Re: NBA 2K19 Community Impressions & Reviews

Postby buzzy on Tue Sep 11, 2018 2:05 am

Thanks guys
buzzy
Take it sleazy.
NLSC Team Member

Postby [Hyperize] on Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:40 am

Tattoos are still previewable; only the really cool ones (color, full arm) run 8K.

The skateboard price is ludicrous; I want to be able to move around the Neighborhood fast, but not at that price.

The Ante-Up wheel is stupid, but I feel like if you wait around long enough you're guaranteed a spin.

MyTEAM Triple Threat, Park and the Under Armour Cages are quickly becoming my favorite modes; now that the dust has settled and pieces like Hood and Deng are falling into place, I was looking forward to doing a Cavs MyLEAGUE, but these quick, online 3v3 modes are where it's at. (Y) I one day envision having a Triple Threat team of Arenas, Roy and some other awesome historic player.

fjccommish wrote:What is with Golden State? The shot 8 for 8 from 3 pt land, double and triple teamed, scored 44 1st quarter points with 11 minute quarters. They are way overpowered in this game.

Just wait for real-life.
[Hyperize]

Postby JEDL on Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:22 am

As mentioned by Dommy73, I'm beginning to see that switches in this game are atrocious. Even after I recover from a switch, my teammate still insists on the switch which then leads to an open layup or dunk which can get frustrating. Like dude I'm not switching to Marc Gasol with my 5'7" character.

Also, body collisions can get ridiculous pretty at times. Bumping into someone will sometimes result in a loose ball or a steal. Whenever I run a play, the opponent seems to have psychic powers as he knows where I'm going and tries to push/grab me to precisely prevent me from going in that specific direction or precisely whenever I'm supposed to set a screen. I'd miss plays or my teammates who'd try to get open because this motherfucker knew exactly when I'll set screens. Although there were times I'd expoit the body collisions in MyCareer and force backcourt violations which were hilarious.
JEDL
LuDirk Doncitzki

Postby [Hyperize] on Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:23 am

They've already kinda fixed the Ante-Up wheel; 2 additional 'Got Next' spots, acting as a queue.
[Hyperize]

Postby StyxTx on Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:56 pm

JEDL wrote:As mentioned by Dommy73, I'm beginning to see that switches in this game are atrocious. Even after I recover from a switch, my teammate still insists on the switch which then leads to an open layup or dunk which can get frustrating. Like dude I'm not switching to Marc Gasol with my 5'7" character.

Also, body collisions can get ridiculous pretty at times. Bumping into someone will sometimes result in a loose ball or a steal. Whenever I run a play, the opponent seems to have psychic powers as he knows where I'm going and tries to push/grab me to precisely prevent me from going in that specific direction or precisely whenever I'm supposed to set a screen. I'd miss plays or my teammates who'd try to get open because this motherfucker knew exactly when I'll set screens. Although there were times I'd expoit the body collisions in MyCareer and force backcourt violations which were hilarious.

At times I got the feeling my controller was not only controlling my player, but also the defender. That's the only thing I could figure out about the defender's psychic powers.
StyxTx

Postby JEDL on Tue Sep 11, 2018 2:15 pm

StyxTx wrote:At times I got the feeling my controller was not only controlling my player, but also the defender. That's the only thing I could figure out about the defender's psychic powers.

The CPU can also see your Playvision.
JEDL
LuDirk Doncitzki

Postby ThePointForward on Tue Sep 11, 2018 5:56 pm

I'm less then enthusiast about the locker codes for MyTeam being behind the ball drop mini-game. I was lucky this time to get a pack (and that was all the luck as I drew Heat Check Omri Casspi lmao), but many players got jack shit out of it. At least give em some MyTeam points...

The switching is definitely an issue and I was able to get very clear footage of very tiny bump screen that forces switch for no reason between me and another guard:

phpBB [video]
ThePointForward
Formerly Dommy73

Postby ThePointForward on Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:13 pm

BTW looking at Mike Wang's twitter, seems like they're doing a patch/hotfix today. Unknown whether only in-game or via Steam/Xbox/PS.

Should contain some kind of hotfix for "leave assignment" issues.
ThePointForward
Formerly Dommy73

Postby Dee4Three on Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:35 pm

Dommy73 wrote:I'm less then enthusiast about the locker codes for MyTeam being behind the ball drop mini-game. I was lucky this time to get a pack (and that was all the luck as I drew Heat Check Omri Casspi lmao), but many players got jack shit out of it. At least give em some MyTeam points...

The switching is definitely an issue and I was able to get very clear footage of very tiny bump screen that forces switch for no reason between me and another guard:

phpBB [video]

There is also an issue (I was abusing this constantly on HOF) where you can call for pick, and go the opposite way and succeed almost 100% of the time getting an open look. The on ball defender gets sucked into the pick setter, and automatically plays that side, so you can just go the opposite way. On the Celtics video I posted, you can see it happen a couple times.

The on ball defender is like a magnet to the pick setter.
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Check out my YouTube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvHJXrqit8Dc6HBY5P6EmAA

Follow me on Twitter

https://twitter.com/Dee4Three84
Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby ThePointForward on Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:41 pm

Yeah that happens to me when defending too. Got way less prominent ever since I got silver pick dodger.
ThePointForward
Formerly Dommy73

Postby Dee4Three on Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:48 pm

Dommy73 wrote:Yeah that happens to me when defending too. Got way less prominent ever since I got silver pick dodger.

The problem is: the NBA part of the game hurts with this issue, and it's another case of us wishing we could have separate gameplay for offline play (NBA part) as the majority of NBA players do not have pick dodger, so you can take advantage of almost the entire league with that exploit.
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby ThePointForward on Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:57 pm

Oh, don't think I'm saying it's a good thing. Just an observation from my gameplay.

The suck in screens have been in the game for years now though. I usually call them magnetic.
Similar thing happens with rebounds. When I start cutting to the rim for rebound slightly before the shot the AI is capable of boxing me out even when they should have no business doing so given our positions.
ThePointForward
Formerly Dommy73

Postby Roberto on Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:41 am

gameplay worst than others nba 2k, players very slow, impossible dribbling opponent. CPU players most fastest than yours, when i try to steal, always fault. when you loose ball, impossible defend, CPU is very very fast . Amazing that Ben Simmons faster than Rozier. Don't like that (N) (N)
Roberto

Postby Dee4Three on Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:04 am

Dommy73 wrote:Oh, don't think I'm saying it's a good thing. Just an observation from my gameplay.

The suck in screens have been in the game for years now though. I usually call them magnetic.
Similar thing happens with rebounds. When I start cutting to the rim for rebound slightly before the shot the AI is capable of boxing me out even when they should have no business doing so given our positions.

Absolutely, the suck in screens have been in the game since atleast 2K15.

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby Uncle Drew on Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:15 am

Also, it may be just me, but do you find shooting harder, and the CPU makes every open look there is? One thing I will say, shot making behind screens have been minimized to a degree. The shooter doesn't make as many.
Uncle Drew

Postby Dee4Three on Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:17 am

Uncle Drew wrote:Also, it may be just me, but do you find shooting harder, and the CPU makes every open look there is? One thing I will say, shot making behind screens have been minimized to a degree. The shooter doesn't make as many.

The shooting animations are a lot faster this year, the animations themselves. Shoot with Kyrie and you will see what I mean (or go into the video sections and watch my Celtics vs 76ers video, you will see on my pull up three).

A lot of shot animations look and feel like "rocket" animations.

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby ThePointForward on Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:46 pm

Keep in mind that right stick D is vital this year. If you're not defending with right stick you aren't gonna have a good time.
ThePointForward
Formerly Dommy73

Postby Dee4Three on Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:08 pm

Dommy73 wrote:Keep in mind that right stick D is vital this year. If you're not defending with right stick you aren't gonna have a good time.

Always have.

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby BronBron06 on Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:54 pm

I watched my friend play MYGM
8 games 2-3 injured players per game
Also rotations of Player AI defending the perimiter is dumb
Btw, is Lonnie Walker really moving that fast irl, rating for speed, quickness seems too high?

(N) (N) (N)
100% Not picking this up,
BronBron06

Postby Dee4Three on Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:00 pm

The being "glued" to players and running into "invisible walls" is the worst this year, it might be the worst on this or last gen.

You will round a corner (clumsy and sliding) and actually have free space to get to the hoop, only to hit an invisible wall, as the game believes that the defender on your side who isn't even touching is somehow in front of you, or the games collision technology is just so poor, that you are a magnet to anything in your area.

This happens underneath the hoop as well, where you will have a ton of space to go up, and you will suddenly be pushed into a nearby defender when you go up for the shot, and usually when you go up at that point, the shot goes high off the glass and hits the front of the rim or no rim at all.

The body steals are the worst they have ever been, as the ball is constantly being jarred even when your defender isn't going for a steal. It's constantly getting caught on things and dropping to the floor. Body blocks happen a lot as well, and this has plagued the franchise for years.

This game is like a beautiful sports car, that gets ooooohs and ahhhhhhs when on display and not running. But when you look under the hood, it's missing a motor.

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby BronBron06 on Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:47 pm

Dee4Three wrote:The body steals are the worst they have ever been, as the ball is constantly being jarred even when your defender isn't going for a steal. It's constantly getting caught on things and dropping to the floor. Body blocks happen a lot as well, and this has plagued the franchise for years.

Yes and I thought 2k18 was bad
BronBron06

Postby ThePointForward on Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:55 pm

I actually didn't have issues with body steals this year. Only once where I did real dum-dum and ran into two defenders.

As for the steals, I do use protect stance a lot so that plays part in that.
With right stick steals I am not called on reach-in too often.

But yeah, YMMV, that's why we have these threads.
ThePointForward
Formerly Dommy73

Postby Maximus89 on Sat Sep 15, 2018 6:08 am

I've been away from 2k for a while. Just haven't liked any of the next gen versions. Tried out 2k19 to see if it improved over 2k18. Feels the same but i only played 2k18 a few times when it first released. It just wasn't fun. Started on pro difficulty and i'm frustrated to no end. It's like i have no control over my players. The gameplay feels really slow and sluggish, and getting stuck in some animation where you can't do anything while the CPU just drains every shot or dribbles right by you b/c you can't control your player on defense with the slow movement.

Admittedly i suck at 2k these days, but i can still tell what's fun and what's not when i suck or when im good at a game. This is just not fun. My first attempt was a 1 on 1 game MJ vs LeBron and LeBron is so ridiculously over powered on defense even though he was one of the worst defenders in the entire NBA last season. He has like almost every badge including elite defensive badges and ratings and even mid range and post up things that MJ was clearly the best at and LeBron is no where near. But never mind the LeBron homer ratings. I couldn't move or do anything as MJ with LeBron absolutely locked on my body. On defense, maybe i'm not aware, but is there a lock on button for D? LT? Doesn't matter, whatever i tried, i couldn't control my player. No ability to lock left me trying to guess where LeBron would go and my player would go into some animation where he half assed moves to the direction i move him in and LeBron just drives by for a dunk. I'd imagine it'd be the same results with any player i'm controlling, i.e. LBJ vs LBJ.

I played my first full game as the current Rockets vs current Lakers. 1st quarter. Harden goes down after a jump shot. Out for the game. 2nd quarter. Melo goes down after a jump shot. Out for the game. Late 2nd quarter. CP3 goes down after a jump shot. Came back in the 2nd half. I got blown out while Lebron was nailing mid range and post fadeaways like he was MJ and the rest of the Lakers were shooting like they were the Warriors. They got to the basket at will while i could barely move into the free throw range with bodies draped over me. PNR was completely ineffective even though Harden and CP3 are the 2 best in the game and Capela one of the top roll men. I just couldn't do anything but get stuck in dribble animations where they stumble bc the defender was draped all over me.

2nd game i played. 96 Bulls vs current Warriors. 1st quarter. Start out bad, but eventually get going with MJ in the post and take early lead then Jordan goes down after a jump shot. Hadn't returned by the 2nd quarter when Scottie Pippen goes down after a jump shot. At that point Curry and Klay hit like 5 threes in a row. I just up and quit and turned off the game, but mostly due to the constant injuries to my star players.

Harden,Melo, MJ, Pippen all went down via injury on the same animation. After a jump shot and landing and grabbing their ankle. CP3 animation was an OPEN jump shot and he fell forward and leaned and got up and started limping.

Sure i can just turn injuries off or turn the slider down really low, but overall the game is just so slow and not fun at all. I'll give it a try on rookie next, but i suspect nothing will change because it's the gameplay i can't get into.
Maximus89

Postby Dee4Three on Sat Sep 15, 2018 1:09 pm

This is all in the first 3 minutes of the game, and it's not even close to covering all of it (Because it's happening constantly).

The player movement is absolutely terrible this year. Constant breaks in speed, constant skating and floating, and terrible animations going to the hoop. I've already sent the feedback many times to 2K, but they really have to implement some foot planting in this game. Like in the video, you will literally see players floating above the court, and you can see it from the broadcast view as well. Its really obvious, it destroys the feel for me. At 2:16 into the video, you can see the "sucked in" thing that happens ALL THE TIME in this game. Favors literally gets dragged into two defenders (And of courtse is sliding). You are constantly being forced into people like magnets.

People don't move like this, they have to do better.I made this video "unlisted" on youtube, as I'll probably be making a video review of this game shortly and I'll be going over this in depth.

phpBB [video]

I've been going back and forth between 2K18 and 2K19. And a few things stand out:

1. The graphics in 2K19 are way better. The HD effect blows away 2K18, and the lighting is better on the floors and arenas overall, the graphics are not as washed out in 2K19, and the players have a little more definition.

2. 2K18 had skating, but it didn't have as many speed breaks, and the skating wasn't as bad (but it was still terrible). In 2K18, you are not constantly being sucked into players all over the floor.

3. 2K18 has better overall movement, still not good, but better. Taking corners/changing directions feels better than 2K19. I feel like the hitting invisible walls, broken acceleration issues, change of direction issues are caused by 2K trying to fix the defense exploits from last year by limiting movement (as otherwise, they couldn't fix it with the current system). Just my guess, but it's possible.

4. 2K18 has less crazy animations. Players don't take off as often from really far out, less wild one handers, etc.

5.In 2K19, you are dragged from almost the 3 point line into the lane a lot. You will step in after an upfake to shoot a jumper, and your player will be forced into a driving animation (a wild one) towards the hoop. Not only that, the game forces you to do euro steps a lot even when you don't initiate them. In 2K18, I didn't get dragged from the perimieter to the hoop nearly as much.

2K18 was terrible for me gameplay wise, but 2K19 does several things worse. It's more tolerable somehow because atleast I can't score any time I want in 2K19, but both games gameplay is some of the worst in the series.

Another positive for 2K19, though. Shots on the move feel and look better than most games on this gen. In a game where sliding take center stage, it's puzzling that this aspect is solid.

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby Dee4Three on Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:12 am

Here is a typical drive in this game.

Kobe is floating above the court, it impacts his speed causing a speed break in the game, making the drive feel clunky and unorthodox. He isnt just floating, his feet stay together as he glides like a witch on a broom through the air. This was felt on broadcast view and seen, as well as obviously in slow motion.

There is literally no debating this, it's a problem that needs to be addressed.

phpBB [video]

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

PreviousNext

Return to NBA 2K19