Demo Impressions Thread

Talk about NBA Live 19 here.

Re: Demo Impressions Thread

Postby jayzmagz on Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:20 pm

NBA Live's commentary needs to be fixed. When I played the demo, I heard the same lines a lot in the same game. Especially the one when he says "the player who is Elite does not mean he should shoot anytime" something around those line. I never mute commentary but I might do it with Live 19 if ever I decide to buy the game.

This is the positive side for NBA 2K's different commentary team. But the problem with 2K is that they are doing an overkill with it.

Speaking of the Live demo, I agree with players feeling a bit heavy when controlling them. This is my problem with Live 18 and I still feel it with Live 19. I still notice some teleportation when doing drives but not that much. Will play it more again since I have limited time playing it but I really like what I see.
jayzmagz

Postby CarolusXCI on Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:49 pm

Yesterday I played NBA live 07 for PC and seriously, the commentary is better than the one present on Live 19. I heard like 5 different custom lines for Wade in 20 minutes, each one being 20 seconds long more or less.

The fact that this year's commentary is comparable to a game released two generations ago is really not good. That Jay Williams dude doesn't help either.
CarolusXCI

Postby Andrew on Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:49 am

It's possible some of the commentary is stripped down for the demo, and only having the two teams doesn't help. They do have plans to push through more commentary as the season goes on as well, so it's something that could evolve. That being said, I'm not a fan of Ed Cohen's delivery, or Jay Williams at all. Call it bitterness over him being such a bust and also for being laughably anti-MJ, but the guy has some really awful takes. They should've kept him on NCAA coverage; he's about as good analysing as the NBA as he was playing in the NBA.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Dee4Three on Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:58 am

Cohen doesn't bother me as much, his delivery is a little off though (It sounds like you are listening to the game on the radio as opposed to watching it on tv). I actually prefer his commentary at the moment over Chris Webbers in 2K17, where Webber just rambles on for like 30 seconds about almost nothing.

Jay Williams has to go, he adds nothing but annoyance in the game. I wish I could just shut off his side of the commentary, it would make it a little more acceptable.
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Check out my YouTube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvHJXrqit8Dc6HBY5P6EmAA

Follow me on Twitter

https://twitter.com/Dee4Three84
Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:21 am

I'd agree with that. Bottom line, while there were issues with the commentary in recent games, Mike Breen and Jeff Van Gundy were still better than this duo. Being the lead announce team for the NBA on ESPN and NBA on ABC carries a certain weight, too.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby [Hyperize] on Thu Aug 30, 2018 7:58 am

So I read the reason for the commentary change is because it's easier/more affordable to bring in Cohen/Williams (had to look up their names again, lol) to do dynamic commentary during the season than Breen/Van Gundy; that's the right intention and certainly commendable, but not worth it in my opinion.
[Hyperize]

Postby Andrew on Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:57 am

Definitely agreed.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby [Q] on Thu Aug 30, 2018 4:44 pm

The question is whether it was worth it if the new lines are still going to be as bad as the original stuff lol

It's a good idea by EA, I appreciate the effort to make the game better
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby I Hate Mondays on Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:06 pm

Just switched from PC gaming to PS4 pro gaming yesterday. The first thing I did after playing a couple of hours of God of War was to play this demo.
Everything feels so different coming from a guy who played 2K for over 8 years; different yet satisfying. I won't have the time to play both 2K and this, so I will have to chose one of these two games.
With all the gameplay coming from IGN for 2K19, NBA Live 19 has a strong case for me this year, just because I want a fresh feel and 2K19 looks like it's going to be a patched 2K18.
I Hate Mondays

Postby StyxTx on Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:15 pm

I'm not concerned with commentary. I have it turned off anyway (couldn't stand Van Gundy plus it's just repetitive). How's the game play?
StyxTx

Postby Andrew on Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:44 pm

I covered my positives and negatives above, but basically, the feel is pretty good. There's room for improvement in terms of realistic strategy on the NBA side of things.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Dee4Three on Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:33 pm

StyxTx wrote:I'm not concerned with commentary. I have it turned off anyway (couldn't stand Van Gundy plus it's just repetitive). How's the game play?

Much improved. Go watch my video in the NBA Live 19 Video thread. It shows you the improvement ements in movement, the game is a lot less stiff.
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby [Q] on Fri Aug 31, 2018 1:40 am

StyxTx wrote:I'm not concerned with commentary. I have it turned off anyway (couldn't stand Van Gundy plus it's just repetitive).

I actually didn't mind the repetitiveness, and I might be imagining things but we might have gotten a couple of new lines throughout the year. Either way, this is a good idea and I might wind up muting them and just play some music
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby StompTheCourt on Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:42 pm

So I am not going to go into deep detail I am just going to go over the differences I noticed from last year.
First I am going to say and this is my opinion, last years Live was garbage! I was so upset with my self
because I took it home and played it for 20 min and instantly regretted purchasing the game, not to mention I knew
GameStop was going to give me less than half of what I paid for it.

OK so the Demo so far so good, definitely not as stiff a lot more free flowing
the cross overs and moves can be a little smoother when trying to free your self of for some space
to take it to the rim.

players do still feel a little heavy but overall its not bad at all, I think the shooting can be a lot better
the shot meter is super slow and honestly they do not need it
I actually wish all basketball games would do away with the shot meter and go back to
knowing when you get to the top of your shot and release it when the user feels it.

I only played The Rise of the One so my feed back is based off that experience only
I just had two babies so I play when I can
tonight ill play more 5 on 5 actual NBA games and come and edit this post.
StompTheCourt
NBA2K Modding Vet
Contributor

Postby Andrew on Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:50 pm

Pretty sure you can turn the Shot Meter off, same as in NBA 2K. I think it's a better approach to have it on default, as people tend to go looking for ways to turn stuff off, but not necessarily to enable features. Just one of those weird things, so it's better to present that stuff up front and allow people to shut it off if they don't want it.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby StompTheCourt on Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:52 pm

Andrew wrote:Pretty sure you can turn the Shot Meter off, same as in NBA 2K. I think it's a better approach to have it on default, as people tend to go looking for ways to turn stuff off, but not necessarily to enable features. Just one of those weird things, so it's better to present that stuff up front and allow people to shut it off if they don't want it.

I was unaware of this in live so ill give that a go.
2K turning off never helped me seemed to miss more with it off.
StompTheCourt
NBA2K Modding Vet
Contributor

Postby Andrew on Sat Sep 01, 2018 12:18 am

2K also has the rumble feedback to indicate the optimal release point, which is often more helpful than the meter.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby jayzmagz on Sat Sep 01, 2018 12:26 am

Anybody tried playing the demo with the new update on? Haven't downloaded it since I'm downloading other things at the moment.
jayzmagz

Postby Andrew on Sat Sep 01, 2018 12:30 am

I'm playing The Prelude at the moment, but I'll give it a try over the weekend when I'm finished with that.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby StompTheCourt on Sat Sep 01, 2018 12:52 am

Andrew wrote:2K also has the rumble feedback to indicate the optimal release point, which is often more helpful than the meter.

Andrew I was unaware
since I stopped playing PC and being away from the community since 2K15
I had no clue, I guess its good that I am back I am going to try that
I assume that's just in the same option to turn off shot meter?
StompTheCourt
NBA2K Modding Vet
Contributor

Postby Dee4Three on Sat Sep 01, 2018 12:55 am

A couple things the more I play the game:

I love the fact that body steals/body blocks are not a problem in Live. However, the picking up the ball so often when a bump happens is frustrating. Hopefully they can tweak that (I sent that feedback out).

I have the full game on EA Access, and the arena lighting is very similar to 2K. Live went from being bright, and vibrant (Which matched the exciting crowd), to dark and MOSTLY dull, with the exception of the awesome floor reflections and floor details. The game is darker than it should be.

Overall, this game feels FAR more SIM than 2K18, and possibly 2K19 (Which I am trying when I get home). I can't find any exploits on defense, I have to think on offense (Or else my passes will be stolen, or I won't get a good look), the overall NBA feel certainly feels more simulation. Which is what I was looking for.

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Sat Sep 01, 2018 1:17 am

StompTheCourt wrote:
Andrew wrote:2K also has the rumble feedback to indicate the optimal release point, which is often more helpful than the meter.

Andrew I was unaware
since I stopped playing PC and being away from the community since 2K15
I had no clue, I guess its good that I am back I am going to try that
I assume that's just in the same option to turn off shot meter?

That's right, all those options are under the Control settings.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby sticky-fingers on Sat Sep 01, 2018 1:29 am

Dee4Three wrote:and the arena lighting is very similar to 2K. Live went from being bright, and vibrant (Which matched the exciting crowd), to dark and MOSTLY dull, with the exception of the awesome floor reflections and floor details. The game is darker than it should be.

it's basicly what i wrote here, glad you admit it (Y)
sticky-fingers

Postby Dee4Three on Sat Sep 01, 2018 1:37 am

sticky-fingers wrote:
Dee4Three wrote:and the arena lighting is very similar to 2K. Live went from being bright, and vibrant (Which matched the exciting crowd), to dark and MOSTLY dull, with the exception of the awesome floor reflections and floor details. The game is darker than it should be.

it's basicly what i wrote here, glad you admit it (Y)

I said the atmosphere is better in Live, and I stick by that. I also said the reflections were better, and the court lighting was better. Personally, I prefer the courts in Live, but now that I have seen more of them (Outside of two teams) I can say that overall the court lighting is unrealistically dark.

"Glad you admit it" like I have held anything back, or have shown bias. I'll say like I said before, cut the shit and stop trying to start trouble. Absolutely no need for that and unnecessary, its also unfounded, as I have been completely honest with my takes on games since I joined the NLSC.

Don't be a childish punk.

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby sticky-fingers on Sat Sep 01, 2018 2:03 am

Well, it just took you a week for saying what Bongo (with screenshots) and I said, but you werent biased... :cheeky:

Dee4Three wrote:Don't be a childish punk.

you wouldn't switch roles with that kind of phrase ? :cheeky:
sticky-fingers

PreviousNext

Return to NBA Live 19