Converting Cyber faces 2K17 and 2K18 *NEW Discovery*

A hub for everything related to NBA 2K18 modding. Releases, previews, requests, and other modding discussion belongs here.

Re: Converting Cyber faces 2K17 and 2K18 *NEW Discovery*

Postby stamsammy on Sat May 26, 2018 6:11 am

All this progress is mind blowing! Keep up the amazing work.
Converting all the new rookies cf's to 2k17 is something I can't wait to do! :D
stamsammy

Postby Dee4Three on Sat May 26, 2018 6:20 am

stamsammy wrote:All this progress is mind blowing! Keep up the amazing work.

This is something I was thinking about, but we have to get the 3D hair figured out first. Even if it means just using hair from other players in 2K17 and not converting the exact 2K18 hair.

I was thinking of converting rookies to add to my draft roster.
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Check out my YouTube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvHJXrqit8Dc6HBY5P6EmAA

Follow me on Twitter

https://twitter.com/Dee4Three84
Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby trevorjpt33 on Sat May 26, 2018 11:21 am

Good news: the changing of the posture in blender when there is the eye popping/rolling applies to both games. These issues do not happen with every conversion but it is good to know that a worst case scenario can be resolved (especially when the source png's eyes are a different distance apart horizontally). Just could be more tedious depending on the situation.

So whether you are converting to 2K17 or to 2K18, any weird eye animations can be solved this way: by going to edit mode, turning on proportional editing, and selecting the head and part of the neck in order to tilt the head to the player posture of whichever game you are converting to. It goes beyond pasting in values or moving the eyes alone, so the result likely will depend on the attention you put into it. Maybe at some point we could do a tutorial, because if you're new to blender edit mode can be difficult to work in.
trevorjpt33

Postby trevorjpt33 on Sat May 26, 2018 11:29 am

Dee4Three wrote:

This is something I was thinking about, but we have to get the 3D hair figured out first. Even if it means just using hair from other players in 2K17 and not converting the exact 2K18 hair.

An update on 3D hair in 2K17 - I showed my brother (a software engineer) the files for 2K18 as compared to 2K17 and told him what our end goal was and he said converting 2K18 hair to 2K17 won't work. However, he did say that there is a good chance swapping hair in 2K17 will work. We should turn our focus to 2K17 hair now.
trevorjpt33

Postby Dee4Three on Sat May 26, 2018 1:34 pm

trevorjpt33 wrote:
Dee4Three wrote:

An update on 3D hair in 2K17 - I showed my brother (a software engineer) the files for 2K18 as compared to 2K17 and told him what our end goal was and he said converting 2K18 hair to 2K17 won't work. However, he did say that there is a good chance swapping hair in 2K17 will work. We should turn our focus to 2K17 hair now.

Yeah that's what I was saying earlier. I think that 2K17 to 2K17 is possible, because now the player opens up like a 2K17 player in blender.

Is there a tutorial on swapping 3D hair for 2K17? I want to give it a try.
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby jjchua on Sat May 26, 2018 6:15 pm

I hope someone can make a video in the future for a full tutorial of converting cf's to 2k17 to 2k18 and vice versa because both two games can benefit of this especially in retro roster.
When you want to say something, make sure your brain is plugged in!!!
jjchua

Postby Dee4Three on Sat May 26, 2018 11:15 pm

jjchua wrote:I hope someone can make a video in the future for a full tutorial of converting cf's to 2k17 to 2k18 and vice versa because both two games can benefit of this especially in retro roster.

I plan on making a video for 2K18 to 2K17 conversions.

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby Dee4Three on Tue May 29, 2018 4:37 am

Converted Mr.Stars amazing Vince Carter from 2K18 to 2K17. Only things that are my edits are:

1. Shrinkwrapped a 2K17 body onto him, and gave him some custom muscle.
2. Made his head SLIGHTLY smaller, because 2K18 has some bigger heads.
3. Made his skin tone and wrinkles match, because they are naturally the wrong color when the initial conversion takes place.

All credit to Mr. Star for the base. Sorry to those who have wanted me to release some of these conversions, busy last few days and I'm doing final touch-ups. For faces that were not 2K made, for example, Mr. Stars, I will be posting the links for my conversions, but next to those links will be to the original authors thread, with full credit given to the original author.

This came out great!

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby trevorjpt33 on Tue May 29, 2018 10:44 am

Unfortunately it doesn't look like adding 2K17 hair is going to work for conversions to 2K17. As it turns out, the fundamental issue is still the same as it is for 2K18 hair, even though the formatting is different. You are taking the body model from one scene file and the 3D hair from another scene file. And exporting 2 files (or objects) together is not allowed. Copying in the "Prim" and "Shader" sections of the hair model into the .SCNE file does nothing, nor does any other sort of renaming or tinkering with the hihead.SCNE file.

You either have to somehow reference TWO .model files in the hihead.SCNE or you have to find a way to combine the two .model files in blender AND actually get the combined file to export as one single .model file. I am out of ideas so I am going to put this one to rest for now.

It could still be possible - I'm not going to say I have the knowledge to make that determination that it is not doable. If anyone else wants to give it a try, go for it. Especially if there is anyone with advanced knowledge in blender or who understands metadata. The one good thing is that since the problem is the same for applying 2K17 and 2K18 hair to players converted to 2K17, I think figuring it out would enable us to use hair from both games. It looks like all-or-nothing.
trevorjpt33

Postby Dee4Three on Tue May 29, 2018 12:37 pm

trevorjpt33 wrote:Unfortunately it doesn't look like adding 2K17 hair is going to work for conversions to 2K17. As it turns out, the fundamental issue is still the same as it is for 2K18 hair, even though the formatting is different. You are taking the body model from one scene file and the 3D hair from another scene file. And exporting 2 files (or objects) together is not allowed. Copying in the "Prim" and "Shader" sections of the hair model into the .SCNE file does nothing, nor does any other sort of renaming or tinkering with the hihead.SCNE file.

You either have to somehow reference TWO .model files in the hihead.SCNE or you have to find a way to combine the two .model files in blender AND actually get the combined file to export as one single .model file. I am out of ideas so I am going to put this one to rest for now.

It could still be possible - I'm not going to say I have the knowledge to make that determination that it is not doable. If anyone else wants to give it a try, go for it. Especially if there is anyone with advanced knowledge in blender or who understands metadata. The one good thing is that since the problem is the same for applying 2K17 and 2K18 hair to players converted to 2K17, I think figuring it out would enable us to use hair from both games. It looks like all-or-nothing.

I'm frustrated. I spent hours today trying to make hair convert either from 2K18 to 2K17, or 2K17 to 2K17. I was using the below Dirk to test. This is VOIDS MVP Dirk, so all credit to him with the base. I did the full conversion to 2K17 from 2K18, he looks amazing. BUT, he has 3D hair in VOIDS original. It makes his hair look unrealistically short for that season. I tried using 2K18's shader/hair files, and vice versa, I tried combining in Blender, etc. I'm at a loss.

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby Dee4Three on Mon Jun 04, 2018 4:57 am

Just a heads up. Now that conversion from 2K18 o 2K17 have been fully figured out (With the exception of 3D hair), I started a thread over in the 2K17 section. Here is the link: viewtopic.php?f=225&t=105587

For those interested, here is the first post in that thread. I figured it was worth posting here as well so you could see how good these conversions come out, and to give credit to the 2K18 cyberface creators original work. I converted mostly work from Mr. Star, but also from YG13 (VOID), Awei1121, and Basagre28. Links to the original creators threads are part of the post in the 2K17 section (See below). This gives the onlooker the opportunity to go and download the 2K18 creators original version, which is the way it should be.

MY POST IN THE 2K17 SECTION BELOW

Hi all,

It's taken me over a week to get these conversions right. This includes me editing the face texture to match the body, shrinkwrapping the players with 2K17 bodies and adding my own muscle, making sure the eyes worked properly and that no jersey clipping was present, editing the face structure of a few of the players, etc. It's been a ton of trial and error to get these right, but I think you will love the final results.

Some credit needs to be given to Trevor and TGsoGood on the NLSC for getting me started, as Trevor figured out that this was possible and put out the basic tutorial, and TGsoGood figured out the a resolve for the face texture issue. Trevor was amazing with the troubleshooting process, him and I worked a few days on it to make sure we could do full conversions. Also credit to the original makes of the cyberfaces (You will see credits below). In this cyberface pack, 9 conversions exist, only 2 of which were the original game cyberfaces. The other 7 were made by the talented NLSC community. I have also supplied links to the original creators 2K18 threads, that way if you are also playing 2K18, you can download the original work.

Note: Most of these are compatible with my Draft, All-Time Teams and Classic Teams rosters. Dirk however, has a CF number of 2198 assigned to him because thats what has on my unreleased V2 of my classic teams roster. If you want to use that Dirk before I release my V2, you can assign it using the Limnono Modifier. Same with Westbrook, who I believe has a different assigned number for the 11-12 Thunder in my roster.

Hope you enjoy, let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks!

Download Link

http://www.mediafire.com/file/sb55rcmkbjbk3d8/2K18%20to%202K17%20Conversion%20Pack.zip

Michael Jordan - 88-89 through 92-93

Original 2K18 creation by Awei1211.

viewtopic.php?f=236&t=105400

Shawn Kemp - 95-96 Version - 2K18 original

Vince Carter - 99-00 and 05-06

Original 2K18 creation by Mr. Star.

viewtopic.php?f=236&t=105281

Dirk Nowitzki - 06-07 Version

Original 2K18 creation by YG13 also known as VOID

viewtopic.php?f=236&t=104096&p=1913676&hilit=dirk+nowitzki#p1913676

Paul Pierce - 07-08 Version - 2K18 Original

Kevin Garnett - 03-04 and 07-08 Version

Original 2K18 Creation by Mr. Star

viewtopic.php?f=236&t=105281

Chris Webber - 00 through 06

Original 2K18 creation by Mr. Star

viewtopic.php?f=236&t=105281&hilit=chris+webber

Derek Fisher - 09-10 Version

Original 2K18 creation by Mr. Star

viewtopic.php?f=236&t=105281&hilit=chris+webber

Russell Westbrook - 11-12 Version

Original 2K18 creation by BASAGRE28

viewtopic.php?f=236&t=104137

NOTE: This has also been uploaded to the NLSC database/Downloads section: 2K18 to 2K17 Conversion Cyberface Pack

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby sticky-fingers on Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:05 am

Sorry for the bump, but about conversions, any to convert 2K16 faces on 2K17 or 2K18 ? 2K did better job on some faces (Nash, Kemps, K.Perkins etc...)
sticky-fingers

Previous

Return to NBA 2K18 Modding