present.

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby Maverick on Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:32 pm

This has been going on starting from 2K15/2K16. If you still actually play 2K14 you'll notice the difference. It's night and day. It's just a matter of getting used to.
Maverick
for Life

Postby Dee4Three on Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:42 pm

Maverick wrote:This has been going on starting from 2K15/2K16. If you still actually play 2K14 you'll notice the difference. It's night and day. It's just a matter of getting used to.

No it started with the new motion system in 2K18, and its even worse this year movement wise.

I play those games all the time, and upload videos to my youtube of gameplay (me playing). I have slow motion side by side comparisons between past 2Ks going back to 2k14 (PC and this gen) and the foot planting is ten times better in those games prior to 2K18. It's not even close. The control you have over your players is better, and the acceleration doesn't break all the time (or speed break in general).

They moved onto a completely different motion system in 2K18 (which is what's being used in 2K19). I play 2K15 still, and I just uploaded a gameplay video recently of 2K16 to my YT channel, and I just got done playing 2K17 tonight with my 06-07 Nuggets (Lost to the 96-97 Heat).

Stating that "I just have to get used it" implying that the SAME issues have been in the games for years, and wkth tbe same severity, and that I am somehow rushing to judgement, is sort of insulting. I called the biggest (gamebreaking) issues early on with 2K18 (defense thread, blow by issue) and during the preview season for 2K19 Wang and other youtubers admitted that the defense was a huge problem, but people still fought me on it all year.

The skating (newly introduced) and floating of the players is a huge problem. And going back to 2K14 through 17, changing directions felt far more natural, foot planting was far better, and just overall the games had more control.

FYI - I put well over 1,000 hours into 2K17 gameplay, and 2K14 has me registered at 3,220 hours on steam (doesn't count all the offline play), and hundreds of hours in the other 2Ks. I'm well versed in the games.

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby Maverick on Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:11 pm

Never really dig that deep into the game. Wasn't even aware of the new motion system. All im saying is the sluggish feel/delay has started when this gen came. I guess it was part of making the game feel different or new compared to the previous games besides the new art, rosters, rookies, animations, etc.. on 2k's pov. Not saying its for the good but for a change. Just my imo

Personally im taking it as a challenge to be good at this new motion system. Wont call it a bug or it needs fixing/patches. Its just how the game is. We all know they wont release the best/perfect basketball sim game because they have to give us a reason to buy the next one and market it as "better" at this or that rather than just a new roster or some animation.

Recently subbed to your YT when you live stream live 19. Im a fan
Maverick
for Life

Postby Dee4Three on Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:32 pm

Maverick wrote:Never really dig that deep into the game. Wasn't even aware of the new motion system. All im saying is the sluggish feel/delay has started when this gen came. I guess it was part of making the game feel different or new compared to the previous games besides the new art, rosters, rookies, animations, etc.. on 2k's pov. Not saying its for the good but for a change. Just my imo

Personally im taking it as a challenge to be good at this new motion system. Wont call it a bug or it needs fixing/patches. Its just how the game is. We all know they wont release the best/perfect basketball sim game because they have to give us a reason to buy the next one and market it as "better" at this or that rather than just a new roster or some animation.

Recently subbed to your YT when you live stream live 19. Im a fan

Thanks for being a subscriber and a fan of the content. I havn't live streamed in a bit, maybe next week.

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Return to NBA 2K19